Your top choices from past drafts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Love Machine

Jan 1, 2003
Computer
Visit site
From previous drafts, was their a player that you wanted your team to have?(considering your draft position in the particular draft) Did those players turn out fine, were they complete busts, or in between? Here are mine for the Bruins that I prayed for them to get:

1997- Joe Thornton (and they got him)
1998- I wanted them to get Eric Chouinard in a trade (Don't feel so bad now)
1999- Denis Shvidki (Don't know why though)
2000- Brent Krahn (Wanted them to get a goalie at that time)
2001- Igor Knaysev (Heard lots of good things about him at the time)
2002- Alexander Semin (Hoped that he would have slipped to 29th)
2003- Brian Boyle (Just had a feeling about him)

What are your choices? These could get pretty funny!

tomerez

Mar 16, 2003
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Well I'm a Leaf fan so here's my list:

1999 - Was hoping we'd get Ouellet but we got Cereda :(
2000 - Brad Boyes (we got him)
2001 - Was hoping for Woywitka. Not sure if that would have been an improvement on Colaiacovo
2002 - I was hoping for Daniel Paille or Jarret Stoll. Glad we got Steen
2003 - Was hoping to get Robert Nilsson or Jeff Tambellini. Then we dealt the pick. Was hoping to get Patrick O'Sullivan in the 2nd, he went 1 before our pick and we got crap :(

in the hall

Mar 4, 2004
NYR

1999- Pavel Brendl (there was some rumblings about the Rangers trading up first overall, his stats were unfreakingbelievable, scouting reports and brief skill showing impressed), was extatic the Rangers traded up and were able to draft him fourth overall

2000- Dany Heatley (I knew Rangers had little chance but he was the top guy for me in that draft year)
- realistically don't remember who since they didn't have a first but I remember being extatic about Ilja Nikulin dropping becuase at one point he was considered one of the top defenseman in the draft so I hoped he'd drop to the Rags

2001- Jason Spezza (followed him since he was the 14 year old "next one" on the Brampton Battalion, became too big of a fan of his to succumb to the Kovalchuk craze - even bought an Ice Dogs Jersey), I also loved Blackburn but I thought he'd go very high and be the first goaltender picked
- realistically Mike Komisarek, played with him in highschool >:]

2002- Jay Bouwmeester (like Spezza, I followed him since he was a kid so the hype stuck)
- once again Rangers had no first since it was traded for Bure so really had no one realistic that I wanted, I was POed when they did draft Falardeau over Stoll in the second round though

2003- Nik Zherdev (skillllllls) honestly didn't have much of a feel for any top guy but I liked him most
- realisticly Dion Phaneuf (oh boy I can not emphasize how much I wanted him) I was happy with the out come, the draft was so deep you couldn't complain, Jessiman was a NY kid a Ranger fan, smart guy, size everything, had incentive for making it which I thought was key.. also liked Kostitsyn, Parise though I thought we had NO chance at him, and Patrick O'Sullivan who was actually my top guy for a while

this year it's no brianers for the top guy, realistically at 6 I hope the Rangers draft Shremp, something about those high skilled, problem childs (ala O'Sullivan) that gets me giddy

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
1998 No 1st Abid-Tore up the Q thought that he would translate well to the NHL. Not so far, but have faith Pens fans I think he might still

1999 No 1st Semanov- I thought he could have gone in the first, but when he slipped to the second round I thought we had a shot

2000 Frolov-we got him

2001 Two picks in the first I wanted Marcel Goc at 16 and Tomas Duba at 30

2002- Babchuck-I was shocked that he dropped to our pick, and even more shocked when we didn't take him.

2003-Three number 1s-Wanted Parise,Kostitsyn or Brown with our first one. Wanted Marc Stuart with our second pick and Anthony Stewart with our third

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Here are some guys I really wanted in Edmonton during draft time..
1995: Shane Doan (Steve Kelly helped us Oilers fans forget the "Doan, Doan, Doan chants though!)
1997: Dan Cleary (we ended up getting him from Chicago and buying out his contract a few years later)
1998: Simon Gagne (he ripped up the QMJHL, would have looked really good as an Oiler)
1999: Kris Beech (looked pretty good in Calgary)
2000: Brian Sutherby
2001: Ales Hemsky :D
2003: Dion Phaneuf

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I forget alot of drafts for some reason but here's the ones I remember.

1998- Simon Gagne...went right before the Penguins picked
2000- Brooks Orpik :)
2001- R.J. Umberger- Pittsburgh boy
2002- Kari Lehtonen
2003- Marc-Andre Fleury :)

I only really started following prospects after the 2001 draft...all I remember about the 99 draft was going "who the **** is this guy" after we drafted Koltsov :joker:

Alfie#11

May 7, 2003
Visit site
1997 - Luongo (hey, back then people didn't take goalies that high)
1998 - no real favourite
1999 - Havlat
2000 - Volchenkov
2001 - Gleason
2002 - Nystrom
2003 - Stewart

I usually read THN draft preview and pick a guy that sounds good and is predicted to go around when the Sens will draft, and he becomes "my guy".

Sometimes I hope against hope that guys fall - Gleason did and Stewart almost did.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
1999: Koltsov

2000: Alexei Smirnov. Thankfully, we took Orpik.

2001: Umberger, the local boy. Taking Colby Armstrong was a bit of a head scratcher, but I don't think Umberger will be much better.

2002: Wanted Pitkanen badly. I slammed my fist on my desk when the Flyers took him one lousy spot before our pick.

2003: Couldn't make up my mind between Staal, Zherdev and Fleury, but I'm beyond satisfied with Fleury. For our 2nd rounder, I was praying for Patrick Eaves.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
1995 - Petr Sykora
1996 - Lance Ward
1997 - Jean-Francois Damphouse
1998 - Mike Van Ryn/Scott Gomez
1999 - Ari Ahonen
2000 - David Hale
2001 - Adrian Foster
2003 - Zach Parise

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
2000- Marcel Hossa
2001- Alex Hemsky
2002- Chris Higgins
2003- Ryan Getzlaf or Parise (though Kastsitsyn would be gone)

I do a mock Habs draft every year on the Habs board, I had Hemsky over Komisarek which seems like a bad idea looking back, and I somehow had Perezhogin picked correctly as well. In 2002 I picked Higgins, don't I look smart? except my other pick was Patrick Thorenson who ended up never being drafted, don't I look stupid? :lol Last years draft I did the write up for the Habs in the HF draft guide (that's all I ever did for the HF mag was one article for the draft) you got to turn in 2 names for the 1st pick, I had Getzlaf first and Katsistsyn as 2nd. They put Kastsitsyn as the pick in the mag but I never thought he would last past 5th or so after what he did in the U-18's.

JFPIV

May 18, 2002
Indianapolis, IN
Visit site
This past year, I was praying for collective insanity that would drop Ryan Suter to the Hawks, never happened, we got Seabrooke. Who knows, we may end up better off.

2001, I wanted Ruutu, and they got him.

2000, I wanted Hainsey, they took Vorobiev! I should have been looking for Nick Schultz. Who knew!

1999, I wanted Boynton, and he went two ahead, and we got McCarthy.

1997, I wanted Dome or Tselios, they took Ty Jones....either way I went I was toast. Brenden Morrow...you could have hit me in the head with a 2x4, I would have never guessed this kind of production.

1996, no first rounders, but we made up for it with Remi Royer, Jeff Paul, and Geoff Peters in the second. :banghead:

1995, as God is my witness I wanted Morozov, and he was there and we took Nabokov! :mad:

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
2000-Stoll (they ended up getting him 2 drafts later)
2001-Colby Armstrong (they took Hemsky. I began to doubt myself) :D
2002-Semin (Caps took him right in front of EDM)
2003-Patrick O'Sullivan (Oil took Pouliot, who is having a nice playoff)

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City
Anaheim:

1998- Wanted Brad Stuart got Vishnievski
1999- No 1st rounder...got Leopold who I was high on but then dealt him :dunno:
2000- Wanted Marcel Hossa got Alexei Smirnov
2001- Wanted Chistov and got him, for better or worse
2002- Wanted Upshall but have been quite pleased with Lupul
2003- Wanted Anthony Steward but was shocked Getzlaf was there so would have taken him over Stewart anyway.

wint

Jun 10, 2002
Inside
Visit site
2000 - No first
2001 - Spezza or Komisarek (we took Weiss)
2002 - Bouwmeester and either Semin or Grebeshkov (we took Bo and Taticek?)
2003 - Horton (got him and A. Stewart)

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
1997- I wanted to take Sergei Samsonov with the 3rd overall pick. I was intrigued by his amazing offensive talents and how well he played against men in the IHL. We ended up with Olli Jokinen who after a couple of awful years has really gotten his career back on track.

With the second first round pick, I knew we were doomed when we took Zultek, I had seen him play a ton that year (his first with the 67's) and knew he would never be a good pro. Amazes me this guy was taken in the 1st round, had 2 lousy, re-entered the draft and still got taken in the 2nd round in 99, I guess size does matter.As for this pick, I was hoping for Robert Dome , what can I say. I loved those IHL players.

1998- I was really hoping for Mike Van Ryn who was coming off a solid first year in college hockey. We ended up with pylon Mathieu Biron, who is destined to be a journeyman #6 d-man.

1999- Our first was traded for Palffy, before that I was pretty high on Denis Shvidki . Who like Biron seems destined to be a fringe NHL player. Overall this draft has stunk so far and I am happy we moved our pick.

2000- I totally missed the ball on this one, I was really hoping for Brad Boyes who I had seen play in the OHL. I thought he would be the perfect pick for the Kings, I didn't know anything about Alexander Frolov except that he was Russian and had good hands (but they all have good hands)

2001- Had a couple first rounders here. Was very disapointed in the Jens Karlsson pick, was hoping for Marcel Goc or Tim Gleason here. 3 years later and Karlsson still can't score, well neither can Goc, but Gleason had an excellent rookie pro season. With the 30th pick, I was really hoping that we would gamble and draft Mike Cammalleri who had lit up the CCHA and had a nice World Junior tourney. Unfortunately we took Steckel. who appears to be a bust. The silver lining in this draft though, LA was able to get Cammalleri with a 2nd round pick and able to trade for Gleason, so I come away pretty happy.

2002- Denis Grebeshkov was our man if he was still available, everyone knew it, so it was pretty much a given we would take him and I had no problem with that. Jiri Hudler free falling and Anton Babchuk falling a bit, made you consider them. But I wanted Grebeshkov.

2003- The big draft, 3 1st round picks. I had actually proposed on the Kings board, of moving up a few spots to grab Dustin Brown if he fell to 9 or 10. I was shocked he fell all the way to the Kings, shocked that Philly and the NYR passed on him. With the later picks, I was very happy to land Jeff Tambellini, he was one of the guys I had targeted with one of those picks, taking Brian Boyle I hadn't. I preferred Shawn Belle to somewhat balanace out the draft by taking a d-man over another forward.

2004- As of now I am looking at one of the 2 goalies. Either Shwarz or Montoya.

Hellström

Sep 22, 2002
1996 - wanted Holden or Mario Larocque, we got Devereaux and Descoteaux. Would be no real difference now

1997 - hoped for Brewer or Boynton, but we got the "Swiss Miss" Riesen :banghead:

1998 - I rooted for Henrich or Gomez. We got one of them, but the wrong one

1999 - Lundmark and Yonkman were my favorites, but the Oilers went the finnish route with Rita. I´m still undecided, if that was a good choice. Was really interested in Brad Ralph :eek:

2000 - wanted the Oilers to pick Stoll or Pettinger, but they took the mystery Mikhnov (well, mystery to me - GO Ttractor boy GO !)

2001 - wanted Colby Armstrong (and would love to acquire him now), but we struck gold with Hemsky, so i´m fine with it.

2002 - Bouwmeester would´ve been superb, but i did know, that he won´t drop that much. Thought that Boyd Gordon would´ve been a good choice, was happy with Niinimäki too.

2003 - was hoping for Phaneuf all season long, then the night before the draft my brain told me "Oilers will pick Pouliot" and they did. Had no guy i liked that much except Phaneuf

2004 - kind of preview ;) I´m rooting for Chipchura, but would be happy with Green or Picard too. I expect the Oilers to pick Picard and Fransson.

Dr. Nucksfan

Sep 23, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
monster_bertuzzi said:
2000-Wanted Boyes, we got Nathan Smith :banghead:
2001-Wanted Woywitka, we got Umberger
2003-Wanted Stweart, we got Kesler.

Nathan Smith, okay, not a good pick it seems

In 2001 I wanted Kobasew

In 2003 Kesler was a good pick, as we'll come to realize. Don't know about Stewart. I wanted Parise but only after the Devils picked him ;)

GB

Mar 6, 2002
UK
Well I really started following in 1997, so these were my hopes for the Habs:

1997: Marian Hossa. His performance at Portland really impressed me. My 2nd choice was Cleary.
1998: I hoped Tanguay would still be around. After him I wanted either of the Chouinards (Eric first) and then DesRochers.
1999: We'd traded the 1st round pick to the Islanders but I hoped we'd take Sheldon Keefe with the first of our 2nd round picks.
2000: Vaclav Nedorost and Marcel Hossa (The Habs had two 1st round picks, the others was San Jose). Now I'm glad that we didn't pick Nedorost and sad that we did pick Hossa. I also thought Yakubov especially and Vorobiev would be excellent players averaging 90+ points a season.
2001: Mike Komisarek. I was glad the Habs didn't draft Koivu though.
2002: Christopher Higgins. I thought he was exactly the sort of player the Habs needed.
2003: Andrei Kostitsyn. Players with that sort of potential don't often fall that low, so I saw his health concerns as a good thing because I hoped they were unfounded. I really hoped the Habs would get Klein and O'Sullivan in the 2nd round.

leafaholix*

When I really started to follow the draft...

2002: Alexander Semin (24th overall)
2003: Konstantin Pushkarov (57th overall)

SwOOsh*

2000: Had the Hockey News draft preview and wanted the Caps to grab Frolov, but we got Sutherby instead.

2001: We traded our first rounder but I wanted the Caps to select Jeff Woywitka before that.

2002: I was hoping the Caps would somehow be able to trade up and get Nash with all the rumours swirling about it but I didn't think it would happen I then wanted the Capitals to select Semin, Eminger, and Babchuk and was happy that we did select 2 of the 3 =).

2003: Wanted the Caps to select Parise but he went one spot ahead, but I'm happy that we selected Fehr.

2004: Well with 1st overall I want Ovechkin, then I would like if we were somehow able to select A.J Thelen.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I started to ''follow'' the draft more closely in 2001 !
for the habs:
in 2001 i wanted Kovalchuk;)... but after him i wanted ruutu so badly !!! Koivu was also on my radar screen! but ruutu was described at that time as more physical .. while koivu was considered as a better goal scorer than his big brother :jump:

2002 i look on the NHL website the day before the draft .. i read some CSB description and i was heavily interested by babchuk ! but i considered he would never fall to us ... Higgins was kind of a surprise for me ...

2003 I was rooting for Parise 2 month before the draft !! then 1 month before the draft .. i wanted Getzlaf or Bernier.... 1 week before the draft i wanted michalek to drop to us ... he never fell .. other considerations were Ryan Suter defensively, brown offensively ... but 2 days before the draft i read tons of articles on Kastitsyn .. and i started to want us to grab him! when we took him ! i was sooo happy !! and im still very happy btw ;)

2004 Offensively i want one of Stafford,Bolland,Schremp,Tukonen,Olesz
defensively : Green,Valabik,Fransson !

Last edited:

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
2001 I wanted Chistov and we got him
2002 I wanted Lupul and we got him (a surprise, I thought he would go to Nashville)
2003 I wanted Getzlaf or Parise and we got Getzlaf (big surprise here too)
2004 I want Olesz... :D

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
1998 - I wanted Mike Ribeiro in the 1st round... we got him in the 2nd round!
1999 - Martin Havlat.
2000 - I was pretty high on Alexander Frolov.
2001 - Mikko Koivu.
2002 - Christopher Higgins.
2003 - Andrei Kastsitsyn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->