You're hired! As the new GM what are the first moves you make?

dles

Jan 27, 2013
We're all armchair hero's here let's hear it!

EDIT: I'd also like the question, does anyone think that Dale Hunter quit because he knew how ****** GMGM was and how he could never win with this team and how he knew it was gonna deteriorate?

Last edited:

IkeaMonkey*

Brouwer, Poti and a 3rd for Kovalchuk.

May add Graubauer since the Devs need a successor to Marty, if they throw in a 2nd.

dles

Jan 27, 2013
I wrote this big long list and I just realized I can sum my feelings up in 1 sentence. We have no depth at all, and it's time to make a player grab. We have been 'building for the future' for 8 years now and we are weaker in depth then ever. This makes no sense. Start signing high value players and trade away prospects. If there's a time it's in the next 2-3 years. Look at Chicago, they bought a stanley cup and guess what... they are still in contention years later. This is a league of free agent signings and little to no loyalty to team. The caps have been building prospects only to let them go off into the sunset to help other teams. (Keith Auccoin, Fleishman, Semin, the list goes on and on and on.)

IkeaMonkey*

May add Graubauer since the Devs need a successor to Marty, if they throw in a 2nd.

Holtby, Sarge, 4th for Kessel.

Hamrlik, Devils 2nd for Erik Karlsson.

Amidoinitrite?

IkeaMonkey*

I wrote this big long list and I just realized I can sum my feelings up in 1 sentence. We have no depth at all, and it's time to make a player grab. We have been 'building for the future' for 8 years now and we are weaker in depth then ever. This makes no sense. Start signing high value players and trade away prospects. If there's a time it's in the next 2-3 years. Look at Chicago, they bought a stanley cup and guess what... they are still in contention years later. This is a league of free agent signings and little to no loyalty to team. The caps have been building prospects only to let them go off into the sunset to help other teams. (Keith Auccoin, Fleishman, Semin, the list goes on and on and on.)

I enjoy that undrafted Keith Aucoin is your first example of our long lost prospects.

dles

Jan 27, 2013

I don't know if that would solve much. Poti has had his moments, but he's way more solid than I ever thought he would be upon return. Also Kolvalchuk doesn't add enough to the team over Brouwer. If we could trade a 2nd, Schultz(poti if not) and someone like Ward/Fehr/Beagle

IkeaMonkey*

Now that we've added Kessel, Kovalchuk and Karlsson.

I'm firing Oates and bring Bruce's little brother Ben in to coach the team.

IkeaMonkey*

Also Kolvalchuk doesn't add enough to the team over Brouwer.

tumblr_inline_mf759013jP1rqmaqw.gif

dles

Jan 27, 2013

You may be right, I mean he has the leadership quality that would bring a lot to the team. But as far as offensive potency, Brouwer is a high 2nd teir player. Kovalchuk obviously would be better. But losing so much to get him and he's old. And we wouldn't keep him probably once hes a FA. I'm saying adding him doesn't add enough to the current team to actually make a SC run so it's like our move for Arnott. It'll help, but not enough and then he's just gonna walk away and we are left with nothing. IMO if we had made one or two more trades the year with Arnott we woulda won the cup so easily. **** GMGM he can't decide between building a great franchise or just winning a SC. Instead he half-***** trying to win a SC then falls short and then ****s everything up.

IkeaMonkey*

We weren't even his first, or second, or third, or fourth organization. Or even his first NHL contract. :laugh:

Are you suggesting that letting go of the 30 year old player who spend like 600 games in the AHL, after playing Division 3 in college, before even arriving in town isn't a lost asset?

dles

Jan 27, 2013
We weren't even his first, or second, or third, or fourth organization. Or even his first NHL contract. :laugh:

Sorry I didn't really mean that we drafted and entirely built him. But we held him for 3 years and then right as he actually was peaking and becoming real NHL talent we didnt even decide to keep him. And look how damn well he's playing.

I didn't really mean people we bred from the age of 18. I more meant people we obviously spent money and time investing in EXPECTING to get more out of later then we just watch them walk away right as they come into their most productive years.

Does that make more sense?

EDIT: FINE I WAS WRONG. I just wanted to make a point, and was trying to ramble names without taking time to really think. THE POINT STILL STANDS.

IkeaMonkey*

But losing so much to get him and he's old.

My joke of a ****ing post was a guy who has played like a dozen game in the last 3 years and a 3rd round pick.

Is this a troll thread? I can't keep getting infractions around here....

dles

Jan 27, 2013
My joke of a ****ing post was a guy who has played like a dozen game in the last 3 years and a 3rd round pick.

Is this a troll thread? I can't keep getting infractions around here....

But I love Poti :(.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Are you hiring?

The first thing I do is get all the factual and confidential details about every contract every player has, and go over the current and future cap implications with the team "cap expert". I may try to pick the brain of the outgoing GMGM as much as possible, and use or discard what I find out. I determine division of duties among subordinate staff, assume ownership of all file systems, keys and passwords and review extent of record keeping. I assign any needed record or document creation tasks to retained support staff with 24-48 hour deadlines. I coordinate best practices with the personal assistant or administrative assistant. I may email the other GMs in the league to introduce myself.

I conduct interviews with all players to hear the what they have to say and to get a feel for the locker room issues/environment. I assess any obvious issues with administrative departments and determine whether changes need to be made there within the next year, and solicit resumes league-wide for a senior consultant. Then I interview the coaches to make similar determinations, and come up with a general hiring/roster plan or goal based on the results. Immediate vs long-term needs are prioritized.

Regarding player moves, in addition to the above info I solicit appropriate staff for information regarding possible short-term trading partners and acquisitions based on real intel rather than message board rumors. Same goes for injury discussions with medical staff. I look at what's coming up in the draft for the next few years and anything else the scouting department has, and of course what we have in the farm system.

That's off the top of my head, and the rest depends on all that.

Playing "I would get this guy and dump that guy" is fun, and it's fine, as long as you realize it's fantasy and wish-listing. Which is why the "what would YOU do" question is never going to get a realistic answer on a message board, and never be a gotcha moment. It's all speculation.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
My troll dectetor is picking up activity. New account. Historical inaccuracies. Saying "Kolvalchuk doesn't add enough to the team over Brouwer". Suggesting a trade of a 2nd, Schultz, and a grinder for one of the best offensive players in the league.

Is BradD trying to make a comeback?

dles

Jan 27, 2013
Are you hiring?

The first thing I do is get all the factual and confidential details about every contract every player has, and go over the current and future cap implications with the team "cap expert". I may try to pick the brain of the outgoing GMGM as much as possible, and use or discard what I find out. I determine division of duties among subordinate staff, assume ownership of all file systems, keys and passwords and review extent of record keeping. I assign any needed record or document creation tasks to retained support staff with 24-48 hour deadlines. I coordinate best practices with the personal assistant or administrative assistant. I may email the other GMs in the league to introduce myself.

I conduct interviews with all players to hear the what they have to say and to get a feel for the locker room issues/environment. I assess any obvious issues with administrative departments and determine whether changes need to be made there within the next year, and solicit resumes league-wide for a senior consultant. Then I interview the coaches to make similar determinations, and come up with a general hiring/roster plan or goal based on the results. Immediate vs long-term needs are prioritized.

Regarding player moves, in addition to the above info I solicit appropriate staff for information regarding possible short-term trading partners and acquisitions based on real intel rather than message board rumors. Same goes for injury discussions with medical staff. I look at what's coming up in the draft for the next few years and anything else the scouting department has, and of course what we have in the farm system.

That's off the top of my head, and the rest depends on all that.

Playing "I would get this guy and dump that guy" is fun, and it's fine, as long as you realize it's fantasy and wish-listing. Which is why the "what would YOU do" question is never going to get a realistic answer on a message board, and never be a gotcha moment. It's all speculation.

Of course it's speculation and all done in good fun. That IS the point. So is talking about how much we hate gmgm or talking about what ovi has to do to perform. I'm 99% sure ovi doesn't read hfboards. It's just like a forum version of GM mode on NHL13.

dles

Jan 27, 2013
My troll dectetor is picking up activity. New account. Historical inaccuracies. Saying "Kolvalchuk doesn't add enough to the team over Brouwer". Suggesting a trade of a 2nd, Schultz, and a grinder for one of the best offensive players in the league.

Is BradD trying to make a comeback?

Sorry I'm really not trolling. I truly believe Kolv is way overrated. He's just as overrated as Parise was. Are they both good? Absolutely, but I highly doubt he would bring much offensively to the caps THIS year that would change things around. And my point is that we'd have to give up way too much to get him. Then he'd make us a decent team, not good enough to win a cup and he'd walk away and go somewhere else. I wasn't saying they'd take that trade. they wouldn't AT ALL. Of course not, I was saying that's the MAX I would even give away.

He is a great player, but he wouldn't bring enough to the team to turn things around before he becomes a FA and leaves. Unless they signed an extension then traded him. Then I'd all be for losing Brouwer, Poti, slap a first rounder in there and I'd take him. I just highly doubt he'd stay for long.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Of course it's speculation and all done in good fun. That IS the point. So is talking about how much we hate gmgm or talking about what ovi has to do to perform. I'm 99% sure ovi doesn't read hfboards. It's just like a forum version of GM mode on NHL13.

Ok, like I said that's fine imo. It's hard to tell if someone is posting just to make waves (particularly by calling people "armchair heroes").

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I do have to echo dles concerns about Kovalchuk leaving via free agency. I really don't think he can enough by the time his contract expires in 2025 to offset the assets we traded away for him. And there's no way we can afford what it will cost to retain Kovalchuk in free agency. After all, 42 years old is in the midst of his prime.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->