Your predictions, how does the second half play out?

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
I think they'll stay playing well enough to definitely get in. I wouldn't go much further than that, but I think we're getting in and the way the stupid points system goes we might find ourselves in like 4th place purely by accident.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
I don't know how its gonna go but if I were in charge there would be two goals...

2nd place in the Metro
Gain ground on the Caps

MrWilson*

Depends on a few things.

If they can get a capable LW, and a top 4 dman, they can go far.

If not, it's a first/second round loss.

Need a LW for sid.

They don't need a LW for Sid and they won't be trading for one this season. Even if they do, Kunitz won't be moved--from the team or Sid's line--until its over this year. :popcorn:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I say 3rd in Metro. We have a ton of games against Metro teams in March. For some reason, I think we will do well against Islanders, but struggle against NYR.

We play the Rangers in the 1st round and lose in 7.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
They don't need a LW for Sid and they won't be trading for one this season. Even if they do, Kunitz won't be moved--from the team or Sid's line--until its over this year. :popcorn:

I never said for Crosby, but of course you'd bring up Kunitz :laugh:

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
I expect they'll continue to improve slowly over the rest of the season. Make the playoffs in the 4-7 range. Lose in the 1st round.

I also expect them to make deals that will again sell off picks/prospects for questionable assets in return.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Why does everyone keep saying the Pens are gonna lose in the first round?

Unless they play the Capitals, they have a good chance of beating any other team in the first round.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
Its still 50-50 that they make the playoffs. It depends what they do now and at the TDL. Hopefully, they stand pat and get rid of Kunitz, LJ or Cole for futures. Can you imagine the pens getting instead of giving futures in a trade. I can dream, can't I.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

Unless they play the Capitals, they have a good chance of beating any other team in the first round.
I totally agree with this with the one big qualifier…if healthy. If they go into the playoffs with guys like Porter, Kuhnhackl, and Sheary playing big roles, then they would be in trouble against NYR, NYI, DET, FLA, TB, etc. Or on defense if they have Cole AND Lovejoy in the top 6, it might get ugly.

Regardless, it should be more entertaining than if Johnston was still HC. I just hope they get through the TD without giving up future assets for old guys or rentals. I’ll take whatever result comes as long as that happens. Based on the backlash from the Despres trade and JR’s comments regarding it, I’m cautiously optimistic that will happen.

Hossa die Waldfee

Oct 29, 2015

I think it's still the effect of MJ's Pittsburgh "Death Valey of Hockey" Penguins :laugh:

But the east seems to be wide open. The caps look like a tier above everyone but after them? Feels like every team in the east struggled at least for a month or more.
I think it's not crazy out of world to say that we might be the second best team in the east at seasons end.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Because recent history has left us with low expectations. We've struggled against the Rangers lately. Maybe that changes this year, maybe not. Do you have a lot of confidence in this team beating the Rangers or Isles in a round 1 matchup?

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Because recent history has left us with low expectations. We've struggled against the Rangers lately. Maybe that changes this year, maybe not. Do you have a lot of confidence in this team beating the Rangers or Isles in a round 1 matchup?

Yeah we definitely could. Both teams aren't that good this season.

Before we didn't have the speed to match the Rangers, this season we do. We can definitely exploit their defense which is weaker this year because they're relying a lot on Staal and Girardi (for whatever reason).

Islanders would be a tougher matchup because they have good scoring throughout the lineup.

tinkezione

Butcher's Dog
Jul 22, 2013
Nicosia, Cyprus
Pens will only continue improving on what's already started and finish 2nd in the Metro. Malkin will end up near 80 points, Crosby will end up between 70-75 points, and we will fall to Caps in the CF in 6. It's going to be an interesting season, after all.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
I honestly feel the Penguins have a strong second half. Things are finally falling into place. I think the Hagelin deal is going to have a big impact. Kessel is looking more comfortably by the day, and will have another speedy forward to work off. Crosby is back to being Crosby. Malkin is having his most consistent season in recent memory.

Feeling optimistic.

Sort of "peaking at the right time" could spell out more success in the playoffs too. But lets not get too ahead of ourselves here, a playoff spot is required first and foremost.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
For the Penguins to have success, it's imperative that Lovejoy doesn't get top 4 minutes. He simply kills them too much when he plays in a top 4 role.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I think that most of us considered this to be a transitional year where we shed ourselves of the worst of the salaries, score a ton of goals, but too flawed to be a real cup contender. Instead maybe win a round or two, be entertaining as hell, and came back a better team next year to really compete.

Once they fired Johnson they became that team that most of us were expecting going into the year, no more, no less.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Ryqj00J.png

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Yeah we definitely could. Both teams aren't that good this season.

Before we didn't have the speed to match the Rangers, this season we do. We can definitely exploit their defense which is weaker this year because they're relying a lot on Staal and Girardi (for whatever reason).

Islanders would be a tougher matchup because they have good scoring throughout the lineup.

Saying we could is different than expecting us to win. My prediction is we lose to them. That doesn't mean I don't think we can win.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
The Rangers aren't really that good this year. Their only real advantage is Lundqvist, and it's not a huge advantage with the way Fleury's playing nowadays.

They're not faster. They don't have near the same high end talent. Their defense is possibly worse than ours with Staal, Girardi and Boyle pretty much **** at this point. And they're still dressing Glass on a regular basis.

Tampa, Washington and Florida are the teams I'd be more worried about.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Saying we could is different than expecting us to win. My prediction is we lose to them. That doesn't mean I don't think we can win.

That's not what you asked, however. You asked if I had a lot of confidence in them winning.

Sure. I do.

Do I expect them to win? Ask me after the trading deadline.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
The Rangers aren't really that good this year. Their only real advantage is Lundqvist, and it's not a huge advantage with the way Fleury's playing nowadays.

They're not faster. They don't have near the same high end talent. Their defense is possibly worse than ours with Staal, Girardi and Boyle pretty much **** at this point. And they're still dressing Glass on a regular basis.

Tampa, Washington and Florida are the teams I'd be more worried about.

I wouldn't be that worried about Tampa either, tbh. They have some weird **** happening, Stamkos still isn't re-signed so they might have to make a tough choice with him, they've had ther struggles this season, Drouin probably won't be there and the Pens have a good history against them. The Rangers would worry me more.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I wouldn't be that worried about Tampa either, tbh. They have some weird **** happening, Stamkos still isn't re-signed so they might have to make a tough choice with him, they've had ther struggles this season, Drouin probably won't be there and the Pens have a good history against them. The Rangers would worry me more.

I wish the Pens were in the Atlantic, to be quite honest.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008

Absolutely.

Isles are mediocre, and the Pens own them time and time again. NYR are a shell of their former self over the last few seasons.

Orpik and Niskanen suck in the playoffs as we all know, I don't fear the Caps either.

The one team who is looking good in the east is Fla if Lunogo keeps playing at this level, and Jagr doesn't run out of steam again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad