Your team under a $36 million cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Good Flying Bird*

What rollback?

The owners want a rollback AND a salary cap?

Good luck

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
RangerBoy said:
The Rangers have $17,518,000 committed for 2005-06 in six players:Jaromir Jagr,Bobby Holik,Michael Nylander,Darius Kasparaitis,Dale Purinton and Jason Struswick.Purinton and Strudwick are on two way deals.That figure includes the 24% rollback and the Capitals taking half of Jagr's salary-$4.18 million

Tom Poti may or may not be qualified at $2.356 million.Karel Rachunek($1.14 million),Jamie Lundmark,Jed Ortmeyer,Blair Betts and Jozef Balej are restricted.Kevin Weekes($1.045 million)is either restricted or unrestricted depending if the age of unrestricted free agency is lowered to 30.Tom Renney said Weekes will be the Rangers #1 goaltender with Jason LaBarbera as his back-up

Fedor Tyutin and Maxim Kondratiev should be in the Rangers top six defensemen

The Rangers want to bring over some of their older European prospects in Petr Prucha and Jarkko Immonen(who would play in New York)
Keep in mind that the Rangers are "on the hook" for the entire Jagr salary . . . all of it counts against the Ranger cap figure.

And despite Brooks' ramblings the Caps are only paying (pre rollback) $4.5-million of Jagr's salary (I have this directly from the owner).

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
heshootshescores said:
I think trading cap room, like environmental credits, would be a great thing! It would allow rebuilding teams to get compensation (money, picks, prospects, etc.) without wasting that space. It shouldn't truly affect the 54% goal by that much.

The details on whether or not luxury tax is added would be tricky... i.e. if the Caps are at 24M and trade 2M to the Rangers, are the Caps essentially trading 2M of untaxed credits to the Rangers or are they still taxed??? :dunno:

To the question of Jagr, I believe the Caps must take his portion they are paying, whatever the true number is, under their cap.
Every one I talked to and every thing I read says even though the Caps are playing roughly 40% of Jagr's salary, 100% of the contract counts against the Rangers cap figure . . . . . Jagr isn't the only contract where the former team pays part of the salary.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
RangerBoy said:
Why doesn't Teddy just come out and say how much the Caps are paying?Is Teddy telling the truth?Just ask the AOL stockholders
He did . . . . the Caps pay (prerollback) $4.5-million per year. And what does Leonsis have to do with AOL stockholders . . . . you do realize, don't you that his job is not to report AOL stocks - but to work on the entertainment divison. And if you don't want to believe Leonsis, how about McPhee?

Last edited:

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
HockeyCritter said:
Every one I talked to and every thing I read says even though the Caps are playing roughly 40% of Jagr's salary, 100% of the contract counts against the Rangers cap figure . . . . . Jagr isn't the only contract where the former team pays part of the salary.

If this is true, then the trade details must be liked that of baseball... where teams trade player + cash for player with the amount of cash payable over a time frame.

I'm sure Jagr is the only contract under these types of terms, but I am sure that the outcome depends on the language of the trades.

SENSible1*

Newsguyone said:
What rollback?

Good luck

No luck needed, simply a matter of leverage. The PA has caved.

LordHelmet

May 19, 2004
Twin Cities
If 04-05 contracts are extended and there are no provisions for getting under the cap, the Stars are hosed. They'd be at $43.5M after the rollback. If those are the conditions, then it's simply impossible for them to get under the cap and dress a full roster.

The best scenario for the Stars is if 04-05 contracts die on schedule and there is a provision for buyout money to be cap-exempt. If that's the case, we could buy out Turgeon for $3M, leaving 8 players signed for $18.5M.

Critical players to resign would be:
Modano - $6.8M ($9M rolled back)
Zubov - $4.5M
Morrow - $1.4M (15% raise)

That gives us 11 players for $31.2M, leaving $7.8M to sign minor leaguers and to fill out the roster. That doesn't sound like much, but if you take all of the minor leaguers & fillers that had 04-05 contracts, they only total up to about $6M in rolled back dollars. That brings our payroll for a full roster of 25 to roughly $37.5M - leaving about $1.5M for a free agent, extra prospects, or additional negotiating room for the three critical signings mentioned above.

The need in free agency would be a 4th center. I'd be happy with Modano, Barnes & Kapanen as our top three so we wouldn't need anyone very high-priced.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
letsgojackets said:
Depending on the status of last years contracts, this changes. It would have been the last year for Nash and Cassells. Klesla also signed a 1 year deal going into the season. I'm not sure of Irbe's status, but MaClean is talking like Leclaire will be the back up in the next season so Irbe would be out. I think MaClean is ready and waiting to snag some the free agents from teams that have to get down to the cap. You also have to include Fritsche in those numbers, and possibly Lidstrom.
yep, very true, but like i said, i went by the numbers for 04/05 at the nhlpa site. if they are wrong, ok, but thats the only place i knew to look for contracts ;)

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Top Shelf said:
Also Zherdev should be on that list. He signed a three year deal so he has 1 year left on his initial contract.

Nash will need to be resigned as his contract has experied. Also, as previously noted, Klesla signed the 1 year deal so he'll also need resigned.

Depending on how much Nash gets (I'm thinking in the 3 mil a year range) we may have some extra cash to spend on an UFA or two - hopefully on a quality D-man. I think MacLean will definitely stay below the luxury tax limit (whatever that will be)especially since he mentioned that ticket prices will be reduced which obviously means the team's projected revenues will decrease.
like i said in the original post and in a reply, i only can go by what the nhlpa site says, and thats who they have signed. also, i think we will have more than "some extra cash" to spend :) thats 20mill, i think you take irbe off, so that makes it around 18, add nash, leclaire(if healthy, IF healthy, hes gonna be the backup), zherdev, fritsche, johnson, lidstrom(possibly), etc. but thats maybe 6 or 7 mill. putting us around 25 mill. leaving us 9 mill left, depending on how close we will get to the new cap

X0ssbar

RDriesen16 said:
like i said in the original post and in a reply, i only can go by what the nhlpa site says, and thats who they have signed. also, i think we will have more than "some extra cash" to spend :) thats 20mill, i think you take irbe off, so that makes it around 18, add nash, leclaire(if healthy, IF healthy, hes gonna be the backup), zherdev, fritsche, johnson, lidstrom(possibly), etc. but thats maybe 6 or 7 mill. putting us around 25 mill. leaving us 9 mill left, depending on how close we will get to the new cap

DMGM was very adament on 1460thefan last week that cap or no cap they will only spend up to what their projected revenues will be - that is why I have some hesitation with how much over the minimum he'll actually spend. There is no doubt revenues are going to take a significant hit especially if ticket prices are lowered and more sponsors are lost (Bank One/JPMC has apparently bailed for next year). We most certainly won't go over the luxury tax threshhold.

I am not sure why the NHLPA site doesn't have Zherdev or Fritsche listed as signed :dunno: They both have a year left on their 3-year deals.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Top Shelf said:
DMGM was very adament on 1460thefan last week that cap or no cap they will only spend up to what their projected revenues will be - that is why I have some hesitation with how much over the minimum he'll actually spend. There is no doubt revenues are going to take a significant hit especially if ticket prices are lowered and more sponsors are lost (Bank One/JPMC has apparently bailed for next year). We most certainly won't go over the luxury tax threshhold.

I am not sure why the NHLPA site doesn't have Zherdev or Fritsche listed as signed :dunno: They both have a year left on their 3-year deals.
i dont trust doug on that one though, at least not for the long run ;) i believe the owner will spend a little more if it makes us a better team. now we wont go way over and we may not want to go over in the first year after a lockout, but i think if we could get someone that would really help us, even if it pushed us over a little, we would. also, i was just going on the assumption that most players wouldnt be making more than they would have last year(how could they) if anything less. except for a few, like a nash

DW3

May 13, 2004
The Panthers and their 04/05 pay (pre-roll back)
Audette Donald Right Wing Unsigned
Berglund Christian Centre $632,500.00
Biron Mathieu Defence $1,100,000.00
Cairns Eric Defence $700,000.00
Hagman Niklas Left Wing $775,500.00
Hill Sean Defence $2,000,000.00
Hordichuk Darcy Left Wing $544,500.00
Horton Nathan Centre $1,240,000.00
Huselius Kristian Right Wing $1,600,000.00
Jokinen Olli Centre Unsigned
Karpovtsev Alexander Defence $1,000,000.00
Kolnik Juraj Right Wing $440,000.00
Kwiatkowski Joel Defence $450,000.00
Luongo Roberto Goal $2,400,000.00
McLennan Jamie Goal $625,000.00
Messier Eric Left Wing Unsigned
Mezei Branislav Defence $950,000.00
Morisset David Right Wing Unsigned
Nedorost Vaclav Centre $675,000.00
Odelein Lyle Defence Unsigned**
Samuelsson Mikael Right Wing Unsigned
Shields Steve Goal Unsigned**
Trnka Pavel Defence Unsigned
Van Ryn Mike Defence $1,400,000.00

Our signed players cost $26.4 mil. ($20.1 rollback)

As much as I would miss them, Odelein and Shields are probably gone. Our main focus has to be resigning players, especially Jokinen, Messier, and Audette. I'm not including (mainly cause I'm not sure who it effects) players who would lose a year, but even including them, I don't see a real big problem staying under cap, plus signing a big time player or two..

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
EndBoards said:
If 04-05 contracts are extended and there are no provisions for getting under the cap, the Stars are hosed. They'd be at $43.5M after the rollback. If those are the conditions, then it's simply impossible for them to get under the cap and dress a full roster.

The best scenario for the Stars is if 04-05 contracts die on schedule and there is a provision for buyout money to be cap-exempt. If that's the case, we could buy out Turgeon for $3M, leaving 8 players signed for $18.5M.

Critical players to resign would be:
Modano - $6.8M ($9M rolled back)
Zubov - $4.5M
Morrow - $1.4M (15% raise)

That gives us 11 players for $31.2M, leaving $7.8M to sign minor leaguers and to fill out the roster. That doesn't sound like much, but if you take all of the minor leaguers & fillers that had 04-05 contracts, they only total up to about $6M in rolled back dollars. That brings our payroll for a full roster of 25 to roughly $37.5M - leaving about $1.5M for a free agent, extra prospects, or additional negotiating room for the three critical signings mentioned above.

The need in free agency would be a 4th center. I'd be happy with Modano, Barnes & Kapanen as our top three so we wouldn't need anyone very high-priced.

Not in this lifetime are the 04-05 going to be extended so the Stars really aren't in as bad shape and the picture you just painted. With the 24% rollback the stars have 9 player for a little over $23M committed. Now throw in the RFA with expired contracts and based on them signing for their QA that adds another 7 players for an additional $6.7M. So they have 16 players signed for $30M. They buy out Guerin and Turgeon and don't qualify Arnott and that frees up $14M in cap space or 13 players signed for $16M (assuming buy outs will not go against the cap). That gives them enough money to re-sign Modano and Zubov and go after some free agents to fill the holes.

HckyFght*

I'm curious to know how much cap room will need to be set aside for call-ups throughout a season. Players get injured and others called in to replace them. We presumably don't know how the new CBA will treat two way players, but the union has rules on how many times a player can be called up and sent down before his official NHL salary kicks in. In the past, teams smitten with lots of injuries have had to play with a short bench because they can no longer afford the extra salaries. The question is, how much, on average, this extra salary burden means to each team and what effect it might have on the cap?
-HckyFght!

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
garry1221 said:
Wings roster after rollback

Holmstrom (1.368) - Lang (3.8) - Shanahan (2.28) Total = 7.448
Maltby (1.463) - Draper (2.128) - McCarty (1.71) Total = 5.301
Mowers (285K) - Whitney (2.66) Total = 2.945

Lidstrom (7.6) - Hatcher (4.94) Total = 12.54
Fischer (1.33) - Rivers (304K) Total = 1.634

Legace (1.14)

this roster is without signing any rfa's or ufa's. Grand Total so far is 31.008 mil.

RFA's to re-sign: Datsyuk 2.5 mil; Zetterberg; 1.75 mil Grand Total: 35.258

Still need kronwall signed, williams should be signed

UFA's if dandenault comes cheap enough he could be, we all pray stevie has enough for one last farewell.

in short, the only way we'd be able to ice a full team would be to pray that lidstrom defers a good portion of his contract, maybe hatcher too

Most likely, there will be buyout options. If there are, Whitney and Hatcher will be gone, though they might try to just re work Hatcher's contract. They'll be fine.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Newsguyone said:
What rollback?

Good luck

lol, still acting all tough? PA has basicly given in already, it's a question of numbers now.

King_Brown

2 words folks REVENUE SHARING. The Flames will be propped up thanks to revenue sharing. We made $15 profits last year I think.

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
King_Brown said:
2 words folks REVENUE SHARING. The Flames will be propped up thanks to revenue sharing. We made $15 profits last year I think.

whatever they get in revenue sharing will be sent straight back out in luxury tax to other teams if Calgary is over 29M as the poster mentions in his 30M+ payroll.

Obviously this is based on the numbers suggested in the disputed article.

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
King_Brown said:

If the Flames made money last season then they will be paying into the revenue pool not receiving it.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
King_Brown said:

1. A big chunk of revenue sharing supposedly coming from the playoffs. So even if the flames do well in the playoffs they'll get much less money from their efforts.

2. Luxury taxes will bite smaller teams. Its one thing for the smaller owners to accept paying and losing money by spending it on their own team, its another thing entirely to lose money paying it as a luxury tax to someone else. Different mind set.

Last edited:

Paisano*

RDriesen16 said:
i think you take irbe off, so that makes it around 18, add nash, leclaire(if healthy, IF healthy, hes gonna be the backup),

I hope he's healthy for the sole purpose of dumpng Irbe! $1,900,000?? talk about overpaid!! There should be some good free agents available for that kind of money!

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
JBum said:
I hope he's healthy for the sole purpose of dumpng Irbe! $1,900,000?? talk about overpaid!! There should be some good free agents available for that kind of money!
dont worry bout that, that would have been his contract if they played last year. irbe is gone whether leclaire makes the team or not

King_Brown

There better be revenue sharing significant revenue sharing. All teams must contribute to the share.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->