Your assessment of Rick St. Croix so far (game 18)

ForSpareParts*

Your comments are welcome.

I am not an expert on goaltender coaching / training, so my opinion doesn't mean a lot. I do feel that both Reims and Scivvies are not playing a conflicting style (much like Allaire). They both seem to play on their strengths. I think Reims is better than Scriv mechanically/positionally. Scrivs at time has been swimming in the net. Sometimes he stays in position well. The two are battling and winning.

I am not going to forget our defense though. They are a big part of why our goalies have improved.

Have you noticed a big difference in our goaltending other than wins?

Rick St. Croix ~ so far so good.

Go Leafs Go!

BillyD

JUST WIN BABY
Jun 23, 2009

I am not an expert on goaltender coaching / training, so my opinion doesn't mean a lot. I do feel that both Reims and Scivvies are not playing a conflicting style (much like Allaire). They both seem to play on their strengths. I think Reims is better than Scriv mechanically/positionally. Scrivs at time has been swimming in the net. Sometimes he stays in position well. The two are battling and winning.

I am not going to forget our defense though. They are a big part of why our goalies have improved.

Go Leafs Go!

one year too late for the monster

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
It's a combination of St. Croix's excellent work, our goalies playing very well and responding to his training, and Carlyle's defensive system that have yielded such stellar results in terms of goalie statistics for us this year.

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
It's a combination of St. Croix's excellent work, our goalies playing very well and responding to his training, and Carlyle's defensive system that have yielded such stellar results in terms of goalie statistics for us this year.

Don't know haven't seen him play ?

birddog*

Go Leafs Go!

Allaire was too mechanical. Every shot had a script. Many times the goalies were looking to get into a certain position rather than stopping the puck.

More freedom now to read and react, and let them use there reflexes.

Positioning is good but you can't be a statue out there.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
All we can really say is that our goalies are performing very well, and our team defence has been strong as well. We really don't know if it's the goalie coach or not.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Our goaltending is clearly better. Has a lot to do with Carlyle too.

SteveV*

Particularly with Reimer I noticed a lot more athleticism, seems much more intuitive and less robotic. His style looks different so I attribute it to the coaching.

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
Particularly with Reimer I noticed a lot more athleticism, seems much more intuitive and less robotic. His style looks different so I attribute it to the coaching.

St Croix is probably helping Reimer play his game better, instead of Allaire making him play a different style.

The one big difference is that the team is actually playing defense this year, and not leaving these guys out to dry. I think its showing that maybe are roster is better then it had been performing.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
You'd have to think Rebound Control has moved to the top of his Coaching list when working with Scrivens.

spidergoalie

Aug 9, 2009
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Not sure how we can really assess the goalie coach...
We can't. However according to a fair number of "Experts" we know allaire was the cause of all the problems with his rigid approach.
I've read that here many times, so it must be true.

Nevermind what Ben Scrivens said here:
http://magazine.ingoalmag.com/publication/?m=18095&l=1

“People view Frankie as this rigid, my way, it’s blocking, you only do it this way, or you only do it that way.
But do I play the same was as Jiggy or Reims? Does
Reims play the same way that Patrick Roy did? In
Anaheim, Frankie coached Bryzgalov, and everyone
loves Hiller’s glove and was he not Frankie’s pupil also?
When people view Frankie they have a mindset about
how he coaches, and it just becomes self-fulfilling
prophecy after that.
“I worked with Frankie for four years and he never once
told me to put my chest in front of a puck instead of my
glove. Never. So the fact people say he tries to block for
shots going above the glove is ludicrous. Why would
anybody every say that? They are just going on the stereotype. There’s a logical disconnect. Frankie has never
once told me to play only percentages. There are times
and places where it makes sense, places you can react
and times you can’t, but that’s save selection, that’s not
a steadfast rule.
“Frankie is all about efficiency. If a puck is coming at
your chest, you are better off to take in in your chest
because it’s going to hit there anyway and smother it
against your chest. If it’s going into the crossbar-post
corner, it’s obvious you catch that because there is no
way for a shoulder to get there. But that gap between
is where the goalie has to decide is it quicker to move
my shoulder an inch or two inches over, or does it make
more sense to bring my glove out five inches and in
two inches? It’s up to the goalie to decide what save to
make, but if you are trying to make your save coverage area for your glove from the ice to the cross
bar and post to chest, that’s too much area
to cover efficiently. You can’t go one way
or another 100 per cent. Only trying to block won’t work, but all
glove won’t work either. You
need a combination and
it’s up the goalie to decide what that is.”

Nah what would he know. :laugh:

Anyway I think it is impossible to say. The team is playing better and with far more defensive focus. Reimer was healthy unlike last year. Too soon and too many variables. I'm sure St.Croix will be fine though.

Last edited:

TheKingSlayer

He was in the way!
Mar 12, 2008
Ottawa
Scrivens really needs to work on his rebound control, that cost us two goals last night. If he can improve on that, he should be a solid goaler.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad