Your team under a $36 million cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It seems as though a lot of teams are going to have trouble getting under a $36 million cap. Not only that, but they will have to leave some room under the cap to accommodate players on the injured reserve, etc.

Also, it will be interesting to see how many teams will be willing to go above that $29 million number if it ends up being true that a dollar for dollar tax starts there. I perceive that many teams will be content to stick under that number, leaving a lot of UFA's in a tough position. Such players may have to accept a lot less than they bargained for.

How many teams will be bidding to improve their team and have the cap room to do so? I can't think of many.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Pangolin said:
I wonder how Jagr's salary would count under the cap...Would the whole contract be under Rangers' cap or would 1/2 be under Washington's?

It would make more sense for the whole contract be under the Rangers'...Otherwise the whole system become meaningless if teams are allowed to trade cap room like this.

The NHL will split the post-rollback annual $8.36M salary cap charge on Jaromir Jagr's contract equally between the Rangers and Caps, executive sources have told The Post.

Sources yesterday confirmed that the terms of the Jan. 23, 2004 trade that brought Jagr to New York from Washington stipulate that the Rangers and Caps are each responsible for paying half of No. 68's salary. Which means that after the 24-percent contract rollback that will become part of the new CBA, Jagr will cost Glen Sather's team only $4.18M per against cap, an entirely reasonable amount, after all.

Gary Bettman's league-endorsed plan to assess teams according to the percentage of contracts they are actually paying, also means that the Caps will start at $11.225M under the cap, with Olaf Kolzig as the team's only bona fide NHL player under contract

http://www.nypost.com/sports/rangers/24754.htm

Here is the key

Gary Bettman's league-endorsed plan to assess teams according to the percentage of contracts they are actually paying

The Capitals are paying 1/2 of Jagr's contract so under Bettman's plan the Caps will be hit with the percentage of the contract they are actually paying which is 50%

Kill 'Em All

Feb 26, 2004
rumormethis.com

here's my "post-CBA, rollback included" version of the leafs:

(6.88+???) -- Steen (0.8) - Sundin (6.08) - RW1
(7.34) -- Tucker (1.6) - Stajan (0.8) - Nolan (4.94*)
(2.0) -- Ponikarovksy (0.6) - Antropov (0.9) - Kukumberg (0.5)
(1.8) -- Wilm (0.5) - Wellwood (0.8) - Belak (0.5)
(0.5) -- Kilger (0.5)

(3.5+???) -- McCabe (3.5) - D1
(2.7) -- Kaberle (2.2) - Pilar (0.5)
(2.45) -- Klee (1.9) - Colaiacovo (0.55)
(0.5) -- Hedin (0.5)

(5.0) -- Belfour (4.5), Tellqvist (0.5)

-------
$32.67

*nolan's contract is a huge motherf'er, but on a TO radio station nolan said he would be willing to "restructure" his contract to stay with the leafs (like many other vets w/large contracts will have to do to stay with their current teams).

there's some speculation that perhaps sundin and belfour might do the same, if asked. so, if the new cba allows for it, the leafs can squeeze out $2-3 mil (combined) from mats+owen+eddie, and then TRY to sign 1 top UFA forward (murray/kariya/straka/etc.) + 1 top UFA D-man (aucoin/gonchar/etc.).

otherwise, they'll most likely go with allison/lindros/roberts/nieuwendyk + leetch.

Ice Cream Man

$1 Oysters
Aug 22, 2002
Visit site
Benton Fraser said:
The Flames payroll was just over 36 million for 03/04 right, and they lost money. So why would they spend 36 million and lose more money, it seems to me as though the Flames are not spending within their means.

The Calgary Flames turned a profit last year of apprx. $6 million, which factors in playoff revenues.

This was the first year in several years where they ended in black. This profit was apparently used to assist in repaying off the $36 million losses the club accumulated over this time period.

The Flames, however, are committed to keeping the team in Calgary; hence the reason for signing Iginla to that large contract, in order to please the fans by showing them they are willing to sign the right player to build a contender with.

Last edited:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
RW:
Radim Vrbata - 365,750
Jeff O'Neill - 2,812,000*
Justin Williams - 896,610
Jesse Boulerice - 456,000
LW:
Ryan Bayda - 456,000
Pavel Brendl - 856,900
Josef Vasicek ~ 1,500,000 (wasn't signed before old CBA expired, guesstimate of new contract value)
Erik Cole - 1,140,000
Colin Forbes - 304,000
C:
Matt Cullen - 608,000
Mike Zigomanis - 304,000
Eric Staal - 942,400
Rod Brind'Amour - 3,800,000
Kevyn Adams - 684,000*
D:
Aaron Ward - 1,520,000
Niclas Wallin - 760,000
Glen Wesley - 1,520,000*
Bret Hedican - 2,432,000
Frantisek Kaberle - 1,292,000
Bruno St. Jacques - 304,000
Allan Rourke - 304,000
G:
Cam Ward - 646,000
Martin Gerber - 912,000

Approximate Total Salary - 24,815,660

* = possible UFA.

Vasicek - Cullen - O'Neill
Brendl - Staal - Williams
Ladd - Brindy - Cole
Forbes - Adams - Boulerice
or
Bayda - Adams - Vrbata

Kaberle - UFA/Ward
Hedican - Wesley
Wallin - Ward/St. Jacques or Rourke

Gerber
Ward

all of this is pending whoever Carolina happens to draft. I think that Crosby, Kopitar or Marc Staal could make a run for some good ice time with this team.

Frightened Inmate #2

Jun 26, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Ice Cream Man said:
The Calgary Flames turned a profit last year of apprx. $6 million, which factors in playoff revenues.

This was the first year in several years where they ended in black. This profit was apparently used to assist in repaying off the $36 million losses the club accumulated over this time period.

The Flames, however, are committed to keeping the team in Calgary; hence the reason for signing Iginla to that large contract, in order to please the fans by showing them they are willing to sign the right player to build a contender with.

Let us assume that Calgary will not go back to the Stanley Cup finals, that seems like a fairly reasonable assumption, just look at the select number of teams that have done that in the past, then look at the last decade for the Flames with the pattern of them not making the playoffs. If they don't make the finals once again, they will once again lose money, and that would happen if there was a salary cap or if there wasn't a salary cap if they spend beyond their means. And if the Flames do spend beyond their means and are losing money after the salary cap has been put in place by the league and they are still losing money, then really what has the NHL been able to accomplish?

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
according to the nhlpa site, here is what the jackets have with the rollback.

Cassels - 2,318,000
Denis - 1,520,000
Irbe - 1,900,000
Klesla - 898,700
Lachance - 1,520,000
Letowski - 551,000
Malhotra - 570,000
Marchant - 2,204,00
Nash - 900,600
Richardson - 2,090,000
Sanderson - 2,280000
Shelley - 532,000
Suchy - 950,000
Vyborny - 1,140,000
Wescott - 399,000
Wright - 869,781.24

Total - 20,643,081.24

but who knows what they will have to spend. some of those guys might not be on the team and thats not counting guys like zherdev, svitov, johnson, etc

Torch

Jun 30, 2002
Visit site
Benton Fraser said:
Let us assume that Calgary will not go back to the Stanley Cup finals, that seems like a fairly reasonable assumption, just look at the select number of teams that have done that in the past, then look at the last decade for the Flames with the pattern of them not making the playoffs. If they don't make the finals once again, they will once again lose money, and that would happen if there was a salary cap or if there wasn't a salary cap if they spend beyond their means. And if the Flames do spend beyond their means and are losing money after the salary cap has been put in place by the league and they are still losing money, then really what has the NHL been able to accomplish?

If there is a cap and teams have comparable payrolls, then certainly the Flames chances of making the playoffs are a lot better than before. Not to mention, they'll be able to draw more interest if they can keep their stars, which in turn will help revenues and on-ice success.

Also worth mentioning is that the Flames owners stated a long time ago that they are not in it to make money and have stated that they will settle for "small losses" as long as the team can at least compete. A couple of years ago when the Flames lost $6 million, the owners stated that it was within "acceptable limits". So really, the Flames should be able to meet the upper end of the salary cap.

Last edited:

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
The Flyers under a $36 million cap? :biglaugh: That's a good one. Seriously, though, it will be quite the effort. If player buyouts count against the cap, I have no idea what the lineup will look like.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
Benton Fraser said:
Calgary couldn't afford to reach 36 million or whatever the Cap will be when there wasn't a cap, why will they all of a sudden be able to be able to spend that much money, especially coming back from a lockout where finances are not as certain as they would be in regular years. Calgary won't sign any free agents, or at least won't go up to the maximum

You have no clue what you are talking about when referring to the Flames previous season for salary...

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
Benton Fraser said:
The Flames payroll was just over 36 million for 03/04 right, and they lost money. So why would they spend 36 million and lose more money, it seems to me as though the Flames are not spending within their means.

Fan base will also go out quite a bit after the previous year cup run.

jstreim

Feb 17, 2004
Tampa (assuming 04-05 salaries are held over):

Afanasenkov: $669,469
*Alexeev: $898,700
Andreychuk: $1,368,000
Boyle: $2,090,000
Cibak: $380,000
Dingman: $570,000
Fedotenko: $1,140,000
Grahame: $927,800
Khabibulin: $4,940,000
Kubina: $2,356,000
Lecavalier: $3,325,000
Lukowich: $969,000
Modin: $2,204,000
Perrin: $304,000
Pratt: $565,000
Prospal: $1,900,000
Richards: $1,995,000
Roy: $703,000
Sarich: $1,216,000
St. Louis: Unsigned
Sydor: $2,432,000
Taylor: $646,000
Willis: $418,000

Total: $32,016,969

*Alexeev will almost surely be put on waivers, and if plucked from team, this would bring the total to: $31,118,269

Lineup:

Modin-Richards-St. Louis**
Prospal-Lecavalier-Fedotenko
Andreychuk-Taylor-Afanasenkov
Dingman-Cibak-Willis
Roy, Perrin

Sydor-Kubina
Lukowich-Boyle
Pratt-Sarich
(UFA)

**Yet to be signed.

With a $32 million payroll, it will leave Tampa with only around $3,500,000 to re- sign St. Louis, or maybe even $2,500,000 to possibly re-sign Stillman if St. Louis goes elswhere via free agency, as well as ~$480,000 for a depth UFA defenseman. Obviously, the $31 million payroll is more realistic (opening $4,500,000 for St. Louis), since Alexeev's tenure in Tampa is as good as done after this year in Springfieldhttp://www.hfboards.com/images/smilies/shakeshead.gif, and he will very likely become picked up, since there will be teams still willing to take a chance on him.

Frightened Inmate #2

Jun 26, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Patrick - Flames Fan said:
Fan base will also go out quite a bit after the previous year cup run.

Or it could remain fairly stable from previous years due to the lockout and no hockey for over a year, and also the team won't be able to live up to the standards set forth by the bandwagon fans who will expect the team to perform like a Stanley Cup finalist, and when they don't they will not show up once again. The Flames will then continue to lose money if they go up to the maximum amount allowed under the salary cap - especially if there is a tax emposed after a certain dollar figure. The Flames couldn't survive without a salary cap and having to spend 36 million, now why will they be able to spend 36 million and thrive under a salary cap. It doesn't really add up.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Remember that $36M payroll is going to cost team a total of $43M with luxury tax. Not all teams can do it.

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
RangerBoy said:
The Rangers have $17,518,000 committed for 2005-06 in six players:Jaromir Jagr,Bobby Holik,Michael Nylander,Darius Kasparaitis,Dale Purinton and Jason Struswick.Purinton and Strudwick are on two way deals.That figure includes the 24% rollback and the Capitals taking half of Jagr's salary-$4.18 million

Tom Poti may or may not be qualified at $2.356 million.Karel Rachunek($1.14 million),Jamie Lundmark,Jed Ortmeyer,Blair Betts and Jozef Balej are restricted.Kevin Weekes($1.045 million)is either restricted or unrestricted depending if the age of unrestricted free agency is lowered to 30.Tom Renney said Weekes will be the Rangers #1 goaltender with Jason LaBarbera as his back-up

Fedor Tyutin and Maxim Kondratiev should be in the Rangers top six defensemen

The Rangers want to bring over some of their older European prospects in Petr Prucha and Jarkko Immonen(who would play in New York)

Not accurate... don't believe Brooks. We all know about his "sources"... I'd take Ted's words from his mouth over Brook's peeps. According to below: Caps owe ~4 to 4.5M/yr out of the 11M, ~3M after roolback. The full details were never released, I'm sure under the cap world they should be readily available (and probably described in the last few weeks of financial discussions)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=1716156

www.freep.com/sports/hockey/nhl24_20040124.htm

Last edited:

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
Pangolin said:
I wonder how Jagr's salary would count under the cap...Would the whole contract be under Rangers' cap or would 1/2 be under Washington's?

It would make more sense for the whole contract be under the Rangers'...Otherwise the whole system become meaningless if teams are allowed to trade cap room like this.

I think trading cap room, like environmental credits, would be a great thing! It would allow rebuilding teams to get compensation (money, picks, prospects, etc.) without wasting that space. It shouldn't truly affect the 54% goal by that much.

The details on whether or not luxury tax is added would be tricky... i.e. if the Caps are at 24M and trade 2M to the Rangers, are the Caps essentially trading 2M of untaxed credits to the Rangers or are they still taxed??? :dunno:

To the question of Jagr, I believe the Caps must take his portion they are paying, whatever the true number is, under their cap.

letsgojackets

Feb 2, 2005
RDriesen16 said:

Cassels - 2,318,000
Denis - 1,520,000
Irbe - 1,900,000
Klesla - 898,700
Lachance - 1,520,000
Letowski - 551,000
Malhotra - 570,000
Marchant - 2,204,00
Nash - 900,600
Richardson - 2,090,000
Sanderson - 2,280000
Shelley - 532,000
Suchy - 950,000
Vyborny - 1,140,000
Wescott - 399,000
Wright - 869,781.24

Total - 20,643,081.24

but who knows what they will have to spend. some of those guys might not be on the team and thats not counting guys like zherdev, svitov, johnson, etc

Depending on the status of last years contracts, this changes. It would have been the last year for Nash and Cassells. Klesla also signed a 1 year deal going into the season. I'm not sure of Irbe's status, but MaClean is talking like Leclaire will be the back up in the next season so Irbe would be out. I think MaClean is ready and waiting to snag some the free agents from teams that have to get down to the cap. You also have to include Fritsche in those numbers, and possibly Lidstrom.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
heshootshescores said:
Not accurate... don't believe Brooks. We all know about his "sources"... I'd take Ted's words from his mouth over Brook's peeps. According to below: Caps owe ~4 to 4.5M/yr out of the 11M, ~3M after roolback. The full details were never released, I'm sure under the cap world they should be readily available (and probably described in the last few weeks of financial discussions) :teach:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=1716156

www.freep.com/sports/hockey/nhl24_20040124.htm

Why doesn't Teddy just come out and say how much the Caps are paying?Is Teddy telling the truth?Just ask the AOL stockholders

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
RangerBoy said:
Why would those other reports be more accurate?

Just based on what came out of Ted's mouth... but all of the reports from around the league, to local papers, radio shows, etc etc. said that the financial details are what was holding up the trade, those details weren't going to be released, and the Caps owed about 16-20M of the 49M left.

Now Ted didn't say how much was owed in 04-05, 05-06, 06-07, and 07-08... he just said 4-4.5/yr. Maybe they agreed that the caps would pay half for 3 years and nothing for 07-08... who knows. Then we'd both be accurate.... :)

But, as I said, I'm sure we will find out in a month or two.

PS: I reread that post and I hope it didn't come off as being arrogant. Didn't mean that. :D

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Benton Fraser said:
Or it could remain fairly stable from previous years due to the lockout and no hockey for over a year, and also the team won't be able to live up to the standards set forth by the bandwagon fans who will expect the team to perform like a Stanley Cup finalist, and when they don't they will not show up once again. The Flames will then continue to lose money if they go up to the maximum amount allowed under the salary cap - especially if there is a tax emposed after a certain dollar figure. The Flames couldn't survive without a salary cap and having to spend 36 million, now why will they be able to spend 36 million and thrive under a salary cap. It doesn't really add up.
Are you an oiler fan?,why are you so bent on the Flames and their lack of money? the Flames did survive 7 years of futility because they have very wealthy community owners that want the Flames in Calgary.The Flames owners will spend what the ticket base allows,and even with the lockout it won't be a problem in Calgary.

BTW,whoever posted the 6m profit for 03/04 is way off,it's more like 14m

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
What would be interesting is if the Caps and Rangers go to court/arbitration or whatever against each other over that deal... I am sure that the wording could drastically change the outcome.... did it say that the Caps would pay $x/yr for specific years... was it a whole dollar amount (ie meaning if it was 16-20M did the caps not get relief from this lockout)... very interesting....

The thing as a Caps fan that gives me relief is that Ted, for all his shortcomings to date as ownder, is still a smart businessman. Given the way that the ownership and GMGM prepared for this lockout, I do not believe that they would have agreed to any written language that would not be somewhat favorable to them given the missed 04-05 season. Then again, they were desperate to get rid of him... at what cost??? who knows. :dunno:

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
RangerBoy said:
Why doesn't Teddy just come out and say how much the Caps are paying?Is Teddy telling the truth?Just ask the AOL stockholders

Both articles mention his comments over the radio...

edit: removed since not on topic...

Last edited:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Remember that $36M payroll is going to cost team a total of $43M with luxury tax. Not all teams can do it.

it's not known if that's truly how it will shake out. until the final details are officially released, it's just guesswork.

X0ssbar

RDriesen16 said:

Cassels - 2,318,000
Denis - 1,520,000
Irbe - 1,900,000
Klesla - 898,700
Lachance - 1,520,000
Letowski - 551,000
Malhotra - 570,000
Marchant - 2,204,00
Nash - 900,600
Richardson - 2,090,000
Sanderson - 2,280000
Shelley - 532,000
Suchy - 950,000
Vyborny - 1,140,000
Wescott - 399,000
Wright - 869,781.24

Total - 20,643,081.24

Also Zherdev should be on that list. He signed a three year deal so he has 1 year left on his initial contract.

Nash will need to be resigned as his contract has experied. Also, as previously noted, Klesla signed the 1 year deal so he'll also need resigned.

Depending on how much Nash gets (I'm thinking in the 3 mil a year range) we may have some extra cash to spend on an UFA or two - hopefully on a quality D-man. I think MacLean will definitely stay below the luxury tax limit (whatever that will be)especially since he mentioned that ticket prices will be reduced which obviously means the team's projected revenues will decrease.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad