GDT: Your New Jersey Devils @ Toronto Maple Leafs, 7:30 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
It was a predictable let down game after a gut check game against the Rags. The fact that they were able to get a point was kinda ok by me. Should have been 2, but oh well

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
I don't think there's going to be a single game of breathing room for the remainder of the season, unless we end up dropping out of the race.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It was a predictable let down game after a gut check game against the Rags. The fact that they were able to get a point was kinda ok by me. Should have been 2, but oh well

I still believe the Schlemko goal got them the point.

I think more of it as a point gained, more than a point lost. Though don't get me wrong, you should usually get 2 points when playing this embarrassment of a franchise. Or at least get more than 2 of 4 available points on the season.

But I was feeling a Maple Leafs goal in 3rd period, if we hadn't scored to go ahead first.

And while I didn't think we'd blow it with their net empty, I certainly did foresee another premature and early pull. And this time it burned us.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I don't think there's going to be a single game of breathing room for the remainder of the season, unless we end up dropping out of the race.

Yep. Team needs to play with urgency and see every two points as important because it is. Can't do anything about having more games played than other teams, but we can do something about our point total.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I seriously have more faith in scoring a goal on another goaltender with our goalie pulled, than I do in scoring on an empty net goal.

We might actually have as many goals scored on the season with our goalie pulled this year than we do empty net goals.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Yes, I do realize it but you know what?

At least we wouldn't have lost in a friggin' ALLSTAR EVENT that has NO PLACE in the NHL.

Would rather end in a Tie, than a Loss, Eddy.

Point is a point. How it is labelled doesn't matter. We moved forward and gained ground on teams around us. Move on to the next game and get more points and keep climbing.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Saturday is a 1 PM game. Usually hate those starts, but with a team like Washington, you want to make the game as non-routine for both teams as possible. Hopefully Washington doesn't fare well in early games.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I seriously have more faith in scoring a goal on another goaltender with our goalie pulled, than I do in scoring on an empty net goal.

We might actually have as many goals scored on the season with our goalie pulled this year than we do empty net goals.

You keep saying this but we never had a chance to score an ENG. They got their faceoff a few seconds after the pull. Won it clearly and scored almost right away.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
You keep saying this but we never had a chance to score an ENG. They got their faceoff a few seconds after the pull. Won it clearly and scored almost right away.

We had an opportunity but didn't have any clear shot on goal. Didn't get a shot off but was transitioning through the neutral zone.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We've scored 4 empty net goals this year

Out of 16 times that the opponent has pulled their goalie. Not sure if that's a high percentage or not.

2 of our empty net goals came two weeks ago against Calgary and Ottawa in back to back games.

We've only allowed goals 4 times with the other teams goalie pulled, if I'm correct. 2 of them were when we were up by 2 and didn't tie the game. The other 2 did tie the game. First time we won in OT against Arizona.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
They had it pulled before the faceoff. We had a 3 on 2 in the neutral zone but botched a pass

That's what I was talking about.

Though I understand it wasn't long, just a number of seconds before that last commercial break.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

Sadly, as I was listening to this at work I had a feeling they were going to tie it. We couldn't win a faceoff to save our lives and it felt like it was just a matter of time.

At least we didn't give up the extra point to somebody we're fighting with in the standings.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Bleed's talking as if they were cycling for a minute and a half and we didn't clear or missed multiple chances on net. Was not the case.

It still doesn't change the fact that we've only scored 25% of times when the net has been empty at the other end.

Maybe that's not as bad as it looks, I'd have to find out what the average team scores on most attempts when the opposition's net is empty. Maybe one of those stats sites can tell us.

But you absolutely can't deny or argue that teams seem to pull their goalies earlier than usual against us. Especially down by just one goal.

I keep thinking back to the first Chicago game. They pulled the goalie with 8 minutes left against us down by 3. They eventually scored after 5 minutes of us just defending, but we were up by 3 and it didn't matter. I honestly believe that started the trend.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Sadly, as I was listening to this at work I had a feeling they were going to tie it. We couldn't win a faceoff to save our lives and it felt like it was just a matter of time.

At least we didn't give up the extra point to somebody we're fighting with in the standings.

That was a big problem all night. We were awful in the dot. Palms played one of his worst games as a Devil.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
As bad as we were on faceoffs, I believe the first goal by us happened on a faceoff win.

But other than that, there weren't many memorable ones to speak of.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Teams pull their goalies early all the time lately, so I don't think it's anything specifically used against us.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
We still had a lot of opportunities to seal this game:

- Gionta Offside
- Palmeiri blown 2 on 1
- Josefson ringer off post
- Blandisi blown 2 on 1
- Blandisi falling on the breakaway

We need one of those to be goals.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Teams pull their goalies early all the time lately, so I don't think it's anything specifically used against us.

Roy started the trend of super early pulls a couple years ago.

But ever since the first game against the Blackhawks, I've noticed some early pulls against us. And sometimes very early when we're only up by 1.

I swore the Rangers would pull with the 2 minutes left the other night, but we did a good job of keeping Lundqvist in there until there was just 60 seconds left.

I'm noticing an alarming trend of early pulls against us though. A little bit earlier than what I notice against other teams in the league when I watch other games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->