- Rule changes
move goal lines back
tag up offsides rule
10 minute overtimes, 4 on 4
Remove instigator rule
no coincidental penalties
delay of game penalties = automatic penalty shot
cut down goalie equipment
no points for overtime loss (2 point win, 1 point tie, 0 point loss)
no-touch icing
icing can occur during penalty kill
strict enforcement of the rule book, esp. interference/obstruction

- CBA stuff (luxury tax, hard cap, UFA age, etc...)
Hard cap at $37 million
luxury tax of 100% for amount over $34 million, total luxury tax revenue evenly redistributed to teams under $34 million payroll
no salaries allowed between $4-$7 million/year
automatic 4 year entry level deals
unrestricted free agency at 29, or 8 years in the league
draft age raised to 19
optional salary arbitration for restricted free agents
automatic contract arbitration for unsigned restricted free agents by Sept. 15th
trade deadline moved to 3rd Tuesday in February
contracts only guaranteed during last year of deal
no waivers
all contracts two-way (players make 40% of NHL salary in AHL)

- Contraction (if any)
Remove Carolina Hurricanes
Remove Anaheim Mighty Ducks

- Teams (Conferences/division)
28 teams

EASTERN CONFERENCE
-Adams Division
Boston Bruins
Buffalo Sabres
Montreal Canadiens
Ottawa Senators
Toronto Maple Leafs
Atlanta Thrashers
Pittsburgh Penguins

-Patrick Division
New York Rangers
New York Islanders
New Jersey Devils
Philadelphia Flyers
Tampa Bay Lightning
Washington Capitals
Florida Panthers

WESTERN CONFERENCE
-Norris Division
Detroit Red Wings
Chicago Blackhawks
St. Louis Blues
Nashville Predators
Columbus Blue Jackets
Dallas Stars
Phoenix Coyotes

-Smythe Division
Colorado Avalanche
Calgary Flames
Edmonton Oilers
Vancouver Canucks
Minnesota Wild
Los Angeles Kings
San Jose Sharks

- Number of games

8 vs. Divisional Opponents (4h-4a)
2 vs. Conference Opponents (1h-1a)
1 vs. Out of Conference Opponents (one division home-other division away, alternates yearly)

- Playoff layout
Top 8 in each conference advance
Division winners get top 2 seeds
Reseeding after 1st round

- Commissioner & Head of NHLPA
Does not matter

Other Changes
No more than 13 games a month per team
Each team will be in action on every Saturday night at 7:00 local time
National TV contract will be sought to show games, with local broadcasts of home teams at 7:00 and 10:00 ET on network TV (like NFL on Sundays, but with national coverage like HNIC)
White jerseys at home
Two players + coach on each team mic'd during games
Maximum average ticket price for each arena will be no more than $31 US

Munchausen

Isles72 said:
*allow goals to stand if scored with a high stick

*if a puck is knocked down with a high stick , dont blow the play dead , let the play go on , who cares !!! (this is a pet peeve of mine)

Those are 2 very good suggestions. I never understood those rules. To high stick a puck in the air is a skill, it requires great hand-eye coordination, and is a tool that increases the overall entertainment value of a play.

The ability to touch the puck in the air with a high stick can lead to spectacular goals. The fact the play is stopped and the goals disallowed when the puck is touched higher than the shoulders is complete non-sense.

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
Munchausen said:
Those are 2 very good suggestions. I never understood those rules. To high stick a puck in the air is a skill, it requires great hand-eye coordination, and is a tool that increases the overall entertainment value of a play.

The ability to touch the puck in the air with a high stick can lead to spectacular goals. The fact the play is stopped and the goals disallowed when the puck is touched higher than the shoulders is complete non-sense.

I agree man it would make for some crazy goals but maybe more sticks flying and more cuts for the players.

dvaske

Apr 29, 2002
NEW YORK CITY
Visit site
Munchausen said:

High stick blades = gouged eye sockets

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
I like a lot of the ideas but there is are a couple rule changes that are relatively minor that I would like to see changed. They need to remove hard plastic exteriors from elbow pads and they need to force players to keep their chin straps tight. There are far too many concussions going on in the hockey and they need to find ways to minimize them. Lots of great ideas guys, the game needs some tweaking.

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
Any cap scenarios here that are a dollar amount go right out the window. At this time it is IMPOSSIBLE to determine a dollar value for a cap now.

Any further scenarios MUST be a percentage of revenues at this time and until after a few NHL seasons are played. (Not my rule, just the way it is now.)

SuperNintendoChalmrs

Jun 28, 2002
Buffalo
Commissioner: Me

NHLPA Boss: Me

I will negotiate a deal of 30 million......I'll be damned if I do!!!!!.....Yeah I will, yeah I won't!!!!! :mad: :mad:

Contractions will be relegated to girlfriends and wives....but in case a team must go, residents of that city will have to play a 7 game series against another group of fans from another city. Loser loses the franchise. This will encourage more people in the sunbelt to attend, watch and play hockey.

Make division play more important. Rivalries have been lost.

Remove ESPN from ever having anything to do with the NHL ever again. This should have occurred when Tom Mees passed away.

Intermissions will have great fan participation. Instead of trying to score a goal through a little slot to win some SUV......fans can take shots at the derriers of Bryan McCabe, Markus Naslund, Jay McKee, Ted Saskin-Robbins 39 Flavors, former Commissioners Bettman and Clarence Campbell, the Prince of Wales Big Ears, Camilla Barkey Bowles. The fan of the night gets to give a WWEF piledriver to Bob Goodenow...right into the ice.

Beer prices will dropped and sales will be encouraged. Littering the ice will be encouraged as the disdain for the players needs to be vented by fans. This process will be curtailed slowly until it is dropped in 2010.

There may be one more thing......

:lol

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
eSabre said:
Other Changes
-Each team will be in action on every Saturday night at 7:00 local time
-National TV contract will be sought to show games, with local broadcasts of home teams at 7:00 and 10:00 ET on network TV (like NFL on Sundays, but with national coverage like HNIC)

Why don't you expand your coverage on Saturdays. You can have double headers on Saturday with games at 1 and 4, nationally on network TV, and then still have HNIC at 7 and 10. People go out a lot of the time on Saturday and can't always watch hockey. You need to accodate to as many people as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad