Your Spring 2018 Toronto Maple Leaf Prospect Rankings

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
To answer your question about Gardiner.., he is resigned or traded by Oct of this year. He will not be allowed to walk away for nothing.

People said literally the same thing about JVR 2 years ago about JVR being traded this past off-season. "There's no way he walks for nothing"

Whoops.

With Dubas likely taking over this summer, maybe he won't let good assets walk for nothing.

Reactions: 613Leafer

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I think Korshkov should be slightly lower, around the 8 or 9 spot. Bracco and Aaltonen should then go higher.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
If we want sustainability over time, and to have quality impactful players on ELC coming as our line up evolves, we can't continually let guys walk.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Trading away these players for futures would have hurt our team far more then it helped as we need these players to allows us to be competitive in the playoffs as experience in the playoffs is a valuable developmental process for our young core.

I get what you're saying but there was a good counter argument in this case which is that since we're locked into the playoffs anyway and since we will be underdogs in the 1st round with or without these pending UFA's, we could have traded them and still probably end up getting the same amount of PO experience.

Of course this would have needed to be done a while ago before we went on a tear but had we done this in January this would have made a ton of sense. And the other side of the coin is that we could actually win the cup so there is that. :)

To answer your question about Gardiner.., he is resigned or traded by Oct of this year. He will not be allowed to walk away for nothing.

I hope you're right but many people were saying the the same thing about JVR last summer. Not sure those situations are so drastically different that we can count on them not letting Gardiner reach UFA status with us when we just did the same thing with JVR.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Lacking high end talent and depth now with all the graduates, and looking back at the 2013 and 2014 drafts, they weren't very good.

well, the 2013 draft was awful all around, so can't get too upset there.

But all those USHL picks in 2014 bugged me then, and bug me now. Just wasted picks.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT

But all those USHL picks in 2014 bugged me then, and bug me now. Just wasted picks.

Was that the first draft under Mark Hunter? Honestly not too thrilled with our drafting the last few years.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

I don't know who scouts the NCAA/USHL for us but they have been terrible for a long long time. I can't remember the last College player we picked that actually made some form of impact in the NHL. Frattin? Stalberg?

It's really bad and I would hope some form of change would happen there.

Last edited:

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

I think with dermott's play, this offseason is the perfect time to trade gardiner. They aren't similar players but Dermott brings more of what we need on our Dcore. Im also assuming that the trade would be for an area of need (maybe #4/5 RHD +) or for futures to put toward an area of need.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I think Korshkov should be slightly lower, around the 8 or 9 spot. Bracco and Aaltonen should then go higher.

The KHL is the 2nd best league in the world and he is coring in it better than Bracco is here. By all accounts he plays an NHL style game of being physical and hard nose for the net. You cant discount him because you don't see him. Bracco is and has always been far too overrated around here.

obviously it shouldn't matter for rankings but Korshkov brings an element we are sorely lacking, being 6'5" with hands is going to be very important for us

Once

Jul 16, 2010

Korshkov stats read pretty well for the K. He will be a much needed skillset for the Leafs when he comes over

Welsh Maple Leaf

Jan 9, 2017
I don't know who scouts the NCAA/USHL for us but they have been terrible for a long long time. I can't remember the last College player we picked that actually made some form of impact in the NHL. Frattin? Stalberg?

It's really bad and I would hope some form of change would happen there.
Wasn't Hyman out of Michigan?

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Korshkov stats read pretty well for the K. He will be a much needed skillset for the Leafs when he comes over

I.m not trying to discredit Korshkov, I think he will be great. The transition is tough from Europe to North America and I think after he comes over and gets settled he will go up on my list. Bracco and co, have the luxury of being brought up in the North American game which tends to be smoother for development.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
The KHL is the 2nd best league in the world and he is coring in it better than Bracco is here. By all accounts he plays an NHL style game of being physical and hard nose for the net. You cant discount him because you don't see him. Bracco is and has always been far too overrated around here.

obviously it shouldn't matter for rankings but Korshkov brings an element we are sorely lacking, being 6'5" with hands is going to be very important for us
Bracco hasnt been overrated. He is progressing well and has been very good in the AHL despite not getting a lot of minutes.
Korshkov is a solid prospect too though.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
People said literally the same thing about JVR 2 years ago about JVR being traded this past off-season. "There's no way he walks for nothing"

Whoops.

With Dubas likely taking over this summer, maybe he won't let good assets walk for nothing.
I doubt Dubas takes over this summer and maybe not at all beside Gardiner is far different then JVR who’s value is no where near what most think on the trade market or most forgot that we shopped him hard and never got much in the way of offerers.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I doubt Dubas takes over this summer and maybe not at all beside Gardiner is far different then JVR who’s value is no where near what most think on the trade market or most forgot that we shopped him hard and never got much in the way of offerers.

Maybe Gardiner has more value but JVR had really good value either way. The point was that everyone, probably including you and me, said that JVR was never going to walk for nothing. And yet here we hard.

Dubas is the likely and logical successor. We'll see what happens.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Maybe Gardiner has more value but JVR had really good value either way. The point was that everyone, probably including you and me, said that JVR was never going to walk for nothing. And yet here we hard.

Dubas is the likely and logical successor. We'll see what happens.
I never gave it much thought to tell you the true. I have never been much of s fan of his game as he is a lazy winger who is on the ice for more goals against then he is for.

As for Dubas... I do not see him as the replacement as I see it as Hunter. If it is Dubas say good bye to Hunter as he will not stay under Dubas. I prefer Hunter as he is part of the old boys club and Dubas is not.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I never gave it much thought to tell you the true. I have never been much of s fan of his game as he is a lazy winger who is on the ice for more goals against then he is for.

As for Dubas... I do not see him as the replacement as I see it as Hunter. If it is Dubas say good bye to Hunter as he will not stay under Dubas. I prefer Hunter as he is part of the old boys club and Dubas is not.

Uh huh. Either way, the point is the same.

I'm wrote way too much about Dubas/Hunter but I'd prefer to keep Hunter as a scout since that's his strength. You lost that right away if he's a GM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad