Your 2008 WJHC Team?

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
John Hynes will be the head coach so I would scratch Willams, Sanguenetti, and Cohen off the list. I think the front runners are Summers, Strait, McBain, Fischer, Shatenkirk, and Ratchuk. Erick Johnson will be in the NHL. Carl Sneep and Kevin Montgomery could get a look also.

sneep is too old, and i doubt they will select montgomery either.

i see mcbain, shattenkirk, lapointe and summers as locks.

next tier would be strait, ruth, cole, blum, petrecki, fischer will all get long looks.

possibilities tj brennan, ryan mcdonagh, zach bogosian, kevin montgomery, bobby sanguinetti

sanguinetti should make the team, but who knows. i agree that you can completely count cohen and williams out. although cohen has progressed alot since his move, hes still not strong enough defensively, no matter how many points he'll put up.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
sneep is too old, and i doubt they will select montgomery either.

i see mcbain, shattenkirk, lapointe and summers as locks.

next tier would be strait, ruth, cole, blum, petrecki, fischer will all get long looks.

possibilities tj brennan, ryan mcdonagh, zach bogosian, kevin montgomery, bobby sanguinetti

sanguinetti should make the team, but who knows. i agree that you can completely count cohen and williams out. although cohen has progressed alot since his move, hes still not strong enough defensively, no matter how many points he'll put up.

Sneep is an 88 so he has another shot this year. I wouldn't say Lapoint is a lock.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
Giroux should definitely make the team...

IMO...this is what the team should look like:

___?____ , John Tavares, Steven Stamkos
Cory Emmerton, Angelo Esposito, Sam Gagner
Brett Mclean, Logan Couture, C Giroux
Kyle Turris, Ben Maxwell, Ryan White
Evan Fuller

Irving
Bernier

I removed Toews (IMO, he will be in the NHL with Chicago)
I also removed Bryan Little from the possible '08 WJC roster (Little is born in
'87, he's too old).
I'm 100% sure that Brad Marchand will make the team ; He was there last year.

The Exiled One

Sep 1, 2006
State of Hockey
www.dahuskies.com
although cohen has progressed alot since his move, hes still not strong enough defensively, no matter how many points he'll put up.
If a player could put a five points per game, they could essentially stand at center ice the rest of the time and still be valuable to the team. Does Cohen put up five points per game? No... but then he doesn't stand at center ice either.

I still think he's one of the best seven American defensemen eligible, but I also don't think he'll make the team for political reasons.

LaPoint will probably make the team, but his defensive game is only slightly better than Cohen's and his offensive game is just slightly worse.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
typically this is a tournament for 19 yr olds.there seems to be a ton of talent from the 89 & 90 born years and a handful should make the team.i didn't look at their ages but how many 88's are penciled in for the roster?

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
typically this is a tournament for 19 yr olds.there seems to be a ton of talent from the 89 & 90 born years and a handful should make the team.i didn't look at their ages but how many 88's are penciled in for the roster?
I doubt there are any 90's that will make this team!

B Boarding

Feb 26, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
I guess a Swedish roster could look something like this:

GK:
Jhonas Enroth
Stefan Ridderwall

D:
Eric Moe
Victor Hedman -90
Niclas Andersén
Dennis Persson
Johan Motin -89
Kristoffer Berglund
Magnus Svanberg

F:
Mattias Tedenby -90
Mikael Backlund -89
Joakim Andersson -90
Thomas Larsson
Patrik Berglund
Oscar Möller -89
Tony Lagerström
Patrick Lundh
Robin Figren
Mario Kempe
Kim Johansson
Victor Sjödin
Johan Alcén

Decent team that could win a medal if Enroth plays up to his potential. Dennis Persson and Niclas Andersén must take the next step on defense and Victor Hedman continue to develop. On offense it's imortant that Patrik Berglund get some scoring support from Backlund, Möller and Tedenby.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
I doubt there are any 90's that will make this team!

bigd, i know your very familiar with the program, but the past 3 years they have taken 1 or 2 17 year olds. the only ones that would have a shot for this team, however, would probably be mitch wahl, zach bogosian, and jordan schroeder at this point. it will be very tough for a 1990 to crack the defensive unit. its not out of the question for wahl or schroeder or both, to crack the forward lineup, because i dont think its as deep as the defense.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006

GK:
Jhonas Enroth
Stefan Ridderwall

D:
Eric Moe
Victor Hedman -90
Niclas Andersén
Dennis Persson
Johan Motin -89
Kristoffer Berglund
Magnus Svanberg

F:
Mattias Tedenby -90
Mikael Backlund -89
Joakim Andersson -90
Thomas Larsson
Patrik Berglund
Oscar Möller -89
Tony Lagerström
Patrick Lundh
Robin Figren
Mario Kempe
Kim Johansson
Victor Sjödin
Johan Alcén

Decent team that could win a medal if Enroth plays up to his potential. Dennis Persson and Niclas Andersén must take the next step on defense and Victor Hedman continue to develop. On offense it's imortant that Patrik Berglund get some scoring support from Backlund, Möller and Tedenby.

he is 89

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
bigd, i know your very familiar with the program, but the past 3 years they have taken 1 or 2 17 year olds. the only ones that would have a shot for this team, however, would probably be mitch wahl, zach bogosian, and jordan schroeder at this point. it will be very tough for a 1990 to crack the defensive unit. its not out of the question for wahl or schroeder or both, to crack the forward lineup, because i dont think its as deep as the defense.

Who are the 17 year olds that were taken? They may have taken some young 88's last year but I don't believe they took any 89's.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal

GK:
Jhonas Enroth
Stefan Ridderwall

D:
Eric Moe
Victor Hedman -90
Niclas Andersén
Dennis Persson
Johan Motin -89
Kristoffer Berglund
Magnus Svanberg

F:
Mattias Tedenby -90
Mikael Backlund -89
Joakim Andersson -90
Thomas Larsson
Patrik Berglund
Oscar Möller -89
Tony Lagerström
Patrick Lundh
Robin Figren
Mario Kempe
Kim Johansson
Victor Sjödin
Johan Alcén

What about Simon Hjarlmarsson?

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
last year jvr. 2 years ago mueller and ej. 3 years ago kessel and brian lee.
I stand corrected. But do the 90's have any talent to compare to EJ, Kessel, or Mueller? Brian Lee's adition was a mistake. We all know it should have been Jack Johnson.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
I stand corrected. But do the 90's have any talent to compare to EJ, Kessel, or Mueller? Brian Lee's adition was a mistake. We all know it should have been Jack Johnson.

jordan schroeder comes to mind

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
jordan schroeder comes to mind

if wahl has similar stats as mueller did when he was 17 it will be tough to keep him off too.

1990s that have a shot for USA

jordan schroeder (ntdp) - probably the most likely bc hes on the u-18 team, has played up and has dynamic offensive capabilities. logical pick if they take a young guy, and wont look in over his head

mitch wahl (spokane) - probably more offensive, bigger, and better in traffic the schroeder, but hes not in the program, and has never been. at this point in time hes good enough to contribute as a 17 year old though.

phil mcrae (london) - im expecting a big year from him, he'll get much more top line minutes and special teams time. could be a sleeper if he starts out hot. plus he played in the program

aj jenks (plymouth) - im expecting a big year from him too, and he has great size, and will get top minutes, but he basically has no shot since he renegged on his commitment.

vinny saponari (ntdp) - not as offensive as schroeder but has better size. doubt they would take him over schroeder, but wouldnt rule out both going.

zach bogosian (peterborough) - best 1990 defenseman in the country, but the defense is too deep at the 88 and 89 birthyears for a 1990. unless theres a rash of injuries and nhl departures hes a long shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad