GDT: Your New Jersey Devils (8-2) at Vancouver Canucks (6-3-2), 10 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Because playing in your end doesn’t mean you played poorly defensively. It isn’t the same thing.
I certainly think it means you didn't play that well most of the time. Sometimes with score effects, you'll allow that many shots/stay in the D-zone that long, when you were probably playing well earlier in the game. The games against Toronto and Colorado are examples of that. Maybe last night, though to a smaller extent. We played pretty decent when the game was still scoreless.

The goalie stole the game, Cory's stole plenty of them before. We also bailed him out when he was pretty bad against Ottawa, when we played well defensively, but the goals against made it look like we didn't.

I also thought we played well defensively in the second game against Ottawa, but Kinkaid wasn't all that great.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I certainly think it means you didn't play that well most of the time. Sometimes with score effects, you'll allow that many shots/stay in the D-zone that long, when you were probably playing well earlier in the game. The games against Toronto and Colorado are examples of that. Maybe last night, though to a smaller extent. We played pretty decent when the game was still scoreless.

The goalie stole the game, Cory's stole plenty of them before. We also bailed him out when he was pretty bad against Ottawa, when we played well defensively, but the goals against made it look like we didn't.

I also thought we played well defensively in the second game against Ottawa, but Kinkaid wasn't all that great.

We were terrible on the transition and couldn't sustain any offensive zone time. That was complicated by the fact that we were caught out there for a few long shifts where we couldn't get players off the ice.

That's not necessarily playing bad defensively. In the defensive zone, we boxed out well, covered passing lanes, tied up guys, etc.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We were terrible on the transition and couldn't sustain any offensive zone time. That was complicated by the fact that we were caught out there for a few long shifts where we couldn't get players off the ice.

That's not necessarily playing bad defensively. In the defensive zone, we boxed out well, covered passing lanes, tied up guys, etc.
I've always considered playing in the defensive zone (AKA: defending) to not be a good way to win hockey games. This was well before advanced stats would tell us that it was playing well. That doesn't mean that it always means we played bad. We were playing really good against Toronto and Colorado, back when the score was still close, before those teams poured it on late in the game. That's score effects.

The original point was that this was a goalie win, he stole the game. I don't think we played well enough as a team to not allow a single goal. Just like I don't think we played bad enough to allow 4 goals either game against Ottawa.

I agree with you on the lack of transition and not being able to sustain any O-zone time.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
It’s hard for me to get too critical of the team when I recall the end of last season and the current lineup only includes one additional core type veteran (MarJo) with no one of a core nature added on defense. Sure STAFFORD is playing well and guys like Gibbons and Coleman have played above expectations but they are all seem as spare parts. The additions of Nico and Brattman have certainly been noticeable but I have a son older than both of them. Trust me they are essentially children. In context the team has progressed past last season’s mess. There is still a big need for upgrades on defense and young players still need to marinate. If the team plays with enthusiasm and keeps the uptempo style that’s probably all we fans can expect. The last couple of games are probably a harbinger if the immediate future. Hall can’t carry the offense single handedly more than a few games at a time and if he slows down other folks have to step up again. That will likely be a bit of an up and down process.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
It’s hard for me to get too critical of the team when I recall the end of last season and the current lineup only includes one additional core type veteran (MarJo) with no one of a core nature added on defense. Sure STAFFORD is playing well and guys like Gibbons and Coleman have played above expectations but they are all seem as spare parts. The additions of Nico and Brattman have certainly been noticeable but I have a son older than both of them. Trust me they are essentially children. In context the team has progressed past last season’s mess. There is still a big need for upgrades on defense and young players still need to marinate. If the team plays with enthusiasm and keeps the uptempo style that’s probably all we fans can expect. The last couple of games are probably a harbinger if the immediate future. Hall can’t carry the offense single handedly more than a few games at a time and if he slows down other folks have to step up again. That will likely be a bit of an up and down process.

I think you're underselling some of the core "kids" on the team to be honest. Nico and Bratt look like core guys for our forward group to build around and Butcher, while he may not be a "core" guy per say, looks like a solid addition. Coleman is a nice complimentary piece and a solid 4th liner but I wouldn't expect much more than that,

This is still very much a work in progress. But our forward group has a ton of potential, again the inclusion of Bratt cannot be understated here. And our defense is a work in progress but is coming along, and is aided by some solid goaltending by both Schneids and Kinky.

As far as I'm concerned, despite our torrid start, this is still a "development" year where we see what our young guys are made of and so far, they have been incredible.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I think you're underselling some of the core "kids" on the team to be honest. Nico and Bratt look like core guys for our forward group to build around and Butcher, while he may not be a "core" guy per say, looks like a solid addition. Coleman is a nice complimentary piece and a solid 4th liner but I wouldn't expect much more than that,

This is still very much a work in progress. But our forward group has a ton of potential, again the inclusion of Bratt cannot be understated here. And our defense is a work in progress but is coming along, and is aided by some solid goaltending by both Schneids and Kinky.

As far as I'm concerned, despite our torrid start, this is still a "development" year where we see what our young guys are made of and so far, they have been incredible.

That’s my point if ineloquently expressed. It’s hard to expect rookies to be your best players. I expect inconsistency. I expect vets to be the leaders and really they only added one guy in that category compared to last season so by that standard I couldn’t agree more it’s a work in progress. I’m reading some of the comments that appear to apply critical analysis to the team as if it is more of a finished product than it really is.

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

And this is why Cory was so on. His strength is his positioning and ability to read plays. He still needs the team in front of him to take their man and shut down some passing lanes so he can focus on the shooter.

It is the dilemma of Cory. A piss poor defensive effort in front will make Cory look like a beer leaguer because it totally limits his strength.

Also why he doesn’t get as much credit when he is on. His style makes his saves look incredibly routine because he just doesn’t give the shooter much room to shoot at. So it is either up and over or into the crest most sides.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
It’s interesting to me that people are claiming he Devils played well last night.

The Canucks hit posts, blew open nets, and shanked shots. Mostly just random bad luck for them / good luck for the Devils. Without that, though, this is easily a 3-1 or 4-1 loss that looks a lot like games from last year.

The good news to me is that the team realizes last night’s performance won’t be good enough (based on the quotes from Hayes), and they seem to realize how they can play better. That’s already an improvement over last year.

Reactions: BenedictGomez
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad