Your biggest heartbreak ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Youreallygotme

Aug 21, 2003
Kelowna BC
This is different than the worst moment in hockey thread, although related.

My team was a fairly average team throughout the year, and we had our ups and downs. We made a turnaround when A cancer on the team was kicked off, and we started coming together really well. Our teams goals were winning provincials and we talked about it every single practice. THe same team had lost in the finals the year before, although I wasnt on it. IN fact i had won 1 single playoff game in my life coming into this season. Anyways I daydreamed every single day about winning it. This was like Stanley cup to me, no lie.

So playoffs roll around, and we brush aside every team going 6-0. During the 3 week layoff between playoffs and provincials, all I do is daydream about getting that winning goal in the finals(key part). All the team talks about it winning the damn thing and bringing it home as has been done only once in this assosiations history. The returnees keep saying how our chances are even better than the previous year.

SO Provincials come, and we maul our way through with a perfect 4-0 record through the round robins, with the best goal differential, best defense, etc. etc. Finally the semi's come along against Trail. Their goalie is injured and will be easy to beat. Their defense is suspect. THey are a much worse team to put it flatly. So when the game starts, we get 4 straight penalties to start and they get a lucky goal to go ahead. For the rest of the game we were all over them, getting shot after shot on this "injured" goalie, but no luck. During a flurry in the second period, our team goes nuts trying to get a goal, but we miss an open net. Immediately after, the puck is cleared and it goes right to a Trail player who is coming on to replace an injured player who was deep in our zone. He is wide open and scores on a breakaway. We looked down and out but came out flying again in the 3rd, scoring 13 seconds in. Surely with 19:47 left we could get one right? NO. For the next 16 minutes shot after shot is blocked and then flipped out of the zone. On their first chance of the period they score on an unbeleivable shot. We kept trying but it was no use. It ended 4-1.

Perhaps the way I told it doesnt do it justice but this is an unbeleivably hard loss. People were crying. Aside from the 3rd place game(which we won) this was the last game of my career, so this was sickening. I felt a predominant sad, disgusting, sick feeling for the next 3 or 4 days. We stayed in the same hotel as the eventual winners(whom we had beaten earlier) and we saw them celebrating with the medals around their necks. I dont know if anything(sportswise) could feel worse than losing a flukey game that you were expecting to win, and that ending your career.

Anybody else with some bitter memories out there to share?

CRUNK JUICE

Nov 19, 2002
Austin, TX
webspace.utexas.edu
nucks&flames said:
Anybody else with some bitter memories out there to share?

I know how you feel. My high school team was the defending champions and easily the most talented team in our city. We had 3 of the top 6 scorers in the league on our top line (including yours truly and we also had the only goalie in the league with a sv% over .900). We rolled through the playoffs until the semi-finals.

It was supposed to be one of the shining moments in my days of competitive play. During the playoffs, they announced all the starters' names and I was team captain and first line left wing. A whole slew of my friends showed up at the semi-final game to cheer me on, not to mention an ***load of people from my school and my then girlfriend and all of her friends (not to mention my family, although I'm much more used to being embarassed in front of them ;) ). I remember being so ecstatic when they called my name out as starting left wing and hearing all the applause I got.

We were up against a lesser team that'd absolutely caught fire and we managed to get to OT against them (4-4 after regulation). With about a minute left in the extra period, I strip the puck off their defenseman's stick at the point and haul ass down the ice. It's their stay-at-home guy, who'd been my arch rival for years (dating all the way back to peewee football), seperating me and a goalie I'd owned all season. He was bigger than me (I was 6'2" about 175-180, he was 6'4" and must've been close to 230), but I figured I could beat him with lateral movement, speed and stickhandling as he wasn't very agile and was a little on the slow side.
Anyway, I don't know what I was thinking, but in the split second before I was about to make my move to get around the defenseman something shorted out in my brain, and I pulled a Lindros and looked down at the ****ing puck. The next thing I know, I'm on my back staring up at the rink's ceiling lights (if there's a better way to impress your girlfriend, I'm at a loss to think of it :banghead: ). The buzzer sounds to end the extra period, and in our league that meant a shootout.

The coach picked me to shoot fifth, and we lost on the other team's fourth shot. I was the team captain, 5th leading scorer in the league that year (3rd or 4th in goals), and second on my team behind my centerman (who was the finest playmaker I've ever had the pleasure to skate on line with) and I never got a shot. The coach let some kid whom we later found out had a concussion shoot before me (it was obvious he was very dazed and kind of out of it). Maybe the coach thought my center was the one who did all the work for all my goals or maybe he just had his head up his *** every time I had a breakaway (I don't recall missing a single one that year). Hell, maybe he was paying attention and thought I was due to miss this time, or, looking on the bright side, maybe he figured I was the guy he wanted shooting last if we absolutely had to get that last goal. I'll never know now because I was too stunned to speak, but I felt like Gretzky at the Nagano games. To this day, I think our team would have won back to back city championships (actually the it would've been a 3-peat, as the team won it next year after I'd graduated, which also stung a little bit) if I'd been picked to shoot first, second, or third.

Of course, I guess I could say the same thing if I'd kept my god**** head up. :(

And to top it off, my girlfriend and her friends even made signs. "Go #2," We love Big Vic," and such. Ouch. Just... ouch.
In my defense, though, I did have the GTG that got us to OT.

Not that it made losing that one any easier. There was no crying, but I was pretty close to it when they sunk us in the shootout. I remember just kind of slumping back on the bench and almost falling over backwards. There was just never a point where I actually thought we could lose until the last goal in the shootout. Once again, just... OUCH.

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
Broke a vertebrea last year when I was on a hot streak and playing well. We were in Rouyn Noranda and the arena was full with scouts. :banghead: If I would of not been injured the Victoriaville Tigers were very interested in me. This is what my coach told me at the hospital. I kept in contact with their scouts but they said my injury was too serious and now I was force to retire.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
I've never made a final with my team, nor have I even played in a post season game. So my biggest heartbreak would be my worst moment, a game where we lost something like 16-1 or 17-1. In the car on the way home, I worked it out in my head that I would have been a -11 for the game.

I must have ended with about 5 assists in that game, if you know what I mean. And a goal, one of the 16 or 17 went in off my stick.

I never took my eyes off the floor for a second in the locker room after the game.

Predshockey17

Jun 16, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
As a guy this may sound wimpy. Maybe it just me.Because I have never won a championship in almost 10 year. But after losing the last game, am I the only one that crys?

Masao

Nov 24, 2002
masaohf.atspace.com
The last time I played.

I'm bad. As in, really, really bad. First my knees are snapped so I can't skate but even if I had bionic knees I'd still be bad.

So I was at defense, at the point on the PP. Yeah, wtf am I doing on the ice during a pp? But that's besides the point.

So a guy on the wing passes the puck to me from the circles. I want to one-time it at the net, but since the pass goes behind me the only way I can catch it is with my backhand (since I'm not fast enough to skate towards where the puck is going and catch it with my forehand).

So I decide to one-time the puck at the net anyway, but a backhanded one-timer. I raise my stick... swiiiiiiiiif .... I almost touched the puck, then fell on my ass.

Imagine, a guy who can't shoot the puck five feet ahead tries to backhand-one-time it at the net FROM THE BLUE LINE.

Some guy from the other team then took the puck and went on a breakaway.

After that, I just walked straight out of the rink. I knew hockey was over for me :cry:

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
clefty said:
I've never made a final with my team, nor have I even played in a post season game. So my biggest heartbreak would be my worst moment, a game where we lost something like 16-1 or 17-1. In the car on the way home, I worked it out in my head that I would have been a -11 for the game.

I must have ended with about 5 assists in that game, if you know what I mean. And a goal, one of the 16 or 17 went in off my stick.

I never took my eyes off the floor for a second in the locker room after the game.

Don't worry I lost a game 22-2 when I was novice and I was playing goal so it was even worst.

Spetzky

Jul 31, 2004
Edmonton
When I was playing my team was down 4-0 in the mid-third when easily the worst player gets 2 bad goals to make it 4-2 with 5 minutes remaining I get out and deke out a bunch of people to score to 4-3 then with the last 60 seconds remaining. Then the team kept shooting but not passing they all wanted GTG while I was open in the slot. The guy who had the last shot is a ****** and almost took my head off with the slapper and missed the net too.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
Mine would have been the day that I was banned from my hockey league for arguing with a referee. I had been put on probation (I'll be frank, I'm a big guy, and I was up against smaller guys, I was always playing a rough brand of hockey, and it pissed off the leagues executives) for an on ice altercation, and told that any more major penalties and I would be banned. I was given the game for arguing a tripping call, and the only reason I argued it was because I was the one skating down the ice with the puck, so it was physically impossible for it to have been me. I was ejected for sharing some choice words with the ref.

The leagues commishioner happened to be attending the game, and he came and specifically told me that he saw the whole thing, and I should not worry, I would be back, there would be no ban. Later that week, I received a letter in the mail from the league, stating I'd been banned, and that if I ever returned to an arena during a game from that level, even to watch, I would be charged with tresspassing, and the police would be called.

I lost faith in minor hockey on that day.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Around 6 years ago I was playing in the finals. I was the Left Wing for the top line. Our Centre got injured 2 minutes in, and the guy on the Right Wing go cheap shotted and came back in really bad condition. In the middle of the first I hit one of their players hard into the board, the guy gets up and then swings his stick at my head (while I'm turned around), my team mate yells at me and I turn around just in time to get my arm up, his stick breaks on my arm. Basically after that our top line can do nothing but sit there because the other team is full of cheap shots...it sucked cause all our hard work went down the drain and we couldn't even make a difference.

Sixty Six

Feb 28, 2003
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
we just lost in the semi finals, we are the best team in the league, and i know this, but i thought if we ran into a team that wanted it more, they prolly would get it. Saying that if i showed up tonight we woulda won, no matter how heartless we are... anyway i didn't and we lost... not only did i not show up skill wise, i didn't show up with any heart... i am really dissapointed right now i don't remember feeling this down after a game... especially because teams i play on aren't normally the favorites to win it all such as we were. Overall i'm very dissapointed right now

Youreallygotme

Aug 21, 2003
Kelowna BC
GregStack said:
Mine would have been the day that I was banned from my hockey league for arguing with a referee. I had been put on probation (I'll be frank, I'm a big guy, and I was up against smaller guys, I was always playing a rough brand of hockey, and it pissed off the leagues executives) for an on ice altercation, and told that any more major penalties and I would be banned. I was given the game for arguing a tripping call, and the only reason I argued it was because I was the one skating down the ice with the puck, so it was physically impossible for it to have been me. I was ejected for sharing some choice words with the ref.

The leagues commishioner happened to be attending the game, and he came and specifically told me that he saw the whole thing, and I should not worry, I would be back, there would be no ban. Later that week, I received a letter in the mail from the league, stating I'd been banned, and that if I ever returned to an arena during a game from that level, even to watch, I would be charged with tresspassing, and the police would be called.

I lost faith in minor hockey on that day.

Thats bizarre :amazed:

mymkovski

Aug 16, 2004
4 brutal heartbreaks in 5 years....

In minor atom AA, our powerhouse roster was 1 and 2 all season long with the Rangers; came into the semi's to play the Vics (Courchene and Meech's AA team). Went to a Game 6 in a best of 5 series. Game 5 was a tie, and after one OT, they rescheduled the game. Late in the game, Courchene deked out our team and scored the Game winner...

In major atom AA, we went 25-1 (lost the last game of the season); and won ourselves our first and only championship.

In peewee AAA, our stacked team played fairly well throughout the year. Some of our team's competition was Nigel Dawes, Adam Courchene, and Derek Meech on the Warriors; Tyle Mosienko and Lance Monych on the Hawks; Tyler Metcalfe on the Monarchs. However, we were still the team to beat. Semi-finals up against the Warriors, we went to a Game 6 in a best of 5 series. Game 5 was a tie, and after one OT, they rescheduled the game. How freaky is that to have that happen again?? In OT in Game 6, Courchene Tee'd one up from centre, it deflected off my D partners stick...top shelf, season over.

In minor bantam AAA, our team was absolutely loaded. By the time we had got to the finals that year we hadn't lost more than 5 games all season including playoffs, yet somehow we found ourselves in Game 7 in the finals. In Game 6, which would have won the championship for us, we were leading right up til the final buzzer when Metcalfe roofed one with 0 seconds on the clock to send it into OT. 20 seconds into OT, the Monarchs won sending it to Game 7. The 3 games we won, we were in the double digits, the 3 games we lost were by a goal. And surprise surprise, we were denied our ring for the 2nd time in a row.

In major bantam AAA, we were pegged to go all the way to the Western cup. However a train wreck of a series in the finals against the Monych led Hawks meant a 4-0 series loss...

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
nucks&flames said:
Thats bizarre :amazed:

To be perfectly honest, it wasn't. They'd been trying for two years to get rid of me, and finally did it on that play. To put it straight, they purely hated me.

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
GregStack said:
To be perfectly honest, it wasn't. They'd been trying for two years to get rid of me, and finally did it on that play. To put it straight, they purely hated me.

Why the hell did they hate you that much?

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
My worst was when my team was stacked playing in the Finals agsaint a team i had shutout 4of the 5 games we had played agsaint them in the regular season.

So come in the playoffs we had a bye as my team finished 1st in the regular season and we meet this same team. They come in and beat us in the first game of a 3 game series 3 - 1 (with one empty net goal) the second game i got a shutout and we won in the dying minitues 1-0. Finally game 3 comes around and we were dominating the play but they got back one of their players(from an injured ankle) who was a monster in the regular season agsaint everyone but me. so in the game the other goalie and me put on a goaltending clinic as we both stop 50+ saves in regulation and head into OT tied 2-2.

The first OT was end to end with both of us making like 4 breakaway saves each plus 10 stops from the slot. then in the second overtime they get the puck behind the net in the corner and their forward the guy who was a beast tries to pass it out front from the corner along the goal line and it banks in off me cause i was trying to cheat out to the middle of my net instead of bear hugging the post. Puck goes in and they win the best of 3 series 2-games to 1.

We lose there and even though i won a whack load of trophies for my season (MVP + top Goalie) it was a bust casue we lost to this crappy team that caught fire.

A team catches fire and scores 6 goals in 3 games to win when in 5 games in the regular season they only scored 2 goals all year. That had me so choked that i lost that series on such a dumb play by myself

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
GregStack said:
Sounds like my high school principals...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad