OT: Your Board Activity/Introduce Yo'self

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
I have been noticing that we have quite a diverse group of Caps fans on HF. Some post only in GDTs, some stay on the main boards, some can't stand the main boards, some love the Lounge, and some couldn't find the Lounge if it was their homepage. I thought it would be interesting to see how many posters or lurkers we have that use HF in different ways. Please do not take the poll answers the wrong way, as this should be fun. Feel free to introduce yourself or provide explanation in any way that you would like.

For me:
I am a hockey fan that prides himself on being a Caps fan from birth (My father still blames me for missing the Easter Epic due to my birthday). I like all of the DC sports teams because I was born here and live here, so why would I root for the Yankees. MD>VA. I played hockey competitively from age 4 to 21 mostly throughout the DC area and in college until I suffered a career ending injury. I mainly post on the Caps boards, sometimes refrain from posting in GDTs, and love to give the benefit of the doubt. I don't like to post on the main boards too often, but just when I thought I was out, they pulled me back in.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I'll add a comma to the poll option I selected:

I posted so, well, they made me a moderator.

I spend most of my time reading, really, and don't actually post all that frequently despite having a decent number of posts. Comes with the territory, I guess. My goal for this board is to make it a place where all Caps fans can come for friendly discussion. More specifically, we have very little traffic compared to other boards from similar size markets.

I've only been a Caps fan a few years (5 years as a season ticket holder, plus one before that). I grew up in hockey wasteland Portland, OR, where the only time I heard of hockey was that one kid in my grade played for the Junior Winterhawks. I learned a little more about hockey in high school when my group of friends became Red Wings fans for whatever reason. Most of my early exposure to hockey came through NHL '94 for the Sega Genesis, and then NHL '99 for the Nintendo 64.

I learned to skate when I went to college at Colorado College (at the same time as Hillen, Crabb, McElhinney, Stuart - had some fun times with the hockey guys). The team had just stopped using the school rink for practices so basically every ice slot was open skate. Now I'm up to 4 rec league teams locally, 3 as a skater and 1 as a goalie.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

moosii

Sep 24, 2014
Being from the UK, where hockey doesn't really exist, I managed discover the sport courtesy of NHL '08 on the PS3. I borrowed the game from a mate (he had never played it himself) as I had spent all my money buying the console and got bored of COD rather quickly.

Knowing nothing about hockey I dived into the game and discovered that I sucked at it. I started a franchise mode (may have been called dynasty mode) as the Cannucks as I liked their name and straight away traded away the Sedin's and all the draft picks for the highest rated players I could find.

A few hours later and I still sucked and was only able to score when controlling this guy named Ovechkin. It dawned on me that he must be really good in real life if I was able to score with so I headed over to Youtube, typed in "Ovechkin" and then proceeded to spend hours watching the same highlight montages over and over.

From that point I was completely hooked on hockey, and the Caps and the only games I don't stay up to watch are the Western Canada matches as they don't start until 3am UK time.

As for my HF contributions; I lurk pretty much daily in here, but rarely bother posting.

For anyone that has reached this point of my first novel I apologise for the wall of text, but I've got an hour and a half to kill before the game starts.

Reactions: Praetorian Caps

foundhockey

Apr 29, 2012
Georgia, USA
I'm another fan who found hockey through Ovechkin highlight montages on YouTube. I've been a fan for 4 years now.

I watch all Caps games and a good deal of other Eastern teams even when they don't play the Caps. This was a huge change in my life -- I have never been a sports fan before the Caps. I'm emotionally invested! When these guys win the cup I will cry and cry.

My newfound love of hockey inspired me to learn to skate. Now my family and I skate every week. (Not bad for a 40+ year old learning a new physical skill!)

Anyway, I love this board, negative posters and all because I know we all love the Caps even when they frustrate us.

mitchdisaster

Threadkiller
Jan 30, 2007
The Superheater
Been a caps fan since the mid 80's when I was a kid. Veteran of the OLD caps team board, lurk on another caps forum that will remain nameless. Probably met some you you guys when PCOI used to get together for the monthly games and Dave Fay events. Season ticket holder since 2005, dad had 10 game plan throughout the 90's.

Been a member here longer than a lot of the caps posters here, just choose to stay quiet. I go through spurts where I post in GDT's, but mostly I just like to read what you guys post. We do have some really intelligent posters, some decent arguments and good insights and scouting reporters on here.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I'm another fan who found hockey through Ovechkin highlight montages on YouTube. I've been a fan for 4 years now.

I watch all Caps games and a good deal of other Eastern teams even when they don't play the Caps. This was a huge change in my life -- I have never been a sports fan before the Caps. I'm emotionally invested! When these guys win the cup I will cry and cry.

My newfound love of hockey inspired me to learn to skate. Now my family and I skate every week. (Not bad for a 40+ year old learning a new physical skill!)

Anyway, I love this board, negative posters and all because I know we all love the Caps even when they frustrate us.

You always make me feel better about my Caps habit! :handclap:

Lifelong fan. Occasional skater. Regular poster.

I love this board because I live far from the Caps and my dad who taught me to love the game and because my husband is a haole from Honolulu who couldn't care less about winter sports. Talking about the games in real time makes my hockey watching less lonely and more fun!

Picked options 6, 8, and 11.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Grew up as a Whalers fan while living in CT (Save the Whale!!!). Moved to MD when I was 12, and went through hockey fan wilderness for two years. Tried rooting for the Rangers (both sides of my family are from NY) but that was puke, and tried rooting for the Canes and that was also puke. My travel team's home rink was Piney Orchard where the Caps practiced and the Caps were really cool guys, especially Bonzai, so I grew to follow them. The Stanley Cup run sealed it for me. Always been a Redskins fan thanks to my mom (and a Jets fan thanks to my Dad -- more puke), and I've grown on the Wizards since I moved here too, so DC sports through and through. I was a Redskins season ticket holder until a month ago, but **** that noise.

I found this board in 2008, didn't post much, and try to stay here and on the Trade Rumors thread. I find this place to be incredibly helpful and entertaining. It's nice to talk hockey with people who know their ****. I play in a few leagues, one at Mt Vernon and the other with the local military team.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
I turn 18 in a week and have been a Caps fan since 2004, so over half of my life has been spent feeling disappointed, unfortunately.

The reason I became a Caps fan is because of my first hockey video game, NHL 2000 for the PC. I was pretty young at the time and didn't have any skill at video games aside from the Nintendo 64, so when I first played NHL 2000, I lost badly each time. I played as the Mighty Ducks the first game and lost horribly, and with each loss I moved down the team list alphabetically. Of course, playing all these games made me gain just enough skill so that by the time I got down to the very last team, the Washington Capitals, I finally won a game. Love at first win. Didn't really start following them closely until around the start of the 2006-07 season, though.

I never actually played real ice hockey but I was pretty decent at skating and was good at floor hockey, so that's good enough for me. In Canada, it doesn't matter how much hockey you play, you just become attached to the game no matter what.

Also, I enjoy posting the most when someone says dumb things.

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
I grew up in Vienna and have been a Caps fan since the early 80's. My family is more into football and basketball so I had to sneak away to watch hockey when I could - it was kind of my guilty pleasure growing up. My dad and I had season tickets (front row) to the Bullets in high school and I never missed a game - but I hardly got to go to any hockey games. During college (JMU) I became a much bigger and more frustrated fan.

I finally bought season tickets when we moved to the MCI Center and made 38-40 games each year. Most of which with an empty and paid for seat next to me. Exceptions were the Rangers, Flyers and Penguins - I always had friends who would nab my extra seat and go. I moved into the lower bowl in '99 and sat 5 rows directly behind Kolzig for a couple of years.

Moved to San Diego in 2001 and within a week of getting here we traded for Jagr. I thought he would finally win us a Cup. That was before I realized what a piece of **** he really is.

I record and watch every game after work and dinner - which usually means I don't usually start watching until after the game is done. That means I can't join the GDT's unless it's on a weekend - but even then my 1 year old son sometimes makes it tough to watch in real time.

I used to post a lot in the rec.sports.nhl usenet group and I used to play in Jeff Thompson's fantasy league. I also used to send Leonsis a lot of drunk emails. I've calmed down a lot since then.

I hope you guys are enjoying the game and that we're winning. It's time for me to go home from work, pick up my son and make dinner. I'll be watching what you're watching in a few hours.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I used to post on the HF trade boards back in 99-2000 as Caps92 and on the old ESPN forums as Caps92. I quit using message boards after ESPN forum died out and most went the Caps official site. This forum really boomed from the 99 season. Back then a lot of Islander posters. Good bunch of folks and some old posters here. I mostly post on the GDTs and historical hockey threads. Been a fan of the Caps since the 80s. Had a prodigy account in the early 90s while in high school and college. I chose the I hate Mike Milbury :).

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I think I have an unhealthy addiction to this board, since Ovi came into the league.

Almost cured by McPhee & Oates, but it's back.

Help!

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Grew up in Maryland in a non-hockey-watching family. Started watching/listening to the Caps when I could when I was around 12, I think. It was a few years before the Finals run.

Went to college in the south and joined this board because I had no one to talk to down there about the Ovechkin draft.

Moved back to the area after college (first with the parents in MD and then on my own in NoVa) and got season tickets when I was financially stable enough to afford the expense. Pretty sure it was the season after we lost to the Flyers in the first round, so that would make this my seventh season.

HOLDITHERE*

Born and raised in Baltimore, where we had...Cal Ripken. And the Orioles. So I liked baseball. Was always a Cowboys fan as a child, and like anything Texas because of it. I saw the most gorgeous sports jersey I'd ever seen, and decided I was a Stars fan. Modano soon became my hero. I only really watched casually, as I obivously didn't get 82 Dallas games in MD. Mainly watched highlight VHS tapes, and rare televised games. Years later I really wanted to get back into hockey and noticed most Caps games were being televised. I never really gave them much of a chance when I was younger, as I hated the Redskins. I figured even watching a bunch of games of a ****** team would show me the other 30 teams in the league, and the few I'd never even heard of.

The next season, the Caps drafted Alex Ovechkin. Watced all 82, and haven't missed very many since. So in a sense, Ovi made me a real hockey fan.

I don't come on this board very often, as it's just so negative. I watch because I enjoy it. I get annoyed at times, but to me, hockey is fun. I mainly visit the Caps board when someone happens, or if I want to discuss something specific. I don't visit most GDT's, and I'd say I visit the board about once a week or so.

donosaur

Nov 28, 2011
Longtime lurker in CA.
4z8K1MS.gif

Watched hockey a lot as a kid, but stopped for whatever reason. On a whim in 2010 I googled who the best current hockey player was and saw Ovi's highlights. I didn't get to watch the run and gun days, but I was still hooked on the caps ever since and have never missed watching a game.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Caps fan since late 70's. Grew up in Rockville. College in New Hamsphire. Moved to CA in 93.

Diehard fan entire time. Seen it all.

Post on here in spurts, when I can find time. Been a member of the boards since before the reset in 2002. Used to be on the Caps team board, before I got banned for being too vocal about the issues the team had, pre-Ovechkin. So, like mid 00's.

Always root for team, but sometimes need them to stop being so pragmatic. Hence the ire towards George.

Go Skins, Terps, Wizards, and Orioles. True Maryland/DC sports fan, til the end.

Cheers.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
Watched the Caps on TV with my dad when I was a kid in the late 70s. I fell in love with the Caps watching a Caps-Islanders playoff game at a food shack one night in Ocean City, MD. That would've been 1983. I have watched almost every game since. I used to obsess over the NHL Entry Draft and what suffering it was to see our draft picks amount to so little (Carpenter, Corriveau, Savage, Slaney, Peake—would've been a good one!, Halverson, Baumgartner, Kharlamov, Church, Elomo, Volchkov, Svejkovsky, Boynton, Beech, Sutherby, ugh!).

Reactions: Babe Ruth

PuckBuddy

Green for Selke
Jul 14, 2009
Seattle, WA
Brian Sutherby is still slated as a future captain of the Caps, he's just biding his time until this weird Ovechkin craze blows over.

I grew up in MD, have been playing hockey since I was four, went to lots of Caps games at Landover and 'Jacks games in Baltimore until I moved for school/work/to-not-live-in-urban-****hole-or-suburban-wasteland.

After extensive lurking, I made an account in 2009 when things were looking serious so that I could experience a bit of community with other Caps fans. I have regretted that decision ever since.

Mike Milbury sucks. Objectively. The Islanders franchise is just now emerging from the wreckage his tenure as GM caused. His sour, negative, TV commentary makes people think that hockey fans must have piss in their breakfast cereal. It is a documented fact that he makes children cry.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I'd been pretty active on various message boards going back 15 or so years and IIRC lurked here on HF back in the Jagr pre-lockout days before finally registering in 2007. I can't remember what made me register...probably from getting sick of the official team boards when the Caps started winning again and various unfavorable changes took place. People who were there know what I'm talking about. Or maybe it was Hanlon getting fired*. I haven't visited any of those other boards in years.

Followed the Caps and hockey in some form or another since the 70s but rarely got to see any games unless they were on the old ch20, 45 or 50. My Caps knowledge as a kid was purely superficial with little or no access (outside Sports Machine). But I remember 1980 Lake Placid Miracle on Ice like it was yesterday (it was tape delayed and the local news teaser spoiled the outcome!!).

Then I REALLY got into following hockey in the late 80s and early 90s when I went to college and finally got cable. ESPN2 let me watch games around the league several times a week (LOVED Dougie Gilmour and the Leafs back then). Have hardly missed a Caps game since, though I haven't been to a game in a while.

Most importantly, I still have a ton of worthless hockey cards and probably an NHL '94 cartridge stashed away somewhere. GOAT.

*edit: yeah, it was Hanlon getting fired. Same date that I joined. LOL

stanleycaps18

I cheer for laundry
Jul 10, 2003
Chocolate City
washcaps.com
But I remember 1980 Lake Placid Miracle on Ice like it was yesterday (it was tape delayed and the local news teaser spoiled the outcome!!).

Renee Pussaint at WJLA, announced the winner of the game at the 10:00 break in the 3rd. Still exciting and get chills everytime I hear "Do you believe in miracles?"

Caps fan since the late 1970's. Was actually a kid listening to Bullets games on the radio, and then one night, I was listening and was enthralled by Ron Weber. Listened to games often and then finally went to a game at the Cap Center - Espisito in net for the Hawks. Suffered through "save the caps", enjoyed "the trade", bummed when Bengt broke his leg, causing the team to miss the playoffs just barely. Was at the first playoff game, was in college for the Easter game, calling my dad after each OT since he wasn't able to watch it in DC (no cable then and the game was on ESPN). Suffered through every agonizing playoff loss and since college have missed very few games. Became a plan holder in 93, STH in 97 through the lockout, and have shared a plan with a few others since.

I hope to see the team win a cup in my lifetime.

Reactions: Misery74

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
I'm a new poster but I've lurked for awhile. I grew up playing hockey in the 70's in Southwest Virginia of all places. I've been a Caps fan since the early 80's. I lived in NOVA from '87-'94 and went to about half a dozen Caps games a year. Those were some of the best years to see games...scoring, fights, etc.

I moved to North Carolina in '94 and have been here ever since...haven't been to a Caps game since '94 but watch almost every single game on tv. Like most posters I think I know what I'm talking about but in reality I know nothing.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I grew up in DC and started going to Caps games with my dad around 1985. When the lockout ended I wanted more hockey talk than I was getting from my friends and family, and I wound up here.

I started playing in my late 20s and now I play a lot more than I watch.

My posts are probably split 50/50 between here and the main boards. Also, I mostly post from my phone, so excuse the typos and autocorrect disasters please.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Bonus fact: people on the main forum usually assume I'm a Devils fan, but my username goes way back to Tim Burton's Batman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad