Your top 10 defensemen in WJC

pouskin74*

I think Arzamaschev and Nesterov will be among the top defenders.

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
I never said he was... I just said that overall if you combine Ristolainen's offensive skill and his physicality you get a better defenseman than Määttä, who is reliable defensively, but doesn't have any game changing abilities.

Rookie users like you are always so difficult.

Oh come on, the question was about defensive play in the first place.

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
No, the question is about top 10 defenders. Overall Ristolainen is the better palyer. Period.

And you would probably put Mike Green in top 10 NHL defenders just because he can be the 4th forward?

Maatta is a defensive defenseman, and defenders most important job is to defend. Just wait for the tournament to start before comparing the players, i bet you haven't even seen Maatta play before the Canada exhibition game.

Latex*

This guyyyy.. :laugh:

Why don't you point out the defensive mistakes of Ristolainen in the Canada game?

Latex*

Why don't you point out the defensive mistakes of Maatta?

There were none... but the point was that Ristolainen didn't have them either and was able to create offense, unlike Määttä. Thus he was way, way more valuable to the team.

Get. It. Now. ?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Wanted to improve his skating and to be more NHL-ready. SM-liiga could be compared to AHL, as style of play in SEL is more like in KHL.

Not skating but to get accustomed to more aggressive forechecking and physical play. Needless to say he hasn't been very successful at that so far. Far too prone for mistakes at his own end and struggling physically (getting outmuscled by the likes of 171 cm tall Teemu Rautiainen). One more season in SM-liiga looks likelier for him than AHL next season.

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
There were none... but the point was that Ristolainen didn't have them either and was able to create offense, unlike Määttä. Thus he was way, way more valuable to the team.

Get. It. Now. ?

Let's just wait for the tournament to start and see who is more valuable to the team, Maatta don't really need to create offense as he plays with the Granlund line.

Latex*

Let's just wait for the tournament to start and see who is more valuable to the team, Maatta don't really need to create offense as he plays with the Granlund line.

Oh I made you look so stupid :snide:

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
Oh I made you look so stupid :snide:

Why are you so childish and try to mock everything and get others on your side, does that make you feel better?
Still Maattas line produced the most goal scoring chances in the Canada game. How do you argue against that fact?

E:
And how do you argue against the other fact that Maatta has actually better point avarages when comparing?
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=43543
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=43497

Last edited:

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
Why are you so childish and try to mock everything and get others on your side, does that make you feel better?
Still Maattas line produced the most goal scoring chances in the Canada game. How do you argue against that fact?

E:
And how do you argue against the other fact that Maatta has actually better point avarages when comparing?
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=43543
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=43497

How on earth can you compare point averages when they've been playing in different leagues and in different ages?

And what is the big deal with this debate anyway? One is better defensively, other offensively, both traits are needed. one has more natural talent while the other is more mature and complete as a player. One has game changing skills other has shut down skills... Apples and oranges.

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
How on earth can you compare point averages when they've been playing in different leagues and in different ages?

And what is the big deal with this debate anyway? One is better defensively, other offensively, both traits are needed. one has more natural talent while the other is more mature and complete as a player. One has game changing skills other has shut down skills... Apples and oranges.

You can compare them, of course FEL and OHL aren't comparable but everything else can be compared as they both played junior leagues in Finland.

Pajicz

Mar 22, 2011
He obviously meant that as it is one of his strengths, the game style in which you need it should fit him well.

Yeah, that's what he did mean. I just didn't remember what he exactly said before I looked it out; only knew that it had something to do with his skating.

Latex*

Yeah, that's what he did mean. I just didn't remember what he exactly said before I looked it out; only knew that it had something to do with his skating.

Yeah, I thought it might be that :)

flamebird

Jul 28, 2007
IN NO ORDER:
1.Gormley
2.Hamilton
3.Clendening
4.Musil
5.Maata
6.Ristolainen
7.Klefbom
8.Brodin
9.Merrill
10.Klingberg

x15Kotkaniemi15x

May 22, 2011
Toronto
Weirdthat I read 3 different articles today, the first being in the Toronto Star that said Tinordi was headlining the US Defense as the US #1 defenseman.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I agree for Tinordi, I was the first to say it was ridiculous to see him on the top-10. Then you say, that being a Bruins fans doesn't shadow your judgement but seeing Beaulieu at 6 and Hamilton at 1 is ridiculous.

I don't what is all the hype for Hamilton, but tournament wise, he hasn't been impressive at all and a guy like Beaulieu imo, is playing at a superior level right now than him.
Uh, did you not notice that almost every list in here has Hamilton #1. Most have Beaulieu lower then #6 too. Hamilton is easily the more highly touted dman and from what I've seen from them it's well deserved.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Weirdthat I read 3 different articles today, the first being in the Toronto Star that said Tinordi was headlining the US Defense as the US #1 defenseman.

and there was also a bunch of other head scratchers.....just so many mistakes in the Star!
Never ever read or trust a Toronto newspaper when it comes to any knowledge about anything CHL or juniors.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad