Salary Cap: Yohe! There's a Bombulie in the Molinari sauce! (Not da media thread.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chili Goal

Professor of Goonism
May 27, 2009
Just throw Sutter in a package for Kessel with a package of futures not named Pouliot and call it a day at this point. I'm starting to fear our top-6 next year will be Kapanen-Crosby-Hornqvist and Perron-Malkin-Plotnikov.

oh, have no fear, we're getting a top-6 winger. 'ol Jim is walking around Lauderdale right now with his putter. this is happening. the only question is by what magnitude he will overpay.

he may be the most transparent GM in the league. opposing GMs must love dealing with him.

penguins2946*

Well...you'd certainly hope so but this is Rutherford we're talking about. I believe Maatta is safe but I could see him moving Pouliot, decreasing our defensive depth.

It's sad that I'm more nervous than excited about a Pens trade :laugh: because I just have a feeling the old man is going to get fleeced.

I'd be ok with trading Pooh if it was just him, a pick or two, and Scuderi for Kessel.

I can't remember where, but I specifically remember reading somewhere that Pouliot won't be traded. That's why I'm saying he wouldn't be included.

Chili Goal

Professor of Goonism
May 27, 2009
at the risk of repeating myself - why leverage ourselves to the hilt for Skinner or Kessel when we can pony up for our 2016 2nd and offer sheet Saad?

wouldn't that path require the fewest current assets to pull off?

penguins2946*

at the risk of repeating myself - why leverage ourselves to the hilt for Skinner or Kessel when we can pony up for our 2016 2nd and offer sheet Saad?

Because there is absolutely no indication that Saad wants to leave Chicago or that Chicago wouldn't match any offersheet thrown at Saad?

gdsmack267

Sep 11, 2010
Rochester, NY
http://www.todaysslapshot.com/from-the-ice/dreger-hearing-rumblings-of-penguins-blues-trade/

“But I keep hearing rumblings that if all else fails, Pittsburgh and St. Louis might do something just to shake things up a little bit for both clubs. So maybe we see Oshie to the Pittsburgh Penguins with a young prospect like Ty Rattie, as an example, and then coming back the other way is Brandon Sutter of the St. Louis Blues. I mean, those are some of the rumblings that kind of dropped in my lap last night."

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
What if 52 points his Saad's ceiling? You really want to lose those picks AND be paying him $6.5-$7.5 mil? At 22 he could keep getting better, or he could already be at his ceiling, 3 seasons isn't a ton to go on.

Just playing devil's advocate.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
http://www.todaysslapshot.com/from-the-ice/dreger-hearing-rumblings-of-penguins-blues-trade/

“But I keep hearing rumblings that if all else fails, Pittsburgh and St. Louis might do something just to shake things up a little bit for both clubs. So maybe we see Oshie to the Pittsburgh Penguins with a young prospect like Ty Rattie, as an example, and then coming back the other way is Brandon Sutter of the St. Louis Blues. I mean, those are some of the rumblings that kind of dropped in my lap last night."

That would be awesome depending on who is added to Sutter to get those two :handclap:

penguins2946*

Holy **** is Dreger out to lunch on that. Oshie might be a top-6 forward? Pittsburgh is deep? They'd do Oshie and Rattie for Sutter? Downright laughable.

Wes C Addle

Bernard Shakey
Jul 4, 2007
Allentown, Pa

Was Rattie a Portland guy back in Juniors?

BigBenSF*

That's just not even remotely true, unless you think that Toronto is in any leverage to get Maatta, Pouliot, Kapanen, Sundqvist, Bennett and everyone else. They'll get 2 young players max, and neither of those 2 will be Maatta or Pouliot.

marked and saved for future viewing

penguins2946*

marked and saved for future viewing

Excellent argument as usual. I guess JR calling Maatta a part of the core and JR saying Pouliot is untouchable means nothing I guess.

I wouldn't be surprised for JR to go back on his word and trade Pouliot, but I'm not expecting it. Maatta isn't being traded period.

I believe so, Blues are pretty stacked though at wing so wouldnt shock me to see them move him

He may be losing his waiver eligibility too.

TheCraigAdamsZone

Apr 24, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Excellent argument as usual. I guess JR calling Maatta a part of the core and JR saying Pouliot is untouchable means nothing I guess.

I wouldn't be surprised for JR to go back on his word and trade Pouliot, but I'm not expecting it. Maatta isn't being traded period.

He may be losing his waiver eligibility too.

Aside from me not thinking Rutherford is smart enough to do this, would it ever occur to anyone that he's talking up his assets to make them appear more valuable?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Skinner is not at all slow, and he's the same size as Crosby. His bad season last year is concerning, but every Canes player had a bad season last year.

Skinner's not a fast skater. He's a good skater because of his figure skating background (edges, etc), but he's probably a hair above Perron in terms of actual speed.

And as far as the Canes go, Skinner finished 5th in team scoring, behind Victor Rask.

penguins2946*

Aside from me not thinking Rutherford is smart enough to do this, would it ever occur to anyone that he's talking up his assets to make them appear more valuable?

The first part answers the second part. He's a loudmouth that likes to talk, he's not drumming up value for anyone.

Now people see why I didn't want Soderberg. That's an asinine price.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
The first part answers the second part. He's a loudmouth that likes to talk, he's not drumming up value for anyone.

Now people see why I didn't want Soderberg. That's an asinine price.

Hey, people here were saying they'd sign him for 5 years at $5.5M a year so that would be considered a steal to some.

My top choice is Fehr or Tikhonov for 3C next year while Sundqvist develops into that role and starts as our 4C.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
This kind of mentality is exactly what this organization needs to lose. We've been pissing away our future year in and year out. Have we won anything?

No question we've pissed our future away, but adding a Phil Kessel is different. This isn't a stupid trade for Daniel Winnik. This is a legit star player, and FINALLY the guy to replace the departure of Marian Hossa SEVEN summers ago! Think about it.

Pissing picks and prospects away for bandaids and rentals is very different from trading for an elite long term solution

Exactly.

Right, but we'd be trading away another first round pick and some more assets in our system to get him. I just don't think he's the solution. I would obviously hope I'm wrong, but it feels like a big gamble to me that Rutherford is too comfortable to make.

Is Phil Kessel the solution? By himself, no. He, added to Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Patric Hornqvist, David Perron and hopefully the likes of Sundqvist, Kapanen and Bennett...that's the solution.

It takes a team to win, not three people.

The Blackhawks have kept three people (Toews, Kane, Keith) and remade their team three times and won three times.

And yet, they always dress 18 skaters and 2 goalies...something WE DID NOT DO this season.

Just throw Sutter in a package for Kessel with a package of futures not named Pouliot and call it a day at this point. I'm starting to fear our top-6 next year will be Kapanen-Crosby-Hornqvist and Perron-Malkin-Plotnikov.

Agreed, but I would not deal Kapanen either.

I dont want Kessel at all, this teams young kids will all be gone. Amount of people on this board wanting him is insane

Again, this isn't pissing away the youth for nothing. This is adding a legit scorer and a guy we can finally say "hey, now he's a WINGER!"

Some people have posted some lineups over the past couple of days where Kessel is a part of the top-6 AND the team has what I consider incredibly forward depth. The defense is a bit light, but that has to happen at some point with all of these kids.

I think it's doable. I don't think it's happening, but I think it's doable.

Absolutely.

Kessel is available. Chicago will do everything in their power to keep Saad. The path is a LOT simpler with Kessel, clearly.

Also, what makes you think it'll be so easy to reacquire our 2nd round pick from a team (Toronto) ONLY interested in a total rebuild right now.

Come on.

I would absolutely LOVE getting Oshie and Rattie in one deal. Probably too good to be true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->