Your team's greatest core - and it's equivalent in today's players

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Simple exercise, what is the best core your team ever had, and what would it take (using today's players) to get back to that level? Then fill in the rest of the lineup with today players (see at the bottom), but replace the top line guys, don't just push them down the lineup.

For Montreal it's a ridiculous 7-man core, probably at its height circa 1957 (I'll add the today player next to each OG):

Jean Beliveau (Evgeni Malkin+)
Rocket Richard (Alex Ovechkin+)
Doug Harvey (Roman Josi)
Jacques Plante (Carey Price)
Boom Boom Geoffrion (Max Pacioretty+)
Dickie Moore (Brad Marchand)
Henri Richard (Jack Eichel)

Montreal fans- comments? Imagine having that core today? lol.

Marchand - Malkin - Ovechkin
Pacioretty - Eichel - Anderson
Toffoli - Kotkaniemi - Armia
Lehkonen - Evans - Byron
Poehling

Josi - Weber
Romanov - Petry
Edmundson - Kulak
Mete

Price
Allen​

Last edited:

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
I don't get Eichel as Henri Richard. Not particularly renowned for his defensive player, doesn't show any better as an even-strength scorer than as an overall producer. Sean Couturier ticks those boxes, though I understand wanting a smaller guy who shoots right, like Brayden Point.

The Leafs team with the best "core" at all positions may have been the 60s Leafs, but I'd just get bored of calling every forward Jonathan Toews and every defenseman Shea Weber...except for Brewer and Mahovlich? Half the defenseman in the league today are built in Brewer's image, and all the Mahovlich comparisons that come to mind are centers...perhaps a nuclear-powered JVR if he maxed out his potential in other areas outside the goal crease, I dunno, none of that is sitting right with me.

The early thirties Leafs might be a more interesting group to look at, I'll think on that.

jimmysheva

Mar 16, 2014
Sakic
Forsberg
Roy
Foote

Almost impossible to have a 1-2 C like Sakic and Forsberg in the salary cap era. And it is hard to find an elite G like Roy. Our D core is better than that core now so we don't actually need a Roy-caliber goalie but we still need to improve that position

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Howe
Sawchuk
Kelly
Lindsay
Delvecchio
Pronovost

I've never been good at comparing any current player to any Hall of Famer. There's always invariably differences that ruin the comparison for me.

That said, I suppose Marchand is closer to Ted Lindsay than anyone. Even so, Lindsay was much better.

No one in today's NHL reminds me of Gordie Howe. Guys like Sawchuk, Kelly, and Pronovost played when their position and play style was drastically different than today's league. Delvecchio reminds me of Henri Richard more than anyone in today's league, because he was overshadowed by more famous players on his own team.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
Howe
Sawchuk
Kelly
Lindsay
Delvecchio
Pronovost

I've never been good at comparing any current player to any Hall of Famer. There's always invariably differences that ruin the comparison for me.

That said, I suppose Marchand is closer to Ted Lindsay than anyone. Even so, Lindsay was much better.

No one in today's NHL reminds me of Gordie Howe. Guys like Sawchuk, Kelly, and Pronovost played when their position and play style was drastically different than today's league. Delvecchio reminds me of Henri Richard more than anyone in today's league, because he was overshadowed by more famous players on his own team.

I think it’s also hard to compare O6 wingers to the current day, because most of the top offensive players today play centre and that wasn’t the case back then. So I think it’s fair to be flexible on forward positions.

For example, Dickie Moore was a centre in junior and moved to the wing with the Habs. If he played today, he’d probably be a Selke candidate as a dominant two-way centre (and his knees would be in much better shape with today’s medical science.)

But you’re right, there’s still no Gordie Howe out there today.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don't get Eichel as Henri Richard. Not particularly renowned for his defensive player, doesn't show any better as an even-strength scorer than as an overall producer. Sean Couturier ticks those boxes, though I understand wanting a smaller guy who shoots right, like Brayden Point.

The Leafs team with the best "core" at all positions may have been the 60s Leafs, but I'd just get bored of calling every forward Jonathan Toews and every defenseman Shea Weber...except for Brewer and Mahovlich? Half the defenseman in the league today are built in Brewer's image, and all the Mahovlich comparisons that come to mind are centers...perhaps a nuclear-powered JVR if he maxed out his potential in other areas outside the goal crease, I dunno, none of that is sitting right with me.

The early thirties Leafs might be a more interesting group to look at, I'll think on that.

Eichel's best comparison could be another Buffalo Sabre - Gilbert Perreault.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad