young goaltenders

Status
Not open for further replies.

"G"

Sep 10, 2003
Do you think someone of this goaltenders will be no.1 in 3 seasons?

Which one?

Ilya Bryzgalov
Hannu Toivonen
Cam Ward
Pascal Leclaire
Josh Harding
Ray Emery
David Leneveu

If no one will be, who do you think have the best chance of becomming the first

chaachie12

Mar 13, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
Visit site
I think Harding is still a year or two away from cracking the Wilds lineup. He will play in Houston next year, and depending on what the Wild choose to do with Manny could get a mid season call up, but I doubt it. I am guessing he will be a backup unti Rolosons deal is up (2 or 3 years?) and then take over. But that is just my opinion...

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Honestly, it depends on what you're looking for. Toivonen has Raycroft in front of him, and that alows Boston to give him ample developmental time. If Raycroft falters, or Toivonen performs so well that they'd be willing to trade Rayzor, i'd say he had a pretty decent shot at cracking. However, I don't see it as very likely unless one of those two scenario's play out. Or unless Boston decided to pull a 1a and 1b type scheme, which is unlikely considering both of these guys have what it takes to be a #1 on their own.

Bryzgalov is behind Jean-Sebastian Giguere, and is the only one on this list that has a superstar caliber goaltender on the depth charts ahead of him. I'd say chances are pretty good that he'll either be moved or play backup to Giguere until he hits the open market and possibly decides to leave town. He's also a decent bet to crack the starter position in three years. Also, Gerber in front of him could be a problem but that sub 2.50 goals against average in the AHL is pretty convincing. Breeze might be a victim of depth at the position. Sort of the way a Mika Noronen is a victim of depth in Buffalo.

Pascal Leclaire might be the only thing that keeps him from being able to earn a position in the Columbus organization. He's simply not ready, and I doubt he will be ready to take on a full time role in the NHL in three years. Not saying he's not a great prospect, he's just slow to develop as a great deal of them are. In 3 years I see Leclaire playing his first NHL season as a backup. Conditioning is going to be key for Leclaire in the coming years, and I hope he has what it takes to stick with it. Pretty unlikely he takes the job, in my opinion.

Josh Harding is behind quite a bit of depth in the Wild system. Roloson and Fernandez appear to have it pretty well covered right now and that is going to afford Harding some extra time to develop his game at the AHL level and i'm fairly confident that is where he's going to be in three years time from now. However, three years is a long time and Rolson is getting up there, so i'd not be very shocked if Harding was playing backup for the Wild in three seasons, with perhaps the chance to earn that starting position. However, his first year of professional hockey is going to be crucial to see how he fits into the plans of the Wild, who can afford to wait him out.

Cam Ward is certainly a wildcard. The only goaltender above him on the depth chart right now is Kevin Weekes and one could possibly argue Patrick DesRochers. People i've heard in the 'Canes camp have actually been whispering about the possibility of Ward playing backup next season if Arturs Irbe manages to get out of his contract and sign with another team or retire. However, it's very unlikely that Ward plays for the Hurricanes next season and i'd see him as a very real possibility to get significant playing time with either Lowell of the AHL or Florida of the ECHL. As per Harding, he's going to have to show something in his first professional season if he hopes to be a starter in the next three years. However, it's very unlikely that Carolina tries to rush him with Weekes in the net performing at a high level right now.

Ray Emery has a decent shot in Ottawa if he can somehow reign himself in. He has the reputation as a loose cannon and it suits him well. Despite his hijinx, he's a fantastic goaltending prospect and Ottawa has rewarded him with playing time in each of the past two seasons, which the majority of his time spent in the AHL. He's still very young at only 22 years old, but he already has the inside edge. If Lalime falters in the playoffs this year, i'd expect Emery to be dubbed the goalie of the future for the high powered Sens. Emery has a pretty decent shot, unless the Sens decide to go with more of an established commodity due to the fact that they compete for the cup every season. The strength of these Sens teams may hurt Emery's chances of grabbing a starting position within the next few seasons.

Dave LeNeveu had a pretty rocky season this year with Springfield, but he's still a fantastic prospect. Phoenix has no real franchise goaltender or potential one in the pipes besides LeNeveu and that certainly bodes well for his chances. However, he needs to improve on multiple facets of his game if he hopes to be playing in the NHL on regular basis. Though Springfield wasn't the best team in the AHL, LeNeveu probably should have produced a little better in his debut season if he had any hopes of being the incumbent in Phoenix.

