Toronto
My stab at the habs:

Dickie Moore
Bob Gainey
Rocket Richard
Ken Reardon
Serge Savard
Gump Worsley

Too many to choose from, but from what I have herd, these guys were all heart.

KOVALEV10*

For Montreal

Bob Gainey: LW
Guy Carbonneau: C
Rocket Richard: RW
Serge Savard: D
Ken Dryden: G

Honourable mentions to Koivu, Jarvis, Lafleur and Beliveau.

Sixty Six

Feb 28, 2003
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
Kevin Stevens - Bryan Trottier - Rick Tocchet

Ulf Samuelson and Darius Kasparaitis

Tom Barrasso

I was gonna add Mario because he has a huge heart, but didn't wanna go with the obvious choice. In addition Barrasso could play with a passion, but he always was hurt and didn't seem to fight through injuries, but i gave him the nod anyway

Last edited:

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
As a Wings fan...Stevie Y, Stevie Y, Stevie Y,Stevie Y,Stevie Y

Ok, seriously....

Stevie Y
Nik Lidstrom
Gordie Howe(Past guys that I never actually saw play count, right?)
Thomas Holmstrom(All heart, no skill)
ummm...Stevie Y
(Nope, I can't remember a time when Stvie Y wasn't a Wing, and I'm 31 years old)

KOVALEV10*

Benton Fraser said:
Lafleur? What? I know he is your favorite player ever, but still that guy really shouldn't be even an honourable mention. Skilled yes, heart, not really.

He was a classy person and performed the same way in every single game whether they were playing the bruins or the kansas city scouts, never took a night off, it was just amazing. That's a quote from Dick Irvin.

Frightened Inmate #2

Jun 26, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
KOVALEV10 said:
He was a classy person and performed the same way in every single game whether they were playing the bruins or the kansas city scouts, never took a night off, it was just amazing. That's a quote from Dick Irvin.

The fact that he smoked and drank,and conditioning was not really an issue. Also the fact that he decided to drive drunk (I believe) sure takes away from my view of his heart

KOVALEV10*

Benton Fraser said:
The fact that he smoked and drank,and conditioning was not really an issue. Also the fact that he decided to drive drunk (I believe) sure takes away from my view of his heart

Why? Half the team if not more of the canadiens back in the day drove drunk a lot. Why should he be penalised just because he was caught. And last I checked what does heart have to do with a little fun after having done all you could to help your team win all but 8 to 12 games? I say he deserved a little fun for himself too. Oh and which other hockey player do you know who used to dress at 2 ocklock or an 8 acklock games?

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
By any definition I can think of to describe a heart and soul player, it begins with either Richard.

The Rocket-Henri Richard- Gainey
Harper and Savard
Hard to pick goalies, but I'd take Roy.

It's difficult to leave off Mario Tremblay, Koivu, Mike Mcphee,Keane, Claude Provost,John Ferguson,Moore,Carbo,...

salzy

Mar 3, 2005
Windsor
Bobby Clarke at centre
Tocchet and Kerr on the wings
Howe and Markov on defense
Hextall between the pipes.

Nice.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
With all due respect to Peca, Cooke and Linden, I'm sad to say the Canucks of today can't hold a flame to the players of the past when it comes to heart:

Vancouver Canucks all-time all-heart team:

Toni Tanti - Thomas Gradin - Tiger Williams

Harold Snepts - Garth Butcher

Richard Brodeur

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
JaymzB said:
My stab at the habs:

Dickie Moore
Bob Gainey
Rocket Richard
Ken Reardon
Serge Savard
Gump Worsley

Too many to choose from, but from what I have herd, these guys were all heart.
I Imagine with all of the original 6 teams you could have tons to pick from.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
RMU2 said:
Kevin Stevens - Bryan Trottier - Rick Tocchet

Ulf Samuelson and Darius Kasparaitis

Tom Barrasso

I was gonna add Mario because he has a huge heart, but didn't wanna go with the obvious choice. In addition Barrasso could play with a passion, but he always was hurt and didn't seem to fight through injuries, but i gave him the nod anyway

Good list for the Pens. I Still remember Tocchet scoring some goals against the Hawks in the Finals with a Broken Jaw and he didnt use a full shield just a small protector and he got typical Tocchet goals to.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
octopi said:
As a Wings fan...Stevie Y, Stevie Y, Stevie Y,Stevie Y,Stevie Y

Ok, seriously....

Stevie Y
Nik Lidstrom
Gordie Howe(Past guys that I never actually saw play count, right?)
Thomas Holmstrom(All heart, no skill)
ummm...Stevie Y
(Nope, I can't remember a time when Stvie Y wasn't a Wing, and I'm 31 years old)
What abour Ciccarelli on a wing or even McCarty, Gallant or my favorite Wing Probert he scored 29 goals and made the All Star team once.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
The Oilers I've seen play with the most heart

Tikkanen - Messier - Buchberger

Smith - Ulanov

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Since nobody`s done Buffalo yet:

Craig Ramsay: battled severe stomach pains throughout his career,yet rarely missed a game

Mike Peca: Sabre fans don`t like him anymore, but there`s no denying the effort he gave when he put the jersey on

Brian Spencer: i know this makes two left-wingers, but he has to be there; quintessential example of somebody who made it with very little talent but lots of determination

Jim Schoenfeld: maybe had too much heart as he often injured his ankle and knee blocking shots; was also kind enough to offer referees dietary advice

Mike Ramsey: logged a ton of ice time and kept them respectable when they struggled in the mid-80s

Clint Malarchuk: returned from an injury that would`ve scared a lot of guys into retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->