Your team under a $36 million cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
With a 24% rollback and $36 million cap, how does your team fit in? And please try to stay away from plugging in several UFA's on your roster.

The Habs...

currently have 10 players under contract for around $12.65 million after the rollback.

Rivet ~$2.6 M
Bonk ~ $2,4 M
Souray ~ $2,13 M
Zednik ~ $1,82 M
Sundstrom ~ $980 K
Perezhogin ~ $900 K
Higgins ~ $900 K
Begin ~ $600 K
Hainsey ~ $575 K
Huet ~ $450 K
(taken from Marc the Habs Fan)

To sign Koivu, Ribeiro, Bulis, Theodore, Ryder, Markov, Komisarek and the rest... we should get in at a bit under $30 million. That would leave some room to try to re-sign Kovalev and perhaps get a half decent replacement on defense if the team parts ways with Brisebois.

Traitor8

Nov 3, 2003
Visit site
no way is Brisebois leaving the Habs.

He played great last Nhl Season and he wants to be here! He will take a paycut to remain in Montreal and I wouldn't mind if he wants to finish his career here.

Brisebois.. = a hab for life!
-------------------------

I really like Kovalev but I don't know if it's still a good idea to sign him considering he is 1 year older now, 1 year ago he played with Koivu. There are a lot of great players on the market right now. I guess it depends on the money and the length of the contract. No way I would give him anything more then 2 yrs.

I will let Gainey decide on that one but a 2yr/5.5-6 M $ could be interesting...
---------------------------

On defense, Foote might be available as well as Aucoin...depends how much money we want to spend on them and on Kovalev...

Our defense right now:

Souray-Komisarek
Rivet-Markov
Brisebois- ??????

????? could be Foote,Aucoin,Hainsey or Bouillon. If we get Foote or Aucoin, then we would have Souray,One of them and Makrov who can play top minutes but again just like you said I don't want to plug them in my lineup just yet.

Her'es what the Habs should look like:

Zednik-Koivu-?????
Ryder-Ribeiro-?????
Bulis-Bonk-Hossa
Ward-Begin-?????

those ???? could be filled by Perezhogin,Sundstrom,Dagenais, Kostitsyn,Plekanec,Higgins, Kovalev or other free agents. It remains to be seen.

Last edited:

Poochie_D

Oct 31, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Komisarek8 said:
no way is Brisebois leaving the Habs.

He played great last Nhl Season and he wants to be here! He will take a paycut to remain in Montreal and I wouldn't mind if he wants to finish his career here.

Brisebois.. = a hab for life!
-------------------------

I really like Kovalev but I don't know if it's still a good idea to sign him considering he is 1 year older now, 1 year ago he played with Koivu. There are a lot of great players on the market right now. I guess it depends on the money and the length of the contract. No way I would give him anything more then 2 yrs.

I will let Gainey decide on that one but a 2yr/5.5-6 M $ could be interesting...
---------------------------

On defense, Foote might be available as well as Aucoin...depends how much money we want to spend on them and on Kovalev...

Our defense right now:

Souray-Komisarek
Rivet-Markov
Brisebois- ??????

????? could be Foote,Aucoin,Hainsey or Bouillon. If we get Foote or Aucoin, then we would have Souray,One of them and Makrov who can play top minutes but again just like you said I don't want to plug them in my lineup just yet.

Her'es what the Habs should look like:

Zednik-Koivu-?????
Ryder-Ribeiro-?????
Bulis-Bonk-Hossa
Ward-Begin-?????

those ???? could be filled by Perezhogin,Sundstrom,Dagenais, Kostitsyn,Plekanec,Higgins, Kovalev or other free agents. It remains to be seen.

This team is on the RISE.... not a decline. Signing brisebois would show that Gainey has no plan in making us a contender.

Traitor8

Nov 3, 2003
Visit site
that's why he was our 3rd best defenseman last year and the defenseman with the best +/- and as far as I can remember, he was there when we won the cup.

MobyHotel

Apr 10, 2005
Lexmark
The question should be is your team under 29 million, unless you think that they would like to pay a $1 for $1 tax up to 36 million. 14 million for and extra 7 million of cap room? a little pricey.

MotownMadman

Oct 6, 2003
For Detroit:

Forwards: Lang, Shanahan, Whitney, McCarty, Draper, Maltby

Defense: Lidstrom, Hatcher

Goal: Joseph

I think that is all the players we can have for $36 mill. They'll probably use cardboard cutouts for the other forward lines and defensive pairings.

CarolinaCapsFan

May 26, 2005
NC
For The Caps

Forwards - Ovechkin / Zubrus / Semin
Bondra (Hopefully) / Halpern / Misc FA

Defense - Witt / Eminger

Goalie - Kolzig / Ouellet

- - As far as a cap goes, Washington is probably in one of the better situations. We will need to sing free agents to bring us up to the floor so (hopefully) we will have plenty of room to fill out our roster with a couple of vets to help the young guys who may or may not make the roster (Morrisonn, Klepis, Aulin, Johansson / Gordan)

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
MotownMadman said:
For Detroit:

I think that is all the players we can have for $36 mill. They'll probably use cardboard cutouts for the other forward lines and defensive pairings.

I think the avs are in a very similiar situation.

johnny cool

Feb 19, 2004
Here are how the Flames' 04-05 contracts look rolled back 24%

Chris Clark - $627,000
Mike Commodore - $319,400
Shean Donovan - $646,000
Anders Eriksson - $456,000
Andrew Ference - $475,000
Martin Gelinas - $1,492,000
Jarome Iginla - Unsigned (assuming $7,500,00 would have signed him before, his new salary would be $5,700,000)
Miikka Kiprusoff - $2,242,000
Chuck Kobasew - $858,800
Daymond Langkow - $2,242,000
Jordan Leopold - $722,000
Matthew Lombardi - $399,000
Dave Lowry - Unsigned
Lynn Loyns - $334,400
Tony Lydman - $1,824,000
Steve Montador - $323,000
Ville Niemenen - $456,000
Marcus Nilson - $950,000
Dion Phaneuf - $912,000 (assuming he was signed to the old rookie max of $1.2 million)
Robyn Regehr - $1,330,000
Steve Reinprecht - $1,444,000
Byron Ritchie - $418,000
Chris Simon - $1,444,000
Roman Turek - $760,000
Rhett Warrener - $1,672,000
Jason Wiemer - $950,000
Stephane Yelle - $1,368,000

Total: $24,664,600 (with only Iginla and Lowry unsigned)

Assuming Iginla signs for around 6 million (not unplausible) and Lowry for $650,000 or so, the Flames will have a roster costing them about 31 million, which would mean 5 million to go out and sign other players.

edit: forgot kobasew and lombardi, neither of whom were listed on the NHLPA's website

Last edited:

garry1221

Mar 13, 2003
Walled Lake, Mi
Visit site
MotownMadman said:
For Detroit:

either you didn't take the rollback that the original poster had said, or you used the '04 roster and i believe the original poster used the '05 roster as the habs have more than 10 under contract for the missed season. if, as i suspect the original poster used next season's roster than the wings are in a better position than we see here. edit: plus why put cujo in net when you could throw a few mil somewhere else and put legace in net.

Frightened Inmate #2

Jun 26, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
ryanlambert said:
Assuming Iginla signs for around 6 million (not unplausible) and Lowry for $650,000 or so, the Flames will have a roster costing them about 31 million, which would mean 5 million to go out and sign other players.

Calgary couldn't afford to reach 36 million or whatever the Cap will be when there wasn't a cap, why will they all of a sudden be able to be able to spend that much money, especially coming back from a lockout where finances are not as certain as they would be in regular years. Calgary won't sign any free agents, or at least won't go up to the maximum

MainFlame

Sep 4, 2004
Benton Fraser said:
Calgary couldn't afford to reach 36 million or whatever the Cap will be when there wasn't a cap, why will they all of a sudden be able to be able to spend that much money, especially coming back from a lockout where finances are not as certain as they would be in regular years. Calgary won't sign any free agents, or at least won't go up to the maximum

Calgary's payroll last year was over 38 million.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers have $17,518,000 committed for 2005-06 in six players:Jaromir Jagr,Bobby Holik,Michael Nylander,Darius Kasparaitis,Dale Purinton and Jason Struswick.Purinton and Strudwick are on two way deals.That figure includes the 24% rollback and the Capitals taking half of Jagr's salary-$4.18 million

Tom Poti may or may not be qualified at $2.356 million.Karel Rachunek($1.14 million),Jamie Lundmark,Jed Ortmeyer,Blair Betts and Jozef Balej are restricted.Kevin Weekes($1.045 million)is either restricted or unrestricted depending if the age of unrestricted free agency is lowered to 30.Tom Renney said Weekes will be the Rangers #1 goaltender with Jason LaBarbera as his back-up

Fedor Tyutin and Maxim Kondratiev should be in the Rangers top six defensemen

The Rangers want to bring over some of their older European prospects in Petr Prucha and Jarkko Immonen(who would play in New York)

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
MotownMadman said:
For Detroit:

The Red Wings are not picking up Curtis Joseph's option for 2005-06

http://www.letsgowings.com/theteam/contracts.html

eddy

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
Komisarek8 said:
that's why he was our 3rd best defenseman last year and the defenseman with the best +/- and as far as I can remember, he was there when we won the cup.
I agree Brisebois' staying, play him on the 3rd pairing with PP time and he'll do great.

Frightened Inmate #2

Jun 26, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
MainFlame said:
Calgary's payroll last year was over 38 million.

The Flames payroll was just over 36 million for 03/04 right, and they lost money. So why would they spend 36 million and lose more money, it seems to me as though the Flames are not spending within their means.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
To have a $36M payroll you need to pay $7M in luxury taxes meaning the total will be $43M. Will the Flames pay that much? I don't think so.

doc5hole

Nov 30, 2003
www.southcoasttoday.com
How 04-05 contracts are dispensed makes all the difference in these equations.
Assuming that 04-05 deals roll over with a 24-percent rollback, then the Bruins are as follows ...

GOAL: Raycroft**, Toivonen, Sigalet*, Kultiainen*
DEFENSE: Gonchar, Boynton****, Gill, Jurcina, Moran, Alberts*, Stuart*, Dallman
CENTER: Thornton, Bergeron, Stastny*, Boyes**
RW: Lapointe, Hilbert**, Fitzgerald, Orr
LW: Samsonov, Axelsson, Lacouture***, Samuelsson**, Huml**

* unsigned rookie
** restricted free agent at end of 03-04
*** free agent expected to sign
**** team held option for 04-05

FREE AGENT POTENTIAL:
a top-2-lines right winger, as Bergeron moves to his natural center position.
two more veteran forwards, probably a C and RW, for depth, third-linish support.
A veteran right-side D early in the season if none of Jurcina, Alberts and Stuart are ready for top-4 duty. Jurcina is a right-sider who can play left side. Stuart is a right-sider, Alberts a left-sider.

IF BOSTON WERE NOT TO SIGN ANY FREE AGENTS, THEY COULD ICE A TEAM THAT LOOKS LIKE THIS:

-----------------Raycroft
-----------------Toivonen

----------RD----------------LD
--------Boynton-----------Gonchar
--------Jurcina-------------Gill
--------Moran--------------Alberts
--------Stuart--------------

------RW-----------C-----------LW
-----Lapointe----Thornton-----Boyes
-----Hilbert------Bergeron-----Samsonov
-----Fitzgerald---Stastny------Axelsson
-----Orr-----------------------Lacouture/Samuelsson

Obviously, there are college players and prospects not being factored in here that may upset the apple cart.
This grid attempts to address the apparent intent of the Bruins to give their Prov. prospects the opportunity to fit in as offensive contributors (i.e. Hilbert and Boyes).

Boyes, a natural center, is likely to skate wing where less is required of him (a la Bergeron last year) ... they can shift him at center as needed. I put him on left so stick's inside, crucial with his lack of speed and strength.

Hilbert played LW in Prov, RW in Boston. He's a left shot. Similar application was made last year in Boston by Sullivan. I expect the same, even though he played the entire 04-05 in Prov. as a left winger with Bergeron and usually Keith Aucoin.

There are parts of this group to love, and parts to like, but the huge gamble of it all becomes more likely when you figure that the cap system will leave a buyer's free agent market, where a team like the Bruins can test its youth for 20 games, make a decision here and there and find a serviceable veteran to plug in where necessary.

It's a very pragmatic if unspectacular approach, but I'd be surprised if Boston makes a big splash into the pool and spends $3 million here and $4 million there to give Thornton all-stars on his flanks. But, if they don't win with what they have, they'd better make sure they like the market enough to test the kids because, if they gamble and lose the season, IMO they also lose Thornton to free agency.

Malignant

Oct 22, 2004
Hastings, UK
www.ingserv.com
My team is the Sabres and I predict that they'll try and stay under the $29 million cap.

PHP:
Maxim        Afinogenov   $1,086,800
Milan        Bartovic     $  342,000
Martin       Biron        $2,128,000
Eric         Boulton      $  456,000
Daniel       Briere       $1,938,000
Brad         Brown        $  532,000
Brian        Campbell     $  418,000
Tim          Connolly     $1,036,849
Chris        Drury        $2,774,000
Jean-Pierre  Dumont       $1,596,000
Rory         Fitzpatrick  $  532,000
Michael      Grier        $1,364,352
Jochen       Hecht        $1,596,000
Jeff         Jillson      $  794,000
Dimitri      Kalinin      $1,330,000
Ales         Kotalik      $  798,000
Adam         Mair         $  405,080
Jay          McKee        $1,596,000
Mika         Noronen      $  627,000
Andrew       Peters       $  304,000
Taylor       Pyatt        $  942,590
Todd         Rohloff      $  342,000
Miroslav     Satan        $3,990,000
Henrik       Tallinder    $  537,966
Chris        Taylor       $  266,000
Thomas       Vanek        $  912,000

Total   $28,644,637

As you can see the Sabres only just scrape under the $29 million cap. This is even without the likes of Alexei Zhitnik, Derek Roy and Ryan Miller included. I doubt the Sabres can afford Zhitnik now, whereas with the other two I couldn't find out their contract info. So we're probably just over the cap instead. I can't see the Sabres losing Satan, my guess is they'll drop Biron and use his wages to cover both Miller and Roy. Leaving both Miller and Noronen to fight for the goaltending position.

Pangolin

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I wonder how Jagr's salary would count under the cap...Would the whole contract be under Rangers' cap or would 1/2 be under Washington's?

It would make more sense for the whole contract be under the Rangers'...Otherwise the whole system become meaningless if teams are allowed to trade cap room like this.

MotownMadman

Oct 6, 2003
RangerBoy said:
The Red Wings are not picking up Curtis Joseph's option for 2005-06

http://www.letsgowings.com/theteam/contracts.html

Yep, I forgot that Cujo's contract for the 05-06 season is a club option. Red Wings Central has the Wings down for about 48 mill in contracts for the upcoming season, though that includes Cujo and Shanny. I think that it's closer to the 36 mill figure without them.

What concerns me more are our free agents and players signing contracts in Europe (like Dats). This has more to do with the league getting going again than it does the Wings cost structure, though.

garry1221

Mar 13, 2003
Walled Lake, Mi
Visit site
Wings roster after rollback

Holmstrom (1.368) - Lang (3.8) - Shanahan (2.28) Total = 7.448
Maltby (1.463) - Draper (2.128) - McCarty (1.71) Total = 5.301
Mowers (285K) - Whitney (2.66) Total = 2.945

Lidstrom (7.6) - Hatcher (4.94) Total = 12.54
Fischer (1.33) - Rivers (304K) Total = 1.634

Legace (1.14)

this roster is without signing any rfa's or ufa's. Grand Total so far is 31.008 mil.

RFA's to re-sign: Datsyuk 2.5 mil; Zetterberg; 1.75 mil Grand Total: 35.258

Still need kronwall signed, williams should be signed

UFA's if dandenault comes cheap enough he could be, we all pray stevie has enough for one last farewell.

in short, the only way we'd be able to ice a full team would be to pray that lidstrom defers a good portion of his contract, maybe hatcher too

Nov 28, 2003
Calgary
Benton Fraser said:
The Flames payroll was just over 36 million for 03/04 right, and they lost money. So why would they spend 36 million and lose more money, it seems to me as though the Flames are not spending within their means.

I thought it was said that we made enough money back to counter the losses of the past several years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad