You have the top pick in the 2013 NHL Draft (Barkov or MacKinnon)

Who do you take 1st overall?

• Total voters

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Genuinely too close to call. Can't go wrong with either. I would have went Mack->Jones->Barkov in that order in their draft year though. Had Jones #1 for most of the year but MacK was too dominant in that Memorial Cup run.

All that said, I'd probably lean slightly towards Barkov. 2 big, 200 foot, stalwart C's up the middle- yes please. MacK provides a ton of speed but we have wingers that bring that already and size is a big of an issue for us (moreso than speed), at least right now. Ask me tomorrow or in an hour and I'd probably reconsider and change to Mack.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
I too have had Jones for many years at #1 (if you bother to look through my post history) but I don't think he has an argument at 1-2 anymore

Goose312

May 15, 2015
Between those two Barkov just because I think MacKinnon's high shooting percentage, abnormal powerplay production and lack of history producing at this level suggest this season is more likely to be an outlier for him while Barkov has been more steadily improving, doesn't have stats to suggest him being around a point per game or more is an oddity, and is a strong shut down player.

But if this season is an accurate depiction of what MacKinnon does going forward and he ends up a consistent 45+ goal 105+ point threat than I'd take that level of production over Barkov's PPG 200ft play.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Between those two Barkov just because I think MacKinnon's high shooting percentage, abnormal powerplay production and lack of history producing at this level suggest this season is more likely to be an outlier for him while Barkov has been more steadily improving, doesn't have stats to suggest him being around a point per game or more is an oddity, and is a strong shut down player.

But if this season is an accurate depiction of what MacKinnon does going forward and he ends up a consistent 45+ goal 105+ point threat than I'd take that level of production over Barkov's PPG 200ft play.

MacKinnon produced ~PPG before injuring his hand/wrist in year three and last year produced a similar proportion of his team's offense to guys like Seguin & Tarasenko. Only McDavid lead the 2nd leading scorer on his team by a larger proportion of his team's goals. That's not even getting into his big rookie year which he finished on a tear before putting up 10 points in the 1st round of the playoffs. So this production isn't coming out of nowhere.

Even now his SH% is out of this world like Karlsson's or Kerfoot's. His sh% is right amongst the elite that he's joined this year. And the PP was coached by Tim f***ing Army for years before this season, so the coaching change is an obvious factor than can be pointed to as a direct cause of the change in the Avs PP efficiency.

I love Sasha, so have no qualms with anyone taking him here, but MacKinnon's "previous production" needs to be taken in context.

Reactions: Weast

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
For the Flames, MacKinnon. He looked great with Gaudreau at the World Cup.

Flames tried badly to trade up to get one of these players. In retrospect given that the Flames other two 2013 first rounders haven't really done much, I'd definitely swap them and Monahan for either player. Those teams are probably happy they said no.

barkovcanfinnish

remember to breathe
Sep 22, 2014
Chicago, IL
Finally, a MacKinnon v Barkov poll with the correct result.

You guys can have this one. We’ll take the previous dozen ;)

In all seriousness, I would’ve taken MacKinnon back in 2013. With that said, If I could go back knowing what I know now, I’d take Barkov at #1 because he’s really been incredible for us.

Either choice is a great choice and I have no shame in admitting that.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I too have had Jones for many years at #1 (if you bother to look through my post history) but I don't think he has an argument at 1-2 anymore
How so? He's having a career year (50 pts) and is in contention for most goals by a defenseman(15)

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
Jones is going to be competing for the Norris regularly. MacKinnon is on his way to competing for the Art Ross/Hart regularly. Barkov is going to be competing for the Selke regularly.

Jones belongs in the conversation for sure.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
and barkov has been playing this level his whole career?/logic

Barkov's been great for years though, especially defensively, only thing interrupting is the injury. Just because you didn't hear him get hyped doesn't mean his performance wasn't there.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
people on here think saying "better overall" means they're better

but barkovs offensive influence is no where near mackinnons

is mackinnon a defensive slouch?

barkov ain't taking games over like mackinnon has been doing

I guess barkov is better than mcdavid too then

not to say they're the same player, but I think you get my point

No, what kinda fallacy is that

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015

Yea I think the answer will be clearer after next season

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I believe Werenski has the potential to challenge Jones as 1D in Columbus
It's entirely possible, but it's gonna be a few seasons. Jones has elevated his play to a new level this season, on both ends of the ice.

He and Zach push each other and I'm hoping next season they both remain healthy all season and both hit 50+ pts.

It's entirely possible they will be 1-2 in goals scored by a dman next season.

But onto the topic at hand, what takes Jones out of contention? Before this season MacKinnon had some question marks to be answered.

Meanwhile since being traded from 3rd line duty in Nashville he's blossomed into a bonafide two way #1D who can eat minutes in any situation.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
It's entirely possible, but it's gonna be a few seasons. Jones has elevated his play to a new level this season, on both ends of the ice.

He and Zach push each other and I'm hoping next season they both remain healthy all season and both hit 50+ pts.

It's entirely possible they will be 1-2 in goals scored by a dman next season.

But onto the topic at hand, what takes Jones out of contention? Before this season MacKinnon had some question marks to be answered.

Meanwhile since being traded from 3rd line duty in Nashville he's blossomed into a bonafide two way #1D who can eat minutes in any situation.

Well, do people really think Werenski is more valuable than MacKinnon or Barkov? If not I don't think Jones should be either, and yes Jones has been better this season but going forward it will be close between the two D

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
MacKinnon at the time, MacKinnon now. Jones and Barkov close 2nd.

Still surprised Jones slipped to 4.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Barkov's been great for years though, especially defensively, only thing interrupting is the injury. Just because you didn't hear him get hyped doesn't mean his performance wasn't there.

all I have to do is going on hockeydb
it's not like I've never heard of the guy

mackinnon had good seasons too

so again

it's not like barkov was playing at this level the whole time

you're giving barkov the benefit of the doubt for whatever reason while ignoring mackinnons who's playing like the best hockey player in the league

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad