Your least favorite Penguin?

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I can blame him for ****** decision making that doesn't rely on his body. I don't hate him, though... I could get there, given enough time if he's re-signed.

Yah OK but... has poor decision making really been the hallmark of his career here? My recollection of Orps is that his first few years here his main flaw was chasing hits because he was brought here to be a physically punishing defender. That was his job, he just had to learn how to pick his spots (and some of those teams were God-awful so it hardly mattered if he chased a hit or two every game that he shouldn't have). Once he learned to control that impulse and took his skating to another level, he was a very steady and punishing defender for us most of the time. I have no regrets whatever for having Orpik on this team.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Understood but I'm using hate as in "hating on a player" (hating the way they play, not wanting them here, etc), not literal bigotry-style hate or wishing hurtful **** on a person. Least favorite player as in, "that POS doesn't deserve to be here". That's the main vibe I'm getting; not saying anyone is doing the "real hate".

But I don't even see the cause for the "lesser form" of hate that I'm talking about. Orpik is just wearing down. He's taken a hell of a lot of abuse over the years so it's predictable IMO that he's going to start being a liability. Can't blame a guy for getting old and slowing down is all I'm saying. Or for getting hurt when your style of play is very physical / hard on the body.

Probably what aggravates me the most about Orpik, outside of his play this year, is his tendency to blame everyone and everything around him. Everything is someone else's problem with him.

He'll get walked for a goal, then stare daggers at his defensive partner on the bench. Drop a bomb of a game, then go to the press about how other guys need to compete better. Blow up the other team's best players, then expect Engelland to deal with the fallout.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Understood but I'm using hate as in "hating on a player" (hating the way they play, not wanting them here, etc), not literal bigotry-style hate or wishing hurtful **** on a person. Least favorite player as in, "that POS doesn't deserve to be here". That's the main vibe I'm getting; not saying anyone is doing the "real hate".

But I don't even see the cause for the "lesser form" of hate that I'm talking about. Orpik is just wearing down. He's taken a hell of a lot of abuse over the years so it's predictable IMO that he's going to start being a liability. Can't blame a guy for getting old and slowing down is all I'm saying. Or for getting hurt when your style of play is very physical / hard on the body.

That's fair. Some of the responses have been totally hatin' :laugh:

My response was more straight to the point. These are literally my least favorite players for varying reasons. It's no different than asking 'who is your favorite Penguin'.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Probably what aggravates me the most about Orpik, outside of his play this year, is his tendency to blame everyone and everything around him. Everything is someone else's problem with him.

He'll get walked for a goal, then stare daggers at his defensive partner on the bench. Drop a bomb of a game, then go to the press about how other guys need to compete better. Blow up the other team's best players, then expect Engelland to deal with the fallout.

I can understand that. He has shown an attitude at times. I guess that could warrant "least favorite player" status..... but man.... you've got to overlook some pretty worthless players like Glass and Engo... and cluster-****ed playoff performances by various players, to arrive at that conclusion. That's some serious Orpik-harshin'. :laugh:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Yah OK but... has poor decision making really been the hallmark of his career here? My recollection of Orps is that his first few years here his main flaw was chasing hits because he was brought here to be a physically punishing defender. That was his job, he just had to learn how to pick his spots (and some of those teams were God-awful so it hardly mattered if he chased a hit or two every game that he shouldn't have). Once he learned to control that impulse and took his skating to another level, he was a very steady and punishing defender for us most of the time. I have no regrets whatever for having Orpik on this team.

I think people are answering based on a "what have you done for me lately" kind of way. I don't think many would say they regret having Orpik on this team in the past. He was a huge contributor to the Cup team and the general success of the team. But at this juncture, he's one of my least favorite players because he's playing like **** for a while now and still being propped up as a top defenseman.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I think people are answering based on a "what have you done for me lately" kind of way. I don't think many would say they regret having Orpik on this team in the past. He was a huge contributor to the Cup team and the general success of the team. But at this juncture, he's one of my least favorite players because he's playing like **** for a while now and still being propped up as a top defenseman.

I suppose. I try to take a longer viewer than "who sucks this year" when answering the questions "least favorite Penguin". But that's just me and my dark side logic.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I suppose. I try to take a longer viewer than "who sucks this year" when answering the questions "least favorite Penguin". But that's just me and my dark side logic.

Your logic is far beyond that of the average HFposter. Seriously though, that's an appropriate way to look at it. I guess I answered more along the lines of "who do I not want on the team anymore" or in the case of Letang "who frustrates the hell out of me"

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

I admittedly have a fickle streak, I don't hate him because of his history. But that will be gone if he gets re-signed, I'll hate him then. I also don't like the saving himself and calling people out attitude, it puts more strain on everyone else and he's a major part of the problem most nights. I don't regret having on the team, but I'm more than ready for him to be gone.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I can understand that. He has shown an attitude at times. I guess that could warrant "least favorite player" status..... but man.... you've got to overlook some pretty worthless players like Glass and Engo... and cluster-****ed playoff performances by various players, to arrive at that conclusion. That's some serious Orpik-harshin'. :laugh:

Eh. I think Glass WITH Adams are worse than the sum of their parts. One guy's weaknesses magnify the other's. It's not inconceivable to me that a team with Glass as its 12th forward/enforcer is necessarily in terrible shape, assuming all the other ducks are in a row, which, with Adams in the lineup, they aren't.

Boston's got two finals appearances with Shawn Thornton in the Glass spot. I'm not sure there's a huge difference in what they bring at even strength at this point, slewfoot assaults notwithstanding.

And Engo...well...he's not very good at all, but at least he owns his actions instead of trying to pawn them off on other people.

High Flying Birds

Aug 29, 2009
Victoria, B.C
I could definitely do without the entity that is Gladams. Throw in Pyatt and it's probably the worst 4th line in hockey. If Vitale gets scratched for any of them, he should demand a trade immediately.

Not a fan of Orpik much these days but I try to remember the good times with him. If he gets resigned however.....

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Eh. I think Glass WITH Adams are worse than the sum of their parts. One guy's weaknesses magnify the other's. It's not inconceivable to me that a team with Glass as its 12th forward/enforcer is necessarily in terrible shape, assuming all the other ducks are in a row, which, with Adams in the lineup, they aren't.

Boston's got two finals appearances with Shawn Thornton in the Glass spot. I'm not sure there's a huge difference in what they bring at even strength at this point, slewfoot assaults notwithstanding.

And Engo...well...he's not very good at all, but at least he owns his actions instead of trying to pawn them off on other people.

Agreed on Glass vs Thornton, but at least Thornton can fight. The real problem is that Campbell, Paille are about a bazillion times better than Adams.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Agreed on Glass vs Thornton, but at least Thornton can fight. The real problem is that Campbell, Paille are about a bazillion times better than Adams.

Basically. With a Paille and a Campbell or Fiddler or something as linemates, I think Glass, while completely dispensable (and overpaid by about 400k), is a non-issue.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Only reason that makes me dislike some players is because of Bylsma/Shero.

Not gonna hate on the players when it isn't on them that they get so many minutes and dress over others that are more deserving.

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt
Only reason that makes me dislike some players is because of Bylsma/Shero.

Not gonna hate on the players when it isn't on them that they get so many minutes and dress over others that are more deserving.

Adams and Glass are 18th and 19th, respectively, among all Penguin forwards this season in even strength ice time per game. Both get under 10 minutes ES per game. Players like Harry Z and Ebbett got more ES ice time than those 2.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Orpik, because Glass and Adams do not have a prominent role on the team. I don't like Dupuis on that contract either.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
"I think Paul Martin needs to be gone." etc etc :laugh:

I don't hate any of them.

My least favorite right now is Letang. On one hand, I love the guy, but hate that he robbed the Penguins blind with his last contract. $5.5ish mil maybe. But $7.25?!?!?! Ugh.

He's just not that consistent and makes too many mistakes to be paid like other number one dmen.

Why don't we wait until this season's over, now that he's healthier than he was when he first came back this season. From what I saw of him Tuesday, if that's more of what there is to come, I am happy with his contract.

LetangInTheSO

Oct 17, 2008
I wouldn't say I really "hate" anybody on our roster. Gladams are the usual suspects, and you have Engo stealing minutes from guys who are probably better options, but I'm going to direct my frustration on that issue to the coach and not the players.

Honestly, as much as I love having him on my team, I think I'd have to go with Neal as my least favorite. Of all of our stars, he still seems the most undisciplined and prone to making dirty plays that both threaten the safety of others and sometimes put his own team at a disadvantage. Guy needs to get that stuff out of his game. Once again, I hold the coaching staff equally as accountable as the player on this one.

Michael8771*

I see it similarly. I think he's been far more a help to this team in his tenure here than a hindrance.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Adams and Glass are 18th and 19th, respectively, among all Penguin forwards this season in even strength ice time per game. Both get under 10 minutes ES per game. Players like Harry Z and Ebbett got more ES ice time than those 2.

There were two points I made. The second was " playing over others who are more deserving".

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Orpik has been a great defender for the bulk of his time in Pittsburgh...certainly never a #1 guy, but his importance over the past decade can't be thrown away just because he's lost it of late. He was well on his way to being our Ken Daneyko...but his play has fallen off a cliff this year and his role hasn't been reduced to coincide.

Pharrell Williams

watch me whip and nae nae
Sep 15, 2013
a particular place or position.

Fun Fact: Brian Dumoulin leads all Pens in shifts per game. Not making any points or arguments whatsoever, just noticed it and said "wat."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->