Speculation: Your starting 5 against "the idiots"?

Ossific

Aug 23, 2010
I agree with most people on this board.. start your first line and take an easy opportunity to start with a 1-0 lead. NOTHING would happen if Torts had started the first line. Torts got trolled and bought into it and agreed to fight. He could of avoided the situation like any other level-headed man. They are both guilty of being stupid.

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010
You know everyone has a buddy or something you NEVER want pee off. Bogo is one of those guys imo. When that switch is flicked- UGLY. As for the thread title- each coach shares the blame. By the rules- Heartley did not break any- so good on him but he did knowingly cross the "code" and put Torts in a bad spot. Torts- whom I see as nothing more (now) as a mouthpiece - his antics between periods was bizarre- almost Shoenfeld status. Simply stupid and will be dealt with as such.

I immediately thought of this clip.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
I agree with most people on this board.. start your first line and take an easy opportunity to start with a 1-0 lead. NOTHING would happen if Torts had started the first line. Torts got trolled and bought into it and agreed to fight. He could of avoided the situation like any other level-headed man. They are both guilty of being stupid.

Right like Carlyle did putting Kessel out against Scott.
Totally diffused the situation. :shakehead

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario

Who of our guys would back down though?

If they don't we've now lost our best players and Calgary has lost their worst. Remember all the guys involved got game misconducts. Huge advantage towards Calgary.

Do you really think guys like Ladd would just turtle? Looking up and down our roster I think maybe Scheifele and Little are the only guy who wouldn't actively drop them in that situation.

Edit: scratch Little. He dropped them in the Boston brawl. Fought Savard I believe which wasn't exactly a disadvantage to him.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay

If they don't we've now lost our best players and Calgary has lost their worst. Remember all the guys involved got game misconducts. Huge advantage towards Calgary.

Do you really think guys like Ladd would just turtle?

For an example of this not working, see Kessel v Scott.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
Lol, Nolan leads the Kings in fighting majors. But yeah he "always" turtles. :shakehead

Against the Canucks he does. When you cheap shot someone, stand up and fight like a man. We'll disagree here. So I'm saying that and that's it. I hate the Kings and don't get why you like the diving pieces of crap and you don't get why I like the pansy Canucks.:nod:

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
Tim "Dr. Hook" McCracken
Clarence "Screaming Buffalo" Swamptown
Ross "Mad dog" Maddison
Ogie Ogilthorpe
Andre "Poodle" Lussier

:yo:

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
Right like Carlyle did putting Kessel out against Scott.
Totally diffused the situation. :shakehead

For an example of this not working, see Kessel v Scott.

Really, you're going to compare that to the first faceoff of the game?

The way that went down was Tropp scored a goal. Then off the faceoff Tropp got in a fight with Devane and was knocked out cold. After the fight Scott was challenging the Leafs bench from his bench and had to be restrained by teammates and linesmen.

For the next faceoff Scott was put out there with the fourth line and Carlyle answered with his 1st line. Then the Kessel-Scott incident went down.

If is ridiculous to compare a situation that heated with the opening faceoff of the game.

Any coach that puts his 1st line out there in a situation like that is an idiot but the events leading up to that situation make it completely different than the opening faceoff of a game.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Really, you're going to compare that to the first faceoff of the game?

The way that went down was Tropp scored a goal. Then off the faceoff Tropp got in a fight with Devane and was knocked out cold. After the fight Scott was challenging the Leafs bench from his bench and had to be restrained by teammates and linesmen.

For the next faceoff Scott was put out there with the fourth line and Carlyle answered with his 1st line. Then the Kessel-Scott incident went down.

If is ridiculous to compare a situation that heated with the opening faceoff of the game.

Any coach that puts his 1st line out there in a situation like that is an idiot but the events leading up to that situation make it completely different than the opening faceoff of a game.

I'm 100% going to compare them.
I'm aware of the situation, though I appreciate your synopsis.
It enforces the point that if a fourth line is out there to fight (which Calgary's was, they had a winger taking the opening draw) it potentially doesn't matter who the other team puts out.

Would the Flames have jumped the Sedins? No one knows, but do I blame Torts for not wanting to find out? Not at all.

boanst

May 25, 2013
I tend to agree with this, although I think with the Jets it would be very different as our skill guys also tend to fight. I wouldn't want Kane, Ladd, Trouba or Buff out there because you know they won't back down. Particularly Kane, who may need to decide whether he wants to be a star on the ice or on the IR.

Thats how i see it too. I dont think we have too many guys that would actually duck a fight. I dont even think about the injury factor but i think about the possibility that several players may get the boot for the ENTIRE game.

No way in hell i want to run 3 lines that includes all the plugs but not our best players while the other team only loses their tough guys

boanst

May 25, 2013

Do you really think guys like Ladd would just turtle? Looking up and down our roster I think maybe Scheifele and Little are the only guy who wouldn't actively drop them in that situation.

Edit: scratch Little. He dropped them in the Boston brawl. Fought Savard I believe which wasn't exactly a disadvantage to him.

He also went after yak. No fighting major but the gloves were off

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I'd start my top line and top pair. They'll either get a goal quickly or you''ll be laughing with the amount of penalty minutes you''ll get.

Ossific

Aug 23, 2010

Oh I totally agree with you. We have a tough roster. I just meant in a hypothetical situation of any team.. take your first line and score the first goal off the stupid match up!

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Oh I totally agree with you. We have a tough roster. I just meant in a hypothetical situation of any team.. take your first line and score the first goal off the stupid match up!

If you watched it the gloves were dropped at the faceoff. The flames were not there to play hockey.

Matchup or not hockey was not going to get played for awhile.

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
Little would deffinetly fight if you get him going. Ive never seen him so mad as he did Vs Edmonton... Looked like he was going to kill someone.

If you Absolutly didn't want a fight, I'd send out guys like Joker-Scheifele-Setoguchi with Trouba and Enstrom, but would rather tell KSW that if they fight they are benched and burn them with there skill

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
NHL has to figure out what it wants to be when it grows up.......are you in or are you out on fighting because this halfway position is weird?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad