Your favorite/most disliked faces/heels

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Favorite

Face: CM Punk got me watching wrestling again for a hot minute after the pipe bomb. The guy literally broke 4th wall every few minutes and didn't care and there was times where I wondered if he just didn't ad lib everything. His wrestling was simply electrifying. 2006 Kurt Angle was another one for me and despite the fact super serious wrestling machine Angle might've been his worst incarnation of a babyface ever, he was a great replacement for Batista and he carried the Smackdown brand on his back like he never left.

Heel: Randy freaking Orton for all those years. The legend killer, the guy who was gonna kill the Undertaker at Mania and in real life. The sick SOB and his legacy cult following was the stuff of pure brilliance. I was there at Raw 800 in my Orton shirt and marked out like a child seeing Hulk Hogan when he kicked DiBiase in the head.

Honorable mention to the face that runs the place AJ Styles. The man so good they cheered him anyway

God how I miss it

Most disliked

Face: I do not care for Blandy Borton at all. He's not engaged. He's not exciting. He's sure as hell no the guy I remember. Please do the right thing WWE and turn him heel. I loved John Cena for the first couple of years and then Super Cena just wore me out. Never truly hated the guy enough to say "Cena Sucks" just more like "Cena can you just go back to being interesting?" I gotta say Roman takes the cake here though. It's not a wonder why everyone boos the guy. I don't have anything personal against Joe Anoa'i the man. He busts his ass night after night to be the best and the entire locker room seemingly adores him to no end. But his booking is easily some of the worst I've ever seen. I've peeked from time to time and see he eliminated Strowman after Strowman eliminated everyone else in the chamber? LMFAO! Get out of here!

Heel: God there's a lot of them but not in the sense that the heel does their job. Like for example I don't like Miz but that's because I think he's obnoxious. For me it's gotta be Brock Lesnar 2003. Here you have a guy that was a legitimate unstoppable badass in the Goldberg mold. I mean I get on Roman for super man booking but BAH GAWD KING. Lesnar was even worse. But people loved him. Then he turns into this sniveling gremlin for McMahon just weeks after feuding with the guy, befriends his worst enemy in Big Show (cuz WWE don't expect you to remember) and goes from a juggernaut to someone who taps out every other match and can't even freaking beat Angle clean after spending months plowing through him, Haas and Benjamin. I'm pretty sure the only guys he beat clean that whole time were Shannon Moore, Zach Gowen and Brian Kendrick. Oh and he talked way... way too much for a monster.

Edit: that's right he didn't even beat the lightweights, he got himself DQ'd

Your thoughts?

Reactions: CHGoalie27

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Favorite face: Daniel Bryan - none more likable. Also throwing Bret Hart here. In the 90s I don't think there was a more likable face as a kid. Putting sunglasses on kids. Come on. That was a dream for all of us kids watching wrestling in the 90s.

Favorite heel: Jericho - finds new ways to get hate. HBK, too, because he could elevate to whole new levels when he was a heel. He could be arrogant. He could be a miz-type heel. He could do so much.

Disliked face: I'll go with Reigns. I think he'd be an incredible heel. But he's a brutal face.

Disliked heel: Mahal or any heel that specifically uses a country as a reason to be a heel. Could never stand it. Also will throw Big Show in here. I do not care for big wrestlers who cannot move.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Most Liked Face: Shawn Michaels - my favourite wrestler.

Most Liked Heel: Shawn Michaels - still my favourite wrestler.

Most Disliked Face: The Patriot - I can't even explain why I hated (hate) him so much.

Most Disliked Heel: HHH - no issue with early editions of HHH, but the HHH of 2003-2005 was enough to induce me to turn the channel. Heels need to get their comeuppance at some point, not deliver 20 minute soliloquies every week and ruin storylines by never losing or making opponents look good.

Last edited:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Favourite Face: Does CM Punk really count here? If so, then I'll go with him. Honourable mention to Stone Cold.

Favourite Heel: The Rock, whether it was Nation Rock, Corporate Rock, or Hollywood Rock, the man could do no wrong as a heel. I always thought he was way, way better as a heel than as a babyface, and he was damn good as a babyface. Honourable mention to The Legend Killer, Randy Orton. That gimmick SHOULD have continued to live on and logically speaking, if anyone should have ended Undertaker's streak it should have been Orton but only a few years later if he maintained the Legend Killer gimmick. Unfortunately he didn't.

Most Disliked Face: Roman Reigns, simply because they shove him down our throats and refuse to acknowledge that his character is a failure. Honourable mention to John Cena from 2006-2015. Just horrid character development from Super Cena.

Most Disliked Heel: Big Show. Maybe it's because he has turned so damn much, but he isn't convincing at all as a heel.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I have a question for the Punk fans. Some of Punk's best work is a heel. He was a heel against Hardy. He was a heel in the SES. He was a heel against Cena. He wasn't a face until probably THAT night in Chicago (his hometown). Then when he came back he played a face. It wasn't as good as heel Punk.

So my question is - what do you guys call face Punk. Because his best work is definitely not as a face.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Honestly, now that I think about it I loved Punk more as a heel. I loved his SES stuff, I loved his pre and post pipe bomb stuff, and I lovedddddd his stuff with Heyman as the "disrespected" champion. I'd probably put him in the "Favourite Heel" category along with The Rock and Randy Orton.

Reactions: Fro and ColePens

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Fav Face: Warrior and nobody will ever take his place.
Fav Heel: while I want to say Punk, I have to remind myself who started the heel being a face thing ::Glass shatters::

Least Fav Face: Moolah is the only one I can think of off the top that had no reason to be glorified.
Least Fav Heel: Aside from when Hulkamania wasn't for the kids, Sheamus. I miss him running out to help anyone getting bombarded in the name of a good drink n fight! How can anyone not miss that??

Reactions: ColePens

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Favorite Heel: Rick Rude or Legend Killer Orton.
Favorite Face: Stone Cold

Least Favorite Heel: Jinder Mahal, he just sucks at everything.
Least Favorite Face: Hulk Hogan for me, never really liked the guy.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
I have a question for the Punk fans. Some of Punk's best work is a heel. He was a heel against Hardy. He was a heel in the SES. He was a heel against Cena. He wasn't a face until probably THAT night in Chicago (his hometown). Then when he came back he played a face. It wasn't as good as heel Punk.

So my question is - what do you guys call face Punk. Because his best work is definitely not as a face.

Punk was probably in full face mode during his feud with HHH/Nash after SummerSlam. That was some of his best work as a full-on face, which of course got ruined when HHH had to go over. After that, he was a pretty tame face, at least by Punk standards.

The majority of Punk's work was best when he was a heel. You could tell he LOVED being a heel.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I don't even think you can consider Punk or Stone Cold a face. You almost need to make an anti-hero category.

Best face is Daniel Bryan or Mick Foley. And by that I mean a legitimate face, being a good guy and not just being the guy the audience is scripted to cheer for. Punk and Stone Cold were not "Good guys". Bryan and Foley are guys that you can tell are just legitimately nice guys who it's hard to find something to hate about. I don't mind Cena, but I can see how he could have some less than stellar qualities. Hogan has always come across to me as a completely fake human being.

As far as heels go, it's hard to argue against Punk. Sure there are a lot of guys who pushed the envelope in the 90s, but that was when pushing the envelope was OK. Punk did it when it wasn't.

As far as longevity goes, Chris Jericho is like the Lidstrom or Jagr of wrestling. Somehow it seems he continues to get better even when he's way past his prime physically.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Favorite Face - none, I've always gravitated towards the heels

Favorte Heel - Hollywood Hogan all time / Hall of Pain Mark Henry more recently

Least Favorite face -HBK / Undertaker - never cared for either of them heel or face

Least Favorite heel - HBK / Undertaker - see above

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
Favorite Face: Stone Cold Steve Austin
Favorite Heel: Bret Hart

Least Favorite Face: Batista
Least Favorite Heel: Ryback

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
My favorite Face/Heel is Bret Hart and he was both at the same time, depending where the venue was.

Least favorite for both, is probably Cena, I've never been able to stand him in any role.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Favorite face: Austin
Favorite heel: tie between Flair and Razor
HM to Rude

Worst face: Hogan or Orton
Worst heel: Boss Man

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Favorite Face: Ricky Steamboat
Favorite Heel: Rick Rude

Most Disliked Face: Roman Reigns
Most Disliked Heel: Nia Jax

Perhaps it is simply recency bias, but I don't remember disliking a face/heel more than Reigns/Jax? Steamboat was incredibly inspiring as a lad, and I can still remember climbing up and jumping off of the headboard of my bed pretending to be Steamboat. Rude was 100% heel his entire career and never gave an inch in that regard. Glad to see him getting a lot of recognition here.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Favorite Face: Ricky Steamboat
Favorite Heel: Rick Rude

Most Disliked Face: Roman Reigns
Most Disliked Heel: Nia Jax

Perhaps it is simply recency bias, but I don't remember disliking a face/heel more than Reigns/Jax? Steamboat was incredibly inspiring as a lad, and I can still remember climbing up and jumping off of the headboard of my bed pretending to be Steamboat. Rude was 100% heel his entire career and never gave an inch in that regard. Glad to see him getting a lot of recognition here.
Lol Nia Jax is definitely up there for me, too. She's awful. Then again, I could also put Naomi as worst babyface because I think she's one of the worst talents in the history of wrestling.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Lol Nia Jax is definitely up there for me, too. She's awful. Then again, I could also put Naomi as worst babyface because I think she's one of the worst talents in the history of wrestling.

Yeah, I tried to use "good/bad at being a face/heel" as one of the top criteria. I suppose it could be argued that Nia is good at being hated, but that itself has way more to do with her inability at...well...almost everything. Re: the exact opposite of skill/talent.

Last edited:

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Face or heel, and this may be unpopular but I don't care, Savage. Never liked Savage, especially when he was a heel. I've changed my opinion on a lot of guys I didn't like years ago, but he's one I doubt I'll ever change my mind on.

I'll go one more and say the same for Cena. I actually disliked him more as a heel with all that hip hop nonsense more than I disliked him as a face.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
I can't tell if Triple H is my favorite heel or most disliked heel.

I remember legit hating him back during his big solo heel run in the Attitude Era and I feel like he was doing his job as a heel, but I also would have been happy to not see him every week. He was good at getting you to hate him, but he also didn't lose a whole lot during this run (he beat Foley a lot during this time and was the first heel to retain the WWF Title at Wrestlemania in 2000, IIRC) which just increased my desire to see him lose and go away for awhile.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
I couldn't stand HHH after he left DX and it was more than him just being a good heel.

I always hated Edge to for no reason whatsoever, face or heel. One of my friends was huge Angle mark so that made me hate him lol.

Favorites off the top of my head, I'm sure I'm forgetting some:

Face: SCSA, RVD

Heel: Hollywood Rock, Jericho, Dudleys, Rapper Cena, Punk, Miz.

Most guys I just liked/disliked regardless if they were face or heel.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
Favorite Face - The Undertaker
Favorite Heel - The Rock. Chris Jericho a close second.

Least Favorite Face - Brock Lesnar
Least Favorite Heel - Kevin Owens. That's actually a compliment because he's so damn good at his role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad