Your Definition of a Bust?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
A bust in my eyes is a highly touted player who never reaches the NHL, or is thought to become a superstar and becomes a grinder.

Rather Gingerly 1*

Buffaloed said:
This word gets thrown around enough, and I'm not talking about Pamela Anderson, but it means different things to different people. How do you define a bust? Is it simply defined by whether a player plays for a certain time in the NHL? Does it depend on where the player was drafted? A high 1st round pick who only makes it as a 3rd liner could be considered a bust by some, and not by others. Are there different kinds of busts? For example, Olli Jokinen was a bust as a draft pick, but I don't consider him a bust as a player.

A high pick with a lot of hype who doesn't live up to his expectations. Players like Daigle, Bonsignore, etc.... I consider even a player like Brian Lawton a lesser bust.

Rather Gingerly 1*

ProctorSilex said:
I have an itching feeling Crosby will bust.

I don't think he will be as good as people think but he will be as good as Forsberg, etc....Some think he is the next Gretzky or Lemieux.

High end Lafleur....low end Forsberg in my opinion.

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
True definition of bust :D :D
shvidki4mx.jpg

PS Was posted before. Just refresh.

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
JayzinSmith said:
Yak signed in Russia only because he doesn't have an NHL contract for next season. If he re-signs, then he stays over here. His contract w/ Spartak Moscow is a "just in case" type of thing.

Dale Tallon said Yakubov was going to play in Europe this year, its on the q&a on the Hawks official team site. I guess Yakubov was upset about being benched for the playoffs in Norfolk last year. If thats the case he becomes another Hawk first round bust.

FROM THE HAWK SITE:
Tamás (Budapest, Hungary): Hi, Mr. Tallon! Yakubov and Vorobiev are very smart players. Where will they play the next season? Blackhawks or Admirals?

Dale Tallon: Yakubov looks like he is going to play in Russia next year, but Vorobiev is going to come to Blackhawks training camp and worst-case scenario he'll play in Norfolk.

Last edited:

MePutPuckInNet

Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
My definition of a bust [in reference to hockey, of course ;) ]:

A player that fails to perform up to the level of his skills and physical ability because he withholds himself emotionally from reaching his maximum.

In my opinion, there's no player more frustrating to watch than a player who seems to possess all of the tools of the trade, but doesn't EXTEND himself. And not because he can not, but because he will not.

example: Jaromir Jagr - I've always considered him to be a bust. Not because he can't play the game. He had a few good seasons at the beginning of his career. But, it's always seemed to me that he could do MORE. He could have been even better, but he just didn't seem to WANT it.

another example of a "bust in the making": Pierre-Marc Bouchard. Not officially a bust in my opinion, he's still really young and I'm hoping he'll really "bust out" ;) . But IF he never does, I believe it will be because he just doesn't WANT to badly enough.

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
Matt MacInnis said:
A bust is a player who failed to consistently make an NHL team.

There is a big difference between being a bust and not living up to expectations, but there seem to be many posters that don't understand that, which is a major problem for assessing players.

I see things differently.

When I think of a bust, I think of someone who fell well short of expectations when all was said and done.

If a bust meant someone who can not crack the NHL, then Alexandre Daigle wouldn't be considered a bust, and someone like Peter Sarno (a solid AHL player picked in the 6th round) would be, despite not being expected to be an NHL player.

Bruins4Ever

Sep 12, 2004
Caledonia, Ontario
To me a bust is someone who had the potential to be great, but fell far short of expectations. They had the chance to become a great hockey player, but for either physical, personal, or emotional reasons they didn't live up to the hype or expectations others put on them.

GB

Mar 6, 2002
UK
ProctorSilex said:
Well said. Blaine Lacher was more of a bust than Jim Carey who never did get another fair shake.
I'm not sure I'd call Lacher a bust either, nothing was really expected of him was it? IIRC he was an undrafted FA who made the team un-expectadley but never lived up to expectations again. I'd call him another one hit wonder, so I suppose to me a bust is someone who doesn't live up to pre-draft expectations or is drafted early and never plays.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
MePutPuckInNet said:
]

example: Jaromir Jagr - I've always considered him to be a bust. Not because he can't play the game. He had a few good seasons at the beginning of his career. But, it's always seemed to me that he could do MORE. He could have been even better, but he just didn't seem to WANT it.

This is sarcasm, right?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
MePutPuckInNet said:

You must have been in a coma for the entire 1990s.

He had more than 'a few good seasons at the beginning of his career'. The guy won five scoring titles and was hands down the best forward in hockey in the mid-late 1990s. To call Jagr a bust is one of the strangest things I've ever read ... you're taking your impressions of his last 2 or 3 seasons and superimposing them over his entire career.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
MS said:
You must have been in a coma for the entire 1990s.

He had more than 'a few good seasons at the beginning of his career'. The guy won five scoring titles and was hands down the best forward in hockey in the mid-late 1990s. To call Jagr a bust is one of the strangest things I've ever read ... you're taking your impressions of his last 2 or 3 seasons and superimposing them over his entire career.
I wouldn't go near calling Jágr a bust.... But he did all that without even going as high as he can go.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
MePutPuckInNet said:

You fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad