Your reaction if Detroit were to miss the playoffs and land the #1 overall pick....

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
I know we are playing hypotheticals here but Buffalo would never accept that trade. Maybe if Eichel wasn't a franchise level prospect himself, but if that were the case why would we trade down?

What I mean is Eichel is a very, very solid consolation prize for not getting McDavid, and Buffalo has no incentive to give up that large of a package when they are still getting a player of Eichel's calibre. It could work if you took out either Risto or the Islanders 1st.

Hehe, yeah i wasn't being realistic i know. But i'd expect a risto and 2nd atleast plus some more

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013
Agree, I think you could get a lot out of whoever is the odd man out at #3 though.

If ARI was #3 I wonder if you could get OEL+ for the first overall????

Oh I'm sure you could; OEL is superb but I think it would be a dangerous game to trade out of the top 2. Eichel and McDavid have been touted as surefire stars, we could draft a defenseman like Hanifin at #3, but then why would we want OEL? Defensive depth is great but you're missing out on your new #1 C for years, and every rime Mcdavid or eichel score on you it would be a remibder that you done goofed.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
Eichel, Bjugstad, Larkin, Galchenyuk... If the Olympics does continue to involve NHL players and I am not sure about 2018 but China in 2022 seems to be putting a priority on actually paying the NHL for access in early accounts should they win. The USA will roll into a tournament finally with centers that can win on that level for the first time since the Golden 90's guys. The one weakness in the system seems to have the guys coming to fill it.

+ Auston Matthews

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Was big on Galchenyuk over Yak, though to be honest Murray and Ekblad are the highest I have been on a D-man in the last bunch of years. Murray just cannot stay healthy but I thought he was #1 with Gally at #2.

Taylor Hall is a beast but the questions about his borderline stupid approach to the game have certainly come out at times. There is a reason players don't play the game the way Hall does, it leads to injuries. I still think he is more talented than Seguin, but he puts himself in far too many dangerous areas.

I have said several times I think Eichel finishes as the best American born player. I believe that heavily in him. Really we already have a lot to be thankful for, he is the biggest reason Larkin was still around for us in my opinion.

Eichel reminds me of a better version of Modano. That is incredibly high praise. He has the size, hands and speed of an unstoppable force. I also think he shows an above average two way game that will get better with time. I think a lot of this debate will come down to who gets put around those guys. I don't see the massive difference between them and I prefer the physical assets that Eichel has.

This is Crosby and Ovie in terms of hype meeting the players though, but both guys play center so maybe better would be Crosby and Malkin. For all the talk that Crosby is the best player in the game and I agree with it, I take a healthy Malkin everyday. I don't feel differently about this. Obviously you are happy to have either, there are just parts of Jack Eichel's game I like more and I would prefer to land him. No GM though is going to seriously contemplate it because of how good McDavid is and I fully understand that.

Eichel, Bjugstad, Larkin, Galchenyuk... If the Olympics does continue to involve NHL players and I am not sure about 2018 but China in 2022 seems to be putting a priority on actually paying the NHL for access in early accounts should they win. The USA will roll into a tournament finally with centers that can win on that level for the first time since the Golden 90's guys. The one weakness in the system seems to have the guys coming to fill it.

Right when I say I think McDavid will he better than Eichel, understand I still think Eichel will be really, really good. McDavid is the only guy I think has a shot of being as good as Crosby, since Crosby. But could see Eichel being like Modano, I do like that comparison too.

I hope you're right about team USA man, I always buy in really hard and then get disappointed :(

dtones520

Jun 10, 2008
Midland, MI
If we win i hope we trade with Buffalo: 1st overall for 2nd overall + risto + islanders 1st (we pick jeremy Roy)+ mcCabe

Aaand defense is solved, eichel and larkin tear up the league years to come

Why would Buffalo trade away assets to move up one spot for a guy who is, likely, just as good as McDavid?

Wayne Crosby

Jan 28, 2013
Why would Buffalo trade away assets to move up one spot for a guy who is, likely, just as good as McDavid?

Because he isn't as good as McDavid. That should be really obvious. Tim Murray and the rest of the Sabres scouting staff are willing to trade away significant assets plus the 2nd overall pick for him, and they know more about those two players than anybody, believe me. Don't fall for the media hype of "McDavid vs. Eichel", because there is no competetition. McDavid is going first overall no matter what, and there is no scout, general manager, analyst, dog, cat or ****poster on the internet who actually thinks otherwise (I hope). As good as Eichel is, there's still quite a large gap. That isn't a knock on Eichel. Honestly, seeing what the Sabres management are willing to do just to move up one spot to pick him should probably get you thinking that teams would move mountains for him for a reason. And I hope you don't think you know better than the Buffalo scouting staff and Tim Murray.

Ennui

I like our team?
Aug 13, 2008
Living in the past
www.fsb.ru
If we win i hope we trade with Buffalo: 1st overall for 2nd overall + risto + islanders 1st (we pick jeremy Roy)+ mcCabe

Aaand defense is solved, eichel and larkin tear up the league years to come

In such an unlikely outcome, I would love to try and acquire Ekblad and Florida's 1st rd. pick, which we could then use to draft Roy, in exchange for the 1st overall pick. That would cement our first pairing on Defense for more than a decade, and we'd have a 1st pairing that could finally handle the defensive aspect of the game.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
OP sounds like the kind of person who spends a lot of money on lottery tickets :laugh:

I ran the NHL draft sim once and got FLA (3% chance) today so there is that

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
In such an unlikely outcome, I would love to try and acquire Ekblad and Florida's 1st rd. pick, which we could then use to draft Roy, in exchange for the 1st overall pick. That would cement our first pairing on Defense for more than a decade, and we'd have a 1st pairing that could finally handle the defensive aspect of the game.

IF we missed the playoffs and IF we won the lottery, there is no way that I'd want to do anything but take Connor McDavid. I think people are getting out of hand with the hype surrounding him, but there is a reason people are so hyped about that kid.

You don't get cute when you've got a chance at someone who has "best player in hockey" as any kind of reasonable potential.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Not to be a huge buzz killer or anything, but didn't people have similar feelings about Daigle back in 1992 or 1993?

They did.

They also didn't have the sheer volume of information, video tape, and access to young players like they do now.

Avery Rule

Jun 1, 2010
OP sounds like the kind of person who spends a lot of money on lottery tickets :laugh:

I ran the NHL draft sim once and got FLA (3% chance) today so there is that

Just wishful thinking :p was a little shocked how many people would be willing to move the 1st if we somehow got it.

Ennui

I like our team?
Aug 13, 2008
Living in the past
www.fsb.ru
IF we missed the playoffs and IF we won the lottery, there is no way that I'd want to do anything but take Connor McDavid. I think people are getting out of hand with the hype surrounding him, but there is a reason people are so hyped about that kid.

You don't get cute when you've got a chance at someone who has "best player in hockey" as any kind of reasonable potential.

In support of drafting Connor McDavid, a future 1st line/2nd line combination of Tatar-Sheahan-Nyquist and Larkin-McDavid-Mantha would be absolutely devastating for any team we'd face. I would point out, however, that the best years in this club's history were marked by a defensive lineup with at least one 1st pairing D; I'd very much like to return to that formula, but the cap wall impedes Ilitch's pizza money from the power it once held.

Last edited:

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Right now I'd rather see them miss out and, via an act of God, win the NHL draft lottery. Let's face it, we're mostly cheering to keep the playoff streak alive at this point. This team isn't winning the Cup.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Just can't stop thinking about if Detroit happens to miss the playoffs, and they end up with a 1 or 2% chance at winning the draft lottery... I am not sure what I would do...

Teams like Edmonton, Buffalo, Carolina would be pissed if Detroit failed to make the playoffs and wound up getting the first overall.

Last edited:

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
Just wishful thinking :p was a little shocked how many people would be willing to move the 1st if we somehow got it.

Didn't read through the thread, people would trade the McD pick? Absolute insanity, if we somehow won the lotto we would take it and run faster than OJ on the freeway

I am guessing ppl want to trade the pick. After the lotto of course

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Not that Eichel isnt an amazing prospect, but I cant believe theres a few saying they think he'll be better than McDavid. I will eat a hat if that happens, McDavid is on another level from the prospects we've seen in about a decade.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
If you could choose between winning the cup this year or having the first overall pick, which would you take? (Assuming that we stay at about this level for the next 5 years, not true contenders but still wildcard if we win).

Ennui

I like our team?
Aug 13, 2008
Living in the past
www.fsb.ru
If you could choose between winning the cup this year or having the first overall pick, which would you take? (Assuming that we stay at about this level for the next 5 years, not true contenders but still wildcard if we win).

I'd take the 1st overall and win several Cups. Totes magotes. A successful cup run comes down to endurance, a percentage chance based off of the quality of your players and coaching, and a whole lot of luck, and I'd rather increase our chances significantly over several years than have a cup and remain an average team with low chances of a successful cup run.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad