Miller-Emmerton-Eaves/Tootoo

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Abdelkader/ Bertuzzi
Franzen - Weiss - Alfredsson
Nyquist - Helm (if healthy)/ Andersson - Tatar
Miller/ Abdelkader/ Bertuzzi - Andersson/ Emmerton - Tootoo
ex. Eaves

waived/ traded/ sent down/ go away: Samuelsson, Cleary, whoever else I am forgetting

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
ex. Eaves

waived/ traded/ sent down/ go away: Samuelsson, Cleary, whoever else I am forgetting

I'll second this. I especially like it if Bert is healthy and can keep up with the Euro twins. His hands are ten times that of Abby.

RedWingsNow*

ex. Eaves

Good lines except this: Wouldn't use Helm with Nyquist and Tatar, healthy or not.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Good lines except this: Wouldn't use Helm with Nyquist and Tatar, healthy or not.

I disagree. The first thought in mind while getting to extensively watch Tatar last season was "this kid was be a handful for other teams to handle alongside Helm."

Helm's speed, forechecking, and disruptiveness would be a huge compliment to Nyquist and Tatar's speed and skill.

I know we've had this argument before and I know that your unlikely to change your stance. But I'm of the belief that you underrate Helm's playmaking ability. I specifically compared it to Andersson (both in their NHL stats and their AHL stats) and everything indicated that Helm was more effective. I've also brought up Helm's effectiveness in the past at finding Eaves in the slot that resulted in goals.

Aug 6, 2012
Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Abdelkader
Miller - Helm - Tootoo
Nyquist - Andersson - Tatar
Emmerton
*Ferraro, Sheahan, Jurco first call-ups

Kronwall - Ericsson
Smith - DeKeyser
Quincey - Kindl
Lashoff
*Ouellet, Almqvist, Sproul first call-ups

Howard
Gustavsson

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I disagree. The first thought in mind while getting to extensively watch Tatar last season was "this kid was be a handful for other teams to handle alongside Helm."

Helm's speed, forechecking, and disruptiveness would be a huge compliment to Nyquist and Tatar's speed and skill.

I know we've had this argument before and I know that your unlikely to change your stance. But I'm of the belief that you underrate Helm's playmaking ability. I specifically compared it to Andersson (both in their NHL stats and their AHL stats) and everything indicated that Helm was more effective. I've also brought up Helm's effectiveness in the past at finding Eaves in the slot that resulted in goals.

I have always seen his ability to forecheck, and maybe it's just because he's been out so long, but I don't remember him being any kind of playmaker. I'm not tied to the idea of using Andersson or Helm though. Try em both out for a stretch, see which is better.

Of course, that all depends on whether or not Nyquist makes it out of GR.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I have always seen his ability to forecheck, and maybe it's just because he's been out so long, but I don't remember him being any kind of playmaker.

I don't think he is much of a playmaker. But his speed and tenacity on the puck creates a lot of chances, which can make plays happen for people around him. He's always pushing to get the puck near the net and if you have a teammate that can keep up with him, you're looking at a lot of rebound chances or tap ins.

How many times have we seen Helm scream to the net and throw it into the goalie's pad to have the defense casually scoop up the puck and start moving out of the zone?

RedWingsNow*

I have always seen his ability to forecheck, and maybe it's just because he's been out so long, but I don't remember him being any kind of playmaker. I'm not tied to the idea of using Andersson or Helm though. Try em both out for a stretch, see which is better.

Of course, that all depends on whether or not Nyquist makes it out of GR.

Helm isn't a playmaker. He should not be a center on a line with puck possession wingers.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
How many times have we seen Helm scream to the net and throw it into the goalie's pad to have the defense casually scoop up the puck and start moving out of the zone?

Ah yes, the Kris Draper special.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Helm isn't a playmaker. He should not be a center on a line with puck possession wingers.

In past arguments you have suggested that Andersson is a better fit because he's a better pkaymaker. Yet Helm has had a higher assist pace both at the AHL and NHL levels, despite playing with grinding type wingers. Andersson meanwhile has spent a significant amount of time with Nyquist and/or Tatar.

With all of that being said, I'm all for having Andersson center Nyquis/Tatar and Helm centering Miller/Whoever. I think Andersson's experience with them with the addition of Helm's speed making whoever his wingers are more effective is a good combo for a balanced bottom 6. The big thing now is obviously having Helm healthy. I still think people underrate just how much better he can make this team. He's an impact bottom 6 forward.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Abdelkader
Franzen-Weiss-Alfredsson
Tatar-Andersson-Nyquist
Cleary-Sheahan-Tootoo
Bertuzzi
Samuelsson

Kronwall-Ericsson
DeKeyser-Kindl
Quincey-Smith
Lashoff

LTIR- Helm

Waive- Miller, Eaves, Emmerton

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007

I agree. In a perfect world Nyquist is a little bit bigger, stronger, faster and can be an effective C, while Tatar and Helm are manning the wings. I just can't justify giving Helm less than 3rd line minutes at this point, (if he is 100% healthy.)

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Pretty sure I once read an Arthur C Clarke novel about some alien creature called Healthy Helm

:laugh:

IKkjSRO.jpg

How true.

Macoun

Feb 8, 2009
This is probably what I'd do with this crappy set of forwards lol

Abdelkader-Datsyuk-Alfredsson

Franzen-Zetterberg-Nyquist

Cleary-Weiss-Samuelsson/Bertuzzi(I don't know they both stink)

Miller-Andersson-Eaves/Tatar

Helm will most likely start season on IR. Tootoo is as good as gone. Emmerton shouldn't be top 12 forward just because he's a center.. Hence the reason I put Weiss as third line center until he gets comfortable.

Eaves and Tootoo seem like sure bets to be traded or waived. Sad because I love eaves as a 4th liner but he is a FA after the year ad doesn't seem to fit the teams plans going forward. IMO tootoo is pointless. Sorry but his stage fights and average forechecking abilities don't do it for me. 1.9 million for a 4th liner who can't kill penatlies is ridiculous.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
This is probably what I'd do with this crappy set of forwards lol

Abdelkader-Datsyuk-Alfredsson

Franzen-Zetterberg-Nyquist

Cleary-Weiss-Samuelsson/Bertuzzi(I don't know they both stink)

Miller-Andersson-Eaves/Tatar

Helm will most likely start season on IR. Tootoo is as good as gone. Emmerton shouldn't be top 12 forward just because he's a center.. Hence the reason I put Weiss as third line center until he gets comfortable.

Eaves and Tootoo seem like sure bets to be traded or waived. Sad because I love eaves as a 4th liner but he is a FA after the year ad doesn't seem to fit the teams plans going forward. IMO tootoo is pointless. Sorry but his stage fights and average forechecking abilities don't do it for me. 1.9 million for a 4th liner who can't kill penatlies is ridiculous.

Instead of putting Z as 2nd line center, why not just bring Sheahan up to be 4th line center until Helm gets back and waive Emmerton? Sheahan is a very solid two-way player. He has much more offensive upside than Emmerton and he's also bigger and more physical. Brings some thump to the 4th line.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
I envision making it out of GR to be similar to this scene from the latest Batman movie...

A task so insurmountable, that only one person has ever accomplished it in the history of forever:

Nik Kronwall
Jonathan Ericsson
Jiri Hudler
Jimmy Howard
Valtteri Filppula
Justin Abdelkader
Darren Helm
Joakim Andersson
Tomas Tatar
Brian Lashoff
Brendan Smith

Oh, wait a minute, maybe it ain't that insurmountable after all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->