Here is how i'd rank them in list style:

1. Bryzgalov*
2. Toivonen
3. Ward
4. Emery
5. LeClaire
6. Harding
7. LeNeveu

* Not with Current team.

User571

Apr 5, 2004
Between the Pipes
If Jiggy doesnt come back strong next year-I think Bryzgalov could see a lot of playing time. Penguins could use Gerber(?) Carolina and Phoenix both have unstable goaltending situations-Cam Ward or David LeNevue could each see playing time-LeNevue will see the most-Ward will be stuck behind Weekes.

User571

Apr 5, 2004
Between the Pipes
bob said:
Henrik Lunqvist
I somewhat agree-Lundqvist could see big minutes while Blackburn gets his shoulder fixed up. Perfect situation for NY-show off Lundqvist then trade him away when Blackburn comes back-someones going to get lucky in that trade-Lunqvist has big potential-to the Lightning?(Yes I know this is the wrong board for these predictions but im just putting it out there).

Skroob*

Blacburn could be back before many think. As soon as he had the surgery, they could already see the nerves moving back into place before they closed the skin over.

Plus he even says its starting to feel good already. If he had the surgery months ago, he could have been better by now. This lost year was huge for his development, but with his youth and mental toughness, i think he can overcome it.

Still, its nice to have Lundqvist and Labebera doing well, coming up behind him.

PSUhockey34

Jun 22, 2003
Austin,TX
These two are not on the list but really should be taken into consideration as legit number 1 goalies...Ouellet and Stana...one of those two will have the starting job in DC within the next 2 or 3 years

dw2927

Feb 13, 2004
Paavola, Mich.
I like Lundqvist, and Stefan Liv (Red wing prospect) ,but I think AHLers will have a better shot to top.

All of the mentioned will be starters at some point
I think Bryzgalov and LeClaire will be up there soon...and I really think Josh Harding is underrated

a couple of Finns who get honorable mention Ari Ahonen and Antero Niittymaki...Ahonen has a tough road with Marty Brodeur ahead of him, but Niittymaki may have a chance if recent Philly history repeats itself.

Robertsson 4-ever

Jan 26, 2004
Wexio
Skroob said:
Still, its nice to have Lundqvist and Labebera doing well, coming up behind him.

Henrik Lundqvist was the best player on the ice yesterday when Sweden beat Finland 3-1. The only goal he let in was when former NHLer Niklas Andersson skated with the puck in front of his own net and got checked, the finn made a crossice pass and the goal was empty. No help from defense there. He was huge in goal, and remember, he hasn't played any game for a couple of weeks. He will most probably be the starter for Sweden in the World Championships.

RDriesen

May 22, 2002
Visit site
leclaire isnt the only thing holding him up. i agree, he hasnt improved as much as i would like, but the cbj have a young goalie who is doing alright already on the team

Harry

Mar 13, 2004
Victoria BC
Cam Ward had a sensational year in Red Deer and is the reason they are still in the playoffs. He carried them in their last series.

rnyquist

Oct 24, 2003
Visit site
Robertsson 4-ever said:
Henrik Lundqvist was the best player on the ice yesterday when Sweden beat Finland 3-1. The only goal he let in was when former NHLer Niklas Andersson skated with the puck in front of his own net and got checked, the finn made a crossice pass and the goal was empty. No help from defense there. He was huge in goal, and remember, he hasn't played any game for a couple of weeks. He will most probably be the starter for Sweden in the World Championships.

ya Lundqvist is quietly moving into the top swedish goalie prospect. I know its early but suffice to say i could see this kid being a #1 goalie in a matter of a few years

rnyquist

Oct 24, 2003
Visit site
rivercanyon said:
He is the most promising since Lindberg this country has had.

No idea who Lindberg is so i don't know if your joking, but I have heard that Lundqvist has been given the tag of potentially being the best swedish goalie ever born

rnyquist

Oct 24, 2003
Visit site
Superfluous U said:
He's not joking. If it hadn't been for a fatal accident, Lindberg could have been great.

well then wow, thats quite a compliment for Lundqvist, but is he [Lundqvist] really better than guys like Tellqvist and the Philly goalie, Nittiymaki(sp)????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad