GDT: Your New Jersey Devils vs Winnipeg Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Also look how the blow outs happened instead of just looking at the box score. We were playing pretty close in both of those games, made a few mistakes, and instead of battling back we sort of just gave up and let it spiral out of control. Definitely shows a motivation and execution issue. We make a big mistake and then just come out flat afterward. It is something we weren't doing earlier in the year, or hell something we didn't do against the Flyers last week.

Maybe you are right we need another Atlantic game to get fired up.
Another thing that's been talked about by a lot of people, not just me. It should be no excuse, but we've also struggled mightily in games that start at weird times. 1:00 PM, 3:00 PM, the 12:00 PM, and this weird 5:00 PM start really sucked. The team needs to find a way to battle through it, but it has been a problem.

Even that Isles game a few weeks back on super bowl sunday. Moose was a beast that game. It wasn't our best game, but the defense was great, and we killed off like 8 penalties that game. If Moose don't stop that shorthanded breakaway from Grabner though, that could have very well ended up with Nabby getting the shutout.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Just saying, but it seems we've been doing bad since that stupid ridiculous Honda founding fathers commercial has been on. It's frequented during the Devils games, and it's supposed to be fore President's Day, but that was a week ago.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Just saying, but it seems we've been doing bad since that stupid ridiculous Honda founding fathers commercial has been on. It's frequented during the Devils games, and it's supposed to be fore President's Day, but that was a week ago.

You know I was actually thinking that yesterday. :laugh: That commercial has become like the anti-gate for us.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
You know I was actually thinking that yesterday. :laugh: That commercial has become like the anti-gate for us.
Yeah the whole thing is ridiculous. My friend pointed out how funny it is that a foreign car company is featuring America's founding fathers in it's commercials!

Also

NEED MORE SLAMMER GDT's!

Seriously we won 5 in a row with them.

StvBroDan

vPLAY WITH HEARTv
Oct 15, 2008
USA
So get up and play well against good teams. Play like **** against so so teams. I get the strategy NOT. Stop taking nights off Devils or you will be outside looking in come playoff time.

Moose time for a rest.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Missed most everything that went on yesterday. Any news on Marty? I did see the first period of the game. Lokti looked pretty good which is encouraging. Otherwise they all just seem so, I don't know, disinterested. Sloppy play and only small spurts of effort followed by long periods of just going through the motions.

cj225

Work in Progress...
Dec 6, 2006
NJ
Missed most everything that went on yesterday. Any news on Marty? I did see the first period of the game. Lokti looked pretty good which is encouraging. Otherwise they all just seem so, I don't know, disinterested. Sloppy play and only small spurts of effort followed by long periods of just going through the motions.

Yeah it's called he's old...

But apparently it's his back and he'll be evaluated today.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Watch the game again, Loktionov and a few others had their fair share of solid chances. Jets on the other hand were very opportunistic and capitalized on our mistakes. The PP goal and the breakaway were really avoidable.

The only thing I really disliked is the lack of urgency at the start of the 3rd period. Literally a slump.

That game was spoiled away. Lokti's shot through the crease early on, two really bad goals involving Moose, and the ref blown call in the crease in addition to several shots that could have gone but didn't. Bad play + bad luck = you're gonna have a bad time.

And more on JJ.

Let's not act like Josefson is a bobby butler, or little gio. Guy was a #1 pick, who despite some injuries showed some real promise. Came into this year as #3 center, and I think it was reasonable to hope he started to make a case for some 2nd line minutes. If nothing else I expected forechecker extrodanaire, and the offensive chances would spawn from that.

but instead we have a kid who legimately should be in the minors.

No he's not Kovy important, but his poor play has left a void that others are being asked to fill.

JJ was #20 overall and if you look at the names picked after him, they aren't doing much of anything either. It's not like we passed on Kadri. Kyle Palmieri is probably the most successful person picked late in the draft to this point and he's only 4th lining it. It's more people's expectations that have been the let down, not his actual performance to his draft slotting and comparables. Would we have loved him to be John Madden reborn? Sure. Maybe even a Zajac lite - but reality is he may take a heck of a lot more time to blossom than we like, especially after having major injuries during his prime development time. You may as well treat him as a 2010 draft pick with all the time lost.

Yeah it's called he's old...

But apparently it's his back and he'll be evaluated today.

Lord knows he should have back problems by now, all these years carrying the team.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

So should Tallinder replace Volchenkov in thursday's game?

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

This is like asking if you should burn it or drown it.

NO comment.

Volchenkov's lack of mobility really showed in yesterday's game and with a heavy schedule, he should take a breather IMO. It's not as if Tallinder is light years faster then Anton but there has to come a time where DeBoer just says... "ok, it's time to give this guy a rest".

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
About Josefson,

I don't care about positioning in the draft. The draft is done and top picks always go down and later picks occasionally make an impact. That is a moot point and irrelevant at this stage.

The issue is that you needed him to be healthy, which he has, and start making improvements from what we've seen in the prior years: good D, speedy forechecking, and some playmaking. Instead we have a Jo who was on the ice for every goal against. There isn't any excuses any more considering Lokti jumped into his spot and started to produce his way into the top 6.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Josefson played his heart out yesterday, but when you play the game like you have a gun strapped to the side of your head, you're bound to make mistakes. I'm not trying to defend him but that's just reality.

I'm really liking what I see out of Lokti and if he can make Josefson expendable, then so be it.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Starting to look like some poor drafting, especially at the forward position is finally comeback to hurt this team. Now that Clarkson and Andy Greene have come back to earth where seeing the team that many experts predicted. It's not just giving up so many goals on the pk, we're really not scoring much. 1 or 2 goals is not going to cut it in todays NHL. And moose looks like he finally hit a cold streak, he wasn't good.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I try not to look far into future, but Lou really needs to sign some UFA scoring and start adding some of these young defensemen we hear such about. Half our defense is really starting to look old and slow.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
That game was spoiled away. Lokti's shot through the crease early on, two really bad goals involving Moose, and the ref blown call in the crease in addition to several shots that could have gone but didn't. Bad play + bad luck = you're gonna have a bad time.

JJ was #20 overall and if you look at the names picked after him, they aren't doing much of anything either. It's not like we passed on Kadri. Kyle Palmieri is probably the most successful person picked late in the draft to this point and he's only 4th lining it. It's more people's expectations that have been the let down, not his actual performance to his draft slotting and comparables. Would we have loved him to be John Madden reborn? Sure. Maybe even a Zajac lite - but reality is he may take a heck of a lot more time to blossom than we like, especially after having major injuries during his prime development time. You may as well treat him as a 2010 draft pick with all the time lost.

Lord knows he should have back problems by now, all these years carrying the team.

Astute look at the game and I agree. I think we did play better in some aspects of the game, but other aspects were poor. Moose was lackluster, but its hard to blame him considering he just played the day before and wasn't going to start today. Messes me the routine. Despite the goal I think the PK looked better, but one mistake and a save that should of been made but wasn't will always gloss over that.

Power play was a definite let down. We had a chance to put this game out of reach on one, and get back in on another and it looked terrible. Urgency level wasn't where it should of been in the 3rd but we did unofficially pull within 1 with 5 left, but they screwed that for us.

We just need to get back on track. Hopefully Marty and Carter are going to be ok soon, and the three days allows us to work some crap out. Still if we have to slump now is the best time to. Rather now then mid-March/April.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
zomfg_zpsf6925084.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->