extra:
Bergeron

G
Roloson
Ward

extra:
Biron/Raycroft/Legace

wildone26*

Yeah predicting Rick Nash to be on the next Olympic and World Cup is really reality when he is an offense-only player who has still yet to crack 60 points for a season in the NHL. ROTFL!

As for this World Championships team Nash is no lock. He is in the early pool of players who has been invited and accepted, that is all. If Smyth and Gagne agree to go they are the first and second line left wingers. Nash is not effective on a bottom pairing and there are many other candidates for the 3rd and 4th line left wingers, so he could easily end up being left off.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Yeah predicting Rick Nash to be on the next Olympic and World Cup is really reality when he is an offense-only player who has still yet to crack 60 points for a season in the NHL. ROTFL!

As for this World Championships team Nash is no lock. He is in the early pool of players who has been invited and accepted, that is all. If Smyth and Gagne agree to go they are the first and second line left wingers. Nash is not effective on a bottom pairing and there are many other candidates for the 3rd and 4th line left wingers, so he could easily end up being left off.

:biglaugh:

I'd love to live in Wonderland with you man, but I don't like the trip down the rabits hole. So I'll stick to reality. Get ready to see a lot of Nash on the first line. :yo:

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada

I'm pretty sure if he's one of the first 5 players named, he is going. Just accept it, Hockey Canada does not share your view of Rick Nash.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

As for this World Championships team Nash is no lock. He is in the early pool of players who has been invited and accepted, that is all. If Smyth and Gagne agree to go they are the first and second line left wingers.

You do realize that there most likely will not be another World Cup?

I don't recall any Canadian players dropped from the squad after getting invited, I'd think the players would frown upon such incidents and turn down invitations in much larger numbers.

And it was earlier stated in this thread that Gagne is going to have off season surgery, so it's very unlikely he'll be going.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
You do realize that there most likely will not be another World Cup?

I don't recall any Canadian players dropped from the squad after getting invited, I'd think the players would frown upon such incidents and turn down invitations in much larger numbers.

And it was earlier stated in this thread that Gagne is going to have off season surgery, so it's very unlikely he'll be going.

Jussi, you're spot on. Rick Nash will not be dropped from the roster.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I wonder if M. Ryder will get an invite?

I'm a habs fan and I probably wouldn't select him for the squad, that being said if a guy like Gagne is out due to off-season surgery, Ryder might just get some attention for his goal scoring (reached 30 again this year...)

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Although Rick Nash did not have a good season this year, I still think that he deserves a chance to prove himself yet again at the WCh. I thought that he was very good two years ago at the same tournament so I say go for it.

BTW, have we heard anything about Eric Staal?

Mike Lowrey

Apr 8, 2007
I only know Rick Nash wont be invited. Other then that anything could happen. It depends who is available.

Well, he will, and was invited. But not because he deserved it. Because Team Canada doesn’t want to embarrass Wayne Gretzky.

Last year Gretzky passed over Patrick Marleau, Jonathan Cheechoo, Alex Tanguay. Jason Spezza, Eric Staal, Daniel Briere, Sidney Crosby, Paul Karyia, and Brendon Morrow, among others, to include a kid who not only was injured most of the year, but has glaring holes in his game. As it turns out, Nash was the worst forward on a team that finished 7th.

By not including Nash at the WC, it sends out a message that Gretzky made a mistake selecting him last year. I’m sure most people were hoping Columbus would make the playoffs, but since they again came nowhere close to getting in, the invite for Nash had to go out.

But don’t feel bad, same thing happened at the All Star game. Since the league requires every team be represented, someone from the Jackets had to go. It should have been Vyborny, but it went to Nash because they can’t embarrass the Great One. Even though he’s done a pretty good job doing that himself with the Coyotes and the Olympic team last year.

Not to worry, the last time Gretzky commented on the 2010 Olympics, he suggested Darryl Sutter and Craig MacTavish were the front-runners to be the coach. Sutter relinquished his role as coach of the Flames two days later (something everyone knew was coming), and MacT showed his true colours be leading his team to a 26th place finish. Yeah, I see Wayne is still keeping the old boys network alive and well.

Maybe I'm giving wildone too much credit in having a girlfriend, though.

I think you’re giving Nash too much credit for liking women.

Foote has been out awhile with a high ankle sprain, those things take awhile to heal all the way and I bet he shuts it down for the summer.

I would think his performance last year at the Olympics showed he can’t play on the big ice. But the same could be said about his teammate, and he’s still going.

I guess that's possible, but Stastny's ties to the United States are much stronger than his ties to Canada.

True, but it would be nice to see American kids coming to play for Canada, instead of Canadian kids playing for the US.

:biglaugh:

I'd love to live in Wonderland with you man, but I don't like the trip down the rabits hole. So I'll stick to reality. Get ready to see a lot of Nash on the first line. :yo:

Get ready to see Canada not win the Gold then. 3 times Nash has played for a Canadian team that was suppose to win Gold, and 3 times they haven’t. There is a reason the Jackets have not improved one bit since Nash’s arrival; he ain’t that good. And the facts prove it.

Although Rick Nash did not have a good season this year, I still think that he deserves a chance to prove himself yet again at the WCh. I thought that he was very good two years ago at the same tournament so I say go for it.

Well, I hate to be the history teacher here, but he really didn’t have a good tournament. From the outside you could make the case he did, but when you look at it you see the real story. Playing along side a guy named Joe Thornton is what “made” Nash that year. Without him, don’t look for a repeat performance. Plus, it should be pointed out that Nash went goalless in the medal round, and was awful in the Gold Medal game. And we can’t forget to mention that the reality is, Nash should have been booted from the tournament when he abused the official. So no, Nash did not have a great tournament, and no he does not deserve the chance to prove himself again.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
I would think his performance last year at the Olympics showed he can’t play on the big ice. But the same could be said about his teammate, and he’s still going.

Well, last year would also indicate that Sakic, Iginla, Thornton, Gagne, Lecavelier, St. Louis, Smyth, Draper, Richards, Healtley, and Doan can't play on international ice. So if we're going by your theory, Canada is screwed with or without Nash. However, since we know your theory is bung because we have seen him succeed on international ice, we can ignore that fact.

Get ready to see Canada not win the Gold then. 3 times Nash has played for a Canadian team that was suppose to win Gold, and 3 times they haven’t. There is a reason the Jackets have not improved one bit since Nash’s arrival; he ain’t that good. And the facts prove it.

Well, actually the facts show that last year, despite injury, he was on pace for a 50 goal season, and he also had the best +/- on his team. The stats also show that he was the youngest ever player to win the Rocket Richard, and he had no Joe Thornton centering him that year, I believe he had Andrew Cassels.

Well, I hate to be the history teacher here, but he really didn’t have a good tournament. From the outside you could make the case he did, but when you look at it you see the real story. Playing along side a guy named Joe Thornton is what “made†Nash that year. Without him, don’t look for a repeat performance. Plus, it should be pointed out that Nash went goalless in the medal round, and was awful in the Gold Medal game. And we can’t forget to mention that the reality is, Nash should have been booted from the tournament when he abused the official. So no, Nash did not have a great tournament, and no he does not deserve the chance to prove himself again.

I also believe Joe Thornton went cold in the gold medal game, as did a number of other stars on the team, its fairly easy to beat a one line team if you have a good team defense, which the Czechs did.

You're also right that he doesn't deserve another chance. Clearly a 23 year old has already peaked and is incapable of learning anything more.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Well, he will, and was invited. But not because he deserved it. Because Team Canada doesn’t want to embarrass Wayne Gretzky.

Last year Gretzky passed over Patrick Marleau, Jonathan Cheechoo, Alex Tanguay. Jason Spezza, Eric Staal, Daniel Briere, Sidney Crosby, Paul Karyia, and Brendon Morrow, among others, to include a kid who not only was injured most of the year, but has glaring holes in his game. As it turns out, Nash was the worst forward on a team that finished 7th.

By not including Nash at the WC, it sends out a message that Gretzky made a mistake selecting him last year. I’m sure most people were hoping Columbus would make the playoffs, but since they again came nowhere close to getting in, the invite for Nash had to go out.

Yeah, because Canadian hockey fans are too daft to realize that a team expected to win gold but finishes 7th had mistakes in choosing players and personnel. And since the eyes of the country are fixed on the World Championships, losing face at a time like this would be downright awful.

But don’t feel bad, same thing happened at the All Star game. Since the league requires every team be represented, someone from the Jackets had to go. It should have been Vyborny, but it went to Nash because they can’t embarrass the Great One.

Since when does the NHL care about Canadian Olympic selections?

Canadians in general can't play on the big ice by the looks of things.

Get ready to see Canada not win the Gold then. 3 times Nash has played for a Canadian team that was suppose to win Gold, and 3 times they haven’t.

And I'm sure Nash finishing 2nd in tournament scoring in 05 is what killed the Canadian hopes. I bet the likes of Thornton, Gagne, Heatley, Smyth, Jovanovski etc. all said 'Well if Nash isn't going to score in the gold medal game, then neither am I.'

There is a reason the Jackets have not improved one bit since Nash’s arrival; he ain’t that good. And the facts prove it.

Like the fact that the BJs had 57 points in 01-02 (before Nash arrived) and 69, 62, 74 and 73 points in all the years since his arrival?

I'd expect more from a person who dislikes Nash with such passion.

Mike Lowrey

Apr 8, 2007
Well, last year would also indicate that Sakic, Iginla, Thornton, Gagne, Lecavelier, St. Louis, Smyth, Draper, Richards, Healtley, and Doan can't play on international ice. So if we're going by your theory, Canada is screwed with or without Nash.

First of all, Doan played quite well considering his role to start the tournament was as the 13th forward and his main duties were to play a checking/defensive role. And while the other guys weren’t spectacular, none of them were as bad as Nash was. And more then that, all have had careers, and past play, which spoke for themselves as to why they were selected for the team.

Having said that, Smyth and Draper should have been left at home with Nash. But questioning why the others were there is ridiculous.

However, since we know your theory is bung because we have seen him succeed on international ice, we can ignore that fact.

Really, when did he “succeed”?

He certainly didn’t in 2002 with Team Canada on the big ice in the Czech Republic. And of course, he was not only benched, but also demoted to the 13th forward role in 2006 in Italy on big ice.

But more then that, the ONE time you think you’ve seen him “succeed”, he didn’t. He had a decent round robin portion of the tourney, but did nothing when the medal round came around and the play got tougher.

And that is a FACT we can’t ignore.

Well, actually the facts show that last year, despite injury, he was on pace for a 50 goal season, and he also had the best +/- on his team. The stats also show that he was the youngest ever player to win the Rocket Richard, and he had no Joe Thornton centering him that year, I believe he had Andrew Cassels.

OK, this is where you Nash nuthuggers lose all credibility. You throw out random statistics to try and confuse people as to why someone is good or bad.

Stats lie. I’ll prove it to you. This year, Andrew Raycroft tied the franchise record for most wins in a season for the Leafs. That stat would suggest Raycroft must be a fantastic goaltender. But wait, despite having the highest amount of wins in a season for the Leafs, the team did not make the playoffs. So does that mean he is better then all of those who came before him? Hardly.

But not only do stats lie, so do you. You say that Nash was on pace to score 50 goals last year, but an injury prevented him. First of all, injuries are a part of the game. And staying healthy is key to being a dominant player in the sport.

However, lets look into this. In 2005-05, Nash scored 31 goals in 54 games. On that pace, without missing a single game (something Nash has never done), it would result in 47 goals. Sure, 3 short, but still not 50.

Now getting to the Trophy he shared with two other guys. So he finished tied with the highest amount of goals in the league, that’s wonderful. How many assists did he have? Where did he finish in the league for points? Since you brought it up, how was his +/-? Where did the Jackets finish in the standings?

This may fly with others, but it doesn’t with me. Nash won that trophy because the sole intent of the Jackets in the final weeks of the season was to get him that. He hung out at the red line, rarely if ever passed the puck to a teammate in the offensive zone. He never went into a corner to fight for a puck. He didn’t back check. He stood in front of the oppositions net and left his zone early to try and create chances for himself to score.

He had 41 goals, but only finished the year with 57 points. His +/- was absolutely awful. And his team was in the bottom 5 of the league.

Please, spare us the crap, leave the Rocket Trophy out of any discussions about Rick Nash.

I also believe Joe Thornton went cold in the gold medal game,

Hmm. A cold Joe Thornton equaled a cold Rick Nash. Say it ain’t so.

its fairly easy to beat a one line team if you have a good team defense, which the Czechs did.

Which is why Canada should bring team players, not individuals who only care about their own stats.

You're also right that he doesn't deserve another chance. Clearly a 23 year old has already peaked and is incapable of learning anything more.

No, he doesn’t deserve another chance until he elevates his game. Give others a chance who haven’t been a colossal failure or embarrassment to the Team

Since when does the NHL care about Canadian Olympic selections?

Never said the NHL cared about the Canadian Olympic team. I said they care about not embarrassing Wayne Gretzky.

Canadians in general can't play on the big ice by the looks of things.

Except for the 2002 Olympics, the countless World Championships, Spengler Cups, and World Junior Championships. But you’re right, by the look of things, Canada can’t play on the big ice.

And I'm sure Nash finishing 2nd in tournament scoring in 05 is what killed the Canadian hopes. I bet the likes of Thornton, Gagne, Heatley, Smyth, Jovanovski etc. all said 'Well if Nash isn't going to score in the gold medal game, then neither am I.'

Well the fact is, some suggest he had a very good tournament. And yet not only did Canada not win, which I should remind you, is the point of sending teams over there. But Nash was invisible in the games that meant the most.

If Nash scored 4 goals in the Goal Medal game, but Canada lost 5-4, then fine, celebrate his performance. But the fact remains, not only did Canada not win the Gold, Nash disappeared in the Medal round.

Like the fact that the BJs had 57 points in 01-02 (before Nash arrived) and 69, 62, 74 and 73 points in all the years since his arrival?

Further proof stats don’t tell the whole story. Let me explain to some of you.

The year Nash arrived (2002-03), the Jackets had 69 points. That put them third last in the NHL, and last in their conference. 23 points out of a playoff position.

Nash’s second year (2003-04), the year he won that Trophy you talk about, saw the Jackets dropped 7 points from the year before (but wait, Nash scored 41 goals, that must mean something). That put them the 4th worse team in the league, and second worse in their Conference. They were 29 points out of a playoff spot.

Coming out of the labour stoppage (2005-06), the Jackets earned their highest point total in franchise history with 74. But, it only managed to move them up one spot as they were the 5th worse team in the league, and thanks to their divisional cousins, 3rd in their conference. That year, they were 21 points out of a playoff spot.

This year, they had one less point then the year before. This did vault them up the Western standings to 11th. However, they were still 23 points out of a playoff spot.

So, Nash’s best offensive year was actually the same year the team was the furthest away from making the playoffs (kind of lends weight to the statement the team only cared about Nash scoring, not picking up W’s). With Nash, not only have the Jackets never made the Playoffs, they’ve haven’t come within 20 points of getting in.

This year the only other team not to make the playoffs in their history in the NHL, won their division (let’s be honest here, the Heatley/Snyder thing knocked them back a year or two). Another team that came into the league around the same time as Columbus finished this year 3rd overall in the league. The Wild finished the year with 104 points.

Yeah, looks to me the facts show Rick Nash has not made the Jackets any better. And if you look at the other teams that came into the league around the same time as Columbus, it shows that Nash has actually made his team worse.

I'd expect more from a person who dislikes Nash with such passion.

Waiting for you to respond to real stats and actual facts.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Nothing on the Hockey Canada site as of yet, although I'm not surprised with Staal and Ward. Both have a lot to gain with strong performances at the Worlds, and although the Olys are nearly three years away, they could virtually cement a place on the roster if they thrive in their first international appearance.

I think Ward is better off staying at home and resting after a frantic 12 months, but he'll be fine.

Williams would be a good two-way addition for Canada, and he's a very effective penalty killer.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
The reason the Jackets have not legitimately improved since Nash arrived? Management. Doug MacLean is a buffoon as a GM. They make a great pick in Gilbert Brule in 2005, and then proceed to bring him up too early, setting his development back. Brule could have spent the year dominating the WHL, playing for his hometown, and playing in the Memorial Cup. Instead, he gets to struggle in the NHL, play for a bad team, and show everyone he didn't belong.

Columbus has had a revolving door at coach, they have made poor free agent signings, and they have never found that true No. 1 goalie. Denis had a couple nice seasons, but was he that star No. 1 they needed? No.

Until Doug MacLean is turfed, the Blue Jackets will remain a bottom-tier team in the league.

Why did Nash have 17 assists in his Rocket Richard season in 2003-04? It might have something to do with the fact that he didn't have anyone to pass to.

You seem to have some nice conspiracy theories about Gretzky and Nash, too. I'm sure Gretzky really played a role in Nash making the all-star game. I'm not saying that Nash deserved to be Columbus' rep this year, but I think the league would rather have a former Rocket Richard winner there, instead of good, but relatively anonymous player.

There are a lot of reasons why Canada didn't win in the 2006 Olympics. Nash didn't thrive, but Canada needed Thornton, Iginla, Gagne, Heatley and Lecavalier to deliver. They did not. The defence couldn't get the puck to the forwards (as it turned out, we really missed Niedermayer and Jovanovski), the forwards that were expected to score didn't elevate their play, and with few exceptions, the forwards didn't effectively forecheck. Smyth, Draper and Doan were guys who actually effectively did their job. The team lacked leadership behind Sakic. (I think we knew that trouble was brewing in the locker room when Gagne was given an A). Compare that to the 2002 team that had Sakic, Lemieux, Yzerman, Shanahan (Shanahan should have at least been on the taxi squad, and even though Yzerman said no, you could tell we really missed his presence), Peca, Nieuwendyk and MacInnis. The 2006 team had good leaders, like Foote, Draper, Doan, Smyth and Iginla, but nothing like the leader-loaded 2002 team, which had several guys capable of carrying Canada on their back.

Last edited:

wildone26*

Isn't that digging a bit deep?

That is what I thought to which is why I was surprised. I dont know if this guy has some inside info or it is foolish speculation on his part.

I am not surprised though to read White may have been invited, and his overhyped teammate, career 6/7 D man Carlo Colaiacovo not. White is way above Colaiacovo on every depth chart, every single thing proves that, Maple Leaf fans are the only ones on the planet who dont realize that. This is further proof of that, yet another on a long list.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Isn't that digging a bit deep?
I think we have better options than those two. White played well for Canada at the 2003 WJC. He's a good puck-mover with a powerful shot, but if he's on our defence, we're in trouble. Stajan would make for a solid checking line forward, but I think there are still better options out there.

wildone26*

I think we have better options than those two. White played well for Canada at the 2003 WJC. He's a good puck-mover with a powerful shot, but if he's on our defence, we're in trouble. Stajan would make for a solid checking line forward, but I think there are still better options out there.

Zwolinski is one of the worst writers for the Toronto Star so it is probably BS anyway. I just thought it would post it just to give a heads up in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad