You're hired! As the new GM what are the first moves you make?

IkeaMonkey*

He is a great player, but he wouldn't bring enough to the team to turn things around before he becomes a FA and leaves..

At the ripe old age of...41 when his contract expires...

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Since Kovalchuk is a scrub now and not good enough to fix last place caps we trade shultz laich and a 3rd for Patrick Kane

no im not serious at all in the post

foundhockey

Apr 29, 2012
Georgia, USA
I don't know if that would solve much. Poti has had his moments, but he's way more solid than I ever thought he would be upon return. Also Kolvalchuk doesn't add enough to the team over Brouwer. If we could trade a 2nd, Schultz(poti if not) and someone like Ward/Fehr/Beagle

You're joking about Kovalchuk, right?

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Of course it's speculation and all done in good fun. That IS the point. So is talking about how much we hate gmgm or talking about what ovi has to do to perform. I'm 99% sure ovi doesn't read hfboards. It's just like a forum version of GM mode on NHL13.

:biglaugh:

NoMoreChoking

Sep 30, 2009
I take one of the red rockers on an expensive date. Then make a move from there.

Amidoinitrite?

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Pretty easy.

I would do a lot of what the guy from ESPN suggests.

Sign Hendricks.

Talk to Ribeiro and see if he's looking for a 2-3 year deal. Money doesn't matter. Under 5 hopefully, if not, thanks anyhow. If he doesn't want one, he's on the trade list.

Move anything not tied down. Most near the deadline, trying to pool as many picks as possible.

Value I'd want would be as follows:

Chimera [2nd or a 3rd], Ribeiro (if he didn't want to sign)[1st or decent prospect + 2nd/prospect], Brouwer [1st], Wolski[4th], Ward [4th], Poti[2nd or 3rd], Hamrlik[4th-6th pending on performance/deadline], Schultz [Free. maybe a 4th if someone is nuts], and Hillen [7th] would all be fair game to move. I would take calls on Laich [2 key parts, 1st + prospect] if healthy, and probably Backstrom/Green [3 Significant pieces, at least one ready now] if someone wanted to do something stupid.

I would hope to get at least a couple of picks for this draft.

Play the heck out of the kid goalies. Figure which one I want, deal the other this summer. Think about Mike Smith/Backstrom or a 1 or 2 year fix this summer.

Summer time. Get young again. Move whatever was left. sign one or two ok vets. Get a tough customer.

Load up on Corey Perry or Getzlaf. Preferably Perry. Kick the tires on Nathan Horton. See about Stephen Weiss. See about Hainsey. Look into PM Bouchard. Sign David Clarkson.

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
I buy a really comfortable office chair. GM's should have one of those. Also, I learn to ice skate because nobody on the team is going to care what I think about hockey or do what I say if I can't skate. Then I'd probably ask Don Cherry or Mike Keenan if they'd be interested in coaching my team for the rest of the year. 1. We'd continue to lose and end up with a sweet draft pick. 2. The players would learn some humility and maybe when they report to camp next year they would be ready to actually play hockey and not count their money. 3. Any player who isn't "on-board" with the new fascist coach gets traded at the deadline.

I'm not for rebuilding but I am for cleaning house. There is a cancer at Kettler. I'm not sure who all it is but I'm sure I could find out by the deadline.

CrashTheNet9

Jul 11, 2011
I buy a really comfortable office chair. GM's should have one of those. Also, I learn to ice skate because nobody on the team is going to care what I think about hockey or do what I say if I can't skate. Then I'd probably ask Don Cherry or Mike Keenan if they'd be interested in coaching my team for the rest of the year. 1. We'd continue to lose and end up with a sweet draft pick. 2. The players would learn some humility and maybe when they report to camp next year they would be ready to actually play hockey and not count their money. 3. Any player who isn't "on-board" with the new fascist coach gets traded at the deadline.

I'm not for rebuilding but I am for cleaning house. There is a cancer at Kettler. I'm not sure who all it is but I'm sure I could find out by the deadline.

Well if you are the new GM then you already eradicated the cause of the cancer.

PuckBuddy

Green for Selke
Jul 14, 2009
Seattle, WA
We're all armchair hero's here let's hear it!

EDIT: I'd also like the question, does anyone think that Dale Hunter quit because he knew how ****** GMGM was and how he could never win with this team and how he knew it was gonna deteriorate?

George? Izzat you?

SlappaDaBass

May 7, 2012
1. I'd upperdeck Ted's private toilet
2. Throw Green's scooter off the top of the parking garage at Ketler
3. Take the excess money left over from the cap space and buy a **** load of white and blow it all in my office everyday while the Caps practice at Kettler
4. Verbally abuse Schultz during each practice until he breaks down crying then fire him. Tell everyone they're going to be the next verbal punching bag unless they start playing with some heart.
5. I poll the team asking them if they like it here, where they would want to go if traded and where they wouldn't want to go.
6. For all that said they wanted to leave I would trade them to the city they wouldn't want to go.
7. Tell the team I'm not to be ****ed with
8. Sit back for the rest of the season finishing off the blow

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
First thing I would do is hold a press conference to explain how cool I am and how awesome the team was going to be under me. Then I'd power up NHL '13 and see what I could do!

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
So, no changes from the current administration?

Heh, that's awesome, I laughed.

If I'm the new GM, first thing I do is figure out how many and which of the current players fit the style of play that I plan to run. Then I'd find a coach who runs the style of play and has the type of demeanor that I want in a coach. Then together we'd ship out any one who doesn't fit, and re-build around whats left.

The problem with the Caps has been chasing a style and a system like it was the latest fad. From Wilson and his trap, to Cassidy and god knows what that was, to the defensive muddle of Hanlon, to the wide open player friendly Boudreau, then we tried to make Boudreau into a defensive trapper, to the defensively tight and strict Hunter that no players liked, to this artsy fartsy style that Oates wants to run.

GMGM was changed directions like the wind, and has had a never ending stream of rosters mismatched to their coach. Until that approach ends, nothing changes.

So on my first day, I set about determining my franchise's approach and then I stick to that plan, and fill the organization with people who are on board with that plan. Making OV go from Hanlon to BBv1 to BBv2 to Hunter to Oates, what else would anyone expect of him but to fall apart?

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
To borrow from and edit a favorite phrase delivered to me personally from GMGM about 13 years ago, "we're not the NJ Devils yet". Supposed to have been about 9 years ago, but never really made it.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Address the goaltending situation right away. I would fire Dave Prior and pre mote Kolzig as the full-time goaltending coach. I would trade Neuvirth to a team that needs a backup (Flyers or Canadiens) for a pick. Holtby has shown he is not ready to be a #1 yet, but you keep him as the backup, so he can still play some games and learn the NHL shooters when he is on the bench. Sending him back down to Hershey will ruin his development, as he has had too much exposure to the NHL level to be playing against AHL players again.

If a Neuvirth trade can't be worked out with the Flyers or Canadiens, then you package him in a deal for either Nabokov, Bernier, Khabibulin, Harding, Luongo(yes despite the contract), Emery, Vokoun(they should have tried to re-sign him) or Hedberg. This team badly needs some stability in net, even for this season. The Neuvy/Holtby platoon is not going to work itself out for the better.

Once Hillen and hopefully Orlov, are back, at the trade deadline you try to trade Hamrlik, Poti and Schultz for low picks to teams needing defensive depth for the playoffs or playoff run.

Oh, I don't give a hoot about Ovechkin's feelings, as I will strip the C from him and give it to Laich, period.

I would also be calling teams about trade interest for Kuznetsov. If he hasn't come over yet, before he did the 2 year Tracktor agreement, then my feeling is he won't come to the Caps even after the Olympics. I would try to convince another team that they have a better chance of getting him over here, possibly like the Redwings for good Russian player support or the Oilers for a good fit with their style of play.

I would trade Marcus Johansson as part of package for either a starting goaltender or scoring winger, as he will never adept to Oates system.

Down in Hershey I would make sure Grubauer is getting like 50-55 starts and delegating the rest to Sabourin. Grubauer's development has even been faster than Varlamov's, Neuvirth's and Holtby's. Let's develop him the right way and not mess up like his predecessors.

This is all for now, but I will have more to come.

Last edited:

n3ss

Nov 29, 2011
Hire Frank Underwood to strongarm other GM's into making favorable trades with us.

n3ss

Nov 29, 2011
NHL 13 style fire sale. Acquire 3 top 10 picks, and another 3 or 4 in the top 60 (all with roster picks - no Foppa or Kuznetzov). Draft at least two high end centers and a promising D pick. Tank this year and next.

Forsberg - Riberio - Kuzentzov
Drouin - McDavid - Mackinnon
Brouwer - Beagle - Perrault
Hendricks - ???? - ????

Jones - Alzner
Kundratek - Orlov
Schilling - ??

Bernier
Neuvirth

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad