You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Glad that's over.

The #1 pool of forward prospects in the NHL managed 4 goals in 4 games. :p:

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Yeah, it's disappointing none of our guys lit it up. I know this these games don't mean anything, but it's still disappointing.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Averages and tendencies can be rather uninformative. Understanding the exceptions and why they happen are something that advanced stats should help elucidate. Saying that very good players tend to succeed at an early age doesn't seem to take us very far. Figuring out which are more likely to be late bloomers strikes me as an interesting question.

it takes us about as far as an average NHL scouting department.

Outlier research is important but I don't trust anyone's ability with project players due to how bad everyone does with them.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba

Outlier research is important but I don't trust anyone's ability with project players due to how bad everyone does with them.

Exactly. Let's wait untill NHL teams are besting simple equations in regards to the non outliers before we break ourselves finding the needles in the haystacks.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Brian Strait, Julian Melchiori, Jan Kostalek, Nelson Nogier, Logan Stanley.

bright-future.jpg

Whileee

May 29, 2010

There's your challenge. Everybody is going to figure out the averages pretty quickly. That's going to be passé pretty soon. The next tier is going to be analytics that figure out how to be ahead of the curve, si to speak.

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
It's kinda funny actually.. It's not like the Canucks ever had great defense prospects but I don't remember the Moose D group ever being awful, and the old Moose were always playoff teams..

I wonder why they seem to be so woeful at accumulating quality defense this time around.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Exactly. Let's wait untill NHL teams are besting simple equations in regards to the non outliers before we break ourselves finding the needles in the haystacks.

Outliers aren't needles in haystacks, though. They are probably the result of some systematic variables that most analysts ignore to hammer at the averages.

I actually think that teams are going to transition to basic analytics faster than many might think. If we are still talking about the same stats that seem advanced now in five years, I'll be a bit surprised and disappointed.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
It's kinda funny actually.. It's not like the Canucks ever had great defense prospects but I don't remember the Moose D group ever being awful, and the old Moose were always playoff teams..

I wonder why they seem to be so woeful at accumulating quality defense this time around.

Gonna guess the old version of the Moose didn't insist on playing former draft picks just to... dunno, save face?

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Once everyone figures out the averages the relative advantage is lost and we're basically back to square one.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Age and experience is important on D. I think that with the Moose being almost entirely a development team, we are destined to see younger draft picks playing, even if they are crappy. I think it's a stupid idea, because playing with really bad players is probably not a good development environment. Chevy and Zinger are going to need to weed out the dead wood and bring in some effective players to support the real prospects.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Age and experience is important on D. I think that with the Moose being almost entirely a development team, we are destined to see younger draft picks playing, even if they are crappy. I think it's a stupid idea, because playing with really bad players is probably not a good development environment. Chevy and Zinger are going to need to weed out the dead wood and bring in some effective players to support the real prospects.

They can't even identify effective support players.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville

We might be good at drafting quality forwards, but you really have to think there is nobody in our scouting system that has a handle on scouting D-men. Other than Trouba & Morrissey (both first rounders) we've got zip & it looks like our prospects are slim.

The mere efforts that went on to acquire Stanley speaks volumes IMO. There were plenty of quality D-men that were still available at that point & with a high second-rounder. Instead... well we'll see but doesn't look good.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Outliers aren't needles in haystacks, though. They are probably the result of some systematic variables that most analysts ignore to hammer at the averages.

I actually think that teams are going to transition to basic analytics faster than many might think. If we are still talking about the same stats that seem advanced now in five years, I'll be a bit surprised and disappointed.

Sometimes they can be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad