Young player needing a good workout

HABSMANIA21*

Hi im a young player who wants a good workout. I wanna focus on speed and strength. im 13 so i cant really lift weights yet. I want to come to my team next year in top shape.

All tips and help will be great. Thank You

Walrus*

Pushups are a good workout for your upper body (especially pecs, triceps and shoulders). I started doing pushups almost every second day when I was 13 or 14 and it was very effective.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Go to Detroit in the bad parts. Call a black guy the N word and run for your life... you'll run.

Seriously though.

For good upper body work outs when I was into hockey majorly i'd do wall sits for my abs then for my arms I'd do knuckle pushups.

santiclaws

May 19, 2005
Here you go, off-ice circuit training from USA Hockey (look at the bottom of the page for tutorial in Word as well as two videos demonstrating the training). It is a very short, hard workout you can do anywhere. They have off-ice stick handling drills as well.

http://edit.usahockey.com/ntdp/main_site/main/ntdp/

Last edited:

HABSMANIA21*

Go to Detroit in the bad parts. Call a black guy the N word and run for your life... you'll run.

Seriously though.

For good upper body work outs when I was into hockey majorly i'd do wall sits for my abs then for my arms I'd do knuckle pushups.

ha... thank you guys for your help

LilWinger11

Aug 27, 2006
Connecticut
Swimming is really good for strength and stamina, with the added bonus for your joints that it's no-impact.

Plyometrics can help with quickness and strength, too. You could try a search on Amazon for "plyometrics" and see if you find any good books or DVDs. I think there are some out there.

HABSMANIA21*

ok i think im good for strenght now. anyone have some speed stuff.

thanks

saveourpens

Jul 3, 2006
Pittsburgh
alot of hockey players, do "HIT" training for speed. An example would be sprint like hell for 30-40 secs and then take a 15-25 sec break. Do that for 15 min with a 5 min warm up jog before, and a 5 minute "cool off" after. It'll be the worst 25 minutes of your life, but well worth it.

Maybe someone else can offer you some more insight into this

HABSMANIA21*

alot of hockey players, do "HIT" training for speed. An example would be sprint like hell for 30-40 secs and then take a 15-25 sec break. Do that for 15 min with a 5 min warm up jog before, and a 5 minute "cool off" after. It'll be the worst 25 minutes of your life, but well worth it.

\

im gonna try that

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com

Do this with laterial moves too, swap up left over right then right over left each time, try to increase your speed as you go.

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
Lunges and squats are great for building up your strength. I briefly tried the HIT before spraining my ankle pretty badly this summer but after only a week I was noticing more acceleration, I did it on a bike and did exactly what saveourpens said, except at right before I did the cool down I went full speed for as long as I could hold it. It's a really exhausting workout but it gets you pretty quick results.

HABSMANIA21*

Lunges and squats are great for building up your strength. I briefly tried the HIT before spraining my ankle pretty badly this summer but after only a week I was noticing more acceleration, I did it on a bike and did exactly what saveourpens said, except at right before I did the cool down I went full speed for as long as I could hold it. It's a really exhausting workout but it gets you pretty quick results.

i have heard about this HIT program what is it?

CamDegs13

Nose Face Killah
Feb 9, 2007
UMass
twitter.com
Hi im a young player who wants a good workout. I wanna focus on speed and strength. im 13 so i cant really lift weights yet. I want to come to my team next year in top shape.

All tips and help will be great. Thank You

13 isn't too early to lift weights. That's prob. about the time I started.

I suggest Squats no matter what. They are the best leg exercise you can do. Try to increase weight each set you do. Lunges and Calf Raises are other good leg exercises to do along with that. Another recommendation is to run, whether it is in your neighborhood or on an elliptical machine or a treadmill. Be sure to drink a lot of fluids during your workout.

I did everything I said until right now for about 4 years and I might be the fastest skater in my league.

HABSMANIA21*

niketraining.ca has some good stuff. speed,strength,conditioning,power and no weights

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
http://athleticstage.uop.edu/AthleticPerformance/exercise videos/Exercise Description Menu.htm

If you can pass the puberty test(body hair at the genitals), your ready for moderate weight training. Even prior to that, low weight high reps are not a problem for those under 13.

If a youngster can do pull ups,sit-ups and push ups then why not low weight use? The thing with the plyo and other speed/explosiveness work for the youngsters is it is lost very quickly. Leave a week gap between plyo sessions and much of the gains will be lost.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->