your loyalty to your favourite team

Taoiseach

Go Hull Go!
May 14, 2011
Ottawa-Gatineau, NCR
If I moved somewhere else, I could probably get behind the local team (depends on where though...), I'd certainly buy season tickets, and I'd probably buy a jersey or two.

If I moved somewhere with a really horrible OHL/QMJHL team, I'd probably find a Junior A/B/C team to cheer for.

That being said, I'd be there in full Black & Silver (/Orange & Purple) or Barberpole regalia when the Olympiques/67's were in town.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
I'd adopt the local team but would also remain a 67's fan and find some awkward way to co-exist. Over time, if I remained in that city long enough, I might switch my primary teams to the local one.

I pretty much want through the same process with the NHL as I grew up in Montreal and Toronto (was Habs fan) but became Sens fan now that I am in Ottawa (but still love the Habs as #2).

krazy kanuck

Dec 24, 2008
Alberta
I did move to Edmonton last summer. Traded in my Leafs jersey for an Oilers' Eberle one, but I'm still a die hard Colts fan. Born in Barrie, lived around the GTA and moved back there just before the Colts joined the OHL, I'll always support the Colts.

I do have WHL and QMJHL teams that I support as well (Red Deer Rebels and Saint John Sea Dogs) - have jerseys and go to their games when I'm in town - but if they ever meet the Colts in the Memorial Cup I'll be cheering for my hometown team.

I do go to a fair number of Oil Kings games (especially if Red Deer are in town) and other WHL games across the province too, but tend to go to a lot more NHL games now. It's weird, but the cost difference between Oil Kings and Oilers tickets isn't the same as the difference between OHL and NHL was in Ontario. Good Oil Kings seats cost $40, where in Barrie they were $20, and I get decent Oiler tickets for half the cost of Leaf tickets. Also, there was a lot more effort to get to a Leaf game (and auxiliary costs as well - parking/gas) than a Colts game (4 km from my old house) but here the Oil Kings/Oilers play at the same rink so the effort is exactly the same.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
More of a fan of the league than any specific team. As long as it's a great game, I'm happy.

DKQ

Generic User Title
Jun 17, 2012
Press Box
There's so much roster turnaround that I'd probably just support the team that I live near, for convenience sake.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I could live anywhere, and I'd still be a Spits fan. Sure, I'd go see the local team play, but I wouldn't cheer for them. Never going to happen.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I always just adopt the local team. Or, a couple years just an "interesting" team, if I have the Action Pack and can follow them. I've had Kingston, St. Mike's, Barrie, Brampton, Oshawa, Ottawa, Kitchener, and Windsor as "my team" at different times. Kingston Canadians were my first team, 67's currently and probably overall #1 in the last 10 years. Totally different than how I handle my NHL favourite, for whatever reason.

lazyboy

Sponsor
May 24, 2010
Wallaceburg, Ontario
I've been a Spits fan since the Warriner/Stillman draft year when I lived in Windsor for schooling. After graduating I still made the weekly trek to the old barn but as work life became more and more important and Thurs being their home dates I had to significantly cutback on the number of live games I would take in. However, Sarnia was a much more convenient destination (half the drive time and many Fri home dates) so about 4 or 5 years ago I started attending more and more of their games and have been a season ticket holder for the last 3. I cheer for Sarnia but they are not my team - spits through and through. That said I'm close enough to both that I still attend many spits games so maybe that's why the bond was never broken.

Reactions: BoxerMax

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
Before we got our own Major Junior A team here in Barrie, my favorite team was the Peterborough Petes, since I was 5 cause my name is Pete. I still have a soft spot for them. How on earth they failed to draft Pete Peeters is just inconceivable.

Reactions: StormWatcher

Spitsfan67*

There should be an option for you would still cheer for the team you grew up with but would get behind the local team.

cujoflutie

There should be an option for you would still cheer for the team you grew up with but would get behind the local team.

I generally don't like 'cop out' options of both/neither in polls, I like having to force people to choose between one or the other.

And let’s be honest, there’d have to be one. If your local team and team you called your favourite met, you’d have to cheer for SOMEONE.

The roster turnaround point is a good one. My inspiration for this thread has been the Brampton Battalion; as we all know they left due to lack of fan support but the ones they have are some of the most passionate out there. I asked many of them what happens next as far as the OHL for them; some aren’t supporting it (though mostly due to the letdown they are going through), the ones that are seem to be in consensus that they will follow North Bay for the next few years to follow the former battalion players but then after that will move on to Barrie (seems they’re at a consensus that they’d rather bathe in vomit than cheer for Mississauga). I guess I’d feel the same way as most; if I ended up in the same city as my rival, no way I’d simply say “well I’m here now, I’ll cheer for the team I’ve hated for years†but after years of turnaround, I might switch alliances.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
Live in the GTA but rep the Steelheads any chance I get, only way i'd cheer for another major junior team is if I ended up moving and one was closer to me. It was different with the Majors, I felt more attached, still trying to work that feeling and commitment out with the Steelheads.

If I moved within Ontario and could still follow the OHL I'd still get every Knights game on the Action Pak..so it wouldn't matter. If I moved out of province or abroad..I'd likely be done with watching the OHL and cheer from afar. The other 19 teams could fall off the earth for all I care. Knights or nothing.

Reactions: TheCoach

Knights77

Oct 5, 2012
Bud Gardens
This actually has happened to me. I grew up in London and am a Knights fan. Moved to Cambridge (aka Kitchener Ranger territory) 3 years ago and am still a season ticket holder for the Knights and travel back almost every game. The games I miss I try to get on TV. It would be a cold day in hell before I decided to cheer for the Rags of K-town.
I would never switch my allegiance. I couldn't...I won't. ;)

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
This actually has happened to me. I grew up in London and am a Knights fan. Moved to Cambridge (aka Kitchener Ranger territory) 3 years ago and am still a season ticket holder for the Knights and travel back almost every game. The games I miss I try to get on TV. It would be a cold day in hell before I decided to cheer for the Rags of K-town.
I would never switch my allegiance. I couldn't...I won't. ;)

How's the temp today? :laugh:....and didn't hell freeze over this year when the Leafs actually made the playoffs! :laugh::laugh:

If I moved out of K-Dubya I probably would get tickets and partially cheer for the local OHL team except for the Green Pond Scum!

Wiley Old Vet

Oct 8, 2011
I always have a soft spot for the team I grew up cheering for but sometimes they do something I can't forgive and have to switch, like Philly with the Roger Neilson firing, or a team hires someone I respect a great deal and have to cheer for them, or vice verse.
As it becomes more about business and less about the players and fans it gets tougher to follow 1 team. Currently have 3 NHL teams, 2 OHL teams and 2 OJHL teams I follow and while I have favourites in each it can change. So I guess a fair weather fan somewhat.

jughead42*

I'm a Spitfire fan until the day I die, no matter where I live. When I went to university in Guelph, I would just see the Spitfires whenever they played on the road there, or in Kitchener, or I'd make the short jaunt down the road to London. Most of the games are near the weekend, so if you love your team it's not much effort to see them play if you want to. Your team is your team, it's not about where you live once it's your team. I'd rather gouge my eyes out with rusty AIDS infected needles than root for another OHL team.

12Gage09

Jul 14, 2013
London
I'm a London Knights fan and I would never change my loyalty. I would listen live on the internet and watch when they are on Sportsnet's Friday Night Hockey. There will always be good players on other teams that I will follow but my allegiance will never change. If I lived in another OHL city I would go watch when they play the Knights. London is such an amazing franchise and has great history and so many great players and NHLers were London Knights.

Section19

Sep 17, 2012
Sudbury, ON
I'm amongst several Wolves fans that have had their loyalty severely tested due to the owner and his shenanigans.

I know several who had been long time season ticket holders and have made the tough decision to walk away. Some have gotten tickets for the local NOJHL team, others have gotten season tickets for Laurentian University.

I did not renew my season tickets after 6 years but I've haven't decided yet if I'm going to get season tickets elsewhere. However, I will follow the Wolves on the road as I've have a goal to visit each OHL arena. I truly enjoy watching OHL hockey and I may very well take a trip down highway 17 to see some Battalion games even if the Wolves aren't visiting. I just refuse to give the owner any more of my money.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
I'm amongst several Wolves fans that have had their loyalty severely tested due to the owner and his shenanigans.

I know several who had been long time season ticket holders and have made the tough decision to walk away. Some have gotten tickets for the local NOJHL team, others have gotten season tickets for Laurentian University.

I did not renew my season tickets after 6 years but I've haven't decided yet if I'm going to get season tickets elsewhere. However, I will follow the Wolves on the road as I've have a goal to visit each OHL arena. I truly enjoy watching OHL hockey and I may very well take a trip down highway 17 to see some Battalion games even if the Wolves aren't visiting. I just refuse to give the owner any more of my money.

I completely understand this point of view, and I would probably feel the same way you do. We're extremely lucky in Kitchener to not have that kind of issue.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I completely understand this point of view, and I would probably feel the same way you do. We're extremely lucky in Kitchener to not have that kind of issue.

I think eventually every fan base gets 'tested' and not renewing ST isn't showing any lack of loyalty. IMHO it's making a statement that you're expecting a better run organization. Blindly handing over thousands of dollars through the years to a team is foolish. In most cases once a team shows loyalty back to the fans that a person will be able to acquire season tickets again!
Why do sports teams and fans expect anything different from a standard consumer and product loyalty??? I know that if a store doesn't provide me with service that I paid for that I wouldn't go back. (nor could I really pay for ST or switch loyalty to another team) I would just ride out the really bad times with that ownership till I renewed by tickets, emotions and loyalty.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
I'm a huge 67s fan.

Moved to Sudbury for school. When the Wolves play and I go I support them, mainly because I know a couple players on the team. However, the one time the 67s come to town I bring out my barber pole jersey and honestly go crazy.

So glad that the ****** sevens managed to win against the Wolves this year while they were in Sudbury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->