Your biggest success of the 2017 fantasy season

RedRenegade

Sep 16, 2008
After two disappointing semi final losses I thought it might be good to talk about our successes this year. The inverse of the biggest regret thread I suppose.

Was there a great trade that worked out really well in your favour? Or maybe deep value scored from the draft or a free agent pickup that carried your team this year?

Mine would be drafting Russell Wilson in the 8th round. I had planned to wait on QB and go with either Carr, Winston, or Mariota, thinking they would all finish top 10 in QB scoring. Luckily Wilson fell in our draft and I changed my plan, scooping him as the 7th QB taken.

What was your biggest score?

OilerPensfan97

Feb 27, 2014
Saint John, NB
Traded away Aaron Rodgers in a multi-player deal for Antonio Brown, only a matter of days before Rodgers got injured. Was 0-5 in my league before this, and ended up sneaking into the playoffs and made it to the semi-finals (unfortunately lost out, but felt it was still worth it).

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Somehow made the championship after losing OBJ, drafting Luck and TY Hilton.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Roethlisberger completely saved my season in one of my leagues. I can't remember when exactly I picked him up, but I know it coincided perfectly with him all of a sudden putting up best-in-the-league numbers after that horrible start.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
If you guys will indulge me, I'm going to tell you my biggest success stories of all time.

A while back, my brother-in-law and I decided to form a secret alliance where we would share info we learned from other players, especially leading up to the draft, and would use this information to influence people to take guys so the players we want fall to us.

Twice is has worked out in spectacular fashion. Once we convinced a guy to take Peyton Manning in the first round, 2nd overall, and last year (2016 season) we convinced this HUGE Packers fan that everyone was targeting Rodgers, so he took him in the 1st round. Early too. 5th overall. It was amazing.

This year, we made up some info that a guy was taking Rodgers early, and the Packers fan didn't bite, but incredibly, the guy who we made up the rumour about picked Rodgers with the 1st pick in the 2nd round...and finished this season dead last in the league. I still made a point to tell the Packers fan that my info was correct. haha. Maybe that will pay off next year at draft time when I tip him off again on things that I've heard. Ha.

It's been pretty fun trying to influence the draft. You guys should get in on the fun. All it takes is a bit of coordination with one person sending a text then the next casually brining it up in conversation a day or two later, and boom. The seed is planted. Then it takes some watering of the seed by bringing up how good a certain player is compared to his counterparts and that the player is the top of your list for sure for that position.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Trading Doug Martin for Keenan Allen

That plus picking up Adam Thielen and Mark Ingram off FA really shaped my team

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Drafting Gurley in the second round. Its funny cause last year everyone was down on Melvin Gordon so I got him in the 3rd or 4th round, this year everyone was down on Gurley and I managed to get the top producing back in the 2nd round.

Drafting Wentz in the 14th round, I picked up Mariota in the 6th (lol) and literally wanted Wentz for when the Titans were on bye. Sucks he got hurt but he was one of the reasons I made the playoffs.

Picking up Rex Burkhead a month ago was another key one, after Mixon got hurt I had no real RB2 & Burkhead helped push me into the playoffs and now the finals.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

RedRenegade

Sep 16, 2008
Gurley and Hunt are two successes for sure. Thought there would be more Kamara stories since no one foresaw him having a top 5 season. I actually avoided the NO backs because I didn't know how that would play out.

Another success for me was going 3 for 3 in trades in one league:
Brandin Cooks for Dalvin Cook
Mark Ingram for Peterson
Le'Veon Bell for Hunt

Weird thing is all 3 trades were offered to me. Hunt vs Bell is close to a wash but I bought low on Bell and it paid off.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Hunt has been mine as well. And then, low key, picking up Landry 58th overall. 1/2 PPR has him as the WR6 this year. Also trusting Gronk would be healthy this year was a huge gamble that paid off as I took Gronk as one of my 3 keepers. We'll see if keeping Zeke even with the suspension was the right call this weekend

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
-Drafted Kamara 22nd overall in a rookie draft (standard) and Hunt 10th overall in that same league
-Drafted Kamara 16th overall (.5 per reception) in another rookie draft
-Drafted Kamara in the 13th round of a startup PPR dynasty and Hunt in the 11th round of that same league
-Drafted Kamara 13th overall in a PPR dynasty rookie draft

(Yet I didn't draft him in my 14 team PPR when I traded up... ugh.)

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
Drafting DeAndre Hopkins in the 4th round for sure.

Figured he only suffered last year because of The Brock and rewarded me with a #1 ranked WR season.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
RB Depth

Took Ezekiel Elliott in the second round and "reached" on Kareem Hunt in the 4th or 5th in my championship league. I grabbed Tevin Campbell later as a solid flex play with high potential as a starter. Which paid dividends later as Campell had a few starting bids due to injury when Elliott was suspended.

Grabbed Demarco Murray(who was awful all year) off the waiver wire for a few weeks. Gave me about two solid performances before I cut bait. Ameer Abdullah, Alfred Morris...blah

Biggest one was Dion Lewis halfway through the year. Without him I don't win my league yesterday.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Basically streamed QBs after Rodgers got hurt and made the championship game. Same league I had drafted Martavis Bryant as my first WR. But RB depth kept my team going, with Bell, Kamara and eventually Drake in the Flex. To finish first OA and lose the in the finals was not a bad effort for a ragtag group.

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Getting Hunt in the draft was huge. Although that wasn't the biggest success. I'd say it was my ability to adapt and pick up the right guys as the year went along.

It's a keeper league where you keep 3 of your players from the previous season. My keepers (same as they've been the last 3 years) were Devonta Freeman, Antonio Brown and OBJ. Picking up Hunt basically gave me two elite RB1s and two elite WR1s. I drafted pretty well and started the year 5-0 but ran into some injury issues with OBJ, Freeman, Brown, Hogan, Palmer, McCown, and Benjamin. I had some losses because of these injuries but was able to manage to get 4th in the league going into the playoffs with some good pick ups.

Marquise Goodwin and Sterling Shepard helped my receiving core a lot when OBJ went down, Dede Westbrook had some good games at the flex spot for me, Giovani Bernard also had some great games down the stretch.

Going into the final I had Kirk Cousins going against Denver's defense which I didn't trust so I picked up Blake Bortles vs. SF. Though Cousins played well, Bortles still came out as the better of the two that day. Brown being out meant that I'd need to lean on another receiver. However, Hogan still not being back and Goodwin going against JAX made it tough so I picked up Bryant off of waivers hoping he could get some of Brown's points. While he didn't blow it out of the water he was better than Goodwin that day. The flex spot I was torn between Westbrook and Bernard but decided that I thought Bernard would carry a heavier load than Mixon and he ended up with 23 points. Then I had a choice of my TE all year in Jimmy Graham (who had been inconsistent in his final weeks just as the Seahawks were) or taking a shot on a guy I picked up on a hunch a week prior in Eric Ebron. I went with Ebron and he doubled Graham's point output.

In that final week I used only 4/9 guys I would consider regular starters and the rest were guys that I had on my roster for no more than 3 weeks the entire year. Went on to win by 10 and if I left my regular roster intact I would have definitely lost.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Picking up DeShaun Watson off the wire for free in a keeper league. Dak may get the boot for next season.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Drafting Kamara in the 13th round

Drafting Gurley in the second round. Its funny cause last year everyone was down on Melvin Gordon so I got him in the 3rd or 4th round, this year everyone was down on Gurley and I managed to get the top producing back in the 2nd round.

Gurley and Hunt are two successes for sure. Thought there would be more Kamara stories since no one foresaw him having a top 5 season. I actually avoided the NO backs because I didn't know how that would play out.

Another success for me was going 3 for 3 in trades in one league:
Brandin Cooks for Dalvin Cook
Mark Ingram for Peterson
Le'Veon Bell for Hunt

Weird thing is all 3 trades were offered to me. Hunt vs Bell is close to a wash but I bought low on Bell and it paid off.

I got Kamara in the 14th round and Gurley in the 2nd round in a two-player keeper league, so Kamara will be my 13th round pick, absolute STEAL, and Gurley will be my 1st round (almost guaranteed to be a top 5 OA pick anyway). It's hilarious because they neglected to tell me that it was a keeper league until 30 minutes before the draft. A couple of guys in my league actually tried to reverse the keeper rules because I'll be starting with Kamara and Gurley already on my squad for next season.

I don't follow football prospects that much, but had heard of Kamara as a potential sleeper rookie pick, so I grabbed him late. Those two carried my injury-riddled team all the way to a 1st place victory.

I had Aaron Rodgers (replaced him with Kirk Cousins a week after my friend dropped him after acquiring a big QB), Randall Cobb, Ty Montgomery all got wrecked with injuries, among a few other players.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Kamara was my biggest positive and negative last year.

Drafted him for cheap in re-draft, passed on him in my most important dynasty league to try to balance my roster a bit. Passed on Kamara and Hunt in that league actually to fill a hole at QB (Mahomes) in a 2QB league.

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
Drafting Kamara in round 12 in my keeper league. I mostly did it as a handcuff to Ingram.

Drafting Ertz in round 10.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I got Kamara in the 14th round and Gurley in the 2nd round in a two-player keeper league, so Kamara will be my 13th round pick, absolute STEAL, and Gurley will be my 1st round (almost guaranteed to be a top 5 OA pick anyway). It's hilarious because they neglected to tell me that it was a keeper league until 30 minutes before the draft. A couple of guys in my league actually tried to reverse the keeper rules because I'll be starting with Kamara and Gurley already on my squad for next season.

I don't follow football prospects that much, but had heard of Kamara as a potential sleeper rookie pick, so I grabbed him late. Those two carried my injury-riddled team all the way to a 1st place victory.

I had Aaron Rodgers (replaced him with Kirk Cousins a week after my friend dropped him after acquiring a big QB), Randall Cobb, Ty Montgomery all got wrecked with injuries, among a few other players.

I grabbed Kamara off the waiver wire and then traded him for Ertz after a month of good performances.

Why you may ask? Because behold, I am the Lord of the Idiots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->