Your favourite unsung hero

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
We haven't gone through this one in a while, so who are some of your favorite lesser lights over the years.

I love Buchberger, and was a big Bill Derlago fan back in the day when it was the Leafs on CBC most Saturdays. I loved gaston Gingras big slapshot, too. Who conjures up fond memories for you guys?

Roger's Pancreas*

Shjon Podein and Scott Mellanby. They weren't the best players by any stretch of the imagination, but you have to admire how hard they played every single night.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
I don't know if he's really "unsung", but Adam Graves played with the heart of a lion, night in night out.

And he was a better person off the ice than on, just a classy individual all around. He's the perfect role model for all young kids.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Doug Lidster.

He played a significant part in defeating his old team to take home the Cup in the 1994 Rangers winning Finals. Completely overshadowed, sad really.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
For the Pens, I always liked the gritty supporting cast they had in the cup years. Guys like Phil Bourque, Peter Taglinetti, Bob Errey, and Troy Loney.

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
Derek Sanderson, because I think he is remembered more for his controversial nature than his play but he was the best defensive forward of his day.

trevchar1971

Jun 1, 2006
From the Habs of yesteryear:

Yvon Lambert - I think he must have the best GWG/Goal ratio ever
Brian Skrudland
Mike Mcphee
Brent Gilchrist
Mario Tremblay
Doug Risebrough

This is the 1st name that came to mind when I read the beginning of the thread ......:handclap:
Also Jim Peplinski, Bob Bourne, Rick Green.:handclap:

V-2 Schneider

Mar 8, 2004
Jimmy Roberts never gets a mention, but he played a solid role for both St Louis and the Habs '70's team.

Claude Larose deserves a shout out.He had a fine hands and was tough along the boards.

According to more than a few oldtimers Terry Harper is the poster boy here. Rarely scored, couldn't fight. But he was tenacious and you simply could not beat him one on one.

A few others:

Doug Jarvis- overshadowed by Bob Gainey, but a great defensive player, good faceoff man and the guy just laced up night after night after night after night. Ironman.

Craig Ludwig- goalies best friend. Blocked shots, cleared rebounds, put opposing forwards on their butts.

Dave Hunter/Dave Lumley- great checkers on a team more known for offence than defence

Andy Moog- really, really good numbers and a long career for a goalie that small. Was actually the guy for some the Oilers biggest wins when a lot of fans think it was Fuhr, and his best seasons came after he left Edmonton for Boston.

Ken Linseman- guy could do anything. Fast hard-nosed forechecking? Yep. Chip in goals? Yep. Win big faceoffs? Yep. Drive opponents nuts? Yup. Shut down opposition skill guys? Yup.

Ofuzz

Jul 11, 2006
Haaaaaaarold.......

This is a good subject because most of our favourite players aren't neccesarily the stars because they don't command the big free agent buck$$$, they tend to stay with our team a little longer than most. My favs.......

#27-Harold Snepts. Worked his *** off. Wasn't on the ice for many goals against. And didn't really need to wear a helmut because there weren't too many players silly enough to pick a fight with him.

#30- Rogie Vachon. If you were ever lucky enough to see this "elf" play goal, you'll know what I'm talking about. Covered barely a third of the net, never gave up on a shot, and when he stoned a guy on a breakaway he had that great mask that was laughing back at the shooter. Can't believe he's not in the Hall.

#12-Stan Smyl. See above (Harold) although he did wear a helmut, not too many players wanted to be embarrased by the Steamer when the gloves came off.Was the last player in the league to lead his team in goals,assists,points and penalty minutes all in the same season.

#30- Ron Low. I remember the Capitals disaster first season when Low had an average of (5.45 I think). He would lose 8-1 and his team would swarm him after a game thanking him for keeping it 'close'. Usually had 45 shots per game on him.

Finally my favourite......#16 Trevor Linden. I can't remember him ever giving less than a full effort, even in trying times (the last couple of seasons). A class act and quiet leader.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Jimmy Roberts never gets a mention, but he played a solid role for both St Louis and the Habs '70's team.

Claude Larose deserves a shout out.He had a fine hands and was tough along the boards.
Don't mention Claude Larose, Classic Hockey hates him.

My favorite players have always been those guys. Fergy,McPhee,Keane, Tremblay-Risebrough-Lambert may have been my favorite line of all time.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
Some great names in here.

My vote will always go to Thomas Steen. Worked his arse off every night. Could have been a #1 center on most teams in the league, but never complained about his ice time. Spent his whole career with one team. Class act on and off the ice.

Honourable mention to Randy Cunneyworth, too. I have a feeling he'll be the next great NHL head coach.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
Devils fan - Jay Pandolfo. One of the most solid defensive players in the NHL.

Jeff Beukeboom. Grew up watching MSG so I saw a lot of this guy. Made an incredible defensive pairing with Brian Leetch. Always hated watching the Devils/Rags games and seeing those two on the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->