GDT: Your New Jersey Devils @ Montreal Canadiens, Bell Centre, 7 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
The LAST thing Shero needs to do is make a panic move.

This season means absolutely NOTHING. Zero. We all knew it coming in. This year was about getting Hynes's system, cutting dead weight from the last regime, and developing Zacha, and getting another nice forward prospect in ~8-14 range. That's it.

All of a sudden we have a nice start to the year, and now you guys want to sell the farm to make it as a wildcard seed?

Look, I'm glad this team is doing better than expected, but this is a placeholder season. I'm not going to shoot my load now when all my prospects are getting closer to being ready, I have insane cap space next year, and no one was even planning for us to even be good in the first place.

PERSPECTIVE. Who gives a **** about the playoffs this year? Focus on the big picture.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
still cant believe those pukes lost to that team who has been in the dumpster for the past like 17 games. pathetic.

They still have talent up and down the roster while we're missing our leading scorer. Let's not act as if we should be rolling over anyone.

This season means absolutely NOTHING. Zero. We all knew it coming in. This year was about getting Hynes's system, cutting dead weight from the last regime, and developing Zacha, and getting another nice forward prospect in ~8-14 range. That's it.

All of a sudden we have a nice start to the year, and now you guys want to sell the farm to make it as a wildcard seed?

Look, I'm glad this team is doing better than expected, but this is a placeholder season. I'm not going to shoot my load now when all my prospects are getting closer to being ready, I have insane cap space next year, and no one was even planning for us to even be good in the first place.

PERSPECTIVE. Who gives a **** about the playoffs this year? Focus on the big picture.

This is absolutely correct. Well said.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore

You're my hero!:yo:

Can you repost this everyday on the team thread like, everyday?!

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ

Agree 100%... but what do you consider "selling the farm"? I think playoff experience is a great thing, and if Shero can make a little move to get Boedker or something to help get NJD to playoffs, then why not?

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

Agreed. Moves like Drouin however could pay off both now and in the future, depending on the cost.

It's all about patience and smart asset management right now.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I'm not seeing effort.

Again, I said this elsewhere, I don't think Shero thought this team had a chance at the playoffs this year. I think the cap space is evidence of that. I think he figured this was another year in which we would get another high pick. And beginning of the year, I was cool with that.

But we are half way into the year and sit in a playoff spot. We could use some offense in the worst way. He's bringing up Mike Sislo.

Maybe he's working on things, I don't know, but I'm not seeing it. I'm just going by what I see. And what I see is Tlusty on the 1st line and Ruutu on the 2nd. We need better then that.

You can't just pick up every guy off waivers. There's a contract limit. You really have to weigh whether putting in the claim is better than anyone you have in your system. Even then, you have to weigh whether or not it is worth it to use up a roster spot for that guy.

Even then for Gagner is it worth paying a guy 3.2 million who might be a better player then the guys we have. On top of that, we would have been doing the Flyers a serious favor taking that contract off their hands. You're going to see guys play over their heads when we have injuries.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Not sure why Sam Gagner is creating all this buzz.. It's Sam Gagner. at 5 million. Why would we take him? However, if Shero can make a trade with Philadelphia for say,

To NJ:
Gagner (50% retained)
6th round pick

To PHI:
7th round pick

Then I would be for it. He might be able to help the bottom 6. But at the price he was at? hell no.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I think it's horrible to take the attitude of "who cares about playoffs this year?" Every year, the team should be caring about playoffs, and hopefully the fans are too. For the first half of the season, we've spent a lot of time in a playoff spot or fighting for one. We've been competitive for the wild card slots when we aren't in one of the two. That's a great thing, and the team should try to keep that going. They should be trying to remain in the thick of that playoff race. I don't know if they'll be able to squeak in (although I think it's unfair to say they definitely won't be able to do it, since they've been in or hovering around that spot most of the season) but they should at least be contenders to do so. That wasn't the expectation at the start of the season, but now they've shown they can do that, that should absolutely be the expectation that they have of themselves and that fans have for them. Acting like everything is gravy because we expected to be a bottom feeder is kind of a loser mentality in my opinion.

As for Shero, most of his decisions have turned out well for this team. I wouldn't have minded a claim on Gomez or Gagner, but I'm sure he had his reasons for not doing so. Perhaps, in the case of Gagner, he wants to save that cap space for future purposes that might arise.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I think it's horrible to take the attitude of "who cares about playoffs this year?" Every year, the team should be caring about playoffs, and hopefully the fans are too. For the first half of the season, we've spent a lot of time in a playoff spot or fighting for one. We've been competitive for the wild card slots when we aren't in one of the two. That's a great thing, and the team should try to keep that going. They should be trying to remain in the thick of that playoff race. I don't know if they'll be able to squeak in (although I think it's unfair to say they definitely won't be able to do it, since they've been in or hovering around that spot most of the season) but they should at least be contenders to do so. That wasn't the expectation at the start of the season, but now they've shown they can do that, that should absolutely be the expectation that they have of themselves and that fans have for them. Acting like everything is gravy because we expected to be a bottom feeder is kind of a loser mentality in my opinion.

As for Shero, most of his decisions have turned out well for this team. I wouldn't have minded a claim on Gomez or Gagner, but I'm sure he had his reasons for not doing so. Perhaps, in the case of Gagner, he wants to save that cap space for future purposes that might arise.

I mean, of course everyone here is rooting for the team to make the playoffs...I didnt think that needed to be stated.

the point is we shouldn't be giving up any assets for pending UFAs. this team is not a contender, whether they make the playoffs or not.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I mean, of course everyone here is rooting for the team to make the playoffs...I didnt think that needed to be stated.

the point is we shouldn't be giving up any assets for pending UFAs. this team is not a contender, whether they make the playoffs or not.

That's different than what people stated, though. I agree with that, not with the "who cares?" stuff people were posting. Playoff experience is huge for the young players on the Devils. If we can get in, I will care very much.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
You can't just pick up every guy off waivers. There's a contract limit. You really have to weigh whether putting in the claim is better than anyone you have in your system. Even then, you have to weigh whether or not it is worth it to use up a roster spot for that guy.

Even then for Gagner is it worth paying a guy 3.2 million who might be a better player then the guys we have. On top of that, we would have been doing the Flyers a serious favor taking that contract off their hands. You're going to see guys play over their heads when we have injuries.
One of injuries was Tyler Kennedy.

Are we at the contract limit?

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Also the Devils NHL roster was full including a couple on IR. I don't know if you can pick a guy up on waivers when you have the full boat at the NHL level.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Not sure why Sam Gagner is creating all this buzz.. It's Sam Gagner. at 5 million. Why would we take him? However, if Shero can make a trade with Philadelphia for say,

To NJ:
Gagner (50% retained)
6th round pick

To PHI:
7th round pick

Then I would be for it. He might be able to help the bottom 6. But at the price he was at? hell no.

He just cleared waivers :laugh:

Nobody wanted him for free and you want to give up a draft pick for him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad