Speculation: Young "Unqualified" Free Agents

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Unless he's signed to a 1 year deal you're absolutely wrong. No one is going to trade for Trevor Daley at the deadline on a 3-4 year 4m+ contract.

Right last time Daley was traded it was for a cap dump. I don't see his value increasing on a tire fire. One year deal though I'd gamble on it,I guess. Absolutely nothing more in the way of term though.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
The list of UQFA appears exhaustive but just evaluating D-men there are around 30 players available. Suprising a good number of 2nd and a few 1st rounders in there. There are interesting prospects I'm sure some of you were more aware when they were drafted: Loic Leduk 23y/o 6'7'', Reece Scarlett 24y/o 216 AHL games, David Musil 6'4'' 24y/o 253 AHL games, Nick Ebert 23y/o 51pts in 157 AHL games.

Thinking a little more realistically for the Wings and their mindset I don't see why if we need a placeholder for a year or two why not sign up a defenseman that has NHL experience and an upside by their age alone. This is truly a situation that a players performance/value could improve even on a struggling club like Detroit. Who are the best of these current NHL D?:

Christian Folin MIN 26y/o 6'3'' shoots right 118 NHL games
Tim Erixon 26y/o 6'2" 1st round (23rd overall) 93 NHL games
Jyrki Jokipakka 25y/o 6'3" 150 NHL games
Adam Clendening 26 y/o 6"1" 2nd round 81 NHL games
Nikita Nesterov 24 y/o 5'11" 132 NHL games
Partick Wiercoch COL 26y/o 6'5" 268 NHL games
Eric Gelinas COL 26y/o 6'4" 189 NHL games

Obviously none of these guys are world beaters but so damn what? Neither is Daley and especially old ass Cambell. Are Ouellet and Jensen really any stronger??? I think not. These guys would be hungry and young enough to possibly develop in some helpful manner. Off the top of my head I'd research Folin...I'd want to know more about one of Minni's defensive castaways. Clendening didn't fit with NY's standards but he could be tolerable as a player. Either way the Wings could scout the best one of this group it would be a cheap and sensible solution for the state we're in.

God I wish we were rebuilding. :shakehead

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I was looking at Ebert, Musil and Finn. I'd rather add from the bottom than the top, but I don't have making the playoffs in mind for a few years. Don't think there's room for one of those guys but defenseman take longer to ripen I think any of them could still become NHL defenseman. Ebert I could see as another Jensen.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
I was looking at Ebert, Musil and Finn. I'd rather add from the bottom than the top, but I don't have making the playoffs in mind for a few years. Don't think there's room for one of those guys but defenseman take longer to ripen I think any of them could still become NHL defenseman. Ebert I could see as another Jensen.

I always liked Matt Finn coming up. Big fan of the way that kid plays the game. Fast, intense, physical competitor who can move the puck. But he fell all the way down to ECHL just last year.

Ebert is no Jensen. Ebert is too soft defensively. I mean it is slim pickings on defense in this category.
Morrow I think has lost his way with injuries and how few games he has actually dressed for in the. last 2 years.

Adam Clendening I think would be the most solid consistent D man at the NHL level on the list if I had to pick one dude.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I always liked Matt Finn coming up. Big fan of the way that kid plays the game. Fast, intense, physical competitor who can move the puck. But he fell all the way down to ECHL just last year.

Ebert is no Jensen. Ebert is too soft defensively. I mean it is slim pickings on defense in this category.
Morrow I think has lost his way with injuries and how few games he has actually dressed for in the. last 2 years.

Adam Clendening I think would be the most solid consistent D man at the NHL level on the list if I had to pick one dude.
Yeah I don't think there's room anyway. Finn and Ebert were guys who impressed me at the OHL level, but maybe they had a little extra shine on them for playing on that team with Fabbri Rychel Kosmachuk Mitchell McGinn Bertuzzi and the guaranteed 5 goals a game.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Yeah I don't think there's room anyway. Finn and Ebert were guys who impressed me at the OHL level, but maybe they had a little extra shine on them for playing on that team with Fabbri Rychel Kosmachuk Mitchell McGinn Bertuzzi and the guaranteed 5 goals a game.

Yeah Finn didn't pan out how I thought especially.

And there goes Clendening to Arizona quickly. Good gamble by them.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Yeah Finn didn't pan out how I thought especially.

And there goes Clendening to Arizona quickly. Good gamble by them.

Coyotes seem to making some very solid moves this off season. Probably too early to tell, but I think that they have a real shot at a playoff spot if some of their young kids take steps forward this season.

I do think it was a mistake for them to give up on Burmistrov, but I really hope Kenny reels this guy in on the short-term contract, something about him has always reminded me of Larionov.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Coyotes seem to making some very solid moves this off season. Probably too early to tell, but I think that they have a real shot at a playoff spot if some of their young kids take steps forward this season.

I do think it was a mistake for them to give up on Burmistrov, but I really hope Kenny reels this guy in on the short-term contract, something about him has always reminded me of Larionov.

Burmistrov just signed with the Canucks .
Joe Morrow to the Canadiens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad