Your top 10 International Teams

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
I'd also put the '87 Canada team from the Canada Cup at the top of any such list. Gretzky and Lemieux were near their peaks and they were surrounded by a pretty good supporting cast. Defence may have been a little weak, but it was a run-and-gun style of hockey.

For Canadian teams, I think the '87 squad is overrated....probably b/c of the dramatic final. Sure they had the names, but they weren't really that dominant on the ice at any time in that tourney.....at least not enough to be considered the best team ever. Heck, they could barely beat a rather sub-par Soviet squad in the finals.
I'd say the '76 team was MUCH better. Although they lost to the Czechs in the prelims, they beat everyone else pretty easily -- then they beat the Czechs pretty handedly in the finals. Plus, they had the names to rival the '87 squad too. 14 HOFers if I'm not mistaken.

toastman344*

Ymb29 :
I can't tell who is Fleury in the fights, but I can be sure that he was not innocent in starting the
brawl.

How can u be sure, since u admit that u can't even identify Fleury in the replays ? Besides, what possible motivation would Fleury , or any of our guys, have to start a fight ? Fleury had already scored 2 goals, so he had no incentive to prove anything in the alleyways ( as we Canucks say ) since he was already proving it in no uncertain terms, on the ice - where it Really Counts !

Our guys were fighting for a Gold Medal. Ur CCCP'ers were in 6th place and completely out of medal contention...

Ergo...The only incentive to start anything...was on the part of Team Soviet...& Start it they did...But ...ALLEY OR ICE...Gold Medal or no Gold Medal...OUR GUYS CLEARLY ASSERTED THEIR DOMINANCE ! :)

CHEERS :)

YMB29

Sep 25, 2006
The Soviets, unlike the Canadians, did not have a reputation for starting fights.
Also, Fleury is known for starting trouble.
And don't say that the Canadians dominated in the brawl, because they did not, far from it.

toastman344*

I dunno what replays u've been watching...But ...Our Boyz Kicked Butt !

Bert Templeton ( R.I.P. ) Always did like Hard Nosed Players & He was the One who Picked Our 1987 Team...

Vashe zdorovie !:)

espo*

The Soviets, unlike the Canadians, did not have a reputation for starting fights.
Also, Fleury is known for starting trouble.
And don't say that the Canadians dominated in the brawl, because they did not, far from it.

So because the Soviets did'nt have a reputation for brawling means they are not capable of instigating one?

and yeah,they got their ***** handed to them in a bad way during that brawl.about the only fights they came out better then 50-50 on was the ones where they ganged up on a player 2 on 1.

like you said,they were'nt used to fighting,no wonder they got cleaned,they did'nt know what they were doing.

Piestany is a huge black mark on Russian hockey because they were responsible for starting it. Deal with it,it's on their hands.

but make no mistake......................we finished it.

toastman344*

Cyclops:
Piestany is a huge black mark on Russian hockey because they were responsible for starting it.

Well our guys have gone overboard once or twice too...Who was it that really lost it one year at the WC's? Was it Wilf Paiement ? Hockey's an Emotional Game...It Happens...No Bigee...That's all Water Under the Bridge...

The Good News is that the Canada - Russia Rivalry is still strong...Especially in Junior...I get the feeling that the two teams don't like each other very much...Especially with all the pre-game trash talking which Malkin and some others have been guilty of in recent years

The Canada -USA Jr Rivalry Is Also Very Intense...BUT...A lot of the Boyz Know one Another...& There seems to be a lot more Mutual Respect...It's No Secret that the Yanks really Don't like the Russians either...Mostly, cause of that Show-Boating which went on in the Semi's in Grand Forks...Word is the Yanks literally begged our Boyz to Clobber Ovechkin & company in the 05 Gold Game...Which They DID ! :)

I doubt very much USAHockey etc. have forgotten 05...I bet they're just itching to return the favour... and run up the score vs. the Ruskies ...

Course wanting to do somthn... & Actually Doing It...R 2 Different Things !:)

YMB29

Sep 25, 2006
I dunno what replays u've been watching...But ...Our Boyz Kicked Butt !

and yeah,they got their ***** handed to them in a bad way during that brawl.about the only fights they came out better then 50-50 on was the ones where they ganged up on a player 2 on 1.

like you said,they were'nt used to fighting,no wonder they got cleaned,they did'nt know what they were doing.
With videos available on the Internet, Canadian myths like this can be easily disproven. In the video, you can clearly see Canadians getting pounded and losing fights too. You also can see that two Canadians attack one Soviet player too at the same time as the Soviet 2 on 1 on a Canadian.

So because the Soviets did'nt have a reputation for brawling means they are not capable of instigating one?
No, but most likely they would not.

Piestany is a huge black mark on Russian hockey
Really? No one in Russia cares or does not even know about it.

because they were responsible for starting it. Deal with it,it's on their hands.
Everyone who is not Canadian and maybe not American will have trouble believing that.

espo*

Your boys took a big whoopin!!

they asked for it and they got it,it's right there on tape.

I'm not surprised it's not looked upon as shameful over there.........selective memories when it comes to that stuff.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
The 98 czec team was neither that countires best, nor a top-20 all-time team. They werent even a top-3 team at the tournament. They were outplayed by everyone.

Haseks performance, however, was his greatest and among the greatest of all time.

YMB29

Sep 25, 2006
Your boys took a big whoopin!!

they asked for it and they got it,it's right there on tape.
I don't know what tape you are looking at.
As for Fleury (#10), he was getting slapped around, you can see at 0:40.

I'm not surprised it's not looked upon as shameful over there.........selective memories when it comes to that stuff.
Like I said, no one cares or knows about it.
Speaking of selective memories, you mean like Challenge Cup 79, Canada Cup 81, NHL referees in 87, etc are for Canada?

espo*

what the hell video is ymb29 watching?

they got cleaned for the most part,watch the tape.

A big time whoopin!!

Let's do round two at the worlds this year,we'll give you a chance to redeem yourself gentlemen.

espo*

I don't know what tape you are looking at.
As for Fleury (#10), he was getting slapped around, you can see at 0:40.

Like I said, no one cares or knows about it.
Speaking of selective memories, you mean like Challenge Cup 79, Canada Cup 81, NHL referees in 87, etc are for Canada?

Selective memories? i remmber well 79 and 81 and have always asserted the Soviets were the better squad when they proved they were,unlike you who has an excuse for every Canadian victory.

Like 87 for example,where you have just dreamed up a conspiracy to make up for failure.

you're all class.

toastman344*

Cyclops
what the hell video is ymb29 watching?they got cleaned for the most part,watch the tape.

Yes Team White...Which are obviously The GOOD GUYS ! :) Did win the Lion Share of the Clear Cut Decisions...He's right about Fleury though...I had him mixed up in the vid...That Big Russian ( although he doesn't land any clean shots, insofar as I can tell ) Does Have Fleury pinned , for the most part ...Theo Keeps Struggling, But He Never Manages to turn the tables...

Quite the Bruhaha ...& definitely added to the World JR Canada Russia Lore...I wonder if either team still talks about it ?

La Bonita

Jan 26, 2007
Piestany is a huge black mark on Russian hockey because they were responsible for starting it.

Everyone who is not Canadian and maybe not American will have trouble believing that.
Well.... I'm from Europe and I have no trouble believing it..... they were loosing big time and couldn't deal with it.... so they started a fight ......

Rexor

Oct 24, 2006
Brno
The 98 czec team was neither that countires best, nor a top-20 all-time team. They werent even a top-3 team at the tournament. They were outplayed by everyone.

Haseks performance, however, was his greatest and among the greatest of all time.

I cannot disagree more. They were outplayed by which team? The Czechs easily
beat Finns (3-0), then Kazakhstan (8-2) and lost to the stucked Russian team in
a tight game, when they conceeded two bizarre goals early in the third period
(1-2). In the quarterfinals, the Americans came out really strong and Hašek put out
one of the greatest individual performances in recent Olympic history; apart from
the first period, though, the Czechs played a bright defensive game and were able
to create a lot of scoring chances (unlike Americans). They eventually won comfortably (4-1).
In the semifinals against Canada... well, I have watched this game about 500 times
on VHS. They were easily outplaying Canada for 50 minutes into the game. Big
kudos to Patrick Roy for his performance. Canada had NO scoring chance until
the Šlégr's goal. After that, the Czechs became too defensive minded and conceeded Linden's equalizer (deflected by Šmehlík) just 63 seconds before
the end of the third period. During 10 minutes of overtime, Canada was better.
But the Czechs were clearly dominating for some 75% of the match. It was Roy's
game, not Hašek's.
In the finals, they had lots of scoring chances again, while Russia had one or two.
Unlike Canada, Russia wasn't able to create more offense after Czech leading goal
and was generally helpless in this game. Czech Republic should have won 3-0 or
4-0.
The Czech 98' team obviously didn't include so many star players as the later teams,
but it was playing much better overall game than our squads in Salt Lake City or
in Torino. Only a few stars (or players considered to be stars by overseas media...), but who cares? They played better than these stars from Canada, U.S.A. or Russia
and weren't outplayed by anyone.

YMB29

Sep 25, 2006
what the hell video is ymb29 watching?

they got cleaned for the most part,watch the tape.

A big time whoopin!!
I don't see it. Tell me what parts are you talking about. Is your Canadian pride getting in the way?

unlike you who has an excuse for every Canadian victory.

Like 87 for example,where you have just dreamed up a conspiracy to make up for failure.

you're all class.
I don't dream anything up. You still denying the officiating bias infavor of Canada?

espo*

What parts?

Watch the video,do you know we are in white and you are in red? if you know that then it's obvious.

and 87,lol....yes i'm still denying it. What do you expect,your theory is all b.s.

espo*

As always with YMB you have to end up lying through your teeth and just say you agree.

Yes YMB,it's just pride. It has nothing to do with all the fists landing on their heads left and right.

Dispute settled.

YMB29

Sep 25, 2006
You are the one lying. Do I have to point out to you where Canadians get beaten?

toastman344*

ymb:
You are the one lying. Do I have to point out to you where Canadians get beaten?

Let me guess we were also losing on scoreboard right ? :)

I noticed CCCP goalies go down too quickly...which explains both score + fighting results :)...Is that Russian style martial arts ? or simply Playing Dead ? :)

Bet LOSING those 6th place medals...HURT too eh ?

VASHE ZDOROVIE ! :)

YMB29

Sep 25, 2006
I am talking about the fights.
Canadian goalies go down too. That take down at 1:37 is one of the best parts of the brawl.

toastman344*

Ymb :
Canadian goalies go down too. That take down at 1:37 is one of the best parts of the brawl.

Take Down ??? Man I dunno if I'd have the Hutz-SPUh- TNIK ...to call that a takedown ? :) ..

Ur guy ... whose getting pounded while lying prone on the Ice ...manages to trip our guy ( #1 Shawn Simpson ) , who proceeds to get back up and start pounding on him all over again...Simpson knocks the CCCP kids head gear off & even has his sweater pulled over his head, while still reigning down shots...All ur guy does in response, is turtle & play dead...Which actually seems to work...Cuz Simpson eventually gives up , & just keeps his opponent pinned ...while calmly watching the other fights..

Score that one for the Russian I suppose :)

CHEERS COMRADE ! ( & no that wasn't intended as an insult, strictly tongue in cheek )

As much as The Infamous ‘ Punch UP' might have been a black mark at the time...and we can debate who was to blame till the cows come home...in a twisted way ( esp. after so many years ) 1987 Piestany...Only ADDS to the Lore of The Canada vs. Russia World Junior etcetera Rivalry...& In Many Ways...THAT'S A GOOD THING...After All, We ARE Still Talking About It , More than 20 Years Later !

Just as we're still talking about 1972 et al !. . Likewise...That Old Ice Age/ Cold War Rivalry... Between Hockey's First True Super Powers...To This Very Day...REMAINS EVERY BIT AS HOT !:)

VASHE ZDOROVIE + MIR ! :)

YMB29

Sep 25, 2006
Ur guy ... whose getting pounded while lying prone on the Ice ...manages to trip our guy ( #1 Shawn Simpson ) , who proceeds to get back up and start pounding on him all over again...Simpson knocks the CCCP kids head gear off & even has his sweater pulled over his head, while still reigning down shots...All ur guy does in response, is turtle & play dead...Which actually seems to work...Cuz Simpson eventually gives up , & just keeps his opponent pinned ...while calmly watching the other fights..
I don't see anyone getting pounded and playing dead. They just grab each other and that is it. The Soviet goalie does not have his helmet because he was the backup. If Simpson was the backup too, he put on his helmet and gear just for the fight, how cheap. Plus he was the third man in on a fight, before the Soviet goalie came.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->