Your Prediction: Are we buyers or sellers at the trade deadline?

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
As of right now we hold the 1st Wild Card spot with 45 points. Right behind us is the Rangers with 44 points and 4 games in hand. Florida has 43 points and 3 games in hand. Boston is 3 points back with 1 game in hand. Ottawa is 8 points back with 2 games in hand. While Columbus is 10 points back with 4 games in hands.

So what do you guys think? 2 months from now are we buyers looking to get past the first round in the playoffs? Are we sellers looking to move out contracts for futures? Or are we maybe staying put and "evaluating" the team to see how things play out?

Personally I see us being a bubble team. Last year we went 11-2-1 before the massive collapse. Do we go 6-14-2 this time around? It'll be close. Our possession stud Kadri is out for the week. Our main secondary scoring contributor Lupul is out for who knows how long, and a valuable PKer in Holland is out. Winning games we don't deserve to win will be a tough task. And thus a record of 6-10-5 from December 18th to January 31st isn't too far fetched with our current schedule. With a month before trade deadline and being at the bottom half of the standings, I'm thinking we'll be sellers. Maybe not a full out refresh like some are hoping for, but I would think some noticeable changes will be made.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
I just have no idea what to do with Franson. Does having one good/great year of many give you a long term high $ contract? I think it comes down to, once again, having either Gardiner or Franson but not both and I blame Nonis and Robidas contract.

If I had a choice between Gardiner or Franson I think I would choose Gardiner only because of age.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
I just have no idea what to do with Franson. Does having one good/great year of many give you a long term high $ contract? I think it comes down to, once again, having either Gardiner or Franson but not both and I blame Nonis and Robidas contract.

If I had a choice between Gardiner or Franson I think I would choose Gardiner only because of age.

I agree. With Phanuef taking up 7 million, Robidas with 3 million and Jake Gardiner with 4 million, Keeping Franson will be next to impossible especially with guys like Kadri (due for a raise), Santa and Winnik all needing to be re-signed. You can also add a bridge deal for Rielly to that list later on as well. One of the two will be gone (unless Phanuef is traded).

As for your question he'll get a raise. Whether its from the Leafs is yet to be determined.

Last edited:

cheeeko

Sep 20, 2012
Halifax, NS
Honestly what do we have to sell?

Franson I suppose we should trade as we probably won't be able to afford him. I'd like very much to keep him, though.

Other than him we don't have much of value that we'd be willing to trade. Lupul if healthy could grab a decent return, but no one is gonna take Gardiner with that contract given the way he's playing, at least not for fair value.

I don't know, perhaps I'm too pessimistic after years of poor management, but I feel the team has been put into a position in which significant change--and thereby, success--will be impossible for the next 5-7 years. We're no Edmonton, but we do have a culture of mediocrity here.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Honestly what do we have to sell?

Franson I suppose we should trade as we probably won't be able to afford him. I'd like very much to keep him, though.

Other than him we don't have much of value that we'd be willing to trade. Lupul if healthy could grab a decent return, but no one is gonna take Gardiner with that contract given the way he's playing, at least not for fair value.

I don't know, perhaps I'm too pessimistic after years of poor management, but I feel the team has been put into a position in which significant change--and thereby, success--will be impossible for the next 5-7 years. We're no Edmonton, but we do have a culture of mediocrity here.

That's already 2 moves more than what we did last year. If Shanny sees this team as mediocre and decides its time for a new core. A guy like Phanuef may very well be traded (with us retaining some salary). This would make room for resigning some key guys like Franson. While also being the first step in dismantling the old to prepare for the new

Durkin67

Neither.

Nonis won't be given the autonomy to make any major changes.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Based on what this organization has shown, we are neither.
We are neither a buyer or seller, bottom 5 team or playoff team.
Thanks for the hard work Winnik/Santorelli, you will ultimately need to be replaced as we retool the bottom 6 to help Kessel/Phaneuf.

carko32

May 14, 2014
Slovenia
I don't expect big move, but I think that we'll be selling some of the rentals(Booth, maybe Winnik).

Can't decide on Franson, since he is really playing well, but I don't see enough capspace for him.

And I would love to keep Santorelli, I think that we should offer him Komarov money, even a little bit more, since he is better player.

Selling, but only minor deals, the big ones are coming in summer.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Neither.

Nonis won't be given the autonomy to make any major changes.

Should he? I mean he had free reign last year before Shanny got here, and stood pat. Then we ended up crashing and burning and completely missing the playoffs. (Yes I understand Bernier's injury was a large part of it). He made a nice trade in getting Bernier but what else has he done for us aside from screwing up our cap situation, and trading earlier round picks for plugs like Bolland? He shouldn't be the one given autonomy to make moves as I trust Shanny's judgement way more at this point.

Durkin67

Should he? I mean he had free reign last year before Shanny got here, and stood pat. Then we ended up crashing and burning and completely missing the playoffs. (Yes I understand Bernier's injury was a large part of it). He made a nice trade in getting Bernier but what else has he done for us aside from screwing up our cap situation, and trading earlier round picks for plugs like Bolland? He shouldn't be the one given autonomy to make moves as I trust Shanny's judgement way more at this point.

If he's going to be relieved, and I believe he is, then no. He should not be in the position to impact the teams' long term plans.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It's hard to know what Nonis thinks.

All it would take to change the culture of this team is trade Kessel and Dion.

If that means we are sellers, than we may be.

Simcoe23

Feb 2, 2011
Sell. Move Franson for sure and load up on picks for this draft and/or players from other orgs that Hunter believes we can get for little or nothing but that he thinks can be solid pros. Rebuild. You can't be a marginal team/fence sitter at best, every year, and still be at the cap. We are not good enough.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I agree. With Phanuef taking up 7 million, Robidas with 3 million and Jake Gardiner with 4 million, Keeping Franson will be next to impossible especially with guys like Kadri (due for a raise), Santa and Winnik all needing to be re-signed. You can also add a bridge deal for Rielly to that list later on as well. One of the two will be gone (unless Phanuef is traded).

As for your question he'll get a raise. Whether its from the Leafs is yet to be determined.

Winnik should be let go. Don't re-sign a 4th liner. You'll find another Winnik in the summer to sign for a cheap one year deal if you want. Santa is also not a must have. This team needs to be blown apart, not re-sign some borderline players.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Neither.

We will do a bit of selling, and a bit of buying.

Or, nothing at all

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It depends on what Shanahan wants and where the team is.

If the team is still sniffing a wildcard playoff spot, I doubt they'll move anything significant.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
In fairness, Shanahan may be putting a halt to moves. He may still need more time for evaluation so really any move or non move is on him ultimately.

Nonis' whole GMing career has been him sitting with his thumb up his ass being too scared to pull the trigger on trades that would improve the team. Whatever, at least he has the balls to make big UFA signings like Clarkson, am I right?

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
It depends on what Shanahan wants and where the team is.

If the team is still sniffing a wildcard playoff spot, I doubt they'll move anything significant.

So in other words, the same old ****? Spinning our tires. Yea, let's re-sign Winnik, let's re-sign Santo, let's re-sign Franson, let's keep this mediocre team together while being tightly pressed up against the cap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad