Young Stars Tournament 2016

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Last year's Young Stars tourney was pretty brutal, too. These players have been spread across different leagues and are playing together for 3 games, under a dubious system from a questionable coach. I put no stock in what has transpired over the past week.

Maybe next year..?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Lots of doom and gloom around here. People are acting like this tournament is somehow reflective of the good young talent in the organization. There is 2, maybe 3 of the organization's top 10 prospects playing. How much different would it be if we iced everyone 21 and under in the organization. How do you think a line of Petan between Laine and Ehlers would look with Morrissey moving the puck to them. Followed by a 2nd line of Connor-Roslovic-Dano, all back stopped by Comrie. The organization is still bursting with young talent they just weren't brought to Predicton because they have moved past that. What's left ain't great but unless you are a young stud LHD there is no room for you anyways.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Seems all more important to get some proper d prospect depth in the system. Otherwise, forwards will not thrive in moose system if they can never get out of the zone. Will also miss the all important playoff run.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Seems all more important to get some proper d prospect depth in the system. Otherwise, forwards will not thrive in moose system if they can never get out of the zone. Will also miss the all important playoff run.

we were thinner on forward and there have been v nice forward prospects available at the top of the draft. can't knock our forward richness.

d is thin. but if you have a D core of:
Buff
Trouba
Myers
Morrissey

and you hope Stanley develops into something in 2-3 years, do you really complain?

yeah, getting a solid D prospect for 2 years from now is something that should be a priority, but it's not a 2016 priority. we needed forwards. we have forwards.
we have another 2 years to find 1-2 more stud d-men prospects. and we have the mysterious Niku as a prospect.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
There is 2, maybe 3 of the organization's top 10 prospects playing. How much different would it be if we iced everyone 21 and under in the organization. How do you think a line of Petan between Laine and Ehlers would look with Morrissey moving the puck to them. Followed by a 2nd line of Connor-Roslovic-Dano, all back stopped by Comrie.

Not saying you are wrong but this is true for other teams in the tournament too. Other teams in the tournament did not ice Sam Bennett, Draisaitl or Virtanen- who are Ehlers' draft cohorts. Or Monahan, Nurse, Horvat who are Petan/Morrissey's draft cohorts.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Not saying you are wrong but this is true for other teams in the tournament too. Other teams in the tournament did not ice Sam Bennett, Draisaitl or Virtanen- who are Ehlers' draft cohorts. Or Monahan, Nurse, Horvat who are Petan/Morrissey's draft cohorts.

True but I think the point was that we elected not to bring our best defenseman, centre, wing and goalie prospect all of which where eligible to attend.

But I also really don't put that much stock in this tournament. From a player perspective:

Connor was excellent
Roslovic was very good
Spacek and Harkins were solid
Lemiux was underwhelming and was really undisciplined
Stanley started off as a train-wreck but got better as the tournament went on. He still has a very long way to go.
Green was very meh for his first year here.

I expected more from O'Dell and Lodge.

Kostelek and Nogier were downright poor

Its still a very short 3 game sample and I think we iced what is the equivalent of a C team given the other players who where eligible to play.

Last edited:

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno

ok, cool.
so, stepping back, what did this tournament teach us about the Jets' prospects?
Stanley had 2 bad games and 1 good game. so?
Connor scored 1 goal but looked pretty good. so?
Roslovic looked real good out there but didn't have the points to back that.
We may have a legit 18 year old goaltending prospect that, all things considered, looked very good.
De Leo didn't look impressive. we give up on him?
Lemieux better learn to curb his temper or he won't be in the NHL.

these the only take-home messages? were there more?
even if this was it, i'm cool with walking away, saying that we have 2 forwards that look NHL ready, 1 D-man that's an interesting curiosity, and a nice goalie prospect. so, 4 legit prospects that i'm interested in.
considering how young the Jets are and how Laine and Niku didn't play, should we care about anything else?

Deif

Sep 20, 2014
ok, cool.
We may have a legit 18 year old goaltending prospect that, all things considered, looked very good.

even if this was it, i'm cool with walking away, saying that we have 2 forwards that look NHL ready, 1 D-man that's an interesting curiosity, and a nice goalie prospect. so, 4 legit prospects that i'm interested in.
considering how young the Jets are and how Laine and Niku didn't play, should we care about anything else?

Berdin has a lot of raw athleticism, very aggressive/mobile style of goaltending, and good at playing the puck.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Berdin has a lot of raw athleticism, very aggressive/mobile style of goaltending, and good at playing the puck.

kid was great for an 18 year old who plays in russia on a larger ice surface.
once he stops overcommitting, he'll be real nice.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
ok, cool.

I wasn't able to watch the games. Did Lemieux take any stupid penalties? What did his temper cause hime to do?

Deif

Sep 20, 2014
kid was great for an 18 year old who plays in russia on a larger ice surface.
once he stops overcommitting, he'll be real nice.

Not to mention, it was his first time playing for his new organization just on the verge of starting an entirely new lifestyle in a different continent. They also said on the broadcast that he doesn't speak any English.

He'll be 23 when Hellebuyck is 28, so thus begins the next wave of Jets goaltending prospects. Will be a fun journey to follow.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
He took a few real stupid ones today and got him self benched for his troubles.

I only saw one stupid penalty. He got another on a hit that I thought was pretty clean, but the Oiler acted like he was hit by a grenade.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
True but I think the point was that we elected not to bring our best defenseman, centre, wing and goalie prospect all of which where eligible to attend.

But I also really don't put that much stock in this tournament. From a player perspective:

Connor was excellent
Roslovic was very good
Spacek and Harkins were solid
Lemiux was underwhelming and was really undisciplined
Stanley started off as a train-wreck but got better as the tournament went on. He still has a very long way to go.
Green was very meh for his first year here.

I expected more from O'Dell and Lodge.

Kostelek and Nogier were downright poor

Its still a very short 3 game sample and I think we iced what is the equivalent of a C team given the other players who where eligible to play.

Good assessment.

Stanley and Green are too young to assess. Same with Berdin. D and goalie prospects that need time to develop.

Connor and Roslovic look like they could be legit top-9 NHLers.

Lemieux was out of sorts, but can't really judge until the main camp. Likely a year away, at least.

Lodge, Blomquist look like they'll never make the leap.

De Leo, Spacek and Harkins seem like longshots, but might have a chance.

Kostalek looks lost.

Not sure if any others matter much.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I think the Jets chose not to bring Petan Morrissey & Comrie because they know what they have with those guys. I think they wanted to see other players in larger roles than they otherwise would have been. To see how they respond to the challenge and to show them how much they still have to work on to get where they want to be.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think the Jets chose not to bring Petan Morrissey & Comrie because they know what they have with those guys. I think they wanted to see other players in larger roles than they otherwise would have been. To see how they respond to the challenge and to show them how much they still have to work on to get where they want to be.

Absolutely, they went more for assessment and development opportunities than winning.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Yup. Little value in winning a young prospect exhibition tourny. Value lies in giving developmental opportunities. The best of the kids will rev it up in camp with the big boys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->