Your Spring 2018 Toronto Maple Leaf Prospect Rankings

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I get what you're saying but there was a good counter argument in this case which is that since we're locked into the playoffs anyway and since we will be underdogs in the 1st round with or without these pending UFA's, we could have traded them and still probably end up getting the same amount of PO experience.

Of course this would have needed to be done a while ago before we went on a tear but had we done this in January this would have made a ton of sense. And the other side of the coin is that we could actually win the cup so there is that. :)

I hope you're right but many people were saying the the same thing about JVR last summer. Not sure those situations are so drastically different that we can count on them not letting Gardiner reach UFA status with us when we just did the same thing with JVR.
We attempted to Trade JVR and the offeres were underwhelming hence he is still here. I never thought he had as much value as many on here think. Remember Blake who scored a lot of goals for us but was a one dementional player and he had a very low value. Same with JVR a lazy winger who is 6’3” who plays like a 5’10” winger who has been on for more goals against them for as a Leaf. Flyer moved away from him as his compete level is simply not there. Not a huge fan of his game.

Gardiner is a different circumstance as he is a good skating D man who can run a PP and is a dependable D man who is a top 4 D man. He will be moved or resigned this summer and I say it is about 50/50 at this time. Gardiner has good value in a trade.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Uh huh. Either way, the point is the same.

I'm wrote way too much about Dubas/Hunter but I'd prefer to keep Hunter as a scout since that's his strength. You lost that right away if he's a GM.
Hunter will not stay with Dubas as GM 100%. So we lose him if Dubas is made GM... I do not see Lou not coming back as GM for next season anyway.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Hunter will not stay with Dubas as GM 100%. So we lose him if Dubas is made GM... I do not see Lou not coming back as GM for next season anyway.

Dubas won't stay if Hunter is the GM. So you're losing one of them regardless.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Hunter doesnt want to be the GM.
Dubas is GM and Hunter will stay on for his current role.
That would be great if true. Who knows really how much decision making authority each of them have right now, but the collective Borg overall seems to work.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Hunter doesnt want to be the GM.
Dubas is GM and Hunter will stay on for his current role.
Hunter most Definitely wants to be the GM and will not stay on as head of scouting if he does not get to be GM. 100% certain of this as of last week.

I think either quit if they do not get the GM job after Lou but I am not sure about Dubas but I am about Hunter.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Hunter most Definitely wants to be the GM and will not stay on as head of scouting if he does not get to be GM. 100% certain of this as of last week.

I think either quit if they do not get the GM job after Lou but I am not sure about Dubas but I am about Hunter.
How do you know Hunter will leave if he is not made the GM? Did you read it somewhere, or is it a case of you have heard this from a very reliable source?

member 147413

I’d rather the Leafs head in Dubas direction than Hunter.

If Dubas as GM means Hunter is gone, I honestly couldn’t care less. He hasn’t been exceptional in his role.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
For me if it is a choice between Hunter and Dubas, I think I would go with Hunter. You look of the sustainability of the London Knights franchise under him and it is unbelievable. They produce twice as many NHLers as the next most successful CHL franchise.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
I’d rather the Leafs head in Dubas direction than Hunter.

If Dubas as GM means Hunter is gone, I honestly couldn’t care less. He hasn’t been exceptional in his role.

His first draft was 2015, and we have been the most successful franchise the last couple of years at pulling talent from Europe. I am not sure how you could really judge him negatively in his role.

Reactions: stickty111

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I doubt Dubas takes over this summer and maybe not at all beside Gardiner is far different then JVR who’s value is no where near what most think on the trade market or most forgot that we shopped him hard and never got much in the way of offerers.

I never heard about us shopping him at the TDL. All reports were that "JVR is NOT on the market". We did try and make a move in the summer but I think personally that Lou wanted too much and got left holding the bag. Once it came to the TDL he did not sell quick enough (if he even changed his mind at all from earlier reports). If he were put to market late that would explain why we would get reduced return and the same could be said about Bozak if her were on the market.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
1. Johnsson
2. Lily
3. Grundy
4.Holl
5. Borgman
6. Sparky

Johnsson is far and away the closest to NHL ready. Lily has most potential. Grund is 2nd mist ready forward wise. Holl overall game better than cyborg. No denying Sparks numbers are gold its a matter of if he can bring it to the NHL

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
On the GM front..not sure why ppl think Hunter over Kyle. He is the Marlies GM and that shows grooming for an NHL position. This past summer Toronto blocked Colorado from talking to him..I wonder why lol

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Hunter seems like a talent guy rather than a GM guy, so to take him away from his talent evaluation strengths might not actually be maximizing his value, even if that's a job he wants. Dubas seems to be being groomed in the GM position in the minors, but it's hard to say what his strengths and weaknesses are without a real track record.

If we lose one of them, we should go out and try and poach some of the Lightning's junior and European scouts.

member 147413

His first draft was 2015, and we have been the most successful franchise the last couple of years at pulling talent from Europe. I am not sure how you could really judge him negatively in his role.
I’m not judging him negatively. I said he has not been exceptional.

Marner wasn’t a tough pick by any means. Dermott was a solid selection.

The rest of the draft has been unspectacular.

I think it would be harder to replace Dubas then it would Hunter.

It’s just my opinion, I don’t think our drafting had been above average.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I’m not judging him negatively. I said he has not been exceptional.

Marner wasn’t a tough pick by any means. Dermott was a solid selection.

The rest of the draft has been unspectacular.

I think it would be harder to replace Dubas then it would Hunter.

It’s just my opinion, I don’t think our drafting had been above average.

I share the same sentiment as well. Things can change but it's not looking all that great at this time.

For all the praise he gets, most selections outside of the top 2 rounds haven't been all that impressive.

Reactions: FishManSam

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
On the GM front..not sure why ppl think Hunter over Kyle. He is the Marlies GM and that shows grooming for an NHL position. This past summer Toronto blocked Colorado from talking to him..I wonder why lol
Mark Hunter was the GM of the London Knights for over a decade. How is being the GM of the Marlies much different than that.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Not counting Dermott, Kapanen, Gauthier or Borgman due to NHL GP this year. Not counting Pickard or Holl either due to age and past NHL experience (in Pickard's case).

1. Liljegren
2. Grundstrom
3. Johnsson
4. Korshkov
5. Aaltonen
6. Bracco
7. Rasanen
8. Timashov
9. Engvall
10. Rosen
11. Nielsen
12. Greenway
13. Joshua
14. Brooks
15. Lindgren
16. Dzierkals
17. Gordeev
18. Moore
19. Middleton
20. Chebykin
21. Kara
22. Mattinen
23. McGregor
24. Bobylev
25. O'Connell

Goalies
1. Woll
2. Sparks
3. Scott

We need a high-end Draft and some solid Euro signings.

Last edited:

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I never heard about us shopping him at the TDL. All reports were that "JVR is NOT on the market". We did try and make a move in the summer but I think personally that Lou wanted too much and got left holding the bag. Once it came to the TDL he did not sell quick enough (if he even changed his mind at all from earlier reports). If he were put to market late that would explain why we would get reduced return and the same could be said about Bozak if her were on the market.
He was shopped hard all summer. No takers at a reasonable price so they kept him. Now they are keeping him through the playoffs and Likely make him a offer of a 3/4 year deal at around his current cap hit or he walks away and we get cap space.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->