Your reaction if Detroit were to miss the playoffs and land the #1 overall pick....

redwingsphan

Apr 25, 2014
If you told me We make the playoffs for the next 5 years... Or miss for the next 3... but we get McDavid. Worth it.

He is going to be that good, and as a detroit fan... I have never SEEN a high pick for us... let alone a Gretzky/Crosby type. It would be insane. And I think he would make the NHL 1st year.

But would they start him in the AHL? I wonder how detroit would actually handle someone that good. Like 20-25 games in the AHL before coming to Detroit. I honestly can't even imagine us doing that. Depends how heavy he is. If he needs to put on weight. Ironically it might be safer to let him mature 1 more year, than to break some of his bones... but who knows.

It's nhl, or junior for mcdavid. The problem is that only one team is guaranteed a top 2 pick. Next year will be interesting when the top three picks can go to any non-playoff team.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Only problem I have with acquiring Phaneuf is the cost Holland is willing to pay.

His recent track record isn't good "value" wise.

It seems like other GM's can talk him into his players being less than what they're worth.

Or you overvalue them...

If your talking about the Cole trade.. None of them would have made the roster quickly

Jarnkrok for Legwand? Jarnkrok MIGHT have made in in 2 or 3 years..He wasnt playing that good in GR.. like 40 points in 80 games.

Any other players I dont really no about.... He traded Puempel for Ouellet in the draft a couple years ago (just picks, not the actual players)... Id say Ouellet is far better then Puempel.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Or you overvalue them...

If your talking about the Cole trade.. None of them would have made the roster quickly

Jarnkrok for Legwand? Jarnkrok MIGHT have made in in 2 or 3 years..He wasnt playing that good in GR.. like 40 points in 80 games.

Any other players I dont really no about.... He traded Puempel for Ouellet in the draft a couple years ago (just picks, not the actual players)... Id say Ouellet is far better then Puempel.

total stats are pretty misleading in that case,it was his first season in north america and he got off to a slow start then was over a point per game for his last like 20 games

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
total stats are pretty misleading in that case,it was his first season in north america and he got off to a slow start then was over a point per game for his last like 20 games

was he? I dont pay much attention to GR that much. If he was amazing in his last 20 games for the Griffs.. that just makes the trade look worse

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013
was he? I dont pay much attention to GR that much. If he was amazing in his last 20 games for the Griffs.. that just makes the trade look worse

Yeah jarnkrok really stepped up his game towards the second half of that season averaging a point per game. If Im not mistaken he had taken control of the first line center role. But yeah that trade was terrible. I still don't think he would have cracked the roster for anything but any injury here or there until next year at best.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
This is the best the Wings prospect pool has been since the early 90's, you know when they kicked this whole thing off.

The young guy's coming through have helped put them in the playoffs the last two years, not been hanger-on type players. Not everything is stellar, but this isn't the slow decline into mediocrity. It is a reverse bell-curve in my opinion and we are trending back up.

Its going to take some franchise level talent to contend though, I am certainly not saying the pool is devoid of talent just nothing prooven that is going to put wings in contention. The major concern is continue picking late first round project players and trading away all our second and third rounders for 15 games of so _insert mediocre veteran rental here_ and all that does is float this team to possible playoffs and a first round exit season after season. Something has to break that trend and stock some franchise talent or this team is in real trouble when Z and D are completely done.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
This is the best the Wings prospect pool has been since the early 90's, you know when they kicked this whole thing off.

The young guy's coming through have helped put them in the playoffs the last two years, not been hanger-on type players. Not everything is stellar, but this isn't the slow decline into mediocrity. It is a reverse bell-curve in my opinion and we are trending back up.

There is a distinct difference between the forward and defense prospect groups though. There is no Mantha or Larkin level prospects defensively, and that is what we desperately need. We also don't have anyone on the blue line doing what Nyquist and Tatar are doing up front either.

If this re-tool is going to work we need a lot more than what we have on the back end in our pipeline and NHL club right now. Or it's not going to pan out the way you are saying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->