19 - Ryan Getzlaf
28 - Corey Perry
86 - Shane Hynes
90 - Juha Alen
119 - Nathan Saunders
186 - Drew Miller
218 - Dirk Southern
280 - Ville Mantymaa

That year, Bryan Murray continued his trend of going for big, physical players and he didn't disappoint. Getzlaf and Perry pretty much says it all and Drew Miller's coming on strong. Pretty much, the best draft the Ducks had in a long time and great move by Murray to talk the Stars into trading their 28th overall pick.

You forgot Shane O'Brien.

Scottkmlps

Aug 25, 2003
Ladysmith, BC
Visit site
Who I wished they picked with there 1st 4 picks, instead of these players:

Kings:

13. RW Dustin Brown(LA): Certainly left some talent on the board (Seabrook, Bernier, Parise, Getzlaf), and although many Kings fans hate this pick, I still love it. Brown is finally starting to find his game, not to mention is the hardest hitter in the league. Has gotten more and more responsibility this year and shoudl continue to mature and become a more complete player.

Happy with this pick. He really started to come around the last half of the season, and I think next year is Brown's breakout season.

26. C/D Brian Boyle(LA): Drafted as a project, it has taken him a while to develop. Is having a very good playoffs with Manchester in the AHL, and could still develop into an effective offensive player, or depth forward. Lombardi seems to think that Boyle will make a better defenseman however as he possess great size, skating and vision.

I like Boyle, but come on, I would've love to see the Kings use this pick on Patrice Bergeron.

27. LW Jeff Tambellini(NYI): Traded in that desparate deadline deal last year to NYI, Tambellini has very good offensive abilities and should develop into a solid top 6 forward. 59pts in only 50 games in the AHL, added 9pts in 23 games on Long Island.

Still wish the Kings had him in there system. I will never forgive Taylor for that deal.

44. LW Konstantin Pushkarev(DAL): Scrawny talented Pushkarev possesses very good skill, but lacks the will to succeed at the next level. Looked good at times when called up to LA this year, he has not been able to produce offensively enough at the AHL level. Likely a bust.

Matt Carle please.

Walzy

44. LW Konstantin Pushkarev(DAL): Scrawny talented Pushkarev possesses very good skill, but lacks the will to succeed at the next level. Looked good at times when called up to LA this year, he has not been able to produce offensively enough at the AHL level. Likely a bust.

he didn't look that bad in Iowa...

for Dallas:
#33 Loui Eriksson
should have a spot on the Stars' roster next year. Should be a decent 2nd liner in the NHL (+can play both wings)
#36 Vojtech Polak
had a few NHL games so far, but seems very soft 50/50 he will make the jump to the NHL in the next 2-3 years
#54 B.J. Crombeen
Finland/AHL/ECHL...wherever he plays he looks like an average 3rd/4th line player. wouldn't mind if he become an average cheking line winge rin the NHL too, but i doubt it
#99 Matt Nickerson
He has all the tools to be able to beat up every goon/enforcer who's in the NHL right now....but well before playing in the NHL he should learn how to play hockey. Drafted as a Dman, the Star snow try to make him a forward
#134 Alexander Naurov
nothig special
#144 Eero Kilpelainen
maybe an above average AHL goale some day...but i doubt it
#165 Gino Guyer
nothing special
#185 Francis Wathier
fan favourite in Iowa....well...that's nearly all to say about him
#195 Drew Bagnall
traded for Valeri Bure some years back. Should be easily a NHL playe rin the future :rant:
#196 Elias Granath
doesn't know much about him, but seems like the "nothing special"-category
#259 Niko Vainio
already retired due back problems

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
of course we couldnt manage to keep our first rounder in one of the best draft's EVER, but here is what we got.

#64, jim howard, could end up as a starter. downside is a good backup. good pick.

#132, kyle quincey, will be a full time nhl'er next season. played well in the playoffs. allthough he struggled a bit against the skilled guys at times. excellent pick, projection: top 4 d-man.

#164, ryan oulahen. nothing special. career ahl'er.

#170 andreas sundin. terrible pick. will never even be a solid player in the SEL.

#194 stefan blom. awfull pick. played this season in the swedish div-1 and div-2 (tierIII and tierIIII) that says it.

#226 tomas kollar. another terrible pick from sweden. was 21 at the time and didnt even dominate the tierII league in sweden. will never turn into anything.

#258 vladimir kutny. just another bad pick. will never come back to NA.

#289 mikael johansson. will never play in NA. decent SEL player.

overall the first two picks was good, other then that it was awfull, even if we didnt have a first round pick i cant help being a little disappointed. it was a very good draft and we missed out on some excellent players.

aspin

Sep 13, 2002
Regina
Visit site
I have to get to work so I cannot type about each player but it is one of the Oilers best drafts as well. You will hear some on here come and talk about the passing on Parise and trading with NJ for Pouliot and Jacques but I really think this will be the break-out year for both of them as they are one year younger than Parise.

We will see by June 1st however there is a really good possibility that each and every player on this list will be signed except Zhukov.

What a list. You will be hearing a lot from these players in the future.

22 C Marc-Antoine Pouliot
51 R Colin McDonald
68 L Jean-Francois Jacques
72 C Mikhail Zhukov
94 R Zach Stortini
147 R Kalle Olsson
154 D David Rohlfs
184 R Dragan Umicevic
214 C Kyle Brodziak
215 D Mathieu Roy
248 D Josef Hrabal
278 R Troy Bodie

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Yeah, that Boogaard guy just sucks huh. :sarcasm:
(Yes I know he was a 2001 pick)

Um, this is the 2003 draft.

No 4th rounder (traded for Irmen)
5th rounder Marcin Kolusz (what the hell happened to him? He's like disappeared)
6th rounder Miroslav Kopriva (can't even make it to the AHL and play)
7th Round Georgi Misharin (left for Russia and isn't coming back)
8th Round Mathieu Melanson (never even signed him)
9th Round Jean- Michael Bolduc (signed and then disappeared)
Oh yeah other 8th rounder Adam Couchraine made it to the AHL but then disappeared too...

So...Um, 2003 wasn't exactly a great draft for Minnesota given the depth it had. Anything after the 3rd round in 2003 WAS A BUST for Minnesota. Only one is still playing in the AHL/ECHL and has struggled mightly.

And personally, Boogaard and Veilleux have been the only players coming out of the later rounds that have panned out for Minnesota. Good? I don't know but we don't seem to get much out of our drafts. At least only Thelen has sucked in our first round.

Kaktus*

Carter
Richards
Ruzicka
Potulny
Picard
Romy
5 players that are playing in the NHL, I would say that the 2003 draft was a huge success for Philly.

Not to mention that we traded for Coburn who went 8th over all and Kukkonen who went 151.

Flyers 2003 players:
#8 Coburn
#11 Carter
#24 Richards
#81 Ruzicka
#85 Picard
#87 Potulny
#151 Kukkonen

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
2003 - St. Louis Blues
30 D Shawn Belle - disappointing pick but later traded for Jason Bacashihua
62 F David Backes - NHL power-forward with 30-30-60 potential
84 G Konstantin Barulin - star goalie of RSL ; 50/50 of ever signing and reporting
88 D Zack Fitzgerald - likely career AHL'er; potential NHL enforcer/depth D-man
101 L Konstantin Zakharov - average AHL forward; longshot for NHL career
127 C Alexandre Bolduc - just a guy
148 F Lee Stempniak - THE STEAL of the '03 draft. s/b perennial 30+ goal scorer.
159 G Chris Beckford-Tseu : possible NHL backup.
189 C Jonathan Lehun - just a guy
221 L Evgeny Skachkov - just a guy
253 D Andrei Pervyshin - just a guy
284 F Tapio Aaltonen - boom/bust prospect playing in Finland. If he ever signs and reports to NA, he's got a chance of being top-6 scorer. sick stick-handling skills.

Despite missing out on the elite talent at the top of the draft, Jarmo Kekalanien's first draft produced 2 legitimate NHL scorers (Backes & Stempniak), 2 other guys who have already dressed for NHL games (Belle & Beckford-Tseu) and 2 more highly-touted European players who could be impact players if they ever decide to come to North America (Barulin & Aaltonen). A solid draft, and a sign of things to come from the "new" STL scouting department.

Chootoi

Jan 7, 2005
Phoenix did alright :sarcasm::

1st rd - No pick
2nd rd - No pick
3rd rd - Tyler Redenbach - we had him, lost him to boston, then reacquired him, still in the minors.
3rd rd - Dmitry Pestunov - good talent. has shown no interest in coming over from russia
4th rd - Liam Lindstrom - ECHL
5th rd - No pick
6th rd - Ryan Gibbons - ECHL
7th rd - Randall Gelech - AHL - has a very small window of making the NHL. with the current youth movement it may not happen
8th rd - Eduard Lewandowski - decent player. shown no interest in coming over from Germany
9th rd - Sean Sullivan - Boston University captain. just signed pro with San Antonio. for the ninth rd you can't lose here
9th rd - Loic Burkhalter - no interest in leaving the Swiss league

so out of that we have no current roster players, 3 current AHLers, with only one (Sullivan) having a potential impact on the Coyotes, 2 ECHLers, and a bunch of guys who fell off the face of the earth. for a draft with such a surplus of talent, we sure managed to **** the bed.

fan mao rong

Feb 6, 2003
port royal , pa
Visit site
Philadelphia Flyers...

Round 1, #11: Jeff Carter (C)

Great skater, loads of offensive talent, and has one of the most devestating wrist shots I've ever seen. Now, if only he could get that wrist shot on net more often! His shooting % is piss poor thus far, and it's something he really has to work on if he's going to live up to his potential. Lastly, he needs to get stronger -- something that will hopefully happen as he continues to fill out his frame. He's a sniper with first-line center potential, make no mistake about it.

Round 1, #24: Mike Richards (C)

Future captain and already a fan favorite because of his tenacity and fearlessness. He's already a great defensive forward who logs significant time on the PK and will center our shutdown line for the next decade -- he'll be in Selke contention for a long time. While Mike might never put up gaudy offensive numbers, he's a great passer who can fill in on the second line in a pinch, if needed. Richards is an invaluable player because of all the things he does that don't show up on the score sheet.

------------------Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, and all that , and also to the rest. But here's a question I have pondered , Philly fans. How do you feel that Anaheim was able to get Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry with 2 later 1st round picks?

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
2003 - St. Louis Blues
30 D Shawn Belle - disappointing pick but later traded for Jason Bacashihua
62 F David Backes - NHL power-forward with 30-30-60 potential
84 G Konstantin Barulin - star goalie of RSL ; 50/50 of ever signing and reporting
88 D Zack Fitzgerald - likely career AHL'er; potential NHL enforcer/depth D-man
101 L Konstantin Zakharov - average AHL forward; longshot for NHL career
127 C Alexandre Bolduc - just a guy
148 F Lee Stempniak - THE STEAL of the '03 draft. s/b perennial 30+ goal scorer.
159 G Chris Beckford-Tseu : possible NHL backup.
189 C Jonathan Lehun - just a guy
221 L Evgeny Skachkov - just a guy
253 D Andrei Pervyshin - just a guy
284 F Tapio Aaltonen - boom/bust prospect playing in Finland. If he ever signs and reports to NA, he's got a chance of being top-6 scorer. sick stick-handling skills.

Despite missing out on the elite talent at the top of the draft, Jarmo Kekalanien's first draft produced 2 legitimate NHL scorers (Backes & Stempniak), 2 other guys who have already dressed for NHL games (Belle & Beckford-Tseu) and 2 more highly-touted European players who could be impact players if they ever decide to come to North America (Barulin & Aaltonen). A solid draft, and a sign of things to come from the "new" STL scouting department.

st. louis had very good draft IMO. belle was a bad pick, but backes was a good pick, barulin good pick (if he comes over), stempniak amazing pick, beckford tseu decent pick, aaltonen good pick (if he comes over).

btw: why do you call him tapio? some kind of nick name??

sticknrink

Aug 17, 2006
London
23 C Ryan Kesler
60 R Marc-Andre Bernier
111 C Brandon Nolan
128 L Ty Morris
160 L Nicklas Danielsson
190 D Chad Brownlee
222 C Francois-Pierre Guenet
252 F Sergei Topol
254 D Nathan McIver
285 D Matthew Hansen

Vancouver had a fantastically horrible draft. The next year was so much better and incidentally, it was the first one not run by Burke.

Apart from Kesler, there is nobody of note and many (Danielsson, Nolan, Bernier) have already busted.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
23 C Ryan Kesler
60 R Marc-Andre Bernier
111 C Brandon Nolan
128 L Ty Morris
160 L Nicklas Danielsson
190 D Chad Brownlee
222 C Francois-Pierre Guenet
252 F Sergei Topol
254 D Nathan McIver
285 D Matthew Hansen

Vancouver had a fantastically horrible draft. The next year was so much better and incidentally, it was the first one not run by Burke.

Apart from Kesler, there is nobody of note and many (Danielsson, Nolan, Bernier) have already busted.

doesnt look to good, other then kesler that is. isnt that bernier guy jonathan bernier's brother??

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
st. louis had very good draft IMO. belle was a bad pick, but backes was a good pick, barulin good pick (if he comes over), stempniak amazing pick, beckford tseu decent pick, aaltonen good pick (if he comes over).

btw: why do you call him tapio? some kind of nick name??

I believe his full name is Juha-Matti Tapio Aaltonen. The site I copied the list from (hockeydb) listed him as Tapio. :)

Last edited:

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Um, this is the 2003 draft.

No 4th rounder (traded for Irmen)
5th rounder Marcin Kolusz (what the hell happened to him? He's like disappeared)
6th rounder Miroslav Kopriva (can't even make it to the AHL and play)
7th Round Georgi Misharin (left for Russia and isn't coming back)
8th Round Mathieu Melanson (never even signed him)
9th Round Jean- Michael Bolduc (signed and then disappeared)
Oh yeah other 8th rounder Adam Couchraine made it to the AHL but then disappeared too...

So...Um, 2003 wasn't exactly a great draft for Minnesota given the depth it had. Anything after the 3rd round in 2003 WAS A BUST for Minnesota. Only one is still playing in the AHL/ECHL and has struggled mightly.

And personally, Boogaard and Veilleux have been the only players coming out of the later rounds that have panned out for Minnesota. Good? I don't know but we don't seem to get much out of our drafts. At least only Thelen has sucked in our first round.

Did you miss the part where I said that I knew he was a 2001 pick? My point was, with the way you said it, it sounded like you were implying that MN has had no pick after the 3rd pan out, and that isn't true. Yes the pickings are slim, but that will change. Quit bein a negative ninny. :)

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Well we did have a good draft last year but before that...We had a lot of really, really bad players save for Boogaard come out of the later rounds of the draft.

haunted77

Nov 27, 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada
Philadelphia Flyers...

Round 1, #11: Jeff Carter (C)

Great skater, loads of offensive talent, and has one of the most devestating wrist shots I've ever seen. Now, if only he could get that wrist shot on net more often! His shooting % is piss poor thus far, and it's something he really has to work on if he's going to live up to his potential. Lastly, he needs to get stronger -- something that will hopefully happen as he continues to fill out his frame. He's a sniper with first-line center potential, make no mistake about it.

Round 1, #24: Mike Richards (C)

Future captain and already a fan favorite because of his tenacity and fearlessness. He's already a great defensive forward who logs significant time on the PK and will center our shutdown line for the next decade -- he'll be in Selke contention for a long time. While Mike might never put up gaudy offensive numbers, he's a great passer who can fill in on the second line in a pinch, if needed. Richards is an invaluable player because of all the things he does that don't show up on the score sheet.

------------------Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, and all that , and also to the rest. But here's a question I have pondered , Philly fans. How do you feel that Anaheim was able to get Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry with 2 later 1st round picks?

Carter vs Getzlaf you might be able to make an argument over but both are projected first line players, I would take Richards over Perry everytime no question about it. Richards is the future captain of this team.

It Kills Me

Aug 6, 2004
57 D John Doherty
91 L Martin Sagat
125 R Konstantin Volkov
158 C John Mitchell
220 C Jeremy Williams
237 C Shaun Landolt

Pat O`Sullivan was supposedly on the Leafs radar , but we weren't aggressive enough and we missed out .

Jeremy Williams may be a NHLer .

Kaktus*

We feel that Getzlaf is a better player on a team that has two Norris d-man and a steady goalie. Also, we feel that it is too early to write Carter off.

I am not sure if Perry is better then M.Richards. Statistically maybe but Richards brings d-sive game and leadership. Richards scored almost the same # points playing 20 less games then last season.

Not to make any excuses but your team is going to cup finals and our teams finished last.

Last edited by a moderator:

winslow

May 29, 2006
St. John's
57 D John Doherty
91 L Martin Sagat
125 R Konstantin Volkov
158 C John Mitchell
220 C Jeremy Williams
237 C Shaun Landolt

Pat O`Sullivan was supposedly on the Leafs radar , but we weren't aggressive enough and we missed out .

One of the best drafts in a long time and this is what the leafs end up with. We better hope williaams turns out to be a 30 goal scorer or this is the dirtiest collection of players to ever be drafted. Someone working for the leafs had to know that this draft was going to be a powerhouse but noone could get a deal done to move the leafs at least up into the top two rounds of this draft

mooseOAK*

57 D John Doherty
91 L Martin Sagat
125 R Konstantin Volkov
158 C John Mitchell
220 C Jeremy Williams
237 C Shaun Landolt

He will be and so will John Mitchell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->