Your favorite voices on tv and radio who brought/bring you the game!

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Lloyd Petit followed by Pat Foley, 50 years of Blackhawks announcing greats, thank you gentlemen.
Oh yeah, I love Pat Foley! I don't follow the Blackhawks as such, but I love to hear the highlights of Foley's calls and the odd game I've seen is a treat. He just seems like a really nice, fair guy.

Mandar

The Real Maven
Sep 27, 2013
The Tarheel State
Before Sam Rosen and John Davidson were the Rangers announcers, there was Jim Gordon and Bill (the "Big Whistle") Chadwick. Jim had a great voice and was a wonderful straight man for Chadwick (who mispronounced so many names, it was too funny). Can anyone post a few videos of these guys at their best?

Reactions: SealsFan

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I have a strong preference for the Atlantic voices, Cole and Gallivan. Edge to Cole due to having heard him far more often. Gallivan was a great guy though.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Joe Bowen and Bob Cole as a Leaf fan.

I know this maybe doesn't belong, but Tom Cheek and Jerry Howarth were the soundtrack of my youth listening to Jays games on the radio.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Here in Boston we were blessed. We had the great Fred Cusick and Johnny Pierson on TV and the equally great Bob Wilson on radio. These guys were just fantastic. That was my childhood

^^
And there I was wondering "Where's Fenway on this thread??"

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: Fenway

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Spoiled as a youngster. Danny Gallivan, Rene Lecavalier, Michel Normandin in Montreal. Foster and BillHewitt out of Toronto.

Ya I envied you guys in Montreal.... Class of the League with Danny Gallivan & Rene' Lecavalier.... I wasnt big on Bill Hewitt in Toronto though in his defence, big shoes to fill..... A little off topic as he wasnt a television or radio announcer, an announcer (PA at Maple Leaf Gardens) none the less... and that would be Paul Morris who worked the Gardens & games from 1961-1999; absolutely terrific. Great voice, very even, "just the facts M'am" type delivery, a bit deadpan like Sgt Joe Friday... Morris having a very warm & likable lilt, strength in his timbre.

Reactions: Chili

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Would Haynes have been the guy for the Osgood/Roy fight that said a ton of those "a right by Roy, a right by Roy, a right by Roy"? I read something one time that McNab said when describing a fight Haynes would be throwing the punches in the air and you'd see his tie swinging back and forth! lol that's awesome!

That's definitely Haynes - Kelly was awesome, but not really known for his fight calls IMO.

Double

Feb 14, 2008
Growing up in suburban Minneapolis, the ONLY voice of the Minnesota North Stars, the great Al Shaver, was THE sound of hockey to me. Al worked with a color analyst on home games (Tom Reid was always my favorite) but called the action solo when the North Stars were on the road. North Stars fans were so lucky to have Big Al on the call. For many, many seasons only about 25 North Stars road games and zero home games were televised locally. But they were all on the radio, and Mr. Al Shaver was a welcome guest in my house on many a cold winter evening. Listening to his calls of my favorite hockey team is one of my favorite childhood memories.

Had the opportunity to chat with Al on my podcast from back in 2015. Wonderfully warm man, still has the pipes and still razor sharp:
*Special* Wild Xtra’s 5MM Podcast - Al Shaver — The 5 Minute Major Podcast — Overcast

During this chat, Al mentioned to me that when Foster Hewitt first started broadcasting Leafs games on the radio, the broadcast would start at the beginning of the second period. Maple Leaf management did not want to do anything that would discourage the ticket-buying public from paying to see the game in person.

Reactions: SealsFan

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Ya I envied you guys in Montreal.... Class of the League with Danny Gallivan & Rene' Lecavalier.... I wasnt big on Bill Hewitt in Toronto though in his defence, big shoes to fill..... A little off topic as he wasnt a television or radio announcer, an announcer (PA at Maple Leaf Gardens) none the less... and that would be Paul Morris who worked the Gardens & games from 1961-1999; absolutely terrific. Great voice, very even, "just the facts M'am" type delivery, a bit deadpan like Sgt Joe Friday... Morris having a very warm & likable lilt, strength in his timbre.

Paul Morris was the best, very distinctive, great voice.

Reactions: Fenway and Killion

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Lloyd was the best. Listening to the radio under the covers hearing Lloyd paint the picture. He later married the heir to the Bradley fortune and brought pro hockey to Milwaukee.

The voice, the names and the memories... my childhood. I sit here misty and with goosebumps.

Thank you for sharing.

Reactions: Killion

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Hey everyone,

I wanted to ask your opinions & maybe learn some new famous names/voices that have brought us NHL action through the years....maybe learn about some people from teams/cities I don't know a whole lot about.

Here in Detroit, we've had the luxury of Ken Daniels and Mickey Redmond on the TV side. Mickey is really colorful and enjoyable and we are pretty blessed! Some others I've heard of (and correct me if I have the wrong association please). The recently retired Bob Miller for the LA Kings on the tv side for many years....Rick Jeanneret for the Buffalo Sabres (TV), Bob Cole and Harry Neale obviously for the Leafs (TV), Mike Lang for the Pittsburgh Penguins (TV), I want to say that Doc Emerick specifically was local for the Devils before doing the national broadcasts? (if I can get verification on that). Pat Foley and Dale Tallon for the Hawks (TV) (a remember a distinct "Hawks Win! Hawks Win!") There was a Randy someone who did Shark telecasts that seemed to be distinct. Joe Bowen for the Leafs, help on this guys, would he have been TV during the "weekday" games then for the Leafs? The Avs had Mike Haynes and Peter McNab (I believe TV but if I can get a confirmation). The Bruins had a guy with like a distinct voice (I've heard on youtube a same sounding voice of goals called from Cam Neely tributes etc). Look forward to your thoughts *thumbs up*-Jim

The Bruins had a guy with like a distinct voice (I've heard on youtube a same sounding voice of goals called from Cam Neely tributes etc).

That would be Fred Cusick, long time Bruins homer.

Darryl Reaugh is probably my favorite color man.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Never liked Hughson. Found him too robotic

Really enjoyed Emerick and Thorne

All time favorite is probably Chris Cuthbert.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
Jiggs Mcdonald & Eddie Westfall for the Islanders were a good pair, Jiggs I think later went on to call games for the Panthers.
John Davidson always brought good knowledge and I always enjoyed listening to him and Sam Rosen for the Ranger games on MSG.
My favorite though is Gary Thorne. Yeah he would mispronounce a few names, but the guy always made the games seem more exciting than they sometimes were. He was great.

I had a friend who taped an Islander/Nordiques game for me once and it had Jiggs McDonald as the announcer and I absolutely loved Jiggs. Thought he was great. Only time I got to hear his work but I liked him a lot.

Reactions: brachyrynchos

member 83027

Not a shot or downplaying the greatness of Danny Gallivan but I am sure happy he turned down the St Louis Blues job. Of course after he turned it down the Blues turned to Dan Kelly.

My favorite St Louis Blues of all time.

Double

Feb 14, 2008
I really like Cuthbert too. Great voice, seems like a nice guy.
Cuthbert is outstanding, one of my all-time faves. He even announced the Minnesota State High School Hockey Tournament in the late '80s / early '90s. So cool to have such a big-time voice calling The Tourney.

I can also speak to how nice he is. Was kind enough to appear on another episode of my podcast. Wonderfully nice gentleman, kind, and beyond humble. Can't say enough about him personally or professionally.

Jim MacDonald

Oct 7, 2017
The Bruins had a guy with like a distinct voice (I've heard on youtube a same sounding voice of goals called from Cam Neely tributes etc).

That would be Fred Cusick, long time Bruins homer.

Darryl Reaugh is probably my favorite color man.

Thank you Mr. Bonvie!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad