Your 5 Greatest Seasons (by a player) -- Reg.Season + Playoffs

livewell68

Jul 20, 2007
Hasek 1998-99 may be the best season+playoffs of all-time for a goalie, especially considering the team he was on compared to Thomas and Quick.

Hart
Vezina
1st team AS

64GP
30-18-14
9 SO
1.87 GAA
937 SV%

playoffs:
13-6
2 SO
1.77 GAA
939 SV%

came within a botched call + a game 7 win from easily winning the Conn Smythe too

Hasek never won the Hart in 1998-99, in fact he was a distant 3rd, Jagr won it that season.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
No, I just don't ignore non-forwards

Yeah, cause the distribution of Goalie/Forward/Defense seems to be unbiased in your post. :laugh:

I think Parent ad the most impressive goalie season. Or Hasek in 98-99. Thomas, while he was great played only 55 games in the regular season the year he won the Conn Smythe. Five or so more games on that level and I might put him just there with Bernie and Dominator.

PhillyBluesFan

Jan 17, 2012
Yeah, cause the distribution of Goalie/Forward/Defense seems to be unbiased in your post. :laugh:

I think Parent ad the most impressive goalie season. Or Hasek in 98-99. Thomas, while he was great played only 55 games in the regular season the year he won the Conn Smythe. Five or so more games on that level and I might put him just there with Bernie and Dominator.

Hasek and Gretzky are the greatest players ever so why wouldn't they monopolize a list like this?

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I could see Hasek having maybe one season in the top 5 ever, but considering he never won the Cup and that there are a couple of other goalies with comparable stats, I'd say more than one in the five is too much.

PhillyBluesFan

Jan 17, 2012
I could see Hasek having maybe one season in the top 5 ever, but considering he never won the Cup and that there are a couple of other goalies with comparable stats, I'd say more than one in the five is too much.

??? Hasek did win a cup.

All the other great goalies had much much much much much better supporting cast than the dregs Hasek carried for years in Buffalo

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
??? Hasek did win a cup.
We're talking about the Buffalo seasons.

Look, I agree Hasek is one of the greatest players of all time, and I concur that one of his late-90s seasons deserves consideration as one of the Top 5 seasons -- this is exclusively RS and Playoffs -- in NHL history. But we ARE talking about playoffs here, so I don't think a guy who didn't win can get 3 of the top 5 in history. That's absurd, actually.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Hasek and Gretzky are the greatest players ever so why wouldn't they monopolize a list like this?

I don't think a guy who doesn't win the cup in any of those years should take 3/5 spots on best regular season+playoffs. No matter how good he was and I think he was really good. If you would count only the RS then I guess Hasek has better leg to stand on. But if the purpose of this thread is to give the same amount of value to the regular season and to the playoffs, I don't see how Hasek takes 3. One might be justifiable, but 3 is just absurd.

PhillyBluesFan

Jan 17, 2012
I don't think a guy who doesn't win the cup in any of those years should take 3/5 spots on best regular season+playoffs. No matter how good he was and I think he was really good. If you would count only the RS then I guess Hasek has better leg to stand on. But if the purpose of this thread is to give the same amount of value to the regular season and to the playoffs, I don't see how Hasek takes 3. One might be justifiable, but 3 is just absurd.

??? Hasek was just as good if not better in the playoffs than he was in the regular season. There are maybe a handful of players in NHL history who could of gotten those Buffalo teams to the playoff and I don't think anyone else but Hasek could of actually made them competitive when they got there

Sprague Cleghorn

User Registered
Aug 14, 2013
Edmonton, KY
??? Hasek was just as good if not better in the playoffs than he was in the regular season. There are maybe a handful of players in NHL history who could of gotten those Buffalo teams to the playoff and I don't think anyone else but Hasek could of actually made them competitive when they got there

In case you missed it, the title of the thread is best SINGLE regular season AND playoffs run. To make the list, you need to have a great regular season while having a DEEP run in the playoffs. The reason Hasek should not occupy over 50% of the list is because he only made it deep once with Buffalo. It's great that he carried the team on his back, but if you don't make it past the first or second round, I don't see how you can have the greatest RS AND playoffs of all time.

livewell68

Jul 20, 2007
In case you missed it, the title of the thread is best SINGLE regular season AND playoffs run. To make the list, you need to have a great regular season while having a DEEP run in the playoffs. The reason Hasek should not occupy over 50% of the list is because he only made it deep once with Buffalo. It's great that he carried the team on his back, but if you don't make it past the first or second round, I don't see how you can have the greatest RS AND playoffs of all time.

Hasek's team made it deep twice; in 1997-98 they got to the ECF and in 1998-99 they made it all the way to SCF. That is at least 2 seasons worth mentioning.

Last edited:

livewell68

Jul 20, 2007
I think to make it interesting, we should exclude Lemieux and Gretzky for this discussion. With that said, here is my top 5;

1. Sakic 1995-96: 120 Pts in 82 games in the regular season (3rd overall) and then 34 pts in 22 games (including 18 goals) in the playoffsto go along with the Conn Smythe.

2. Doug Gilmour 1992-93: 127 Pts in 83 games in the regular season (2nd in Hart voting and won Selke) and then 35 Pts in 21 playoff games to finish behind # 99 in playoff scoring only.

3. Bernie Parent both his 1973-74 and 1974-75 seasons, 47 and 44 wins apiece and 2 Conn Smythe trophies and 2 Vezina trophies. (I'm giving him the 3rd spot for both seasons).

4. Bobby Orr 1969-70: won Norris, Art Ross, Hart and Conn Smythe trophy (only player to win all 4 major awards in the same season).

5. Malkin 2008-09: Art Ross, 2nd in Hart voting and Conn Smythe

HM: Paul Coffey in 1984-85, Hasek in 1997-98 and 1998-99, Tim Thomas in 2010-11, Pavel Bure 1993-94, Jagr in 1995-96, Eric Staal in 2005-06, Mike Bossy in both 1980-81 and 1981-82, Trottier in 1979-80 and Sergei Fedorov in 1995-96.

PhillyBluesFan

Jan 17, 2012
Hasek's team made it deep twice; in 1997-98 they got to the ECF and in 1998-99 they made it all the way to SCF. That is at least 2 seasons worth mentioning.

And in 94 Hasek lost to the best team that year IMO(the Devils) in the most tightly contested series in the history of the NHL

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
You really think Sakic and Gilmour had better Regular Season+Playoffs than Orr's 69-70?

I mean, his regular season can be argued as the best ever. Can Sakic or Gilmour even begin to touch that level?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
You know the funny thing is, my top 5 list is almost identical to the OP's. Not a lot of deviation for me at all. Bernie Parent is a name that sneaks in there possibly. Got to agree, Lafleur in 1977 comes to mind as does Bossy in 1982. Not far behind Gretzky and Orr's best is Mario in 1992.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad