Your reaction if Detroit were to miss the playoffs and land the #1 overall pick....

Avery Rule

Jun 1, 2010
Just can't stop thinking about if Detroit happens to miss the playoffs, and they end up with a 1 or 2% chance at winning the draft lottery... I am not sure what I would do...

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
The real question is how long it takes for the conspiracy theories about draft fixing to start flying.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Mother of God.

McDavid at #1C and Larkin at #2 handling the heavy defensive assignments? Marone.

Ennui

I like our team?
Aug 13, 2008
Living in the past
www.fsb.ru
The area formerly known as Toronto would cease to exist. Roving bands of street gangs and marauders would form their new society.

Also, continuing the proud tradition of fast-food themed nicknames for NHL players, McDavid should then immediately be dubbed "Mayor McCheese" of Detroit.

Last edited:

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
I was going to post that clip from The Simpsons where Magic Johnson "pulls a homer", but I can't find it.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
My thoughts, I think Eichel is going to be better than McDavid, my two cents. Would obviously be thrilled with either guy.

Also I would call Florida and see if they would consider moving Ekblad+ for it.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
My thoughts, I think Eichel is going to be better than McDavid, my two cents. Would obviously be thrilled with either guy.

Also I would call Florida and see if they would consider moving Ekblad+ for it.

I often like the 2, 3, 4, 5 guy over the consensus #1 (Galchenyuk over Yakupov, Seguin over Hall) but I have little doubt McDavid will be a legitimate superstar, and better than Eichel.

To answer the OP's question, I would be ecstatic. The way the team is playing right now, I wouldn't cry about missing it. If the consolation prize is Connor McDavid it's well worth it.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
If we win i hope we trade with Buffalo: 1st overall for 2nd overall + risto + islanders 1st (we pick jeremy Roy)+ mcCabe

Aaand defense is solved, eichel and larkin tear up the league years to come

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
lol

I'd say everything everyone mentioned will happen. WW3 will ensue and the civilization as we know it will end

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I often like the 2, 3, 4, 5 guy over the consensus #1 (Galchenyuk over Yakupov, Seguin over Hall) but I have little doubt McDavid will be a legitimate superstar, and better than Eichel.

To answer the OP's question, I would be ecstatic. The way the team is playing right now, I wouldn't cry about missing it. If the consolation prize is Connor McDavid it's well worth it.

Was big on Galchenyuk over Yak, though to be honest Murray and Ekblad are the highest I have been on a D-man in the last bunch of years. Murray just cannot stay healthy but I thought he was #1 with Gally at #2.

Taylor Hall is a beast but the questions about his borderline stupid approach to the game have certainly come out at times. There is a reason players don't play the game the way Hall does, it leads to injuries. I still think he is more talented than Seguin, but he puts himself in far too many dangerous areas.

I have said several times I think Eichel finishes as the best American born player. I believe that heavily in him. Really we already have a lot to be thankful for, he is the biggest reason Larkin was still around for us in my opinion.

Eichel reminds me of a better version of Modano. That is incredibly high praise. He has the size, hands and speed of an unstoppable force. I also think he shows an above average two way game that will get better with time. I think a lot of this debate will come down to who gets put around those guys. I don't see the massive difference between them and I prefer the physical assets that Eichel has.

This is Crosby and Ovie in terms of hype meeting the players though, but both guys play center so maybe better would be Crosby and Malkin. For all the talk that Crosby is the best player in the game and I agree with it, I take a healthy Malkin everyday. I don't feel differently about this. Obviously you are happy to have either, there are just parts of Jack Eichel's game I like more and I would prefer to land him. No GM though is going to seriously contemplate it because of how good McDavid is and I fully understand that.

Eichel, Bjugstad, Larkin, Galchenyuk... If the Olympics does continue to involve NHL players and I am not sure about 2018 but China in 2022 seems to be putting a priority on actually paying the NHL for access in early accounts should they win. The USA will roll into a tournament finally with centers that can win on that level for the first time since the Golden 90's guys. The one weakness in the system seems to have the guys coming to fill it.

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013
If we win i hope we trade with Buffalo: 1st overall for 2nd overall + risto + islanders 1st (we pick jeremy Roy)+ mcCabe

Aaand defense is solved, eichel and larkin tear up the league years to come

I know we are playing hypotheticals here but Buffalo would never accept that trade. Maybe if Eichel wasn't a franchise level prospect himself, but if that were the case why would we trade down?

What I mean is Eichel is a very, very solid consolation prize for not getting McDavid, and Buffalo has no incentive to give up that large of a package when they are still getting a player of Eichel's calibre. It could work if you took out either Risto or the Islanders 1st.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
McDavid reminds of a Stamkos and Tavares level player

Eichel reminds me of Hall level player

McDavid looks to me like a franchise defining level player

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I know we are playing hypotheticals here but Buffalo would never accept that trade. Maybe if Eichel wasn't a franchise level prospect himself, but if that were the case why would we trade down?

What I mean is Eichel is a very, very solid consolation prize for not getting McDavid, and Buffalo has no incentive to give up that large of a package when they are still getting a player of Eichel's calibre. It could work if you took out either Risto or the Islanders 1st.

Agree, I think you could get a lot out of whoever is the odd man out at #3 though.

If ARI was #3 I wonder if you could get OEL+ for the first overall????

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->