GDT: Your New Jersey Devils (8-2) at Vancouver Canucks (6-3-2), 10 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
We played an awful lot of games where we dominated for large chunks and had nothing to show for it over the last few years because we couldn't score.

We are owed a few ugly ones

Reactions: glenwo2

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
We played an awful lot of games where we dominated for large chunks and had nothing to show for it over the last few years because we couldn't score.

We are owed a few ugly ones

My thoughts exactly. We've seen so many tight games like last night's go the other way over these past several seasons. It feels good to come out on top in that type of situation.

Reactions: glenwo2 and Aethon

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Should have IR'd Palms and called up Blandisi before the road trip. Just to have more options.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Umm, I'm not the one saying Edmonton is a fast team when they aren't so I have no idea what you're talking about.

Your post sounded like one on the drunk thread.

Edmonton skated circles around us and a lot of teams last season.

They've only had a few changes this season but granted I haven't watched them yet.

Let's see tomorrow.

kiwidevil

Welcome to my life watching in Germany at 1am while my girlfriend is sleeping next to me :D
There is no need to watch crappy feeds no matter where you are in the world, if that is what you are putting up with?
PM me if you want a very simple way to watch HD feeds.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
It was generally a precarious affair

Cory delivered a superhuman performance, a one-man shutdown machine

Reactions: glenwo2

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I know the Canucks aren't a good offensive team, and they'll undoubtedly be near the bottom in goals scored this season, but last night shows that Cory plays well when he does play, and that it's not the '''Defense's fault'' when he plays bad. Because let's be serious, the defense/team defense did not play good last night.

If he plays at a .920 all year, that's like acquiring a #1 defenseman, that we didn't have last year.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I know the Canucks aren't a good offensive team, and they'll undoubtedly be near the bottom in goals scored this season, but last night shows that Cory plays well when he does play, and that it's not the '''Defense's fault'' when he plays bad. Because let's be serious, the defense/team defense did not play good last night.

If he plays at a .920 all year, that's like acquiring a #1 defenseman, that we didn't have last year.

This really isn’t true at all. The team for the most part played well in their own zone both blocking shots and cutting down the shooting lanes allowing Cory to use his superior positioning to take care of everything else.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016

I thought the team played a very strong defensive game. They were in the right position and blocking tons of shot. Meanwhile, any rebounds that Cory gave up were taken by hte devils and cleared out of danger areas.

They turned the puck over constantly, Hall was the only forward skating and they struggled to pass the puck which led to them constantly defending.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This really isn’t true at all. The team for the most part played well in their own zone both blocking shots and cutting down the shooting lanes allowing Cory to use his superior positioning to take care of everything else.
It is very true.

We still allowed 37 shots on goal.

That's much more than we want to allow most nights. I still think we're in the bottom half in shots against, but goaltending has been better than last year.

Reactions: Devils Dominion

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I thought the team played a very strong defensive game. They were in the right position and blocking tons of shot. Meanwhile, any rebounds that Cory gave up were taken by hte devils and cleared out of danger areas.

They turned the puck over constantly, Hall was the only forward skating and they struggled to pass the puck which led to them constantly defending.
37 shots on goal isn't a strong defensive game.

If Cory even had an average game last night, I don't think anyone would be saying the defense played good or the team played good defensively. Say Cory allowed 3 goals last night, he may not have necessarily played bad.

Cory stole the game. It's fine, we needed the goalie to steal a game. Even the good teams need the goalie to steal a game once in a while.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Shot totals isn’t the end all be all of a defensive grade. Not at all. That is such an outrageously simple way to look at a game and is divcorcrd from actually watching it.
Playing in the defensive end for most of the game (as we did last night) is not indicative of a good game played.

I don't understand what your issue with me saying it's not?

I mean, it's not like I said the team has sucked all year and the goalies have stood on their head. We played a hell of a game against Ottawa, when Cory was having a bad game.

It's understandable, the team was playing with 11 forwards, 3000 miles from home. I'm just saying this was a goalie win more than anything. They helped him by blocking shots, but I'll never agree ever, that last night was a good team defensive game. I think a lot of you let the goals against sway your opinion on things. With all due respect.

For instance, we played pretty good against Ottawa when Cory was bad in that game, but we allowed 4 goals. I don't think the team played bad enough for us to allow 4 goals that night. And I don't think the team played good enough to allow 0 goals last night. Even the eye test indicated to me that the goalie stole the game. It doesn't mean he was the only player on the team that played good or showed up last night, I just think he was the reason we allowed 0 goals more than anything else.

It's understandable why they had a bit of a meh game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad