Your team's make it or break it prospects

ChokeOnOil

Lambs to Lions
Feb 11, 2007
Edmonton
Pouliot, J.F.Jacques and Schremp for EDM I would think. Pouliot will be given plenty of oppertunity to solidify a spot for himself. Schremp will be given a fair chance to put up some numbers in AHL and get called up. Less then a ppg in AHL will mean bye bye for him.

M.Greene is another guy <not really a prospect anymore> whose year will be seen as a make or break one for the oilers. same with Grebeshkov.

J.F.J is a make or break, as is Chicken boy. But IMO, Schremp still has another year after this one, since he didn't get time to work on his skating because of the injury. The guys still fairly young.

Matt Greene's year, I'd say, was last year- and he was a make in my books. I expect him to have a full time job this year. Maybe it's a make or break in terms of a solid 3rd pairing or a good 2nd pairing.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
For Anaheim,

Aaron Rome (D) has seen teammates like Shane O'Brien and Kent Huskins become full-time NHLers and still only has a single NHL game to his credit. He turns 24 in the fall and his time may have already expired to make the leap.

Nathan Saunders (D) and Shane Hynes (RW) find themselves in similar situations, having their first year of their entry level deals derailed with injury and spending most of their second year trying to get things back on track. This year is where they need to prove 1) that they're healthy and 2) that they can contribute and be viable prospects. Given the Ducks depth on the blueline in the minors, Saunders has a considerable challenge ahead of him, and with Hynes strong play in the ECHL last year, he definitely has the edge.

Two other Ducks prospects, Matt Christie (LW) and Matt Auffrey (RW) are left hoping for a contract at the present. Christie is an NCAA grad who needs to be signed by August 15th if the Ducks decide to keep him around. Auffrey is a former NCAA player who left for the OHL. Having played his over-age year in the OHL, he can't go back, but with the CBA's rules on players drafted from the NCAA, his rights are still held by Anaheim until August 15th.

Last edited:

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
All I know is: Hugh Jessiman has been broken for a long time.

For the Rangers I'll say Nigel Dawes and Jarkko Immonen. They need to take the next step, and earn a spot.

Seth Lake

Jun 28, 2005
Nashville, TN
In Nashville we have two prospects that are definitely in the running...Kevin Klein and Ville Koistinen.

One will be the seventh defenseman, the other will be traded. Then again, both might be beat out by a veteran guy with size like Alex Henry or heaven-forbid Nolan Yonkman if the Predators decide they want size coming off the bench.

Personally, I think that Koistinen will be in Nashville to start the season and Klein will be trade bait.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
Pouliot, J.F.Jacques and Schremp for EDM I would think. Pouliot will be given plenty of oppertunity to solidify a spot for himself. Schremp will be given a fair chance to put up some numbers in AHL and get called up. Less then a ppg in AHL will mean bye bye for him.

M.Greene is another guy <not really a prospect anymore> whose year will be seen as a make or break one for the oilers. same with Grebeshkov.

Hope a Knights fan doesn't see that- two of those players played on the Memorial Cup Knights team ;)

The Korean*

Probably Jimmy Howard, since Red Wings are desperate for young goalie.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Probably Jimmy Howard, since Red Wings are desperate for young goalie.

he is not make or break at all. he NEEDS another year in the AHL actually. he could probably have been hasek's backup this season, but there is really no point. its better for him to play 60+ games in the AHL.

Chinstrap

Jun 30, 2007
The Sens don't have too many prospects who will be jettisoned if they fail to make an impact this year.

The only player who might be given his last shot to make the Sens, IMO, is Jeff Heerema. For such a highly touted prospect (when he was drafted) he has sort of fizzled. He is still quite strong in Bingo (~140 PTS in ~150 GP), but if he can't make the Sens, I have a feeling he will be regarded as a Denis Hamel-type minor leaguer. He may still stay in the organization, it's just that he will no longer be viewed as a potential starter.

Josh Hennessy will be given a shot to make the team, but will stay in the organization even if he doesn't crack the deep forward line-up.
Brian Elliott will be given more time, especially because he appears to be a diamond in the rough (picked in the 9th round).
Brian Lee will become a make-or-break player in a couple seasons if he can't crack the squad, but not just yet.

Kotton

Jul 10, 2006
Hope a Knights fan doesn't see that- two of those players played on the Memorial Cup Knights team ;)

Danny Syvret played on the Memorial Cup team didn't he? I realize he wasn't mentioned by the original poster, but it seems as though hes running out of time as well.

whatthef

Failure is an Option
Mar 1, 2007
Upper Darby
The only Flyers prospect that I would say this is a make or break year is Braydon Coburn. He looked real good after his trade to the Flyers, and we're counting on him to at least stay at that level. But if he doesn't he could be done. I think Ryan Potulny and Stefan Ruzicka both need to take the next step even if it just means lighting it up in the AHL. But that's about it for the Flyers this year.

Zoo

Jul 29, 2002
New Zealand
Visit site
Paul Bissonnette for the penguins, he's spent most of his time in Wheeling and hasn't been able to crack our AHL roster. This coming from nearly making the penguins a few season ago from camp.

The Edmonton/Pittsburgh joint roster really hurt his stock last season. The way I see it, its his last season to stick with the wbs penguins or he's outta the organization.

Zim

Jan 19, 2006
I suppose Petri Kontiola is a sort of make it or break it. He's 23 in October so he's getting on a bit for a prospect and i think if he doesn't do well in the AHL and earn a one way contract then i can see him going back to Europe where he can make more money.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
The only Flyers prospect that I would say this is a make or break year is Braydon Coburn. He looked real good after his trade to the Flyers, and we're counting on him to at least stay at that level. But if he doesn't he could be done. I think Ryan Potulny and Stefan Ruzicka both need to take the next step even if it just means lighting it up in the AHL. But that's about it for the Flyers this year.

I would put Ruzicka in the make or break camp. I think he should be given 2 years to prove himself, but I think the Flyers organization will trade him after this year if he does not do something special.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Brian Elliott will be given more time, especially because he appears to be a diamond in the rough (picked in the 9th round).

Further to your point, while I don't think the Sens have a make or break prospect, they will certainly be looking closely at the progress of their two young goaltenders to see if either can show they have the potential to play in Ottawa some day.

While Ottawa's overall prospect depth is uncharacteristically low, the goaltending pipeline is of particular concern - especially given our two pro goalies might combine for up to $8 million in salary this season.

TheRedressor

Oct 3, 2005
Hugh Jessiman..............again :sarcasm:

Nigel Dawes.........He has to force himself onto the big club.

Ivan Baranka............Needs to have a FULL HEALTHY season in Hartford as the number 1 dman otherwise he will be passed by players such as Sauer.

Jake Taylor........Better show something quickly

Chris Holt............The Fort needs to demonstrate some consistency and be given splitting duty in Hartford.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Hugh Jessiman..............again :sarcasm:

Nigel Dawes.........He has to force himself onto the big club.

Ivan Baranka............Needs to have a FULL HEALTHY season in Hartford as the number 1 dman otherwise he will be passed by players such as Sauer.

Jake Taylor........Better show something quickly

Chris Holt............The Fort needs to demonstrate some consistency and be given splitting duty in Hartford.

I still find it interesting that Dawes was put into the lineup for the last game vs the Sabres. But yeah, he's kind of on the bubble isn't he. Nigel had a lot of folks including Maloney excited about his play in the 2nd half of last season. Unsure as to how high Sather is on Nigel.

Training camp for the Rangers should be brutal this year.....which I like :D

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Also, although he is not a prospect, this should be the year that defines Fredrik Sjostrom. Is he very good checking line player, or does he have true top six scoring potential?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad