Your Darkhorse Picks

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Thread we normally do in the off-season but I haven't seen come up yet.

Please limit to players picked round 4-7, F-D-HM

Mine

F- Torn here between Brooks and Chebykin. I'll go with Brooks. He seems like a guy that's been hugely underrated for the last 3 years, primarily due to silly draft related stigmas/ rules of thumb(getting passed over after U-18, getting sent back for an overage year. I expect him to seize top 6/9 minutes with the Marlies and put up 50 points, I would not be surprised if he pulls a Kevin Labanc, sets the A on fire and shoots up our call-up list.

(Also, I know that he technically could be seen as breaking the round 4-7 rule as pick 92 is now a 3rd rounder, so sue me haha)

D-Middleton. I think it's safe to call him the boards least favourite pick from last year but I think that he just keeps trending upwards and makes some noise this year starting at the rookie tourney. I was pleasantly surprised with his mobility last year, and apparently it's come a long way. Seems like a great kid, and really raw coming out of a rural program. I think this year he becomes known as one of the top shutdown defenders in the CHL. Fun little tidbit, check out how low his PIM's are for a "fridge on skates" handling shutdown minutes on a low scoring team, while still staying in the + column. Kid can defend without being forced to cheat

Edit HM- Macgregor/Gordeev. Seems like gut hail mary picks by Hunter and the staff. They think that they have a lot more to give to justify the picks, we'll see pretty quickly

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
Forward: Ryan McGregor (#172)

Dman: Fedor Gordeev(#141)

HM- Vladislav Kara (#124)

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
F: Engvall
D: Middleton
HM: Bobylev (really close between him and Engvall)

Middleton is probably the biggest darkhorse guy we have. Astounding how much people hate the pick when it was possibly a steal. He plays the old-school game with the new-school elements you need to be successful.

stymie

Oct 15, 2014
F- Dakota Joshua (2014 #128)
D- Fedor Gordeev (2017 #141)
HM- Nick Chebykin (2016 #182)

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Dakota Joshua - PPG as a sophomore, huge kid, good hands, not a great skater unfortunately
Andreas Johnsson - good rookie AHL season, held back by breathing issues until finding the right treatment

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
For me, it's Ostap Safin ( forward) and Jacob Paquette (D).

The former is well-built, 6'4, strong skater, agile and has excellent later mobility. Consistency is a problem as he has natural offensive ability, but when he's on, he looks like top six guy. All of his physical and intellectual attributes tells me that you can develop him into a top line, glue guy that does the dirty work in traffic while potting in goals. This is someone McDavid would love if everything goes well.

As for the latter, he's about controlled physicality. He was the one logging defensive zone minutes in Kingston. Really mobile, strong lateral movement, a true crease cleaner while not exactly mean, but that's understandable seeing that the NHL has really "Europeanized". You're really not going to many **** stirrers in the NHL especially around privileged areas. Simply put, he's the modern, puck-stabilizing, defensive defenseman that can contain the top guys that tend to do a lot of work and bleed defenseman behind the net. Nashville, once again, did a solid job here.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
F: Brooks (Agree with the draft-related stigma theory...has shown nothing but progress since then.... trajectory looks good)

D: Gordeev (A monster who can skate well....that's half the battle)

HM: Middleton (Like what I saw last year...is there still a role for such a player these days?)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad