You guys are the best, btw.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Sometimes I wonder why I'm a sports fan at all.

I mean, life is full of enough frustrating ******** as it is without actively volunteering for more platefuls of it -- and being a fan of a team like Your Carolina Hurricanes often feels like it's just begging for heartache for no reason.

I've had reason to reflect more on my fandom -- just lately in general, and today in particular -- and I kinda think I've figured out what it is that keeps me investing my time and emotional energy in this dumb stickpuck sport.

It's you guys, mostly.

I spend a lot of time on this board, as it turns out!

Like, a *lot* of time. It's basically wired into my fingers. When I'm bored at work, when I'm on the crapper with my phone, when I should probably be listening to my wife, I'm surfing to see what's new with you guys.

I've spent a big chunk of my life in participating in, and ultimately making my living from, online communities. I still remember dialing up BBSes from my old 9600 baud modem when I was a goofy-looking, nerdy, lonely kid in Zebulon NC. Those old message board days were amazing. Before the internet, they connected me to worlds and people that I didn't know existed -- and one of the reasons I've got such a fondness for HFB is that it hearkens back to those days. The only ones who stick around a message board, at this point, are the ones who *really* want to stick around.

One of the things I've learned as I've studied community over the years is that the thing you're talking about is never just the thing you're talking about. We talk about the Canes, sure -- that's why we're here -- but we're really talking about ourselves and each other. Day jobs, health scares, lots of beer, food, music, the proper use of Klingon bat'leths, Chad LaRose's dreamy smiles, wives hot and otherwise, maybe even a little politics now and then before we regain our senses.

On one hand, I don't know any of you guys at all. In another way, I know you better than I know some of my own family members. You certainly get more of my time and attention than some of those family members.

And from what I've seen, y'all are the tops. You're smart, passionate, deeply knowledgeable fans of a franchise that gets constantly **** on and ignored. Collectively, you all know Carolina Hurricanes hockey better than damned near anybody on the planet, with the (possible) exception of people of who actually work in the org. For my money, you're the best little fan base of any team of any sport in the world, and I mean that.

And because we're such a tight knit little group, I think maybe I react a little more... uh, aggressively?... than I might otherwise when some carpetbagging Big Hockey types come in and throw their weight around.

If I should ever shoot my mouth off once too often one day and end up with the asterisk next to my name, I'd hate to have never told you how much I value our friendship in this weird little corner of the internet.

Dave, GP, THH, thanks for everything you do to keep this motley crew together.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: sheriff bart

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
giphy.gif

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I don't know what's going on, but here's a picture of an adorable puppy.

3dc5184a12341cb540006da21cf803d2--baby-beagle-beagle-puppies.jpg

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Back at you Hank. As much as this place gets a little crazy, we love having you guys around. It takes a dedicated group to be around in a ****** situation like we've been in for the past few years when you know the team's not that close to competing but we're also not bad enough to give us the type of player to get hope for the future. Things are starting to get better and the light is looking like it might finally be at the end of the tunnel. So all I'm saying is, thanks for sticking with us on this wacky ride guys, and let's hope things turn for the better starting this season. This offseason can't end soon enough.

Lempo

Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
If I should ever shoot my mouth off once too often one day and end up with the asterisk next to my name, I'd hate to have never told you how much I value our friendship in this weird little corner of the internet.

In every man's life there comes a moment when he must stop being passive and become passive-aggressive. If you have to go, that is the proper way to go, and we salute you for it sir.

Please don't today or in long time though.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
We already had a "whole lotta love" thread...I hate when someone just stops by this board and starts a new thread when there is a perfectly good thread already here.

:sarcasm:

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Ugh, what is this mushy crap? I'm going to puke...QUICK, SOMEONE SAY SOMETHING ASININE :naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->