Your most pessimistic and optimistic predictions [MOD: Read OP]

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
- Laine struggles at first then gets more accustomed to the NHL and has a decent / good season.

- Thorburn spends more time eating popcorn than playing in games.

- Ehlers has a bit of the standard 2nd-year slump.

- Pavelec gets most of the starts this season. Just because...

- Wheels is announced as the new Captain

- Jets are fighting for a lottery pick again.

- The view from my seat will not be better.

we finally had enough, changed seats, three rows higher but can actually see entire ice surface

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Optimistic

Trouba gets a bigger contract than we want, but lives up to it this season.

Jets nab one of the wild card spots.

Lowry bounces back to being a good defensive center.

Pessimistic

3rd line center is our Achilles heel all year. Our middle six wingers take turns putting up great numbers on 2nd line with Little, and poor numbers on 3rd line.

Poor Postma still can't crack the lineup consistently.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
optimistic
Postma scores a hattrick in preseason
Dano scores two hattricks in preseason

pessimistic
It's not rec hockey, where you pay your $185 bucks and everybody gets fair ice time.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
By all accounts, this upcoming season looks to have more promise than any season before it and I'd even go as far to say that the Jets lineup has never been this deep or this talented in any of the previous seasons in Winnipeg.

What I propose in this thread is that out of all the outrageous predictions you want to make but good sense keeps you from doing so, you post the most negative and the most positive here.

Now, this ISN'T the thread for saying really stupid stuff like "STUART BECOMES OUR LEADING GOAL SCORER AND WINS TEH NORRIS TROPHY HUEHEUEHUEHUEHEU"[MOD]

I'll start (You can determine for yourself which predictions are positive and negative. Some are both)

1. [MOD]
2. Pavelec starts the season hot and battles all year long, making it impossible to replace him with whichever goalie is backing him up. This rekindles discussion about signing him as a backup for next season. -very negative:thumbd:
3. Scheifele, Ehlers and Laine all score 30+ goals, and Laine wins the Calder. :thumbu:
4. The Jumbo Jet Dogs are changed back to Nathan's Famous brand weiners, and everyone rejoices.
5. Kyle Connor doesn't make the Jets but scores 15 goals and 40 points with the Moose. - Negative that he doesn't make the Jets. Bumped by Matthias. :shakehead:rant: I would expect that kind of scoring from him in the NHL. In the AHL I want twice that. And he wins the Calder. :naughty:
6. Burmistrov scores 15 goals this year and reverts to his + Corsi style of play, making all the fan boys desperately plead for a bargain extension. - I fully expect that. :D
7. Peluso never sees the ice as a Jet ever again. :thumbu:
8. Wheeler tallies 95 points this season and battles for the scoring lead right to the end. - I thought you didn't want any wild, ridiculous fantasies.

Ok everyone, your turn!

This is NOT a thread where we wish for players to get injured. Not even minor injuries.

Most pessimistic: Stu, Pav, Thor, Strait, Peluso are all regulars. We finish 5th from the bottom, lose the lottery and draft 8th.

Most optimistic: Stu, Pav, Thor, Strait, Peluso are packaged in a trade for a 6th in 18 (sorry, that's the best return my imagination can muster). Stafford & Stanley are packaged for Sanheim. With the addition by subtraction we make the PO's and win the first round. That's enough goodness for 1 season. Oh, nearly forgot, Laine, Scheifele, Ehlers score 30+ each. Connor manages 'only' 20. :laugh: I'll leave the cup for next year. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Pessimism:

Any of our good Dmen getting injured.
I have a feeling this won't be like two seasons when we made playoffs despite the run of D injuries we had.

Optimism:

Making playoffs

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Pess

Laine scores 20 goals

Opt ( I'm more of an optimist )

Laine scores 35 goals
Schiefele hits 70 points wih Wheeler at 80 points
HELLY Assert himself as number 1 D by 5th game of the yeAr.
Jets makes the playoffs

By mid season many of the young guns asserts themselves in the Team.

PEtan, Morrissey, Lemiuex, Hellybuyck and Connor plus Laine.

Kent C Tugood

Not Quite Dead Yet
Jan 1, 2012
Doontoon
Pessimism: After a terrible start, Paul Maurice is force to lace 'em up.
Optimism: Paul Maurice winds up winning the Hart.

I'm bad at predictions.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
1.) Trouba nets 15g/45 pts aND becomes a Norris finalist.
2.) Scheifele nets 65pts taking 1C duties.
3.) Laine and Ehlers each net 25-30 g and Laine wins the Calder.
4.) Connor Burmi Dano become the best third line in the NHL.
5.) Maurice has a near death experience where he is in a coma and Jesus tells him that Stuart sucks and he needs to be put in the PB if the Jets ever want to win a Cup. Maurice then puts him on the top pair.
6.) Buff wins the Norris with a career year of 25g and 65pts
7.) Wheeler tops 80 points.
8.) Hellebuyck has an amazing year and back stops the Jets to the WCF.
9.) Pavelec retires and becomes the Montreal Canadians goaltending coach. Carey Price is then traded to Winnipeg at the draft for Michael Hutchinson and Jack Roslovic.
10.) Myers puts on 39lbs of muscle and becomes Chara 2.0.
11.) Auston Matthews is a bust.

Chuckled at #11. :laugh: But I would rather see Matthews be good but just clearly not as good as Laine - Laine wins the Calder. Matthews comes 4th in the voting. Nylander is a bust also clearly << Ehlers. I just can't bring myself to wish bust on a promising young player. :laugh:

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
As a team:

Opti - We make playoffs

Pess - We do not make playoffs

Forwards:

Opti - Laine hits over 25G

Pess - Marky Mark regresses

Defence:

Opti - Trouba has a spike in offensive contribution with Stuart being in the Press box

Pess - JoMo isn't ready for the NHL

Goaltending

Opti - Helly takes over the starting role.

Pess - Pavs plays over 75% of the games this season

Fans:

Opti - The biggest Beer cup Snake in the world is formed.

Pess - No Laine bobblehead

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Pessimistic:
Laine struggles to adjust for most of the season but starts really clicking near the end, leaving us hanging and wanting to see just a little bit more. But alas, we miss the playoffs and have to wait for the good things to come NEXT season.

Connor plays the entire season in the AHL and scores 40 points.

Pavs has his best season ever and HF Boards gets angrier every game.

Stuart plays 80 games.

Thorburn is a staple on the third line and our secondary scoring reaches toilet bowl levels.

Morrissey spends the whole year again in the AHL is is underwhelming.

OPTIMISTIC:

Laine starts out strong and only gets stronger as the season goes on. 27 goals and 55 points.

Connor surprises even his biggest fan (ME) and reaches 20 goals in his first NHL season.

ESW becomes the highest scoring line in the league.

Hellebuyck becomes the hands down #1 goalie on the team and steals some games for us on a fairly regular basis.

Lemieux gets almost as many points as penalty minutes in the A.

Morrissey removes all doubt that he's ready for the NHL permanently.

MOST LIKELY TO HAPPEN:

ESW becomes a top 3 line in the league

Laine shows a lot of flash but still starts a bit slow and slowly improves as the year goes on. Looks like a Top 2nd line player by the end of the year. Huge improvement in year 2.

Hellebuyck shows his stuff but doesn't play enough games due to the Pavelec factor.

Stuart starts the year but is slowly given less ice time as the season progresses. Somewhere in there Maurice has an "ah ha" moment. Finally

Connor shows flashes of his skill and has a decent year on the third line.

We are all here on July 16th 2017 discussing the same issues.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Optimistic Predictions:
30 goals for Laine
20 goals for Connor
35 points for Trouba
65 points for Scheifele
Hellebuyck proves himself as a starting goalie
Morrissey makes the Jets as a regular by year end

Pessimistic Predictions:
Hellebuyck sent down to start the year
Stuart in the starting line up
Trouba traded

The goalie thing will have the biggest impact on win / loss.

I am curious to see how Connor and Laine impact PIM differential - they are very clean players.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Optimistic Predictions:
30 goals for Laine
20 goals for Connor
35 points for Trouba
65 points for Scheifele
Hellebuyck proves himself as a starting goalie
Morrissey makes the Jets as a regular by year end

Pessimistic Predictions:
Hellebuyck sent down to start the year
Stuart in the starting line up
Trouba traded

The goalie thing will have the biggest impact on win / loss.

I am curious to see how Connor and Laine impact PIM differential - they are very clean players.

Trouba would be a big one too unless he was replaced by an equivalent piece

SoCalJetsFan

Sponsor
Oct 5, 2015
Temecula, CA
Opt
  1. Ehlers, Schife & Wheeler combine for more than 200 points
  2. Jets spend entire season fighting for 2nd/3rd in the Central
  3. Little and Laine are great together (RW is a revolving door with Staff, Dano & Armia)
  4. We have legit 3rd line with Perry and Connor and whomever isn't plaing RW on the Little line
  5. Jets beat the Preds in the 1st round of the playoffs
  6. Trouba signs 7 year deal and Trouba/Buff become top 5 defensive pairing in the league
  7. Helle starts 50 games in the regular season and gets 30 wins, Pav's starts the other 32 and gets 16 wins

Pess
Everything above still happens but Trouba only signs for 6 years. Sorry, I am not the least bit pessimistic about this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad